Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

:lol: Trump's not the only one who's going to be in withdrawal after this is all over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just did that thing where Antonio Banderas leans back in his chair and bites his fist in deep satisfaction.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Congress likely about to go HAM on the FBI for busting up white supremacist domestic terrorists again

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Have any of the conservative justices on the SC ever recused themselves from a case?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Supposedly Trump has forgiven the loans to his campaign. I guess we'll know in July.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr Interweb posted:

Have any of the conservative justices on the SC ever recused themselves from a case?

Yes, it happens a lot.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

Alito has because of some of his holdings.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Supposedly Trump has forgiven the loans to his campaign. I guess we'll know in July.

I think it is funny that a candidate for president can say a thing that should be easily provable and it is completely reasonable to wonder whether he just made that up.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Interweb posted:

Thomas should have because his wife works as a lobbyist for the healthcare industry.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

jeeves posted:

Does anyone else get the feeling Trump is going to drop out somehow to promote some sort of TrumpTV, and then the GOP will just throw Ryan onto the nomination at the convention?

TrumpTV doesn't work if he quits. It only works when he gets crushed/ratfucked and he can cry to his crazy fanatics that their great, huge, win was stolen away from them by the refs(media) being so biased.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/jasoncherkis/status/746045010873880577

Good journalism is still out there if you know where to look, but it's drowning in a sea of overpaid hacks, clickbait mills (goodbye Tribune, hello tronc!) and screaming matches between brain dead pundits on cable news.

Yeah this is incredible and everyone should read it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Good journalism is still out there if you know where to look, but it's drowning in a sea of overpaid hacks, clickbait mills (goodbye Tribune, hello tronc!) and screaming matches between brain dead pundits on cable news.

Echoing the bandwagon: this is a pro click. Took most of the day to read it inbetween actually doing my job, but definitely worth it.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Lote posted:

I believe you mean less than or equal to 20% of current candidates.

Jill Stein would like you to know she, Gary Johnson, and Bernie Sanders are all eligible candidates currently.

Why would a Green come in tepid support of voting for the Libertarian Party if you're not happy with the primary results? Last I checked the Libertarian Party stands against everything the Greens do, except anti-vaxxer nonsense I guess.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

Why would a Green come in tepid support of voting for the Libertarian Party if you're not happy with the primary results? Last I checked the Libertarian Party stands against everything the Greens do, except anti-vaxxer nonsense I guess.

Charitably, as a protest vote against the entrenched political establishment. Uncharitably, because they're whiny little bitches.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Winner is Jew posted:

Thomas should have because his wife works as a lobbyist for the healthcare industry.

Well once again Thomas shows he really is the worst member of the court. Guy is corrupt as hell.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Echoing the bandwagon: this is a pro click. Took most of the day to read it inbetween actually doing my job, but definitely worth it.

Yeah, I got stuck in a meeting I'm mandated to attend but have no role to play, so I just read it all day, totally worthwhile.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mlcalderone/status/746046216459419649?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

gently caress cnn tho

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Congressional Baseball Game off to a great start.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/746119471375450112

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn that prison stories probably one of the best articles I've read in months. I worked as a EMT and we did service for Pollock Penitentiary which is near that prison.

Prisons are basically just big torture boxes. The worst poo poo I ever saw as a EMT was responding to calls at a prison.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Holy poo poo, seriously read this. And throw some money to Mother Jones.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
http://fortune.com/2016/06/22/brexit-donald-trump/

This is not the first time I've seen Trump described as a populist. I am having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Is Trump's populism that businesses want to help The People, but the Government is standing in the way? I'm looking for a serious answer. My mind is open for the purposes of understanding why he's named a populist so often.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Potato Salad posted:

This is not the first time I've seen Trump described as a populist. I am having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Is Trump's populism that businesses want to help The People, but the Government is standing in the way? I'm looking for a serious answer. My mind is open for the purposes of understanding why he's named a populist so often.

It's a code word that the media uses because they think that printing "insanely racist" wouldn't be a neutral position.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Potato Salad posted:

Is Trump's populism that businesses want to help The People, but the Goverment is standing in the way?

Trump's brand of populism is "the elites who control Washington and the media are imposing political correctness to tar all of my [racist, sexist, etc] policies as racist or sexist, but TRUE AMERICANS won't be fooled by that."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Is Trump's populism that businesses want to help The People, but the Goverment is standing in the way?

:confused:

Trump is a classic populist. Trump's populism is that white people are being held down by dirty immigrants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

Holy poo poo, seriously read this. And throw some money to Mother Jones.

I got an ad to sign up for their magazine so I did just that.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
It took all day but I finally was able to reach the end of the Mother Jones article, and man, what a great piece of writing.

I've paid attention to private prisons for a while, but it's all mostly higher level stuff like funding, mandatory capacity requirements, prison labor to large corps, etc. This is the first I've read about any of the day to day life for the inmates.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I taught a class in a prison and yeah, it's a loving crazy place. I don't recommend staying in one

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is incredible, but it's also unbelievably depressing. The part about the inmate losing his fingers and legs because of loving gangrene while NOBODY did anything about it made me get up and get out of the house for a while.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Just about to leave the office for the day, and HR sends this out to everyone. Might be news tomorrow but I very much hope it isn't.

quote:

South Los Angeles Sheriff's Station received information that several people may be walking with unloaded handguns and rifles in plain view, through South Bay Cities on Friday, June 24, 2016, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. The caller stated that his group is doing this in support of the 2nd Amendment "Right to Bear Arms."

The California Penal Code prohibits openly carrying firearms in the State of California. If you should see anyone carrying a firearm, we ask that you dial 911 to report the incident. Please do not approach, make contact with , or confront anyone you see carrying a firearm. We also ask that you please stay back and do not interfere, if you should see law enforcement officials handling a situation of this nature. This will ensure safety of all.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Deteriorata posted:

:confused:

Trump is a classic populist. Trump's populism is that white people are being held down by dirty immigrants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism

:staredog: Holy poo poo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Holy poo poo Bernie is boring. I'm out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Boon posted:

It's not like we have much of an alternative system. If what you say is possible, and I don't believe that FBI does this, but... maybe. Even granted that, that were the case, the hypothetical person in question would be dangerous to even be left to come to the conclusion on their own.

There's been one or two that could not have even on their best day executed their drunken rants on blowing up a whatever. Like ones where the FBI had to give him the money and a shopping list. The judge and/or jury is generally good about sussing that out, but the accused has to get put thru the ringer first.
On the other hand, there's dozens that seem questionable as to how much influence the FBI had, but with hopefully the courts will sort it out.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

KiteAuraan posted:

It's a sarcastic comment because Jill Stein got all huffy that Hillary called herself the first female candidate for president. The tweet says Ledanowski can't disparage Trump so he can only talk badly about 1 candidate, and the tweet dismisses all other parties.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

Just about to leave the office for the day, and HR sends this out to everyone. Might be news tomorrow but I very much hope it isn't.

As an internet tough guy I would also say call 9-1-1 and shout tiny dick repeatedly.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Somebody should just follow them with a tuba playing that fat doofus walk bit over and over like that one guy did with the skinhead march, then everybody laughed at them

edit - sorry, it was the KKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crowsbeak posted:

Well once again Thomas shows he really is the worst member of the court. Guy is corrupt as hell.

To be fair, he's the only member of the court I might trust to rule based on principles even with a clear conflict of interest.

He is, for instance, vocally and emphatically supportive of Virginia's right to make his marriage illegal. :v:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Epic High Five posted:

Somebody should just follow them with a tuba playing that fat doofus walk bit over and over like that one guy did with the skinhead march, then everybody laughed at them

edit - sorry, it was the KKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k

Still one of my favorite ideas ever, dude deserves a medal.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Lote posted:

It's a sarcastic comment because Jill Stein got all huffy that Hillary called herself the first female candidate for president. The tweet says Ledanowski can't disparage Trump so he can only talk badly about 1 candidate, and the tweet dismisses all other parties.

On some level I appreciate the complaint, but come on, every one of those parties were obscure no-hoper third parties. It's like describing somebody as Nobel-nominated.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lote posted:

Wasn't it female candidate for a major party? I just have a feeling Stein wasn't getting upset on behalf of Shirley Chisholm and Victoria Woodhull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

there wolf posted:

Wasn't it female candidate for a major party? I just have a feeling Stein wasn't getting upset on behalf of Shirley Chisholm and Victoria Woodhull.

Yeah, Stein wasn't cranked about the woman part, it was the Greens being dissed as a minor party. Which they are, making her tantrum all the funnier.

• Locked thread