Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

Rotting dont seems to stop it either, since they have clean undead skeletons

Well it stopped the hand, that's why his audience in King's Landing was a bust, he was demanding thousands of soldiers and supplies because an army of zombies was coming and all he had for proof at that point was a rotten hand that didn't move. Also burning them does keep them down, which it shouldn't do if all they need is the bones. The skeletons also came much later because D&D thought it'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CytotoxicTrev posted:

There's an adage that goes "there's a thin line between bravery and stupidity,"

Surprisingly apt: "Stupid risks are just that: stupid."

Sadly Show Ramsay has never had a moment for him to have such an epiphany.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah but until the last ten minutes of this episode he never really needed to have one. If he did have an epiphany on the show it'd be something like don't fix what ain't broke.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Yeah what happened with the cannibal wildlings? Now they're all just Scots I guess? Like.. what are these wildlings eating?

They were wiped out at Hardhome.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Subvisual Haze posted:

That's what I was wondering this episode. Both sides hated each other and potentially had a lot to gain by trying to kill the leader of the other. Both Ramsay and Jons armies would probably melt away without their leader, and nobody seems to give a poo poo anymore about lords murdering their way into power.

While it has happened in the past, violating parley is a huge deal. It would essentially mean no future diplomatic negotiations with anyone in the future, as you'd have no credibility or trustworthiness. Ramsay had gotten away with "make a deal for surrender, then kill them" like half a dozen times, so I will admit that there's precedent.

Also, since the parley scenes they've shown have all been in open areas, it indicates that absolute chaos would occur if parley was breached - they would be initiating an attack on the enemy without a prepared force, leaving themselves very vulnerable.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New Preston Q&A is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pzfeDWOVLA

If you like the Starks, you're a nationalist and are bias against the white walkers, who are people too.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 23, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baka-nin posted:

If you like the Starks, you're a nationalist and are bias against the white walkers, who are people too.

His answer about why the Starks are the protagonists was pretty spot on, and then he goes full Preston.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Apparently in the books, Varys kills both Kevan and Pycelle--what's his reason for doing so, and is it likely that's why he's returning to KL in the show?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Oliver Reed posted:

Apparently in the books, Varys kills both Kevan and Pycelle--what's his reason for doing so, and is it likely that's why he's returning to KL in the show?

He's ensuring KL is in absolute chaos for Aegon's invasion

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oliver Reed posted:

Varys is going to Dorne

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Kevan proves too effective at damage control, so Varys gets rid of him to keep the Cersei trainwreck going.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

WampaLord posted:

His answer about why the Starks are the protagonists was pretty spot on, and then he goes full Preston.

quote:

"George R R Martin has quite cleverly presented Jon Snow as the protagonist so that we think that the White Walkers are the antagonists."

It's just not a PJ video unless he has a moment that makes you go "Uhm..."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

While it has happened in the past, violating parley is a huge deal. It would essentially mean no future diplomatic negotiations with anyone in the future, as you'd have no credibility or trustworthiness. Ramsay had gotten away with "make a deal for surrender, then kill them" like half a dozen times, so I will admit that there's precedent.

Also, since the parley scenes they've shown have all been in open areas, it indicates that absolute chaos would occur if parley was breached - they would be initiating an attack on the enemy without a prepared force, leaving themselves very vulnerable.

Ramsay kinslayed too, which is supposed to be up there with parley and guest right. Everyone knows it and no one cares.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't they just parley outside the range of the archers?

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't they just parley outside the range of the archers?

Yeah, generally you parley outside of archer range and on horses in the open. That way you can easily get away in case the other side decides to try to kill you.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

IT BEGINS posted:

Yeah, generally you parley outside of archer range and on horses in the open. That way you can easily get away in case the other side decides to try to kill you.

Plus they have basically even numbers, so if it escalates into a fight, neither side has an advantage.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Snatch Duster posted:

Varys is going to Dorne

Why would Varys be going to Dorne anywhere before he knew if Daenerys was alive, safe, or would even be returning? Or should I not bother asking because showlogic.txt

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

the trump tutelage posted:

Why would Varys be going to Dorne anywhere before he knew if Daenerys was alive, safe, or would even be returning? Or should I not bother asking because showlogic.txt

Well, it's not like we haven't seen a Little Bird in Vaes Dothrak before.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What are the spoilers for the last episode

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

This, he reasoned that Cersei is a chronic gently caress up, while Kevan isn't.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

Also Dany has done it basically every time she's parleyed with the Masters. No one would've given Ramsay trouble for just shanking Jon on the spot, according to precedent.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

Again, I'm ignorant of the books so I must ask: is Aegon actually confirmed to be the real Aegon, or is there just evidence that points that way?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oliver Reed posted:

Again, I'm ignorant of the books so I must ask: is Aegon actually confirmed to be the real Aegon, or is there just evidence that points that way?

No, real aegon very obviously is dead. They're presenting a blackfyre targaryen off as a true targarayen. That's why the golden company, made up of blackfyres who repeatedly went to war against real targarayens, quit their contract for the first time in history to help him take westeros. That's why there was the allegory of the black iron dragon, chopped up, tossed into the river, showing up ashore rusted red (a skin deep resemblance to the true targaraens)
This isn't confirmed either it's just all the evidence points to him being extremely fake. And if you like prophecy then "the mummer's dragon" would be varys's little aegon project.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Oliver Reed posted:

Nothing's really confirmed. Aegon being fake is a very popular theory with good support.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Oliver Reed posted:

He is presented as the real Aegon having been smuggled out of King's Landing and replaced by a lookalike. However there's strong textual evidence on him being a fake from a Targaryen cadet branch called house Blackfyre. I'd say it's very likely he's an impostor. I don't think anyone in the story has doubted his identity yet.

House Blackfyre don't show up that much but they feature heavily in the prequel series and their backstory ties into everything -- the Three-Eyed Crow, Aemon at the Wall, the Golden Company, Barristan Selmy.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 24, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kajeesus posted:

Also Dany has done it basically every time she's parleyed with the Masters. No one would've given Ramsay trouble for just shanking Jon on the spot, according to precedent.

I'm surprised Jon didn't seize the opportunity actually. Him and the karstark guy share blood and just had a conversation the day before. The Umber's dad was all about the king in the north, if Jon would've been like "gently caress that we're doing this" he could've forces the two northern lords to turn on Ramsay or have to fight the last two remaining Starks.

It would've been a great "the north really does remember" moment, but then we would've been robbed of a huge battle.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I like this part but it doesn't show up very often in the writeups:

quote:

Death had robbed him of his ears, his nose, and all his warmth. The smile remained, transformed into a glittering golden grin. All the skulls were grinning, even Bittersteel's on the tall pike in the center. What does he have to grin about? He died defeated and alone, a broken man in an alien land. On his deathbed, Ser Aegor Rivers had famously commanded his men to boil the flesh from his skull, dip it in gold, and carry it before them when they crossed the sea to retake Westeros. His successors had followed his example.

Help my name is Con and I am getting conned.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

Nothing's really confirmed. Aegon being fake is a very popular theory with good support.

Him not being on the show more or less confirms he's fake. It'd be pretty hard to cut out a real Targaryen from the story.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
No one on the show gives a gently caress about Kinslaying and Guest Right anymore so why the gently caress should they care about parlay?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Other than Jaime vs. Blackfish and Jon vs. Ramsay I'm pretty sure every parlay was violated in the show. Attacking emissaries is pretty much Dany's favorite pastime and Stannis violated the terms of the ceasefire after parlaying with Renly when he sent an assassin to his camp.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 24, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Other than Jaime vs. Blackfish and Jon vs. Ramsay I'm pretty sure every parlay was violated in the show. Attacking emmiseries is pretty much Dany's favorite pastime and Stannis violated the terms of the ceasefire after parlaying with Renly when he sent an assassin to his camp.

And Jon was going to assassinate Mance.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Stannis violated the terms of the ceasefire after parlaying with Renly when he sent an assassin to his camp.

Does that really count? Stannis pretty explicitly said in the parlay that Renly would get bumped off in the night if he didn't join team Stannis.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He actually specifically gave Renly up until sunrise to lay down his arms and then sent the magic assassin to Renly's before the ultimatum was through. Which is kinda exactly what Dany did at Yunkai.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why was Catelyn even at the Stannis Renly parley, anyway? I don't remember that part of the show or the novelized adaptation.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Other than Jaime vs. Blackfish and Jon vs. Ramsay I'm pretty sure every parlay was violated in the show. Attacking emissaries is pretty much Dany's favorite pastime and Stannis violated the terms of the ceasefire after parlaying with Renly when he sent an assassin to his camp.
You're forgetting that Dany did not attack the Yunkai emissaries in Season 3.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why was Catelyn even at the Stannis Renly parley, anyway? I don't remember that part of the show or the novelized adaptation.

Renly brings her cause he's cocky or some poo poo.

meristem posted:

You're forgetting that Dany did not attack the Yunkai emissaries in Season 3.

In the book the dragons breath fire at him and burn the fringes of his tokar, regardless, Dany violates the terms of the truth and attacks the Yunkish camp at the night following the parlay.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He actually specifically gave Renly up until sunrise to lay down his arms and then sent the magic assassin to Renly's before the ultimatum was through. Which is kinda exactly what Dany did at Yunkai.

Oh yeah ok.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

She was trying to secure an alliance for Robb, and the Baratheon bros both said they had no interest in an independent North. Renly brought her to the parlay because he thought she'd be impressed to watch him clown on his brother.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
drat. Maybe it's just the shock of #brexit upon my gentle soul right now, but I feel like Stannis killing Renley with the shadow baby is one of the more hosed up things anyone has done on this show.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

In the book the dragons breath fire at him and burn the fringes of his tokar, regardless, Dany violates the terms of the truth and attacks the Yunkish camp at the night following the parlay.
Previously you talked about the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

an skeleton posted:

drat. Maybe it's just the shock of #brexit upon my gentle soul right now, but I feel like Stannis killing Renley with the shadow baby is one of the more hosed up things anyone has done on this show.

I think it was worse when the Mountain smashed Oberyn's head in. Or when he was having all the peasants tortured to death by putting a bucket of rats against their chest and then lighting a fire to make the rats burrow into their bodies.

Or when Ramsay pretended he was helping Theon escape, only to lead him in a circle right back to his cell. Or when he sent in two naked girls to get Theon aroused and then cut off his cock, and then happily waved around his breakfast sausages the next day.

Or when Tyrion sent those two whores to Joffrey, only to have him force one to torture the other, then used one of them as target practice for his new crossbow.

Or when the slavers crucified like 50 slaves and left their hands pointing Dany toward their city, and then Dany got back at them by crucifying a whole bunch more people when she got there.

Or...

• Locked thread