Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Unrelated to the latest chapter and MOMS!

but I have been reminded today of what is possibly my favorite pair of panels in the entirety of the history of comics:

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

but I have been reminded today of what is possibly my favorite pair of panels in the entirety of the history of comics:

Thank you. Thank you for posting this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

You are doing the lord's work.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i bet deku really could do a killer all-might impression. he probably practiced sounding like him all the time growing up. he could be a stand up comedian all-might impersonator

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Law Cheetah posted:

i bet deku really could do a killer all-might impression. he probably practiced sounding like him all the time growing up. he could be a stand up comedian all-might impersonator

I bet he went as All Might for Halloween every year.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

All Might starts throwing a temper tantrum about how much he has invested in Deku and leaps over the table and starts choking his mom.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Momdoriya could take him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

All Might starts throwing a temper tantrum about how much he has invested in Deku and leaps over the table and starts choking his mom.

Please don't disrespect All Might in this way.

She'd kick his rear end though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'll pay top dollar for a DEEP DOPE tank

Jintor
May 19, 2014

yo jirou's mum has the earjacks too

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'd like to point out this is why Horikoshi-sensei is an amazing writer. There is where he chose to put the pivotal moment upon. I seriously think is some amazing writing.... on the same level as Urasawa Naoki.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Space-Bird posted:

I'd like to point out this is why Horikoshi-sensei is an amazing writer. There is where he chose to put the pivotal moment upon. I seriously think is some amazing writing.... on the same level as Urasawa Naoki.

Naoki Urasawa is definitely good, but after you've read a bunch of his stuff you start to see some patterns. In a way I would actually put MHA above most Urasawa stuff, because it feels less "gimmicky" for some reason I can't quite articulate.

(Some Urasawa stuff, like Pluto, manages to break the mold, but I notice that Monster and 20th Century Boys are written in a very similar way with a bunch of kind of gimmicky (yet still catchy/interesting) cliffhangers.)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad we finally have a shonen protagonist whoose parents aren't (well, both) dead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

I'm just glad we finally have a shonen protagonist whoose parents aren't (well, both) dead.

Is Jojo not a shonen?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

jojo is weird and unique enough to not count as anything (other than awesome) really

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Is Jojo not a shonen?

I think it got moved to a seinen magazine with part 7.

Edit:

Mordaedil posted:

I can name many shonens where the protagonist's have at least 1 living parent. A lot less if I had to specify the mother being alive, but still.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
The parental situations of Jojo Protagonists is unique in its own way that is distinct from the way in which Hero Academia is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JoJo is 100% seinen by this point, it's pretty fair to say though that by Part 6, it was quite actively pulling away from being shonen.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordaedil posted:

The protagonist of One Piece (the biggest shonen manga since Dragonball, and in serialization since 1997) has a living father, and the status of his mother is unconfirmed (and thus she could be alive as well).

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

but one piece is also a good shonen battle manga and thus also far outside of the norm there

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
At this point we should just start taking bets on what really happened to Izuku's dad.

Was he killed in an accident?
Was he killed by a villain?
Did he abandon his family because he couldn't handle having a quirkless son?
Is he just conveniently away on a business trip forever?

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Him and Dekus mom probably just went through an amicable divorce, and Dekus mom retained custody.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just suddenly remembered even Bleach has a living parent, so I shot my own argument down.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NecroMonster posted:

good shonen battle manga
Three out of four ain't bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Poison Mushroom posted:

Three out of four ain't bad.
I hope you're not dissin' on One Piece, friend!

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

Him and Dekus mom probably just went through an amicable divorce, and Dekus mom retained custody.

I'd actually like that, if just because it's a pretty normal explanation instead of some convoluted theory where Deku's dad is ACTUALLY Endeavour/a villain/etc. And also because hey, divorce is a thing that happens irl and you barely ever see it in kids manga.

Honestly, I'm more interested in everyone else's family situation. Does Tokoyami have a birdy family? What the heck are Shouji's parents like??

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Alternately it would be really funny if Deku's dad was some chump weak villain he had to deal with and then they reconciled

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Honestly, I'm more interested in everyone else's family situation. Does Tokoyami have a birdy family? What the heck are Shouji's parents like??

I'm most interested in meeting Hakagure's family. Are they also invisible like her?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I found a video of deku's dad if anyone is interested
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtST8Z1yVxU

Proof:

Condiv fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 24, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thin Dekumom is less good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fat Dekumom or bust

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
All Dekumoms are great.

EDIT: Thin Dekumom played "All Might rescues helpless civilian" with young Deku. Therefore, Thin Dekumom is great too.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Mordaedil posted:

I just suddenly remembered even Bleach has a living parent, so I shot my own argument down.

Actuality Isshin is a ghost so...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

All Dekumoms are great.

EDIT: Thin Dekumom played "All Might rescues helpless civilian" with young Deku. Therefore, Thin Dekumom is great too.

Less good does not mean bad. It means Big Dekumom is even better.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I just like all of the little touches regarding his childhood- him in the All Might onesy "saving" his mom gives me diabetes and it's basically perfect and something 99% of other shounen writers wouldn't put in.

This conversation wouldn't be happening if drat near any other shounen writer was handling it because a typical shounen mom would be psychotically supportive or be dead.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rohan Kishibe posted:

A ghost, but he gets to be a father to his daughters.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Yeah but he's a living ghost. And he was probably born a ghost?

Nothing about the Bleach afterlife makes any sense.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Begemot posted:

Yeah but he's a living ghost. And he was probably born a ghost?

Nothing about the Bleach afterlife makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Man, take away the title and that poster takes on a much more sinister look.