Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cease to Hope posted:

Usable but still worse. The help pings and weight classes aren't as useful as knowing which way enemies and teammates are facing was.

Awww poo poo I was wondering why their new little icons sat badly with me. Facing is a huge part of the game and they've basically removed it as a tactical consideration, since by the time you've looked you are probably committed.

E: they could fix it by having switchable modes, so you can have tactical or battlefield view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
this loving patch. good grief

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sebmojo posted:

Awww poo poo I was wondering why their new little icons sat badly with me. Facing is a huge part of the game and they've basically removed it as a tactical consideration, since by the time you've looked you are probably committed.

E: they could fix it by having switchable modes, so you can have tactical or battlefield view.

Doritos will be reinstated by carrying a computer or command console.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Warhams are fun.
Hot as loving hell, but fun.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
We obviously wouldn't have won if it hadn't been for the Steiner scout lance (Charlie lance) :smuggo:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Ugh, you dropped with one of the chief NGNG dickholes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cease to Hope posted:

Ugh, you dropped with one of the chief NGNG dickholes.

Is he just Bombadil or is he xXBombadilXx?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

They ruined frozen city

I'm not playing

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

They ruined frozen city

I'm not playing

Polar City. Or Frozen lovely.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah IDK y'all I think I'll check back in on this game in a few months

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What did they do to frozen city?

Also which light is best now? Or should I just keep not playing?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Imagine alpine peaks with the old frozen city stapled on to the side to taunt you. Then move the bases so you never fight in old frozen city. Its like a fan fiction character was a map: visually reminiscent of something good but with absolutely no concept of what made the original enjoyable.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What the gently caress that was my favorite map

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Came back, generous people donated for me to join GIRL, ran a bunch of games with them and WoL. Something happened during group creation for 4-mans that caused me to be dropped from GIRL, and the GMs won't do poo poo. Oh well, gently caress this stupid game, I guess.

E: after a long back and forth I managed to escalate it. If I can get a re-invite to GIRL I've been reimbursed my invite fee, I'll throw it in.

KaoliniteMilkshake fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 23, 2016

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Wait a few days, and file a bug report / ticket and hope it ends up with another gm.
Patience is the worst. Others actually are helpful, most of the time.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

various cheeses posted:

Frozen City is terrible now. I'm not sure why we can't have a city map where the fighting actually happens in the city, but River, Crimson, and now this show that PGI is committed to the sniper meta lasting forever.

The best light is the Locust (not a sentence I ever thought I would type). It's tiiiiiiiiiiiiny, seriously it's half the size of the Spider but it retained its massive structure quirks and it still has great offensive quirks.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
ACH's are still a decent 'sneaky knife 6 SPL's in the back' mech too. Oxide's are way easier to spot and hit now so they're not as scary as they used to be. Wolfpacks of lights are still crazy deadly.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

New Frozen City is still poo poo. Alpine is still poo poo. Getting Urbanmech kills and taunting the pubs about your OP urbanmech is still awesome.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Frozen City is terrible now. I'm not sure why we can't have a city map where the fighting actually happens in the city, but River, Crimson, and now this show that PGI is committed to the sniper meta lasting forever.

The best light is the Locust (not a sentence I ever thought I would type). It's tiiiiiiiiiiiiny, seriously it's half the size of the Spider but it retained its massive structure quirks and it still has great offensive quirks.

I think none of them has ever seen an actual city.

We either have a bunch of houses that wont hide an assault in the middle surrounded by open fields, or 2 small villages facing off over open field.
Maybe someone should introduce them to google street view or something.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
So uh, getting back into this. Somehow lost several mechs I bought for CBills way way back.

Is there any "best" starter? I still have the one Centurion, but nothing else.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

what do you like playing, and how many c-bills do you have to work with?

Personally, I enjoy mediums and atlases. There's lots of good mediums, depending on whether you have a preference for lasers, missiles, cannons, etc.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Just around 7mil. I've been enjoying lights and mediums the most, just like back when I used to play, though I've given some thought to sniper stuff too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I'd been thinking of reinstalling this lately and dropped by the thread to see what was going on and fuckin lol cya

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NightfallGemini posted:

Just around 7mil. I've been enjoying lights and mediums the most, just like back when I used to play, though I've given some thought to sniper stuff too.

I know people are going to jump on me for suggesting a clan robbit, but the Stormcrow is a great starter mech. It's not the best at any given thing, gets outbrawled by Griffins, outsniped by Cicadas, etc, but it does every single role in the game with the right omnipods, and it does all those roles maybe not the best, but better than most mechs. It can snipe, it can brawl, it does pretty much whatever you want. It's fast, agile, has forgiving hitboxes, and it's got a poo poo ton of room for guns.

So either use the trials to find out what you really like doing, or buy a Stormcrow and gently caress around with it until you figure it out.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I dont think 7 mils gonna buy a stormcrow, i think theyre around 11.

e: what about blackjacks? How much are shadowcats?

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 24, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

aniviron posted:

Stormcrow business

Lowest cost for SCR is 10 million me thinks. They're good mechs, don't get me wrong. But I don't think they're newbie friendly.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I dont think 7 mils gonna buy a stormcrow, i think theyre around 11.

e: what about blackjacks? How much are shadowcats?

Blackjacks are pretty newbie friendly, I'd recommend the hell outta the Hunchbacks, particularly the 4P or SP.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If you're just coming back, do the academy, that will net you 6 mil. Also, you'll get another ~12 mil from your first 25 games depending on how long since you played.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Stringbean posted:

Lowest cost for SCR is 10 million me thinks. They're good mechs, don't get me wrong. But I don't think they're newbie friendly.

Blackjacks are pretty newbie friendly, I'd recommend the hell outta the Hunchbacks, particularly the 4P or SP.

Blackjacks use stupid snowflake engines that will push the cost of them up to around 8.5-9m after DHS and endo. The only reason theyre even slightly cheaper than the stormcrow is because theyre lighter.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wafflecopper posted:

I'd been thinking of reinstalling this lately and dropped by the thread to see what was going on and fuckin lol cya

It's been moonbeams and unicorn giggles for months, this feels like coming home.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Stringbean posted:

I think Clan Omni's are more newbie friendly than most because you can't do as much customization as you can other mechs. Yeah they cost a bit more but the price evens out quite a bit between them and IS mechs once you resize their engine.

Good mechs to look into when starting out:
For lights, the Artic Cheetah is still great. Tons of firepower on a small frame that can pack ECM. Jenner IIC's are also good for boating tons of damage you just have to be a bit extra sneaky (and they don't match the Oxide, which is an IS Jenner Hero Variant.) Locusts are comedy tiny mech options at the moment but they've got some neat things they can do. I wouldn't recommend a locust as your first mech though. Spider's have jump jets so they can get to annoying places.

Mediums: Stormcrows are solid, Hunchbacks (Not IIC) are solid, Crabs are pretty decent. Shadow Cats make excellent 'annoying sniper' mechs and Nova's can boat a ridiculous amount of firepower. The Blackjack is decent if you like ballistics though as mentioned above they have some weird engine tweaking that needs to be done to really bring out their shine.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 24, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cicada 2b with 5mpl is a perennially underrated robot but it needs an xl ... 295? 300? to make it work so maybe not ideal for starting. Working up to a 295xl is vital if you like light play though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Posted without comment.

Unfucked the tables for you nerds with tiny monitors.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 25, 2016

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

veedubfreak posted:

Posted without comment.

Unfucked the tables for you nerds with tiny monitors.

Bragging about such a low team damage score?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

armchairyoda posted:

Bragging about such a low team damage score?

A shameful goon.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

If you're just coming back, do the academy, that will net you 6 mil. Also, you'll get another ~12 mil from your first 25 games depending on how long since you played.

I didn't get the 12mil boost, but I did get the 6mil. I wound up settling on a Marauder MAD-3R for laser vomit or PPC sniping, figured it had the best of both sniper and mid/brawler roles.

I probably hosed up. :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Marauders are pretty good I think.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, hard to go wrong with them. No missile variant, but they're a very solid mech, durable and with a pretty decent shape and number of hardpoints. Unlikely to be obsolete any time soon. If you're having fun, you did it right.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

NightfallGemini posted:

I didn't get the 12mil boost, but I did get the 6mil. I wound up settling on a Marauder MAD-3R for laser vomit or PPC sniping, figured it had the best of both sniper and mid/brawler roles.

I probably hosed up. :v:

Nah man, Marauders are pretty drat good. You can have a shield arm on the 3R, which wont really help your side torso but it can mitigate a little damage. Go with double UAC5s or slap on 3 AC5s.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Stringbean posted:

Nah man, Marauders are pretty drat good. You can have a shield arm on the 3R, which wont really help your side torso but it can mitigate a little damage. Go with double UAC5s or slap on 3 AC5s.

Pff, 4 PPC Marauder or bust :getin:

It's a really versatile chassis, I think the problem is that once you have a 3R you can do 95% of what every other variant can do, aside from some missile shenanigans with the -5D. Which makes it pretty depressing to elite, especially since you end up either buying a Hero or buying two XL 300 engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Been having a good time with a locust 1v 4 MG and a large laser. It's like piloting a tiny angry bee.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 25, 2016

• Locked thread