Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Myrmidongs posted:

How much does a buffalo cost?

I need to buy one to celebrate getting out of retail computer repair, and getting hired on in my wife's school district as an IT guy.

However much a plane ticket to Yellowstone and a rifle costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pr0digal posted:

However much a plane ticket to Yellowstonelarches old tv station and a riflepalletjack costs.

fixed for u

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Myrmidongs posted:

How much does a buffalo cost?

I need to buy one to celebrate getting out of retail computer repair, and getting hired on in my wife's school district as an IT guy.

In the off chance this is a serious post

Not much less than a superior Synology. You can get one sans drives for a few hundred drives will likely cost about as much as the unit, if your drives cost less you likely do not actually need a RAID.

For all the poo poo we give buffalo, the terrastation I inherited isn't bad, it's just lacking features. Their consumer grade stuff is terrifying.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Erwin posted:

Buy Buffalo Trace instead.

Most of us in this thread probably need Knob Creek Single Barrel

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a handle of Evan Williams 1783 small batch. Its serving me well. It's actually really good at the $17/750 price point. I'd say about as good as most $25 bottles I've had. Maybe the name scares people off.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have a handle of Evan Williams 1783 small batch. Its serving me well. It's actually really good at the $17/750 price point. I'd say about as good as most $25 bottles I've had. Maybe the name scares people off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sELqobCIXU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Well, surely the 1783 vintage is past its prime! I am a wine conn..comm...guy. A wine knowledge guy. I know about these things.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I don't really like bourbon/whiskey. I must be a bad IT person

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pr0digal posted:

vodka (many different brands), captain, or allagash white. I'm a bad IT guy too I guess.

v-- yeah I drink like 1-4 times a month, generally on the lower end, despite the fact that I feel like my job makes me want to drink, I generally just smoke a couple hits and chillthefuckoutyo

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gin is also acceptable, particularly in the summer months.

(I actually don't drink that much anymore either)

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I don't like hard alcohol at all. I do love beer though. Thankfully, there's a lot of local breweries here in the Bay Area.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

TWBalls posted:

I don't like hard alcohol at all. I do love beer though.

This used to be me before I completely lost the ability to enjoy anything. Now it's just closet brewed moonshine because I just can't drink myself to death fast enough.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Judging by TCC, you should either try heroin or research chemicals.

(Suicide isn't actually a good idea, please seek help if you have suicidal ideations, etc)

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I am the only IT person I know who has never had alcohol in his life. Even the mormon IT guy I worked with drank.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Judging by TCC, you should either try heroin or research chemicals.

(Suicide isn't actually a good idea, please seek help if you have suicidal ideations, etc)

Down a few dozen mg of phenazepam, come too a week later to find that you've ordered a few thousand dollars worth of baby grand pianos Buffalo equipment.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Evan Williams is probably the best you can get for the price. If you took the same stuff, rebottled it and sold it as a $40 premium brand, it'd shine among the other stuff on the top shelf at a grocery store.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

pr0digal posted:

To each his/her own.

I loving love me some scotch, but that's a personal preference. I'll drink nearly anything. Beer gives me the worst hangovers, though, so I tend to keep it to a minimum.

Also - new job time. Contract position, but a solid chance at it turning "real" at the end. 25% pay raise over what I'm making now, and a chance to branch into real IT, not just phone support. Super stoked.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Evan Williams is probably the best you can get for the price. If you took the same stuff, rebottled it and sold it as a $40 premium brand, it'd shine among the other stuff on the top shelf at a grocery store.

The black bottle stuff is my cheap whiskey of choice, although I have heard Benchmark is good. There was some other one I heard recommended at that price point, too, but I forget what it was called.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

larchesdanrew posted:

This used to be me before I completely lost the ability to enjoy anything. Now it's just closet brewed moonshine because I just can't drink myself to death fast enough.

I had to make sure I wasn't in Work Crew reading this post.

A ticket came in: User not receiving a cert to connect to the VPN after enrolling in it. Turns out his TPM was disabled. After enabling it he should get the cert after running a gpupdate and/or waiting a day or so, but should be able to use phone authentication in the meantime except... oops, he stupidly changed the phone registration number to his skype number instead of his cellphone (which in and of itself is a terrible idea) and it's currently waiting for his manager to approve it. I'm not gonna give 2FA exception for stupidity so hopefully his manager is around.

:hurr:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Also just get Maker's Mark it's everywhere and a 750 is like 30 bucks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've been meaning to try Maker's. After Beam and Jack, I've got a possibly unfair aversion to big name whiskies. $30 has some stiff competition, though. Although I guess a lot of stuff has gone up in price over the past few years, so Woodford probably isn't $30 anymore.

RIP $13 bottles of WL Weller.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Re: A ticket came in: PYF whiskey

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Makers Mark is good as bourbon goes. I prefer scotch personally. The Macallan is the boring choice, but it's just so good.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Gin is also acceptable, particularly in the summer months.

(I actually don't drink that much anymore either)

Absolut Citron and Tonic makes a truly lovely summer tipple.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Makers Mark is good as bourbon goes. I prefer scotch personally. The Macallan is the boring choice, but it's just so good.

Sounds like you have boring whiskey tastes in general. Markers is the most boring bourbon possible, by design.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

Down a few dozen mg of phenazepam, come too a week later to find that you've ordered a few hundred thousand dollars worth of baby grand pianos Buffalo equipment Russian wives.

FTFY.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm almost out of Springbank 15 so this conversation is very relevant to my IT career.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Absolut Citron and Tonic makes a truly lovely summer tipple.

Vodka :frogout:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I just drank the last of my Stoli Elite...

I'll fix that tomorrow. In the meantime I have my Bulleit Rye Whisky.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Let's talk Japanese whiskey, Nikka Taketsuru and Suntory Hibiki are my go-tos, they are just so tasty.

deimos fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 24, 2016

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I just drank the last of my Stoli Elite...

I'll fix that tomorrow. In the meantime I have my Bulleit Rye Whisky.
Finally someone with a half decent opinion itt. Bulleit is great, though bourbon > rye

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just downloaded a 42GB game in under an hour.

I remember 15 years when 20mb was a task and commitmetn and a 100mb game mod (Black Hawk Down for Rogue Spear) required going over to my grandpa's house to use his connection to get it on a Zip disk.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Deuce posted:

Re: A ticket came in: PYF whiskey

Moskovskaya

What? :colbert:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

skooma512 posted:

I just downloaded a 42GB game in under an hour.

I remember 15 years when 20mb was a task and commitmetn and a 100mb game mod (Black Hawk Down for Rogue Spear) required going over to my grandpa's house to use his connection to get it on a Zip disk.

Pff I remember downloading an Apogee side-scroller on a 2400 baud modem.

I'm sure there's people ITT who are old enough to have typed in the source code for a game from a magazine.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

deimos posted:

Let's talk Japanese whiskey, Nikka Taketsuru and Suntory Hibiki are my go-tos, they are just so tasty.

Blended whiskeys are so meh.

Yamazaki 18 is the best whiskey I've ever had. Too bad last time I went back to Japan, they'd jacked up the price to 500 bucks a bottle. Hopefully this time it will be back normal again.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Craptacular posted:

I'm sure there's people ITT who are old enough to have typed in the source code for a game from a magazine.

Yes, but I was only about six.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Craptacular posted:

Pff, 2400 baud, must be nice.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Craptacular posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766397

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Jim Beam Black is my most important tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

porktree posted:

Pff, 2400 baud, must be nice.

We still had a Tandy 1000 as our family computer well into the 90s. I remember playing Final Fantasy 3 on my SNES and downloading a FAQ from Compuserve on a 300 baud modem by turning on the buffer when loading the text file through the telecom program Deskmate came with, and then turning off the buffer once it finished the 100k file. :suicide:

• Locked thread