Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Terrorforge posted:

Fun fact: in some parts of the world, particularly Europe and particularly particularly the Nordic countries, Donald Duck's popularity eclipses Mickey Mouse's. In these places he's become the de facto Disney mascot, and Disney products are sometimes rebranded to reflect this. For example, the Christmas special From All of Us to All of You (also known as Jiminy Cricket's Christmas) is generally called Donald Duck and Friends Celebrate Christmas, despite being presented by Jiminy Cricket and otherwise just being a generic Disney clip show.

Which reminds me; Disney comics have always been hugely popular in Europe, to the point of spawning an entire officially licensed native Disney comics industry. Probably the weirdest result of this was the Italian Paperinik; basically, in the late 60's they gave Donald Duck a "superhero" alter ego in the mold of contemporary pulp heroes. In English, the character is usually known as the "Duck Avenger".

So he's already kind of a silly crossover fan character to begin with, but the really weird stuff hit with the 1996 reboot Paperinik New Adventures:

Yeah, that's a gritty 90s sci-fi comic starring Donald Duck in a stupid mask and featuring at least two genocides.

The weirdest part is that it ain't half bad.

Yep, I remember reading this (in swedish) and it loving owned when I was a kid, dunno if I would think the same if I read it today. I don't think you can find them anywhere these days though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Many of these are smaller versions that can be clicked for a larger one.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rodbeard posted:

If anything is a numbers station it's the thousands of videos of random CG characters doing nursery rhymes.

Aren't they just click farms? I remember reading somewhere that the concept is to take something that's royalty-free/public domain (like nursery rhymes) so that it can't get taken down by copyright, and then pay people to watch the ads or something?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

rockopete posted:

This is fascinating, thanks for posting it. Wanna read that comic.

Foxhound posted:

Yep, I remember reading this (in swedish) and it loving owned when I was a kid, dunno if I would think the same if I read it today. I don't think you can find them anywhere these days though.

IDW is releasing the first official English translation starting this August. The Swedish version was apparently re-released as a series of paperback collections just last year.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

IDW is releasing the first official English translation starting this August. The Swedish version was apparently re-released as a series of paperback collections just last year.

The "normal" Paperinik comics are also really good. There's one story where it turns out that Gladstone Gander was supposed to find the costume. The old Phantom, not knowing that Donald is the actual avenger, returns to train his lazy slob cousin.

And then there was Super Goofy. I remember a ton of his stories in the old 70-80's comics but he faded into obscurity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Speaking of IDW, their Transformers comics have been the best thing to happen to the franchise since Beast Wars.
More Than Meets The Eye, and Robots In Disguise, the two ongoings, have been fairly shockingly good.
The miniseries that got me back into the comics for Transformers, Last Stand of the Wreckers, is exceptional as well.
MTMTE mixes classic Star Trek adventuring with grandiose dramatic plots and self-aware tomfoolery,
while RID is all about political strife on a newly "reformatted" Cybertron, and Starscream is in charge.

Oh, and Megatron's an Autobot now, and it's the best thing that's ever happened to his character.

Have some IDW or just general Transformers fanart(some I think may be art by IDW artists that never got used, not sure)

This was apparently the artist's first attempt at drawing a Transformer, which is pretty loving impressive

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Speaking of cartoon characters adapted into quasi-fanart 90's superheroes, this reminded me of a series of books I picked up as a child. They were horrible.

I figured these books got released for a quick cash in and immediately forgotten about but while finding those book covers I found out there's also a horrible looking straight-to-dvd movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj1zxHniq8Y

mr meowzers
Sep 18, 2014

Christo posted:

Speaking of cartoon characters adapted into quasi-fanart 90's superheroes, this reminded me of a series of books I picked up as a child. They were horrible.

I figured these books got released for a quick cash in and immediately forgotten about but while finding those book covers I found out there's also a horrible looking straight-to-dvd movie.

Saw some in a flea market a month ago. Otherwise, I would refuse their reality. If I go back and they are there, I might do scans. I am diseased.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Alaois posted:

i hope you will all enjoy my upcoming series of arts, Disney Princesses as Disney Princesses

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, and Megatron's an Autobot now, and it's the best thing that's ever happened to his character.

I don't loving believe this.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This must be a real BuzzFeed post.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This must be a real BuzzFeed post.

it is.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RareAcumen posted:

I don't loving believe this.

There's a $50 Megatron toy, by Hasbro, that gives you the choice of an Autobot or Decepticon sticker for his chest.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

This is certainly a brave new world we are living in!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anora posted:

There's a $50 Megatron toy, by Hasbro, that gives you the choice of an Autobot or Decepticon sticker for his chest.

Oh. Well in that case, everything besides '$50 Megatron toy' in that sentence is okay then.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Christo posted:

Oh God I read these as a kid, I read all of them :negative: and the most embarrassing part is at the time I genuinely enjoyed them and thought they were cool.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

One of Reinhardt's alternate skins makes him look like one of the robots from TTGL, I demand fanart of it right now.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

My nephew really found this^ hilarious, but he's also obsessed with memes and thinks racist jokes are edgy and cool, so maybe I should just keep disregarding his opinions about everything. Especially xboxes.

For more "You must be at least <--THIS--> brain-damaged to enjoy X" how about some hypno-mindcontrol fetish

...though apparently it's mostly OCs, but while we're at deviantart anyway

http://i.imgur.com/zcb0i9t.png (nws?)

http://i.imgur.com/KRU1djF.png (also nws?)

Should I be glad that it (usually) requires conscious effort to check whether an image contains pantyshot/etc? Different tack.

silentsnack has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Jun 23, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

http://yukisamui.tumblr.com/post/146327587939/i-noticed-almost-every-character-in-overwatch-has

All the characters in Overwatch coming together to give you words of encouragement.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

...So is this one of the good ones or bad ones?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Forgall posted:

My Son Wanted to Wear a Dress When He Went to Conquer Other Planets
What happens after a species takes offense to this will brighten your day.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord

Christo posted:

Oh god, I owned some of those, and thought they were fun at the time. I had lousy taste as a kid.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh God I read these as a kid, I read all of them :negative: and the most embarrassing part is at the time I genuinely enjoyed them and thought they were cool.

There's no shame in a kid liking kid things.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I guarantee you that an adult fandom probably exists for it and they write stories of all the characters doing horrible things to each other

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RareAcumen posted:

Oh. Well in that case, everything besides '$50 Megatron toy' in that sentence is okay then.

It, uh, gets worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XinHbmJn9gw

technically fan art.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anora posted:

It, uh, gets worse:

technically fan art.

I'm not interested enough to watch it but I'm not surprised they're expensive toys. poo poo gets expensive and I basically stopped being surprised after seeing over 100$ dollhouses were a thing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not interested enough to watch it but I'm not surprised they're expensive toys. poo poo gets expensive and I basically stopped being surprised after seeing over 100$ dollhouses were a thing.

Appolyon is an unlicensed 3rd party figure. They are usually more expensive because they don't have Hasro's cost-cutting measures and are not mass-produced.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I too enjoyed The Lost Vikings.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The MSJ posted:

Appolyon is an unlicensed 3rd party figure. They are usually more expensive because they don't have Hasro's cost-cutting measures and are not mass-produced.

Also, generally, are way more intricate.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke

Anora posted:

It, uh, gets worse:

technically fan art.

The paragraph explaining Apolyon's story is one of the best things I have ever read, absolutely inspired. He comes to Earth to bring a deadly peace, although because he comes before the dawn of man I am unsure what part of the peace could become deadly. Or why the Earth was not peaceful in the first place before humans appeared. Killing the dinosaurs maybe? Perhaps they are the most un-peaceful of the pre-dawn of man earth inhabitants.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
please post entertaining stuff but not too much stuff per post thanks

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
No thong necklace? For shame, he has no sense of style or drive to equip every slot

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RareAcumen posted:

Apple on there is actually on the cheap side, as a lot of the third party TF makers right now have a massive hard on for combiners. The 6 man combiner Devestator usually runs like $600 for the whole thing.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

• Locked thread