Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mukip posted:

How likely is it that the EU will now become more "cohesive"? There were people saying that brexit would be good because now the euro federalism can deepen, and those pointing out that anti-EU sentiment has grown everywhere. Donald Tusk seems to be in the latter category of viewing further integration as unlikely. Personally, I don't think it was Britain holding the EU back, or at least it isn't now.

It won't 'deepen', as you rightly point out most people don't want it to, but you'll no longer have the English poisoning the well. They'll have to follow 75% of EU regulations by default while no longer having the chance to veto or ask for special snowflake clauses. It's good for the EU in the long term.

Actually, I'm starting to think it was a bad idea to expand beyond the first six in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Wili posted:

This results are non-binding right?

Wouldn't it be possible for whoever is PM after Cameron resigns to take this results to the EU and use them to negotiate whatever liberal snowflake agreements they want and then come back and assuage British Nationalism with that, and stay in. How likely is that scenario. Would the brits accept that?

Who cares about whether the Brits would accept that, the real question is whether the other 27 countries would accept that. Hopefully not; because then everyone would just constantly throw their temper tantrums to get their way. UK says it goes out, it goes out.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I seriously doubt any more than a slight fraction of the Leavers in the UK really gave a flying gently caress about what happened with Greece.

Not caring about what happened with Greece as in caring about the Greeks, which you're right that nobody does, but caring about what happened with Greece as an illustration of how the EU is evil and incompetent. The point isn't to sympathize and commiserate with the Greeks, but to point at them and say "look at those suckers, this better not be us next time".

Phlegmish posted:

Actually, I'm starting to think it was a bad idea to expand beyond the first six in general.

Yep.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Hi everyone, what's the best city to move in the EU now that the UK pressed self-destruct? Preferrably I want one with good wages, high demand for web developers, good standard of living, and one where it's possible to survive in speaking English, and having a EU passport. Also they need to be smart enough that they won't do the same poo poo as the UK. Berlin? Copenhagen?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Hi everyone, what's the best city to move in the EU now that the UK pressed self-destruct? Preferrably I want one with good wages, high demand for web developers, good standard of living, and one where it's possible to survive in speaking English, and having a EU passport. Also they need to be smart enough that they won't do the same poo poo as the UK. Berlin? Copenhagen?

Stockholm.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pochoclo posted:

These are all mutually exclusive

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

MiddleOne posted:

Stockholm.

Be wary of the roving musulman gangs tho if you go there. Also the housing market is really hosed up.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Pochoclo posted:

Contact me for job opportunities for software engineers in Düsseldorf, Germany. No German language skills required.

Gotta make the most out of this mess.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

doverhog posted:

Also the housing market is really hosed up.

Coming from the UK I'm sure he's not a stranger to hosed up housing markets, he'll feel right at home.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Not caring about what happened with Greece as in caring about the Greeks, which you're right that nobody does, but caring about what happened with Greece as an illustration of how the EU is evil and incompetent. The point isn't to sympathize and commiserate with the Greeks, but to point at them and say "look at those suckers, this better not be us next time".

But did any one of the Leave campaigners use that as an argument? AFAICT most of what they talked about was how scary foreigners were coming to take over and how Brussels was stifling British ingenuity and competitiveness with its horrible regulations. Maybe the Greece argument was accepted by some of the poor deluded Lexitters but these weren't very numerous, were they?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Pochoclo posted:

and having a EU passport.

Unless you're Irish, not for much longer

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

Be wary of the roving musulman gangs tho if you go there. Also the housing market is really hosed up.

If the guy's been living in Britain he should already be familiar with both imaginary threats and a hosed housing market, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
oh my god, i was wrong, it was ukip, all along

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Contemplating moving to Finland or Luxembourg since my girlfriend has family there. Web developer, looking for jobs. Know some French and willing to learn/brush up on it quickly

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WMain00 posted:

Contemplating moving to Finland or Luxembourg since my girlfriend has family there. Web developer, looking for jobs. Know some French and willing to learn/brush up on it quickly

Luxembourg would make more sense than Finland then.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

WMain00 posted:

I'm sorry but we cannot allow more refugees in, spreading their dangerous ideology.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Luxembourg would make more sense than Finland then.

Yeah I'm kind of thinking that. Finland seems a bit of a stretch, although it is her home country. She would have a flat there immediately to move into though that belongs to her family.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

God drat. Goodbye Britain, hopefully you sort yourself out.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

God drat. Goodbye Britain, hopefully you sort yourself out.

Hopefully the EU sorts itself out.

One can dream.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

WMain00 posted:

Yeah I'm kind of thinking that. Finland seems a bit of a stretch, although it is her home country. She would have a flat there immediately to move into though that belongs to her family.

Especially in IT, you can do with only english in Finland.

Bigger problem is the long time recession we are in. It looked like there might be light at the end of that tunnel finally but with brexit, it might turn out that the tunnel's just on fire. So check out the job prospects before coming in.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

By all accounts Luxembourg is grimy and poorly organized. Finland is a Nordic country. Then again it has snow, darkness, and is full of Finns. A crazy idea maybe but ask her?

Also get a job there first before moving. ^also what he said

doverhog fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 24, 2016

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

doverhog posted:

In the grand scheme of things, the EU really should kick out or let leave the states that don't actually want to be in it. Want as in are willing to follow the rules and pay the costs. So, good riddance.

If that means the union becomes smaller and weaker, so be it.

Yes, lets kick out all countries that don't take in refugees (whole eastern europe) and those who can't meet the financial obligations (whole southern europe) so we can finally have a likeminded and economically stable western/northern EU!

This is a Union I could support.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

She's pretty open to both, with going to Finland the better option she feels because she has lots of relatives there and it might be easier to set up. I'm kind of on the fence about that and feel going to Luxembourg would be better because it's in the middle of Europe, but saying that the digital scene seems to be much better in Finland and although English isn't the first language it seems to be easier to find groups over there who speak it. Also lots of IT Scots head to Finland it seems.

We both thought that this wouldn't happen honestly. She always thought she could live and find a job here, but given circumstances now...

That and I don't want to be British anymore
I want no part of this country.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

LochNessMonster posted:

Yes, lets kick out all countries that don't take in refugees (whole eastern europe) and those who can't meet the financial obligations (whole southern europe) so we can finally have a likeminded and economically stable western/northern EU!

This is a Union I could support.

Welcome to 1942. The great union of Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Belgium, the good parts of France and Finland is alive

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

WMain00 posted:

She's pretty open to both, with going to Finland the better option she feels because she has lots of relatives there and it might be easier to set up. I'm kind of on the fence about that and feel going to Luxembourg would be better because it's in the middle of Europe, but saying that the digital scene seems to be much better in Finland and although English isn't the first language it seems to be easier to find groups over there who speak it. Also lots of IT Scots head to Finland it seems.

We both thought that this wouldn't happen honestly. She always thought she could live and find a job here, but given circumstances now...

It's the same everywhere, insane racists crawling out of the woodworks.

In Finland you can manage perfectly with english, everyone speaks it. If you can get a job it's allright. If you're from UK [and white] everyone loves you.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Congratz to France, who is now the 4th largest economy.

https://twitter.com/LondonEconomic/status/746247581748068352

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You inbred hicks, everyone is having the biggest stock market crash since 2008. London stock exchange is burning, DAX lost 10% of its value, some British banks are down by 1/3. You inbred hicks.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody should probably start a job seeking thread for goons fleeing the UK. As for Finland, the economy here is hosed, like prolapsing on the floor spewing liquid poo poo and blood on everybody hosed, and will continue to be so for years ahead. You will be extermely disappointed.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

WMain00 posted:

Finland is OK as long as you're willing to cope with all the Finns and a government that's possibly as dumb as that of the U.K.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

Congratz to France, who is now the 4th largest economy.

https://twitter.com/LondonEconomic/status/746247581748068352

The UK had just barely overtaken France when they started including the shadow economy in their GDP, so...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gest-world.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/prostitution-and-illegal-drugs-help-uk-overtake-france-in-global-wealth-league-9945007.html

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Fleeing Uk people should all come to the Netherlands. We have the same poo poo weather and poo poo food as the UK has, so you should feel right at home!

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Finland is OK as long as you're willing to cope with all the Finns and a government that's possibly as dumb as that of the U.K.

"Possibly as dumb?"

That's mild.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

LMAO Verhofstadt is currently holding a press conf saying that the answer to this is increased confederation of Europe.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Friendly Humour posted:

Somebody should probably start a job seeking thread for goons fleeing the UK. As for Finland, the economy here is hosed, like prolapsing on the floor spewing liquid poo poo and blood on everybody hosed, and will continue to be so for years ahead. You will be extermely disappointed.

That's why you look for a job before moving. If you find one, great. Slow growth doesn't mean there aren't still people working and poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO Verhofstadt is currently holding a press conf saying that the answer to this is increased confederation of Europe.

he's right.

USE! USE!

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Spain is already staking its claims on Gibraltar, calling for co-sovereignty of the enclace.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Charlie Mopps posted:

Spain is already staking its claims on Gibraltar, calling for co-sovereignty of the enclace.

UK sees this as a casus belli, declares emergency, doesn't leave the EU

actually it would be funny if the government tries to use even more convoluted excuses to not exit the EU (UK saw a bunch of ants, didn't leave the UK)

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/iBristolPeople/status/746258402578411520

:lol:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It was just a prank bro!

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Fascism is the ultimate bant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft