Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

i'm secretly kind of glad mech series don't, in general, go over how brutal they would be on pilots in melee combat.

I remember the time Renton stomped some dudes in Eureka 7 being super gross

Are you forgetting Gundam IBO and Mikazuki "Crush the Cockpits" Augus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you forgetting Gundam IBO and Mikazuki "Crush the Cockpits" Augus?

Mikazuki murdered a whole ton of dudes but they basically never went into gory detail about it, with one or two specific exceptions. It was mostly Mikazuki landing a hit and then a brutal crunch and you knew that guy was extremely dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Mikazuki murdered a whole ton of dudes but they basically never went into gory detail about it, with one or two specific exceptions. It was mostly Mikazuki landing a hit and then a brutal crunch and you knew that guy was extremely dead.

And, given how often Tekkadan went in for salvage, you know somebody had to hose out the cockpits.

You got just enough shots of how nasty it could be that you knew how bad it was without dwelling on it too much. It was a nice balance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Norris butchered a guntank crew with his gouf sword. Big oil spurt implied blood

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Patter Song posted:

Hello Gundam thread!

It is time for me to start a new series.

Do I:

A. Start watching Unicorn from the start (I tried years ago when it was coming out and I just forgot to keep up with it after the fourth of the episodes...danger of releasing them six months apart).

B. Watch Victory Gundam, the last of the classic era Gundam series I've never watched.

C. Watch something more modern that I've never watched...considering starting 00.

I suggest 00 because it is pretty different from other Gundams. If you like the first season, expect to be disappointed by the second.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And watch the dub because one of the main characters is voiced by Double D from Ed Edd n Eddy and it's loving surreal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Patter Song posted:

Hello Gundam thread!

Do I:

A. Start watching Unicorn from the start (I tried years ago when it was coming out and I just forgot to keep up with it after the fourth of the episodes...danger of releasing them six months apart).

B. Watch Victory Gundam, the last of the classic era Gundam series I've never watched.

C. Watch something more modern that I've never watched...considering starting 00.

The box! The box!

(I vote B)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I think I'll give Unicorn another shot...if it doesn't click with me I'll try Victory.

I hear in Unicorn I'm going to get to see some full frontal action, so I'm looking forward to that.

EDIT:

It's hilarious to me that there's a Gundam character with a name I have to turn Safesearch on if I want to find pictures of him.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 23, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Norris butchered a guntank crew with his gouf sword. Big oil spurt implied blood

I think 00 also had some good old blade-through-cockpit shots, didn't it? The Exia's big honking metal sword, not a beam saber.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh good, it is just a special.

The visible names say Bearguy P and Lightning BWS Mk-III. The 00Q custom's name is cut off, but it's Qan[t] Something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

The visible names say Bearguy P and Lightning BWS Mk-III. The 00Q custom's name is cut off, but it's Qan[t] Something.

A special could still go either way if it's still following the BF-Try protagonists. We could get a nice varied range of short fights in a tournament... or a whole bunch of Sekai with everyone else barely getting a look-in for 45-90 minutes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

I don't suppose that has any information on the regular BF (non-Try) OVA? :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
STAND UP TO THE VICTORY (voted B for you)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't think a short OVA would be able to fix the rut Build Fighters is in, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
BF is fine and good and I just want more.

No amount of OVAs would be enough to fix Try. :(

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Try is salvageable but an OVA would probably just focus on a forgettable opponent hyped up to be a threat and hey look at all this merch!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Please fund my Kickstarter to go to Japan and force the Try writers to sit down and watch some good sports animes, tia

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
"Look at all this merch" would be okay if the MS design in Try were actually any good, but it's not, especially compared to BF's.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ultimately even if the designs are the coolest thing ever, the core problem for me is that especially in a short OVA I feel like once again they wouldn't even bother trying to get me invested in the outcomes of the matches and that's a hell of a dead weight to tie around a sports show.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I liked the Powered GM Cardigan. Shame it was immediately benched.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The GIG posted:

BF-Try had a lot of poo poo against it, but it at least tried to go "girls play Gunpla Battles too :v:" without resorting to a string of pink/girly suits.

Srice posted:

Try is salvageable but an OVA would probably just focus on a forgettable opponent hyped up to be a threat and hey look at all this merch!

And their only motivation will be ":byodood: I MUST BATTLE SEKAI! ". At the very least, if that QanT is anything to go by, they've learned to stick to fancy recognizable custom jobs instead of Original Gundam; Do Not Steal.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean, just give us a few decent fights like the one in Episode 9, the Tryon 3 fight, or the Fumina/Yuuma half of the final battle.

I'll be fine with that, although I'd like them to be goofballs more really.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

I mean, just give us a few decent fights like the one in Episode 9, the Tryon 3 fight, or the Fumina/Yuuma half of the final battle.

I'll be fine with that, although I'd like them to be goofballs more really.

Drop it to a 2v2 (or even better; 1v1) format to fix the badly-overtaxed animation and show Sekai the door.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The GIG posted:

Regardless of how much of a feat of engineering the Winning/Star Winning Gundam were, the point where Fumina ditches the Cardigan is pretty much the point where Try starts going downhill. :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

BF-Try had a lot of poo poo against it, but it at least tried to go "girls play Gunpla Battles too :v:" without resorting to a string of pink/girly suits.

Did you forget what Fumina was wearing for half the series?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Did you forget what Fumina was wearing for half the series?

Oh, yeah :cripes:. To be fair, it does look like someone slapped them round the head mid-way through the series for that though with the sudden standard outfit change to actual clothes, second ED notwithstanding.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't believe it took them this long to refer to Joseph by name.

Edit: Poe looks like she's feeling pretty good about herself right now. That'll probably be fixed soon.

E2: This episode had a weird intro and a shortened OP, what up? Oh, it's a recap episode, huh?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 23, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do the later uc shows dive into how messed up it is that literal child soldiers are becoming increasingly common? In the oyw it was a cruel necessity but I don't see too much shock about kamille flying around a war zone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do the later uc shows dive into how messed up it is that literal child soldiers are becoming increasingly common? In the oyw it was a cruel necessity but I don't see too much shock about kamille flying around a war zone.

Victory absolutely does, and so does ZZ in its own odd way.

There's also the Quess subplot in CCA, although that didn't land quite as well for a bunch of viewers.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Patter Song posted:

Hello Gundam thread!

Do I:

Unicorn is really good, though the ending tends to divide people.

Victory is really, really bad. It has some good points but it's mostly just garbage.

Season 1 of 00 is really solid, season 2 is extremely mediocre and the more you liked the first season the more you'll probably dislike the second.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gonna second Chickenfrogman's opinion on Victory. I think it's flatout the worst main Gundam series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Victory absolutely does, and so does ZZ in its own odd way.

There's also the Quess subplot in CCA, although that didn't land quite as well for a bunch of viewers.

It always bums me out that Quess gets a bad rep since to me she's the most blatant & effective example of that in Gundam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

It always bums me out that Quess gets a bad rep since to me she's the most blatant & effective example of that in Gundam.

I think a good chunk of it is that she just isn't an especially sympathetic character. Tragedy tends to land harder when bad things happen to good (or at least likeable) people. Her subplot is hella hosed up, but there isn't really as much of a sense of loss to it as there might be. Uso, meanwhile, is a nice, sweet kid who gets put through one of Sigmund Freud's more profoundly hosed-up opium nightmares, even if he does make it out surprisingly OK in the end.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Chickenfrogman posted:

Victory is really, really bad. It has some good points but it's mostly just garbage.

Raxivace posted:

Gonna second Chickenfrogman's opinion on Victory. I think it's flatout the worst main Gundam series.

Victory is pretty good, at least as good a 00 and better than Unicorn. Why do you hate it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Victory is pretty good, at least as good a 00 and better than Unicorn. Why do you hate it?

Cheap aesthetics (even if the fight choreography is good) and a story that spends most of its time as bland and bloated with steadily more frequent diversions into frothing batshit insanity? Unicorn was bland, but it was bland and pretty, and didn't slowly dissolve into a Dave Sim-esque rant on its writer's Very Important Views On Gender.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It doesn't sound like a lot of Gundam is very good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

It doesn't sound like a lot of Gundam is very good.

A lot of Gundam, I'd say, has good elements but almost every series has flaws. What tends to make a Gundam 'work' is if those flaws outshine the weaknesses which is why there is such a large divide on what is and isn't a good Gundam show.

I tend to prefer Tomino Gundam which I find the most conceptually interest but also acknowledge even the most accessible of it is Tomino As gently caress and I'm not as big on Turn-A as a lot of people here because I really could not get into the protagonist at all. I recognize it has a lot of strengths and enjoy the side characters but Loran is kept from the bottom of my Gundam Protagonist Tier List only by the existence of the absolute shitfests like Kio or Kira.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like Loran but he's pretty boring and doesn't have much in the way of character traits other than "lets some people walk over him like a doormat"

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Loran wears a dress pretty good though. He has that over Heero and Mika.

"Hey Kamille put this dress on!"

I really need to finish Zeta...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

Darth Walrus posted:

Cheap aesthetics (even if the fight choreography is good) and a story that spends most of its time as bland and bloated with steadily more frequent diversions into frothing batshit insanity? Unicorn was bland, but it was bland and pretty, and didn't slowly dissolve into a Dave Sim-esque rant on its writer's Very Important Views On Gender.

This is pretty much why I hate Victory. I'm not a huge fan of Tominoisms and while some of his series are in my favorites, with Zeta Gundam in particular being my absolute favorite, it tends to be in spite of his insanity rather then because of it. Victory takes it to the ugliest extreme and is just an unlikeable show that I can't stand.

Unicorn is bland but it's straightforward, knows what it is and what it wants to be, and has some of the absolute top tier animation, sound design, and music in the franchise.