Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Hi, I like fighting games and the last time I played a Street Fighter game was when I was 10. Should I play Street Fighter V? Should I play Street Fighter IV? Should I play any of the Street Fighter/Tekken games?

if you want any semblance of single player content, do not buy this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

I forgot to mention that. The single player content is not just minuscule but what is there, like the survival
mode, is loving terrible

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

No it isn't. At least not in North America and Western Europe. You can build a quality gaming PC for the same price as the PS4. Keep in mind you don't have to pay $50 a year to play online.

Well, the cheapest build there is 465, that's still more expensive than a new PS4 - and performance might be shaky on a bunch of games. Which is another strike against PC, a PS4 lets you play every single competitive FG out of the box not named KI. PC doesn't even get some games.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

interrodactyl posted:

Well I DO enjoy single player.

Is SF4's single player any good?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

nope

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the only current fighting game with good single player content is guilty gear

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Right now? It's bad but it still has more content than SFV. As soon as the June patch ends, that might not be true anymore.

If you enjoy SP and want a game where you could try your hand at multiplayer eventually, I'd suggest MKX. Injustice 2 will probably cannibalize a lot of its playerbase tho.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dias posted:

Well, the cheapest build there is 465, that's still more expensive than a new PS4 - and performance might be shaky on a bunch of games. Which is another strike against PC, a PS4 lets you play every single competitive FG out of the box not named KI. PC doesn't even get some games.

The PC listed can easily run any modern game comfortably, and max out any fighting game. Also as said before you also don't need PSN plus to pay online so the extra $65 or so is easily recouped.

I agree with you that the PC still isn't the best when it comes to fighting game support. It has come a long way, but at the end of the day Revelator and KOF XIV still aren't announced.

darealkooky posted:

the only current fighting game with good single player content is guilty gear

I recall Mortal Kombat used to put in A LOT of effort into their game's single player experience. Haven't played their most recent games though.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 24, 2016

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
There's a reason why Mortal Kombat is popular and successful and it's not EVO, Capcom.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

punk rebel ecks posted:

The PC listed can easily run any modern game comfortably.

...for now, and it depends on how well-optimized they are, or if X game really doesn't like the AMD card you chose. I have a similar PC and MKX runs like poo poo. Hell, before I went to Windows 10 SFV ran like poo poo and I couldn't figure out why.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dias posted:

...for now, and it depends on how well-optimized they are, or if X game really doesn't like the AMD card you chose. I have a similar PC and MKX runs like poo poo.
To be fair MKX is the worst fighting game port there is. Virtually every other fighting game port is competent with almost all of them being able to run on a toaster. My 2011 PC can run any fighting game at high settings at 60fps.

Dias posted:

Hell, before I went to Windows 10 SFV ran like poo poo and I couldn't figure out why.

Capcom.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If you are reading this and are considering picking up SFV for $40 on the Steam Summer Sale but are concerned about a lack of single-player content, just wait a week for Story Mode to come out and see what the reception is; SSS lasts until July 4th anyways, at least.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
please do not buy fighting games for single player. they are inherently multiplayer experiences. buy beat-em-ups like phantom breaker battlegrounds or download ragnarok battle offline or get guardian heroes or something isntead like code of princess or something

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Play what you enjoy. :buddy:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

play dmc3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kof98
Last blade 2
Guilty gear xrd

these are the best fighting games i own

Sfv is in the bottom three.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
SFV is in the top 5 worst fighting game I ever played, top 20 worst game I ever played. After 300~ hours or so with it I can tell you, there is no repairing this thing, no amount of patches or updates will ever fix it, they need to delete the whole thing and fire everyone that worked on it. If you are sitting there with 40$ thinking if you should buy it or not, light the 40$ on fire or put it through a shredder, I guarantee you will have more fun doing that than any amount of time spent with SFV.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Fereydun posted:

play dmc3

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fereydun posted:

play dmc3

I like DMC4

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

dmc4 is the sf4 of anime goth swordsman demon murder games

DmC is the sf5 and DmC:Definitive Edition is the SF5 "june" update that will finally save this game by giving it a bunch of stuff it should've launched with

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

SFV is in the top 5 worst fighting game I ever played, top 20 worst game I ever played. After 300~ hours or so with it I can tell you, there is no repairing this thing, no amount of patches or updates will ever fix it, they need to delete the whole thing and fire everyone that worked on it. If you are sitting there with 40$ thinking if you should buy it or not, light the 40$ on fire or put it through a shredder, I guarantee you will have more fun doing that than any amount of time spent with SFV.

Like what would you say is the worst part of it? What has it failed at the worst? Fast and loose character designs? Random quality control of characters? Menu system?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Like what would you say is the worst part of it?

The waiting/loading for matches and instabiliy of those matches
there's so much else wrong but that's what killed it for me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zand posted:

please do not buy fighting games for single player. they are inherently multiplayer experiences. buy beat-em-ups like phantom breaker battlegrounds or download ragnarok battle offline or get guardian heroes or something isntead like code of princess or something

this is true.

if you want a single player experience, try the guilty gear games since they have fun challenges and will teach you useful stuff to a fairly deep level. but really no fighting games should be played single player. whether you are playing sfv or world heroes perfect, try to hit up the irc channel etc

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I don't understand people who buy fighting games for single player content. It made sense in the 2000s due to the lack of online play. But in the modern era besides tutorials and what not they are pointless. Well Guilty Gear does have some nice cutscenes in its story mode. But the story seems dumb.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't understand people who buy fighting games for single player content. It made sense in the 2000s due to the lack of online play. But in the modern era besides tutorials and what not they are pointless. Well Guilty Gear does have some nice cutscenes in its story mode. But the story seems dumb.

It never made sense

For kof and fightcade, add me at steamcommunity.com/id/booyah-

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

guilty gear also has a pretty cool casual rpg thing, thats why I said its the best along with the Good and Engaging Tutorials and the literal anime movie

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
some people just want to beat up some computers

again, this is why mk9 was huge

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

interrodactyl posted:

some people just want to beat up some computers

again, this is why mk9 was huge

cyrax and sektor are cyborgs not computers

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Like what would you say is the worst part of it? What has it failed at the worst? Fast and loose character designs? Random quality control of characters? Menu system?
The worst part is the fact that it's an online-only game with horrible online play. Everything else is really bad too though, to the point where if they added amazing singleplayer and added amazing netcode overnight, it would still be a pretty bad game, no longer a worst-ever candidate but still sub-par.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
2 pages ago but um,I can't really agree that damage is really one of sf5's issues, and it has a decent chunk to choose from.

Combos sure.

Damage?
Some characters have trouble, like rashid even with full resources needs to rely on resets for damage, but otherwise nah

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Everyone should play Overwatch now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zand posted:

download ragnarok battle offline

Im hooting and hollering incoherently

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

teagone posted:

I am! And I'm really really really good at it. Like I may become eat sports famouz. If so I promise to forget my SA roots and never talk to any of you.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

teagone posted:

I abandoned sf5 the day i bought guilty gear rev, uncharted 4 and overwatch.

Now games are fun.

look at that.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvz7W1dMSjQ

brings me back

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the fact that RBO was never hacked to have netplay and also that levels are a bit too important before you actually get the cool builds are the greatest gaming travesties. i say this in all earnestness, in the SFV thread.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Baal posted:

I like DMC4
i gotchu bro

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fereydun posted:

i gotchu bro

This should've been Dante's alt in MVC3 and not Sparda alt, waaahhhh

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Never. I may play quake, but if I wanted a team based FPS, I'll load up TF2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Agree on all points.