Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zaodai posted:

Doing your job doesn't make you less valuable. Especially when you do your job exceptionally well.

Dadlas will still get my vote.

Me too. What's the significance of his atlas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sebmojo posted:

Me too. What's the significance of his atlas?

It holds up the world. On a pile of broken mechs and shattered dreams.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

No, see, this just shows that it's still confusing, because that's not how it works. The advantage of being an ACE is that you move after your opponent. So you can run up and kick him, for example.
It's actually:
Turn 16 part 1 (at the end of a PTN update): Enemy non-ace mechs move.
Turn 16 part 2 (at the beginning of the following update): Player mechs move. Player mechs already in the zone GTFO, player mechs not alreayd in the zone who want to leave move into the zone.
Turn 16 part 3 (just after the map PTN posts showing player movement): Enemy ACE units move. They... move into the green extraction zone, turning it red? Retroactively?

Units in the extraction zone don't leave the moment they enter the extraction zone, but that's not the hang-up here.

Consider winning initiative in BattleTech as a something that has real, tangible benefits.

ACE units aren't "moving last" except in game terms. Fluffwise everything's moving simultaneously but those ACE units are actively moving to counter what the units around them are doing.

In terms of actual game mechanics this wouldn't even be a question if we were playing with RAW initiative where opposing forces move units alternatively. If we were, the moment a player retreated a player unit out of the extraction zone I could've move something of mine into that unit's hex to replace it potentially stopping everything else from retreating. I'd also be using a much bigger extraction zone to keep that from being an issue

If we were playing with RAW initiative, every turn would probably take a month--and since I don't want to tie up four to fifteen people for more than a year for a single mission we're not playing with RAW initiative. So yes, I am absolutely affording ACE units a little extra "mechanical" benefit because they're actually just really good MechWarriors no matter their stats.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

I just realised Ath needs a custom Atlas called the Athlas

thirded.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Why would you give an Atlas to a dead man???

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Instead of an Altas he should get some kind of Great Turtle IIC. Or maybe a prototype Osteon from before the Society packed up for CapCon. None of the extra bullshit but all of the toughness.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

As much as I, too, like pointing out that other guys did a great job, there's no way Dadlas isn't MVP this round.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The real MVP was the Stag. Despite spontaneous self-deconstruction, pratfalls, and bouts of narcolepsy it still managed to leave under its own power.

Sair
May 11, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

That elbow drop was the best use one of those had ever been put to.

Sometimes a pilot makes a machine shine.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Tran posted:

The real MVP was the Stag. Despite spontaneous self-deconstruction, pratfalls, and bouts of narcolepsy it still managed to leave under its own power.

I am mildly sure I will be voting for the Stag as well, for tanking all the bad rolls like a champ.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Opfor mvp is the quad that blew off its own legs before making contact.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tran posted:

Really, for a mission like this high impact clusterfuck, there ought to be a runner-up place for the voting categories too.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Ath has done a crappy job. Sure, he kept himself safe, but if he had risked himself he would've gotten way better and more shots by just walking closer. If he had been blown up by a doggy it would've saved someone else.

Haze/Goshawk OpFor MvP, for ordering focus fire and blocking the exit.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 24, 2016

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Tran posted:

Personally, I vote that we add a new category for MVPs with this mission. The Oh God Why MVP Award, for those units who got styled on or got jinxed the most by the dice. And this mission's clear winners would be the Stag for being THE Bad Luck Sink of the mission on Gooncompany's side, while the Blood Kite gets the award for the Clanner side for getting absolutely clowned by a drone a third of his weight.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

e: wrong thread sorry

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Can the screamer go grab haze on its jump to the exit? dude is just sitting there in an ejection chair, easy target.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

It's really too late now, noone wants to end turn in view of Ath, especially now that he's getting his act together (although if he really was, he'd accept that moving closer is too late now and get in position against the Revenants).
Hope Haze made it down without any more pilot hits.
Maybe if the Republic catches him alive someday they can give him an upgrade.

Edit: He was trying to be fair? That explains it.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 24, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

It's really too late now, noone wants to end turn in view of Ath, especially now that he's getting his act together (although if he really was, he'd accept that moving closer is too late now and get in position against the Revenants).

You expect him to waste his time shooting battered machines that other pilots clearly weren't committed on taking out? He's barely trying this fight. He picked the most dangerous (from his perspective) target and he gave it as fair an engagement as an assault can give a heavy. Which, to Clan eyes, is admittedly not very fair at all but the Mad Dog's an Omni at least.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 24, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Mood: Bored.

:v:

I hope we get another Ath PoV. Maybe turn him in to our recurring threat since the poor schmuck we let live in the Lucerne Hawk Hunter from last mission got his head vaporized.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

You expect him to waste his time shooting battered machines that other pilots clearly weren't committed on taking out? He's barely trying this fight. He picked the most dangerous (from his perspective) target and he gave it as fair an engagement as an assault can give a heavy. Which, to Clan eyes, is admittedly not very fair at all but the Mad Dog's an Omni at least.

He certainly forced me to keep my move mod up every turn, and we saw what happened when I had to execute that goofy run to withdraw. I think you did a great job balancing the threat in this mission without ever making the players feel like the situation was completely lost. That has to be difficult.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

I figure that Ath deliberately walked into range of the Boomdoggie because the explosion is about the most exciting thing that happened to him this entire mission.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

PoptartsNinja posted:

Is the Hellstar so good that the Clans view it as a punishment mech, or some kind of backhanded compliment?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Is the Hellstar so good that the Clans view it as a punishment mech, or some kind of backhanded compliment?

Both Clanners and the Draconis Combine both have this really weird view of honor where in certain 'Mechs are viewed as distasteful, not because they are bad (in fact, quite often they are 'Mechs that other States would gouge out their right eyes to have in large numbers), but because something about said 'Mech is offensive in some vague way to their code of honor.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Rorahusky posted:

Both Clanners and the Draconis Combine both have this really weird view of honor where in certain 'Mechs are viewed as distasteful, not because they are bad (in fact, quite often they are 'Mechs that other States would gouge out their right eyes to have in large numbers), but because something about said 'Mech is offensive in some vague way to their code of honor.

Ooooh, what sort of mechs?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Artificer posted:

Mechs that need to operate in tandem with other mechs, like dudes using TAG.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

wiegieman posted:

It's second line, so it's a "punishment `Mech" by default. It's not the Naga though, so it's hardly a giant middle finger to the Mechwarrior piloting it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's second line, so it's a "punishment `Mech" by default. It's not the Naga though, so it's hardly a giant middle finger to the Mechwarrior piloting it.

Is it second line only because it's not an omni? The Hellstar still seems like a very good mech to my unpracticed eye.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

Is it second line only because it's not an omni?

This is correct.

Many second-line BattleMechs are better than OmniMechs. Second Line `mechs are almost always specialized to do one thing really well.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 24, 2016

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Your unpracticed eye may have passed over the many posts calling it "boringly OP," but its use here is wildly out of context, and as such its canonical deployment and history is more or less irrelevant.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The Merry Marauder posted:

Your unpracticed eye may have passed over the many posts calling it "boringly OP," but its use here is wildly out of context, and as such its canonical deployment and history is more or less irrelevant.

Oh I saw those, but if it's a good machine that does it's job well (that job being vaping dudes), then I don't think that the Hellstar being too OP should matter all that much fluff-wise when chosen for deployment. Game mechanics wise, maybe.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 24, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He did show up in a unit of other non-Omnimechs. They could be the designated heavy second-liners for this area.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Artificer posted:

We saw a "dishonored" DCMS mech in the Saving Janos Marik mission, a Gladiator. Nothing particularly wrong with it, just a project undertaken by the non-Kuritan Coordinator that lost its first big battle and thus got the fluff cooties.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There're quite a few `Mechs with "bad reputations" for various reasons. Some are deserved, some aren't.

The Gladiator got poo poo-listed as mentioned above.

The Spider is maligned in-universe because it doesn't have an ejection mechanism.

The Assassin's cockpit is so cramped and tiny (the pilot is also literally sitting on the fusion engine) that piloting one for an extended period is outright hazardous to the pilot.

The Clint is hated by the successor states because it's a hard-to-repair hangar queen.

Pretty much no one will so much as touch (much less consider piloting) one of the Wobbie Omnis.

Etc, etc.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pretty much no one will so much as touch (much less consider piloting) one of the Wobbie Omnis.

I bet it's that small cockpit isn't it?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And the Nazi Cosplay Effect.

And that's not really fair, for example the French army adopted the Panther as one of their tank models in the immediate aftermath of WW2 without bothering themselves with that. What did bother them was that they found the Panther to be kind of a piece of poo poo in several very important aspects.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Boogle posted:

I bet it's that small cockpit isn't it?

That's part of it, yeah.

The other part of it is "most of them exploded and if something breaks we don't have the parts to fix it"

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Are there any wob franken mechs? They're omnimecha, I believe? Doesn't that mean they're at least somewhat comfortable with other omnis, or would that only be with others in their series/line?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

Are there any wob franken mechs? They're omnimecha, I believe? Doesn't that mean they're at least somewhat comfortable with other omnis, or would that only be with others in their series/line?

The Kheper and Yao Lien are about as close as it gets. The Wobbies didn't allow many of their machines get captured.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 24, 2016

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's part of it, yeah.

The other part of it is "most of them exploded and if something breaks we don't have the parts to fix it"

More the second I would think. Plenty of people were cruising in salvaged Celestials all over the Jihad. Can't blame a commander for seeing an Archangel in the hanger and just waving goodbye to whatever death trap they are stuck in.

Edit ^^^
Also the Capellan Yao Lien is produced by the Capellan Confederation basically transplanting a Wobbie Frankenmech facility making a Mech from celestial spare parts. Can't remember the name of the blakist Mech right now.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Anything made for the Yakuza forces is also tainted by the stigma of being a 'dishonored' 'Mech in the Combine's eyes, and I am pretty sure (though I may be misremembering it right) that there is one regiment in particular that the DC traditionalists loath with a passion that is almost holy, and anything that gets assigned to that regiment first is automatically sneered at and rejected. And as for the Clans, anything that isn't an Omni is considered second line, and thus is only fit for aging warriors or Freebirths.

That's not to say that other States don't have their own collection of 'Mechs which have an unfair stigma, such as the Battle Hawk, which was a perfectly fine 'Mech that got thrown under a bus after the Lyran commander in charge of its first deployment hosed things up and deflected the blame onto the untried Battlemech.

Edit: I went and checked, and I thiiiiiink the regiments in question that the DC traditionalists shat on so much was the Legion of Vega.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 24, 2016

• Locked thread