Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MiracleWhale posted:

if 501 of 1000 people vote for something and 499 vote against, it doesn't seem to me like the 501 people have a strong case to make the 499 people live under the consequences of the vote. for many decisions that's acceptable but for decisions of extremely serious importance I don't think it's so great. :shrug:

Thomas Jefferson would gently caress you and any servants your family employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
do we really need to explain the difference between direct and representative democracy in a loving GBS thread, go to D&D

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MiracleWhale posted:

if 501 of 1000 people vote for something and 499 vote against, it doesn't seem to me like the 501 people have a strong case to make the 499 people live under the consequences of the vote. for many decisions that's acceptable but for decisions of extremely serious importance I don't think it's so great. :shrug:

that's the whole reason why we have constitutional democracies now

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
thomas jefferson would have voted to keep out the blacks and also to embargo them and also he would have raped them

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

MiracleWhale posted:

So you dont like democracy. Ok. Good to know.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

thomas jefferson would have voted to keep out the blacks
But if he did that he wouldn't have been able to have sexy times with them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
When does the racism begin? Gradually over the next 2 years?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

How could you wish this on people

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Shaocaholica posted:

It was inside us all along!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

But if he did that he wouldn't have been able to have sexy times with them.

he still gets to gently caress them but it's more of a metaphysical loving

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

tenspott posted:

So you dont like democracy. Ok. Good to know.

I won't argue further because lol at seriousposting on this website but I don't think that's a fair characterization of my position

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

5 years ago. I'm sure in the morning a bunch of the olds will show up in front of their polish neighbors house with a moving van.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I don't want the British to suffer, and this will likely have global consequences...but I also don't want to encourage this kind of retard behavior. So I think we must punish them with no abandon. Bye Bye :(

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

rezatahs posted:

as a way to differentiate its uniqueness from the scum below

Yeah. Erroneously. That was my point. But again I'd say that if you're referring to "the scum" you're more likely to say "down south" or "outside."

I am(was) a transplant, but the facts remain:

Anyone that lives in/near Anchorage and tries to pretend "the lower 48" is like a different country is a dipshit trying to feel like a special snowflake and has never lived anywhere else.

The remainder of the state can claim special snowflake status to wildly varying degrees, but I've still never heard any Alaskan that wasn't literally crazy refer to the USA like it was a different country/continent. At most you'll hear some whining about oil or mining or fishing related laws but the same poo poo happens in the Dakotas or Colorado or Texas or Maine or whatever.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MiracleWhale posted:

I won't argue further because lol at seriousposting on this website but I don't think that's a fair characterization of my position
I know what you're getting at, but it's rare for issue that go directly to the voting public to have more than five to ten points of separation between one side and the other when it comes time to make a decision. That's why they're serious decisions: people are passionate and possibly divided about it.

The Scottish campaign for independence was seen as being heavily defeated, and they lost the vote by 10%.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 24, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So when are the browns/Poles getting kicked out of the country?

I'd throw the poors in there but at this rate Australia is going to beat out their GDP.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

How could you wish this on people

Motherfucker you have been here since 2003, you know how this poo poo functions.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MiracleWhale posted:

I kind of think making major policy decisions rely on a simply majority in a referendum is sort of dumb.

In a presidential system a simple majority is defensible for the election of the executive, but presidential systems are also pretty dumb.

Parliamentary systems seem to do sort of well, if wacky at time, with proportional voting for reps/mps.

Votes taking place in government though seem to work best on straight majorities, because deadlock can become an issue quickly with higher thresholds.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
Next the UK should get rid of the royal parasites.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So when are the browns/Poles getting kicked out of the country?

I'd throw the poors in there but at this rate Australia is going to beat out their GDP.

Curry browns or kabab browns?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Grammaton posted:

they cast out the german tyrants in the eu, now to cast out the ones in buckingham palace

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It was inside us all along!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYuF6TI1dI

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Grammaton posted:

No way because they need the tourism revenue.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

VendaGoat posted:

Motherfucker you have been here since 2003, you know how this poo poo functions.

:regd03:'s amirite?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

I don't care SIR :colbert:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Good luck getting in tourists with those borders now!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

don't worry because malcolm tucker will sort this all out

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

FrankieGoes posted:

Yeah. Erroneously. That was my point. But again I'd say that if you're referring to "the scum" you're more likely to say "down south" or "outside."

I am(was) a transplant, but the facts remain:

Anyone that lives in/near Anchorage and tries to pretend "the lower 48" is like a different country is a dipshit trying to feel like a special snowflake and has never lived anywhere else.

The remainder of the state can claim special snowflake status to wildly varying degrees, but I've still never heard any Alaskan that wasn't literally crazy refer to the USA like it was a different country/continent. At most you'll hear some whining about oil or mining or fishing related laws but the same poo poo happens in the Dakotas or Colorado or Texas or Maine or whatever.

so yeah an outsider claiming anchorage is "a lovely denver with little more snow" pretty much sums it up. how many winters did you last before all the cold and dark made you tuck tail? you even go into the bush? gtfo beeeotch lol

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WHY DID YOU VOTE FOR THIS YEW loving BAGS OF SHITE

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

No way because they need the tourism revenue.

Put them in cages and display them like zoos used to do to non-white people.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Good job Tony Blair, I bet when you convinced the world that Iraq had WMDs you didn't expect this outcome. Cause and effect.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

Put them in cages and display them like zoos used to do to non-white people.
Yes, but only after forced inbreeding turns the family into horrible genetic mutants.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't care SIR :colbert:

You know what?

I can, at the very loving least, respect this opinion.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Grammaton posted:

Can't be a kingdom without a monarchy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dravs posted:

Good job Tony Blair, I bet when you convinced the world that Iraq had WMDs you didn't expect this outcome. Cause and effect.
When David Cameron announced the referendum he probably thought to himself "pfffffffft okay fine let the cunts vote whatever they're going to lose". Then he hosed a pig.

VendaGoat posted:

You know what?

I can, at the very loving least, respect this opinion.

:c00l:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Curry browns or kabab browns?

The ones that took literally all of the jobs, what with their <20% population presence.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

holy poo poo. i'm double downing on trump this november now boys

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Zmej posted:

holy poo poo. i'm double downing on trump this november now boys
I keep assuming that he's going to be crushed, and then I see that Hillary's aide used the 5th 125+ times in his deposition on the Server Kerfuffle the other day.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

MiracleWhale posted:

But the situation is either the 499 people get what they want or the 501 people get what they want. If 501 people isn't enough of a majority to get what they want, why is 499 somehow sufficient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This is going to turn out like those dudes that badger their wives into an open marriage so they can screw coeds, just to find out that they can't get laid anymore because they are old and ugly.

• Locked thread