Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Sir Tonk posted:

Still one of my favorite ideas ever, dude deserves a medal.

When he started Ride of the Valkyries I loving lost it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah but the Green Party is on the same level as the Libertarian party. Belva Ann Lockwood is the actual first woman presidential Nominee in that case.

Like she was the nominee for the National Equal Rights party.

So Jill Stein is wrong.

Or just go down this list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_United_States_presidential_and_vice-presidential_candidates#Party_nominees

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 24, 2016

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Epic High Five posted:

Somebody should just follow them with a tuba playing that fat doofus walk bit over and over like that one guy did with the skinhead march, then everybody laughed at them

edit - sorry, it was the KKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k

This is magical

Just saw a a rep congressman named Jolly on CNN explaining his bill he plans on bringing up when the House returns, follows the No Fly List bullshit as the other bills but adds that the person in question must be notified by the government and be given the opportunity within 30 days to protest the decision.

Of course, until the actual bill is presented it could all be bullshit but it's no worse than what's been proposed so far.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Dead Reckoning posted:

rockets, modern airplanes, and microwaves

If gun owners were mandated to visibly display publicly-published identification information linked to their full name and address whenever carrying or using their guns (as is the case with airplane owners, model rocket enthusiasts, and even drone hobbyists) that would honestly work pretty well for me, so yeah, sure.

Forehead tattoos would probably work.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but the Green Party is on the same level as the Libertarian party.

In terms of political relevance, they are behind even the libertarians.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but the Green Party is on the same level as the Libertarian party. Belva Ann Lockwood is the actual first woman presidential Nominee in that case.

Like she was the nominee for the National Equal Rights party.

So Jill Stein is wrong.

Or just go down this list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_United_States_presidential_and_vice-presidential_candidates#Party_nominees

As that list points out, Stein wasn't even the first female nominated by the Greens.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This got me thinking: a lot of people don't seem to realize that assault weapon bans don't actually have anything to do with automatic weapons. They explicitly state that they apply to semi automatics. Which are legal.

For those not aware, owning a machine gun or actual assault rifle requires a special license that costs hundreds of dollars and a multi month background check. Also, the weapon must have been added to the registry before it was closed in the 80s. 

It's surely a coincidence it's extremely rare for real automatics to be used in crimes. 

Anyway, I wonder who, if that law hadn't been passed and were up for consideration now, would still take an absolute zero gun control stance. I don't think I've ever seen anyone push for it to be repealed, or even the registry opened again.

Almost as if the term "assault weapon" and the manner in which it is used are intentionally meant to cloud the issue.

It's certainly rare for registered automatics to be used in crimes, but it's for the same reason the one rarely sees Beretta Imperiale Monte Carlo or Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe over-under shotguns used in crimes: the people who can afford to drop five figures on a gun are not the people holding up liquor stores or popping caps at each other on the corner. That said, if your goal is to price weapons out of reach of the lower classes for their own good, it's best not to say it explicitly.

There are a few people who push to reopen the MG registry, and even before it was closed registered MGs were almost never used in crimes, but most gun owners have it filed under "never gonna happen."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

If gun owners were mandated to visibly display publicly-published identification information linked to their full name and address whenever carrying or using their guns (as is the case with airplane owners, model rocket enthusiasts, and even drone hobbyists) that would honestly work pretty well for me, so yeah, sure.

Forehead tattoos would probably work.

Not that it would be a gigantic burden if we did, but I don't think model rocketeers have to display their name or NAR/TRA number or anything when flying, just be certified and have that card in their wallet.

I hope I haven't been unwittingly doing it wrong. :ohdear:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dead Reckoning posted:

That said, if your goal is to price weapons out of reach of the lower classes for their own good, it's best not to say it explicitly.

Bullshit. I'll repeat what I said twenty years ago about 'Saturday night specials': You have a right to buy a gun. You don't have a right for it to be affordable.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Full Battle Rattle posted:

In terms of political relevance, they are behind even the libertarians.

I'm not sure the Greens are even as relevant as the Constitution Party.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
They're as relevant as measles.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Epic High Five posted:

Somebody should just follow them with a tuba playing that fat doofus walk bit over and over like that one guy did with the skinhead march, then everybody laughed at them

edit - sorry, it was the KKK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k

Rs4P1kKK-5k

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Electric Bugaloo posted:

When radar was first pioneered it was straight-up introduced as a potential avenue for the creation of a sci-fi "death ray" type weapon.

Just because that particular endeavor ultimately failed and the tech ended up better serving other, more generally benign, ends doesn't negate the fact that the US and British governments both plowed some cash and time in the late 30s-mid 40s into seeing if they couldn't at least turn it into an anti-personnel device.

Remember, War of the Worlds was first published in 1898 and [extremely dangerous] radiation experiments had already been going on since before the turn of the 20th Century. When you consider that and throw in what was also going on with the Manhattan Project and similar efforts at the time, it shouldn't be surprising that people were eager to develop microwave and radar tech into hypothetical 'targeted energy' or radiation-based weapons virtually as soon as it made the scene.

And you could also make the argument that radar tech and ballistics tech had fundamental impacts on each other's development and trajectories, particularly in radar's most formative decades in the 50's-70's. We simply wouldn't have today's arsenal or civilian/municipal radar technology without the US's almost 70-year legacy of radar-guided bomb development.

Holy hell this thread is already a standard-bearer for speciousness but goddamn if 'Nikola Tesla once dreamed of a death ray, therefore...' doesn't take the cake

E:

JerryLee posted:

Not that it would be a gigantic burden if we did, but I don't think model rocketeers have to display their name or NAR/TRA number or anything when flying, just be certified and have that card in their wallet.

I hope I haven't been unwittingly doing it wrong. :ohdear:

The government quite literally doesn't have to regulate model rocketry (much) because powermad hobbyists do it for them.

We have yet to suffer a rash of Estes-based murders, to the best of my knowledge.

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 24, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Thomas should have because his wife works as a lobbyist for the healthcare industry.

It's a toss up between Thomas and Roberts for which justice gives the least fucks about corruption on the bench but if any of the sitting justices were to ever get removed for corruption my money's on Thomas.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Gyges posted:

I'm not sure the Greens are even as relevant as the Constitution Party.

I've never heard of the constitution party so I guess this is where you and I part ways.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I've never heard of the constitution party so I guess this is where you and I part ways.

Far right Christian fascists.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

The government quite literally doesn't have to regulate model rocketry (much) because powermad hobbyists do it for them.

We have yet to suffer a rash of Estes-based murders, to the best of my knowledge.

Maybe you knew this and your (much) was meant to account for it, but there actually was a long battle in the courts between the major rocketry associations and the government over exactly the extent to which sport rocketry needed to be governmentally regulated.

Wikipedia posted:

Tripoli was involved as a plaintiff in a nine-year lawsuit (in conjunction with the National Association of Rocketry as a co-plaintiff) against the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) as the defendant, regarding its claims of jurisdiction over and legal classifications regarding permitting, storage, and use of ammonium perchlorate composite propellant (APCP) in rocket motors. On March 16, 2009, the US District Court for the District of Columbia found in favor of TRA/NAR, and ordered the BATFE to vacate APCP from its list of regulated explosives.

Agreed that the hobby in general does a good job of responsibly self-regulating itself. Gun enthusiasts should take note.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has the Green Party always been so " We need to go back to living in huts and stop using modern medicine to prevent diseases" or has it just been in recent years that they veered into weirdness.

I honestly don't know that much about the party. I always thought it was just a environmentalist party.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Populism isn't always racist, though that's been the trend since the early 30's in America. The Share our Wealth movement led by the Kingfish himself; Huey Long, was economic in nature. Unlike the New Deal, which left out Black folks as it was passed to undercut Long's movement, Share the Wealth had no such omission.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Potato Salad posted:

http://fortune.com/2016/06/22/brexit-donald-trump/

This is not the first time I've seen Trump described as a populist. I am having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Is Trump's populism that businesses want to help The People, but the Government is standing in the way? I'm looking for a serious answer. My mind is open for the purposes of understanding why he's named a populist so often.

The only requirement to be a populist leader is that you have a bunch of people who like you, because they believe your platform is in their interest.

The populist can be left or right; fascist or anarchist; warmongering or pacifist to a fault. They just need popularity.

It's rather like how we define pop music: it's pretty much just what's in right now, and it robs other genres constantly - plus it's rarely the same thing year to year let alone decade to decade.

Usually, both serious party presidential candidates will be reasonably populist on one or more issues. Often they ll be populist on the same big issue in opposite ways!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

So I hate to be that America centric guy, but what does a brexit vote mean for me? Because holy crap it might be happening

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Zelder posted:

So I hate to be that America centric guy, but what does a brexit vote mean for me? Because holy crap it might be happening

I thought it was not going to happen?!!!

Oh poo poo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zelder posted:

Cheap vacations in the UK and Milo gloating for a week or two

Right now all signs are pointing to the entire world losing all faith in the Pound Sterling so they're really hosed in the short term. In the last 12 hours it's dropped to the lowest it's been in decades. Tough to say how anything will spin here but I think since Trump already has all the isolationists locked down and he's 100% behind a policy that would have resulted in said huge economic depression I'm not as confident it helps him as others here

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Zelder posted:

Nothing immediately. The process will take at least two years, and even then its impact will be minor. It won't crash us, but may knock like 0.5% off our GDP for a few quarters is my best guess.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hollismason posted:

Has the Green Party always been so " We need to go back to living in huts and stop using modern medicine to prevent diseases" or has it just been in recent years that they veered into weirdness.

I honestly don't know that much about the party. I always thought it was just a environmentalist party.

Green party beliefs have barely budged since the 60s and 70s. Most of their worst current policy proposals were considered plausible or downright correct with the knowledge of the time, even 40 plus years on we see they suck.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zelder posted:

The Dow has already lost 600 in overnight trading, so it's probably going to be messy at least tomorrow on Wall St.

It's nice to know that we're not the only country dumb enough to shoot ourselves in the foot because of racism.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Is the Brexit going to actually happen though?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Zelder posted:

It means the world markets get a sampler platter of a trump election, and britain loses about a trillion dollars in 12 hours. If you have any investments, expect them to take a tumble.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hollismason posted:

All signs point to yes

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hollismason posted:

'It's looking very likely at this point.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Markets plummet, Trump gets elected, 10,000 years of darkness.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hollismason posted:

I knew they opposed nuclear power, but hasn't heard about anything regarding medicine, so I looked up Jill Stein on Wikipedia:

quote:

Stein has stated that "vaccines in general have made a huge contribution to public health," but suggested that it is reasonable to be skeptical of mandatory vaccinations due to allegedly close connections between corporate interests and regulatory agencies.[105] Regarding homeopathic medicine, which the Green Party supports "the teaching, funding and practice of", Stein has stated that it is problematic that "agencies tied to big pharma and the chemical industry" test medicines

Hoo boy.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bushiz posted:

It means the world markets get a sampler platter of a trump election, and britain loses about a trillion dollars in 12 hours. If you have any investments, expect them to take a tumble.

heh heh, poverty boys triumph yet again

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well that's not good at all.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I mean in addition to just being really worried for all my friends in the UK in general, I'm also really worried that the global economic chaos Brexit could cause having a knock-on effect and giving Trump the opening he needs to slide back into polling decently.

I mean, maybe not, since he's already shown he couldn't manage to take advantage of the other crisis everyone said he would capitalize on, but you never know...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Don't people tend to vote more conservative in times of economic crisis?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Green party position on any issue is <statement vague enough for anybody to find what they're looking for>

It's a banal party of wishy washy single issue types which is why, despite name recognition, they're dramatically inferior to the Libertarians, who are at the very least united in their desire to see child prostitution legalized and all social services cut to zero

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

If trump were halfway capable of speaking intelligently when pushed on a topic I'd be worried

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just wanted to point out that, according to Wikipedia, Jill Stein has won two elections in her life. Each time winning with about 500 votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Don't people tend to vote more conservative in times of economic crisis?

Generally, yeah. Do they vote more Trump though? The UK lost a trillion dollars in the last 12 hours by following his blueprint, I expect Clinton will bring that up

• Locked thread