Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I hear that this is a place that we can post bleps and mlems? MY GIRLFRIEND got me into reptiles, and it turns out making terrariums is a lot of fun. The tall crested gecko enclosure with the humidifier plumbed into it is an experiment with Great Stuff foam-based backgrounds, tree trunk themed, with cork rounds as planters. The leopard gecko has a 30g with terra cotta hides, succulents, and clay we dug up from the creek to make and hold together the planter beds. The chameleon is spoiled and lives in a Reptibreeze in a Hibiscus with a Pothos growth.

Melon, the Veiled:

Def, the Lep:

Crested Bleps, Big, Medium, and Tiny:

(Big is a 70 gram female. You can see her up front in this last picture.)

The full gallery has these but also more oh my:
http://imgur.com/a/nVFxX

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Omg we got new baby corn snakes in at work and I'm amazed that my Spaghetti was ever that tiny. I attempted to make him a leash the other day, but it didn't work out so great. Hopefully, he had fun crawling around outside.

I was just going through this thread because I'm getting a Bearded Dragon and I realized I'm your friend on facebook.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I think my Spider Ball is broken. Instead of being super shy and hiding all the time, she likes to strike at me. Tagged me like 3 times today while checking to make sure she had a complete shed. She's been feisty like that since I got her in October.

Actually so has the female tokay I got at that same show. My big ole male calmed down after like a month and is patiently waiting for his gf to grow big enough to move in together. Gonna be a while since I've had him close to 3 years now. I can basically poke him in the face all day and nothing will happen. At least twice a week she barks at me when I mist her enclosure. Not to mention all the barking, spitting, false striking and actual strikes when trying to handle her.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

This is Pepe Silvia

I just got him and I'm having a hard time getting him to eat. I leave some veggies out for him during the day that he doesn't touch. I have crickets that I'm trying to hand feed him but he doesn't pay attention to them when I hold them out to him. Then they eventually escape and climb under his rocks, which then means I have to hunt for them because I hear they eat beardie eyes. He caught 2 of them this morning but I didn't have time to wait for him to notice me holding them before I had to head out for class.

I've heard other people tell me not to even bother with crickets

I've had people tell me to feed them like you would snakes, in a seperate feeding container.

I've had people tell me commercial food is the best way to go.

Thoughts, thread?

Edit: He is the most docile adorable little nugget ever and he just sits on my shoulder and lets me scritch his little chin like a cat omg I love him

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Science WHORE posted:

I was just going through this thread because I'm getting a Bearded Dragon and I realized I'm your friend on facebook.

:hf: :D

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Science WHORE posted:

This is Pepe Silvia

Are you always holding him or the food? Have you tried just putting it in a dish in his cage and letting him find it? How long ago did you get him? He's likely terrified of all the new things, and it will likely be 2-3 weeks before he even gets accustomed to his cage. When I moved states earlier this year, a couple of my lizards sulked for three weeks and refused to eat.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 19, 2016

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I got him to eat a couple of them by putting him in one of my bigger empty tanks and letting him chase it but he got super distracted by his reflection and started chasing that instead. I guess ill just have to find a spare box or tupperware container for now. He won't go for hand feeding at all and actively ignores the lovely salad that I cut up for him. He doesn't touch his water at all either.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Baby beardies are the cutest thing ever. Shame they grow into big sedentary grumps like mine.

She didn't eat veggies until she was quite a bit older, but eats them happily now. Don't think I've seen her touch water in the whole year I have had her, but still not dead so doesn't seem to matter that much.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
I think young beardies prefer insects, and as they get older, yeah, more veggies, so sounds normal. You can try getting a small tupperware container, punching a bunch of holes in the lid, then covering all four sides of the tupperware container with brown paper (on the outside) so he can't see his reflection well and he can't see outside of it. I used the above as travel cages when I moved mine, and then I kept using them as feeding containers for one of them (one that's very young and gets freaked out by transparent containers).

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ireland Sucks posted:

Baby beardies are the cutest thing ever. Shame they grow into big sedentary grumps like mine.

But the big, sedentary grumps are the best!

:kimchi:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Cless Alvein posted:

I think my Spider Ball is broken. Instead of being super shy and hiding all the time, she likes to strike at me. Tagged me like 3 times today while checking to make sure she had a complete shed. She's been feisty like that since I got her in October.

Actually so has the female tokay I got at that same show. My big ole male calmed down after like a month and is patiently waiting for his gf to grow big enough to move in together. Gonna be a while since I've had him close to 3 years now. I can basically poke him in the face all day and nothing will happen. At least twice a week she barks at me when I mist her enclosure. Not to mention all the barking, spitting, false striking and actual strikes when trying to handle her.

We have only one spider morph left, a bumblebee, and after her I am done with the morphs entirely. Our female spider was like that and never calmed down. She especially went after me when I had to remove her moldy eggs...and for the next three years did not stop. She didn't have obvious head wobble but the bumblebee does.

$400 later and one of our adult leopard tortoises' URI has cleared up. $400 and injections every three days. Ever try to inject a tort? It is not easy. Giving a ball python a shot is easier. Giving pills to cats is easier. But the male still has bubbles.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

But the big, sedentary grumps are the best!

:kimchi:

Dear god... well a mother could love them

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Put him in a carboard box for feeding crickets today because I didn't have a tupperware container. Didn't eat anything :( So far he's had 3 crickets in 3 days. I'm so worried, he's so smol.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hit up a Petco and get some waxworms (they should be in a small refrigerator in the reptile section, make sure to look inside the container before you buy it to make sure they're not all dead) and one of these dishes so they can't climb out, and just leave some waxworms in his cage all day. I agree with everyone else that he's probably just stressed about everything, and will be more likely to eat when he's alone in the middle of the day. Waxworms are too fatty to be a primary food source, they're basically reptile candy, but at least you'll be getting something in him. Once he's eating regularly you can try switching to less-tasty but healthier tiny mealworms.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

If you've just got him he could still be settling in, I don't think it's abnormal for them to be off their food for a bit after a move. They do seem to sulk a lot if stuff isn't right.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

His little mouth is super pale and the lines on his neck and belly have gotten darker. I'm going to attribute it to still getting used to the new place. I decided on a moist baby dragon food that I have to assist feed him because he hasn't eaten or pooped at all. Hopefully after a week or so he'll start eating on his own and acclimate. I've been so worried about the little guy though.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I haven't posted here for a while. Life stuff happens, change is bad.

Also I have some bullsnake eggs, should be hatching soon. Anybody want a snekcam?

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Baby snek cam sounds cool.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yes! Snekcam!

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Nitrate posted:

I haven't posted here for a while. Life stuff happens, change is bad.

Also I have some bullsnake eggs, should be hatching soon. Anybody want a snekcam?

Please!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Man I'm gonna get a water dragon babby and I'm realizing I have no idea how to build a good terrarium anymore. I had the most awesome water dragon (pictured in avatar) for near on thirteen years until he unfortunately passed some months back. The thing is, when he was growing out of his small tank way back we built a bigger one... that was never finished, because he didn't want to live in one. He gradually wanted to spend more time outside the tank until he fully expected to be let out immediately at 6 am and only put back in at 6 pm to sleep or he'd be miserable. Interestingly, he always wanted to be in the kitchen, in the center of the most activity possible, and he was unhappy if there were no people to watch. As long as he could stay out around in the apartment and there were people around, he was happy. (by all the usual water dragony measures - alert, calm, curious and bright green) Eventually he picked out some sleeping spots around the kitchen and decided to live there completely. We accommodated him with heating, UV lighting and regular baths. He was very healthy and never ill in any notable way in his life until I guess his heart or lungs gave out so it must have worked out well enough.

I'm maybe a bit paranoid about the health of my animals so I basically ran everything by a very good vet and went for a check up every time there was anything off. (which you will notice really fast if you have the kind of lizard who's happy to be interacted with on a daily basis!)

So, now I'm looking to get another water dragon, and though I have 13 years of experience with the species I have very little experience building habitats. :v: I'd never assume a lizard would want to live out in an apartment, or would necessarily be comfortable with that level of human interaction - I started out by the book with my old lizard too, and those were things he essentially decided he wanted himself. I have a largely unfurnished terrarium sized for a single adult water dragon that went completely unused. Would it be okay to put a baby in there?

I'm also gonna have to do a bunch of work to figure out how I'm gonna set up all the branches and in particular heating and lighting, because I assume I'm gonna need more than one heat lamp due to the size of it. There's another question mark with heat lights for me: When they're on the inside of the terrarium, how do you make them safe so that the animal can't burn itself on it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, what, didn't he like poo poo all over your kitchen? Gross.

If you use a screen top, you can position your heatlamp outside of the terrarium, which is really what I'd recommend for a climbing animal. But I think the key thing is to have your heatlamp also be an actual lamp - don't use one of those ceramic heaters - because the animal usually associates the light source as "the sun" which is also the heat source.

At least, that's the case for a veiled chameleon. I'm not sure if water dragons are different.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Leperflesh posted:

So, what, didn't he like poo poo all over your kitchen? Gross.
Nah, they're weirdly particular about where they'll poo poo. He'd either wait to get into a bath or do it on the floor (always an empty spot of floor, no carpet, very considerate) in a particular spot in the hall. Basically what they do is, if water is available they'll do it there, if not, they'll pick some spot very deliberately according to some lizardly criteria.

Leperflesh posted:

If you use a screen top, you can position your heatlamp outside of the terrarium, which is really what I'd recommend for a climbing animal. But I think the key thing is to have your heatlamp also be an actual lamp - don't use one of those ceramic heaters - because the animal usually associates the light source as "the sun" which is also the heat source.
Yeah, what throws me off is I think if the only heat source is at the top I think the lower half of the enclosure will be very cold. I know you're supposed to have have colder and hotter spots but I'm not sure having the only heat source(s) at the top is good enough. I better go set something up and see how it looks with a thermometer.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

dovetaile posted:

Our 3 year old female beardie has fibrous sarcoma. Any tips/anecdotes? (I'm used to cancer in rodents which is swift and brutal.)

Just to let you and the thread know, last shed (about two weeks ago) Sparky's mass revealed itself again and has now doubled in size since. She continues to not show discomfort that I am aware of and is eating as we speak. I've downgraded her from a jumbo frozen/thaw rat to eight live mice to keep her from stretching her skin too much and give her some hunting fun for her last few feedings.

I'm obviously bummed out and concerned, as she cut the mass on one of her branches and although it's scabbed over just fine it is doing the drat cancer thing of not healing properly, so I'm seriously keeping a sharp eye on her and getting ready to euth. I know I posed a similar question before but is there anything else I should do to improve her quality of life? I think 'look for evidence of pain" is a bit of a low bar but it's all I've got. I've been taking her out more often to slither around on the couch and stuff, but she seems chill either way.

I am also considering giving her terrarium to a friend so their python can have an upgrade once she passes. Other than scrubbing and bleach is there anything I should keep in mind while cleaning the tank to give to another reptile?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ah, poor Sparky... :( You have my sympathy, Chaos.

Sounds like you're doing what you can. Feed some favorite foods, offer lots of attention, and steel yourself for the farewell.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
In happier news, Buttercup recently turned a year old and has gone from this tiny cute monster. Into this giant cute monster.

This is from the breeder and s/he is about a month? old at this point.

About 2 months old at this point when I received the bugger.

And this is now.

I wish I had gotten a BTS sooner, besides the fairly big enclosure requirements, they are super easy to take care of and fairly neat personalities. Pretty inquisitive and likes exploring my room. Although most of the time, he just sleeps under my pillows all day.

I keep the tank fairly basic. Lots of cypress mulch to burrow in. A big rear end bowl of water to drink and take a dip in. And a small bowl of dry dog food to nibble on if he gets hungry. He really loves blueberries and will also rip strawberries out of your hand to destroy on his own.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Chaosfeather posted:

Just to let you and the thread know, last shed (about two weeks ago) Sparky's mass revealed itself again and has now doubled in size since. She continues to not show discomfort that I am aware of and is eating as we speak. I've downgraded her from a jumbo frozen/thaw rat to eight live mice to keep her from stretching her skin too much and give her some hunting fun for her last few feedings.

I'm obviously bummed out and concerned, as she cut the mass on one of her branches and although it's scabbed over just fine it is doing the drat cancer thing of not healing properly, so I'm seriously keeping a sharp eye on her and getting ready to euth. I know I posed a similar question before but is there anything else I should do to improve her quality of life? I think 'look for evidence of pain" is a bit of a low bar but it's all I've got. I've been taking her out more often to slither around on the couch and stuff, but she seems chill either way.

I am also considering giving her terrarium to a friend so their python can have an upgrade once she passes. Other than scrubbing and bleach is there anything I should keep in mind while cleaning the tank to give to another reptile?

I also have to give a sad update on our beardie. Last Thursday, we had to have her put to sleep. We'd done surgery on the first tumor (the one I posted about) but three weeks later it grew back bigger. By the time we had her euth'd it had begun bleeding and, according to the doc, had outgrown it's blood supply.

Cless, Buttercup is adorable! That tongue :3:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oh, drat I'm sorry Dovetaile. I know your beardie was well taken care of to the very end.

Norris, thank you for the kind words.

Cless, I'm seconding that Buttercup is adorable. Is there any way I can request a picture of him/her eating a strawberry? That seems like it would be super cute.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I have a handful of beardie questions and would love any input.

This is Lazarus. He's nine years old and also he is awesome.

Feeding: I give him fresh kale daily, which he eats happily, and I also feed him roaches.

1) So you dust the roaches ~20-30 min beforehand with calcium, and you also feed them these green cubes of roach food...how often do you feed the roaches? What's the recommended interval between feeding the roaches food and feeding Lazarus roaches? I get the idea of gut-loading them so they're as nutritious as possible, but what should that look like from a time standpoint?

2) I've been nabbing these roaches with a needlenose pliers and feeding em to Lazarus by hand, which he handles just fine. Is that in any way not recommended? Is that a better or worse idea than just letting a couple roaches into the enclosure and having him track them down himself?

Health/Lighting

Lazarus has been pretty low-activity in the last week. Very little basking, a lot of time under his shelter. When I bring him out, he perks up. I bought a digital thermometer and verified that the temp at his basking spot is sitting at 85°; it sounds like this is way too low? I got the whole setup gifted to me from an owner who was moving and didn't have room, so everything is largely untouched (I bought a new UV-B tube as I understand they can lose their pizzazz after six months or so?). I feel terrible that he's hasn't been getting enough heat, but assumed everything was kosher with the lighting/heat setup in the enclosure as-is when I got it a couple months ago.

The one in there now is a 120W. It's about 9" from bulb to basking spot. I'm going to get a new heat bulb today, so I guess questions are

1) That's the right move (duh)?

2) Assuming that's all it is and he's just colder than he wants to be, he should perk right up, i.e. no permanent damage or anything?

3) This guy hasn't shed that I'm aware of since I got him three months ago. Is that any cause for concern? Will it be obvious when it's happening?

5) I've read that the average lifespan of a bearded dragon is 10-14 years, but I think it was in this thread that I read of one who lived to the age of 17. Is 10-14 generally accurate, or is it typical for healthy and well-cared-for specimens to live longer? (not that it matters especially, just curious)

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I hope he's going to be OK, he's really loving cool and super friendly and I just love him.

EDIT: Disregard the lighting questions, I've concluded that the bulb is dying. Replacing today with a new 100° bulb and will see how that helps.

rivetz fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 6, 2016

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Hi Herp thread.

Weird story. So I was at a carnival, playing games trying to win a stuffed animal to impress my wife. I played a game where you had to try to throw ping pong balls into floating ash trays. Well long story short, my ball ends up in a red ash tray, of which there is only one. I assume I won the big prize.

Turns out, the grand prize wasn't a huge stuffed animal. It was a turtle. The carnie hands me a tiny red eared slider in a plastic cup with a bit of water and a care sheet. I know nothing at all about turtles, how to take care of a turtle, or anything.

I felt responsible for the little guy though, so I'm trying my best. I bought an aquatic turtle starter kit from petco and set it up at my house. Everything seemed to be going fine for a while. Recently though, the turtle has been basking all day with his eyes closed, and one of the scales on his shell turned gray. I takes quite an effort to rouse him. He still eats when I put him in his feeding tub but beyond that he is not active, like at all. I think he is very sick and probably dying :(

Today I'm going to do a complete water change (I know about dechlorinating the water) and change the filter to see if that entices him back into the water.

Maybe its for the best if he doesn't make it. Reading the thread it seems they are quite gross and need a huge tank once they are bigger. I think his destiny was to die; that carnie is irresponsible to just be giving out turtles like that, probably mostly to kids. I'm sure almost all of them die.

Any advice from experienced owners appreciated.

evilcat
May 16, 2009

proctorbot posted:

Hi Herp thread.

Weird story. So I was at a carnival, playing games trying to win a stuffed animal to impress my wife. I played a game where you had to try to throw ping pong balls into floating ash trays. Well long story short, my ball ends up in a red ash tray, of which there is only one. I assume I won the big prize.

Turns out, the grand prize wasn't a huge stuffed animal. It was a turtle. The carnie hands me a tiny red eared slider in a plastic cup with a bit of water and a care sheet. I know nothing at all about turtles, how to take care of a turtle, or anything.

I felt responsible for the little guy though, so I'm trying my best. I bought an aquatic turtle starter kit from petco and set it up at my house. Everything seemed to be going fine for a while. Recently though, the turtle has been basking all day with his eyes closed, and one of the scales on his shell turned gray. I takes quite an effort to rouse him. He still eats when I put him in his feeding tub but beyond that he is not active, like at all. I think he is very sick and probably dying :(

Today I'm going to do a complete water change (I know about dechlorinating the water) and change the filter to see if that entices him back into the water.

Maybe its for the best if he doesn't make it. Reading the thread it seems they are quite gross and need a huge tank once they are bigger. I think his destiny was to die; that carnie is irresponsible to just be giving out turtles like that, probably mostly to kids. I'm sure almost all of them die.

Any advice from experienced owners appreciated.

Going off what my vet said when I got a turtle under somewhat similar circumstances, the "animals are rarely in the bets of health at carnivals and swap meets and can be expected to have some diseases that may or may not be treatable".
Find a vet in your area and take him in, at least in my case they had some medicine and syringes they gave me to try and treat the pneumonia mine came down with.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I've had people come in after winning loving iguanas at the carnival! Argh!!!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ugh, I thought my nieces winning fish at the carnival was bad!

I would take it in to a vet and see what they say. If it were me, I would also find out who the organizers of the carnival are and complain about it. In a lot pf places, there are regulations on who can buy and distribute baby turtles under a certain size to stop things like this from happening. Unfortunately, people find ways to bypass the laws.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
Hey herpers, I've got a friend in a bit of a pickle.

One of their smaller cousins (9 years old) was recently given the below snake as a pet and my friend and I are both very concerned. The parents were apparently told it was a ball python, but it doesn't look like one to me?

Am I wrong in thinking it looks more like a retic or one of the larger python species?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It's a boa constrictor. I'm not a boa person, so I don't know what kind it is but it looks anery to me? At any rate, they get a lot bigger than ball pythons.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

little_firebird posted:

Hey herpers, I've got a friend in a bit of a pickle.

One of their smaller cousins (9 years old) was recently given the below snake as a pet and my friend and I are both very concerned. The parents were apparently told it was a ball python, but it doesn't look like one to me?

Am I wrong in thinking it looks more like a retic or one of the larger python species?

I'd need to see the head a little better, like from the side, but that looks more like a Boa Constrictor to me. There's no way that's a ball python though. It doesn't have all the super prominents heat pits

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

FicusArt posted:

I'd need to see the head a little better, like from the side, but that looks more like a Boa Constrictor to me. There's no way that's a ball python though. It doesn't have all the super prominents heat pits

These are the other pictures I've been shown so far. It definitely does not have that "plump puppy look" of a ball, but thanks for narrowing it down a bit at least:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It is definitely a boa constrictor. The hard part will be id ing what type. It will grow to be like 5 to 12 feet long and quite heavy for their length.

evilcat
May 16, 2009
Herp experts, what accessories are going to be essential for a new ball python?
I adopted one from the local pet store and got his cage, a heat lamp and bulb, a hide, a corner water bowl, an undertank heater, and a screen cover.
I have the undertank heater set up under his hide and the bowl on the opposite side. I bought feeding forceps, a couple frozen mice, a thermometer and hygrometer, and a bag of branded aspen snake bedding. I scrubbed his cage out with water and a small amount of dawn, scrubbed his bowl out with the same and attacked the remaining debris on the glass with an SOS pad due to the caked on debris the previous owner was kind enough to send along. Rinsed everything multiple times, dried it all with a towel and got him moved in. Right now I have a folder taped up on one side as his hide is as wide as the cage and he fills maybe a third of it, and his water bowl is much too small to fit into. His undertank heater is also only acceptably sized for a 1-5 gallon tank, while he came with roughly a 20 gallon tank.

I know he needs a warm and cool side and a specific humidity. The pet store wants about $60 for an analog dial heat controller, they have no hides of the right size, no bowls of the right size and only had cheap Chinese dial thermometers. I have sitting in my Amazon cart a hygrotherm temperature and humidity controller, a smaller hide, a bigger water bowl, a correctly sized undertank heater and a digital thermometer/hygrometer.
My plan is to put a set for monitoring on the cool side of his tank and put the sensor for an actual controller on the hot side and let it switch the heating pad on and off and maybe run a humidifier if I find his humidity level hard to maintain by misting.

Is this plan reasonable, am I going overboard, am I not going far enough or can it all be done much cheaper? Amazon is going to easily half what the pet store wants for what little they have, but I am not sure if all of that is essential right away. Will his heat lamp also be needed with a properly sized undertank heater? The thing is absolutely nasty and I will have to replace it and get a proper stand, it melted the tank rim in the past at one point among other issues.

I had a longer term plan of adding in a piece or two of tank decor and putting up a shelf on his cool side to give him more room in this cage before upgrading his home.

What do I need to do right away and what can wait and what is an ideal amount of controls/heat/accessories to add and what is too much? Right now the lamp is getting switched every few hours by checking the temperature as the undertank is too tiny. For what information I have remaining that I do know, he was fed a large adult mouse on sunday and should soon be ready to move to very small rats, according to the store adopting him. Anything else I failed to cover or supply I can try and do or give to the best of my knowledge, sorry if I missed an important fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

a hygrotherm temperature and humidity controller, a smaller hide, a bigger water bowl, a correctly sized undertank heater and a digital thermometer/hygrometer.
My plan is to put a set for monitoring on the cool side of his tank and put the sensor for an actual controller on the hot side and let it switch the heating pad on and off and maybe run a humidifier if I find his humidity level hard to maintain by misting.
Good start. You probably don't need a humidifier. "Misting" is kind of a misnomer; when the air is dry or when the snake is in shed I do more like gentle rain twice a day.

First priority: You need a thermostat for the UTH. I don't know the Hygrotherm but don't run an under-tank heater without a controller, you can end up hurting or burning the snake. I know you want to get everything at once but BPs can live a long long time, so consider your expenses as an investment. A Viviarium Electronics or Herpstat thermosat is expensive but will give you more peace of mind in the long run. You don't need this immediately but eventually.

If the hide is too big, push it down into the aspen substrate so there is less open space inside it. Should be okay until smaller hide arrives.

Cheap dial thermometers are not accurate and a waste of money. These temp guns are really handy to have:
https://www.amazon.ca/BENETECH%C2%A...temperature+gun
Take the temperature of the glass under the Aspen. Take temperature of the outside of the hide. Take the temperature of the rats when you are thawing them out! Much better value than the stick-on dial types.
And when you get it, easily calibrate or check its accuracy with an ice cube and boiling water.

For misting and cleaning, you can pick up a pump sprayer for around $10 at a hardware store, usually in the gardening department. Or maybe through Amazon. Something like this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/spray-maker-manual-pressure-sprayer-0593837p.html

Track your snake! Use Excel or whatever you want and keep a record of when you feed it, when it sheds, when it pees and poops, when you clean the enclosure, handling sessions. And how much it weighs, with a small digital kitchen scale. They can cost around $15.