Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Talkc posted:

( also i dont view comments made 2 years ago by people as sacred oaths, especially when that persons ability to actually implement said stated policy was also overseen by a parent company but i also dont get 'weird' about games and throw tantrums on the internet. )

Are you me holy poo poo

Also is anyone else who doesn't own the biker heist having issues on music not playing when I join a public lobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

BillmasterCozb posted:

sociopath is objectively better imo but yeah infiltrator is good

People like to make comparisons between the two decks because they both have health on melee but they're rather different. Infiltrator gets you a load of DR and really doesn't promote anything more than the occasional weak melee, the health on melee hit is large but has a 20-second cooldown. Sociopath really encourages you to get close and go nuts with the smaller health reward and 2-second cooldown.

If you play infiltrator like you should be playing sociopath you're gonna have a bad time.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 23, 2016

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

John Murdoch posted:

To be fair, the context in which they were introduced, and several choices regarding their implementation were and are still pretty bad, even if they were never actually the Pay2Win game ruining evil that Reddit/SPUF insisted they were.

The timing was the worst part of it all, combining it with a massive weapon rebalance that made little sense and, at the time, invalidated a significant chunk of DLC weapons. Most of the gaps have been closed with the new skill system and the shotgun buffs.

My other gripe - where it clogs the card drops - appears to be fixed because I was just grinding Jewelry Store for a drop and didn't get one, then still had a Biker safe show up in my Steam inventory.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

ClonedPickle posted:

The OP is actually kept pretty well up to date but after the skill rebalance you can pretty much just skill into whatever you want. There are very few trap skills (Dire Need is still a trap skill :colbert:) and the latest patch should have fixed most of the broken skills. If you're worried about being maximally effective, spec into a defensive tree (Tank for ICTV or Artful Dodger for dodging, or a mix of both for light vest) that melds well with whatever perk deck you want, specialize in a weapon tree (pistols, shotguns, single-shot rifles, or automatic weapons - the latter two have a few overlapping skills), upgrade a deployable of your choice, and then grab whatever else you want. Most of the quality of life skills that were mandatory to get before are now just freebies that you have at level 0.

It's really easy to try stuff out and re-spec if you don't like it, now, so just experiment a whole bunch. Outside of Death Wish you won't really need to worry about having a proper build.
Great to hear, thanks. I'm just loving around on normal/hard solo mode for now (stuck on phone internet) and it feels a bit like 80% of the challenge is working around the AI. Kinda intense in its own awkward way, more so since i'm playing half of the new heists blind. :haw:

Boy, is it just me or is that de_rats Lab map a real piece of junk?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Great to hear, thanks. I'm just loving around on normal/hard solo mode for now (stuck on phone internet) and it feels a bit like 80% of the challenge is working around the AI. Kinda intense in its own awkward way, more so since i'm playing half of the new heists blind. :haw:

Lab Rats is a gimmick Halloween map. It really sucks trying to get a good pay day on that map.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's absolutely nuts and unforgiving on deathwish but it's actually one of my favorites. Run it with some goons, solo is hell.

Pro tip: if you land on one of the three folded cushions you won't take any fall damage.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

To be fair, the context in which they were introduced, and several choices regarding their implementation were and are still pretty bad, even if they were never actually the Pay2Win game ruining evil that Reddit/SPUF insisted they were.

I think so much of it had to do with the combination of the challenge and it being day one. The final challenge of The Road To Crimefest was ridiculously grindy and I think we almost missed the deadline by like a few hours. Then Crimefest starts, and we find out that what we earned for that challenge was the opportunity to pay $2.50 for a pockmarked, genuinely ugly-looking skin for a gun you may not use. It was this self-congratulatory start to the event that kind of ended up poisoning the whole stupid thing. If we had gotten some more free content before that, or if Overkill had been like "YOU PLAYED THE AFTERSHOCK HEIST, NOW YOU GET TO SEE WHAT'S INSIDE," there still would have been making GBS threads but not as badly.

Granted, though, they probably wanted to push that out at the highest hype point to look good for their investors for various reasons. It could have been handled a lot better, P.R.-wise, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Bear in mind the whole game is designed from the ground up for co-op. Play with others as soon as you can.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Plan Z posted:

I think so much of it had to do with the combination of the challenge and it being day one. The final challenge of The Road To Crimefest was ridiculously grindy and I think we almost missed the deadline by like a few hours. Then Crimefest starts, and we find out that what we earned for that challenge was the opportunity to pay $2.50 for a pockmarked, genuinely ugly-looking skin for a gun you may not use. It was this self-congratulatory start to the event that kind of ended up poisoning the whole stupid thing. If we had gotten some more free content before that, or if Overkill had been like "YOU PLAYED THE AFTERSHOCK HEIST, NOW YOU GET TO SEE WHAT'S INSIDE," there still would have been making GBS threads but not as badly.

Granted, though, they probably wanted to push that out at the highest hype point to look good for their investors for various reasons. It could have been handled a lot better, P.R.-wise, though.

Yeah. I love Overkill and Payday dearly, but goddamn was that launch a loving trainwreck. It's not really shocking that a lot of people felt alienated.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Holy poo poo you guys I just remembered Goldfarb.

Remember Goldfarb?

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013

RandallODim posted:

Remember Goldfarb?

I remember when Payday was just like Dark Souls!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RandallODim posted:

Remember Goldfarb?

I still get emails from him. His new company isn't talking about their first game yet, but they do sell merchandise, including a t-shirt with Goldfarb's cat on it.

Let's see what goldfarb is up to:

https://twitter.com/locust9/status/746005004398510080

Hard at work.

:eng101:Fun Goldfarb Fact:

He voices the guy on the phone in Framing Frame day 2.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 24, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
really, because I have a long-standing opinion of disliking that smug fucker on the phone. Is that really Goldfarb? :laugh:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

People like to make comparisons between the two decks because they both have health on melee but they're rather different. Infiltrator gets you a load of DR and really doesn't promote anything more than the occasional weak melee, the health on melee hit is large but has a 20-second cooldown. Sociopath really encourages you to get close and go nuts with the smaller health reward and 2-second cooldown.

If you play infiltrator like you should be playing sociopath you're gonna have a bad time.

I think this is p.accurate. I like to play Infiltrator with shotguns, getting close and then taking cover, striking out occasionally with melee to get that hunk of health back. It's much more measured and deliberate I think than Sociopath, which might be better or worse depending on your play style.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Psion posted:

really, because I have a long-standing opinion of disliking that smug fucker on the phone. Is that really Goldfarb? :laugh:

Yes.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Plan Z posted:

Most of that is bridge under the water now, but there's still one small aftershock:

You can still get skins for guns from a DLC you don't own, making them useless unless you fork over more money. I know this isn't a concern for anyone in the thread, but it's still kinda dumb nevertheless.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

My whole world has been changed by this discovery.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's been a while since I played this game. Went on a drought when friends couldn't play regularly, then Overkill seemed to have lost its mind with the pay-2-unlock safes. But I heard they found their mind again, and they finally FINALLY revamped the skill tree. So I thought I'd re-download this again.

And oh my god these skill trees are actually amazing! :swoon:
Has the Paygoon community jumped onto the Discord bandwagon or are we still mostly using the steam group?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

Pro tip: if you land on one of the three folded cushions you won't take any fall damage.

Sometimes. The one closest to the meth still kills me like 25% of the time when landed on for no visible reason.

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's absolutely nuts and unforgiving on deathwish but it's actually one of my favorites. Run it with some goons, solo is hell.

While not one of my favorites I think this map has a worse reputation than deserved. If it came with a bit more instructions & maybe even a pre-planning map this could easily be way more fun for beginner & intermediate players...

Instead we get a great big ":wtf: is this :wtf: do I do??" & without any proper briefing you're DOA.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Inevitable steam sale question, is this game worth $5 bucks? Moreover, is the GOTY pack worth $12.50?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Inevitable steam sale question, is this game worth $5 bucks? Moreover, is the GOTY pack worth $12.50?

Easily. We're all biased in here, but if you like co-op shooters and want to slaughter legions of cops, well...

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes and go with GOTY pack. Somebody in this thread (maybe OP) has a list of best to worst DLCs if you want to add on after that

E: yes, in the OP

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

What primary shotguns do people recommend? I've got all of them except the most recent one from the Biker DLC.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Got my first biker safe and my first biker drop!

loving Sweet

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gilg posted:

What primary shotguns do people recommend? I've got all of them except the most recent one from the Biker DLC.

I reccomend the Raven from the Shotgun Pack, the Stakeout automatic shotgun from the BBQ pack, and a cut-down mosconi. Keep in mind that there's no reason not to take 000 buckshot ammunition

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Gilg posted:

I usually do a Mosconi with the short barrel and long stock and some flechette ammo.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

BillmasterCozb posted:

I reccomend the Raven from the Shotgun Pack, the Stakeout automatic shotgun from the BBQ pack, and a cut-down mosconi. Keep in mind that there's no reason not to take 000 buckshot ammunition

Reasons not to take 000:

Explosions are fun.

Sniping is fun

setting fools on fire is fun

Reasons to take 000:

AP slug sucks

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Waroduce posted:

did you inv me

Did you get it from marv? Show me your steam ID and I'll send you one if I didn't.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yes, and yes. You can shout people back to life, steal REALLY crazy stuff, fight Tom Clancy reject cops, cause cops to freak out at you using a mg42(modded to look like a star wars gun) to replace air with bullets, launch rpg's at bomb-suited shotgun stompy guys, be Ron Perlman, wear anime masks with golden war paint, and SET EVERYTHING ON FIRE.

BillmasterCozb posted:

This. The raven is good for a silenced, low-detection Crit build, mosconi for just the low-detection. Use the U/O Josie with the ammo stock if you don't care about detection

Is there a reason I can't use turrets? I can plop them down in the safehouse if I have ammo, but I spent a Four Stores just trying to put down one turret, to no avail.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I go adventuring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W63dHf97GFs

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Shadowed Bacon posted:

Yes, and yes. You can shout people back to life, steal REALLY crazy stuff, fight Tom Clancy reject cops, cause cops to freak out at you using a mg42(modded to look like a star wars gun) to replace air with bullets, launch rpg's at bomb-suited shotgun stompy guys, be Ron Perlman, wear anime masks with golden war paint, and SET EVERYTHING ON FIRE.

This. The raven is good for a silenced, low-detection Crit build, mosconi for just the low-detection. Use the U/O Josie with the ammo stock if you don't care about detection

Is there a reason I can't use turrets? I can plop them down in the safehouse if I have ammo, but I spent a Four Stores just trying to put down one turret, to no avail.

Could be a couple of reasons. Could be a bug, obviously. Could be that you didn't have enough ammo. Could be that you were still in casing mode or something in Four Stores, pretty sure you can't drop a turret until the map goes loud.

Re:Primary shotguns, Joceline is my go-to shotgun. It does a fuckoff amount of damage and is surprisingly accurate. That being said, be careful with it, because in PD2 it's possible for a shotgun to be too accurate.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Talkc posted:

Got my first biker safe and my first biker drop!

loving Sweet

I love that skin so much, it's ugly as all hell but the name and design is a reference to a big part of Swedish culture. In a way where 15 year old boys are trying way too hard to be cool by making mopeds go way too fast and spray-painting them. Everyone finds them extremely obnoxious because they drive really poorly, they're extremely loud, and the people are very annoying but it's been a thing for as long as me (or my parents for that matter) can remember.

Yes, I was one of them during the spring/summer when I was 15.

Shadowed Bacon posted:

mosconi for just the low-detection. Use the U/O Josie with the ammo stock if you don't care about detection

(The cut down Mosconi has way more spread than a Jocelyn and reloads oh so slightly faster, the ammo bonus from the pouch is not really worth that much since you'll be getting one or two ammo boxes per trigger pull.)

watho fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 24, 2016

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Gilg posted:

Reiterating what others have said.
Mosconi/Joceline - both are amazing cop-dropper. Mosconi is better for concealed builds, Joceline has a deeper ammo pool for when you don't care.
Raven's solid all-around.
Steakout is good and I find it super-hilarious with a silenced shotguns build.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Shadowed Bacon posted:

I don't know the exact restrictions on turrets, but basically, you can only place a turret if you have a) more than a mag's worth of ammo, and b) enough to fill the turret. Consequently, it's likely that you just didn't have enough ammo to deploy the turret. Try switching weapons or picking up some ammo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Jocelyn's base ammo pool was nerfed a while back as well so the difference is only 4 shots now. 6 with fully loaded.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Should I ask for an invite to the Steam group here or in group chat?

e: Also, I just bought this game and failed miserably at my first heist but I'll try to get better.

e2: My Steam name is Grapeaid

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 24, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

chairface posted:

There's a skill that increases the concealment of vests, and ones that makes silencers improve rather than reduce concealment on guns. Then you slap on the equivalent melee weapon concealment boost skill and you wind up able to wear HBV or below still at 3 detection. It's not exactly USEFUL to have armor in stealth but what the hell.
Cool, thank you for explaining.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, I came back to my infamy whatever high level dude and even with level appropriate rooms turned off, practically every game is Overkill and Deathwish.

Game please, I'm not anywhere near this decent anymore. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Talkc posted:

Reasons not to take 000:

Explosions are fun.

Sniping is fun

setting fools on fire is fun

Reasons to take 000: