Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bring back old gbs posted:

Season 2 of The Leftovers is a mild reboot of the concept with the same characters, pretty much universally perceived as heads and shoulders above season 1 as far as pacing and mystery goes. Everything they change is for the better.

Looking forward to that very soon because I just finished season 1. Holy poo poo, the season finale's reveal of why the GR stole the pictures earlier in the season is just pure evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The latest season of Orange is the New Black is super intense. Holy poo poo.

I'm really glad I went back to see s2 and s3 again before watching the new season, because I forgot a loooot of stuff.

Beercan still best character.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

bring back old gbs posted:

Season 2 of The Leftovers is a mild reboot of the concept with the same characters, pretty much universally perceived as heads and shoulders above season 1 as far as pacing and mystery goes. Everything they change is for the better.

I hated season 1 but on a rewatch came 100% around to it. In a way I was like the GR, going 'millions of people just went up in smoke, why the gently caress are you not focusing on that but wasting time on mundane poo poo !!!' and getting angry.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

coyo7e posted:

The latest season of Orange is the New Black is super intense. Holy poo poo.

I'm really glad I went back to see s2 and s3 again before watching the new season, because I forgot a loooot of stuff.

Beercan still best character.

I quit after season 2. How is piper still in jail

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mu Zeta posted:

I quit after season 2. How is piper still in jail

She got trapped trapped trapped till the cage was full

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't know how they can make a season 5 because they've literally used every line in the song, in the show. Even how hard it is to stand still on a table!

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just finished the last season of OITNB, too. Bit annoying how Piper gets dumber and less likeable every season. However, some other characters step up. Overall, still a pretty good show.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I just burned through all of Ray Donovan. Holy poo poo Liev Schreiber was a great casting choice. drat good show. Just started watching Justified as well, I loved Timothy Olyphant in Deadwood and he's pretty killer (heh) in this too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Piper has always been the worst part of OITNB. I don't know why it is that so many shows have to have a terrible main character but fantastic other characters. I'm going to call it the Ted Mosby effect.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Just started Newsradio and it's good. Phil Hartman was amazing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

Piper has always been the worst part of OITNB. I don't know why it is that so many shows have to have a terrible main character but fantastic other characters. I'm going to call it the Ted Mosby effect.
Fortunately after the window scene, she's no longer a main character.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Just started watching S1 of The Americans. Why didn't I start this sooner this show is fantastic.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good news is, it only gets better.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

On a whim I started watching HBOs Hung. Does it get good at some point or was it cancelled for a reason?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gets good when Lennie James and Stephen Amell show up

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

karrethuun posted:

Just started watching S1 of The Americans. Why didn't I start this sooner this show is fantastic.

It was one of those shows that flew under my radar when it came out, but is so worth checking out and I was kicking myself when I finally did. Like Rocksicles said, it only gets better. Seriously. It gets bonus points for being a show that doesn't have insufferable teenage characters in it. They actually serve the plot and provide a lot of pathos. I hope you keep going with it!

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
The teenage characters aren't insufferable, but they're, wisely, just setpieces. One of them is doing homework in near every single scene.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I feel like the whole show pivots around Paige

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Season 1 of Orphan Black. I didn't look at this series before since the subject matter seemed like total lame B-movie crap. The glowing reviews on Metacritic intrigued me enough to me to take a look though.

What do you know, it is a good show that takes a lame premise, but builds on it very competently, so the result is fast paced and actually very thrilling. The lead actress is fantastic.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just watched S1 of Mr. Robot. Really enjoyed it, I'll definitely be checking out S2. Also watching Ash vs. Evil Dead now, it's just as good as Evil Dead and Army of Darkness, if not better.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

Mr E posted:

I just watched S1 of Mr. Robot. Really enjoyed it, I'll definitely be checking out S2. Also watching Ash vs. Evil Dead now, it's just as good as Evil Dead and Army of Darkness, if not better.

Ash vs. Evil Dead was an awesome, welcome surprise and I can't wait for season 2.

Just started binging The Americans and like everyone else who is just picking it up, I am left wondering why I didn't start watching it sooner.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Ash vs. Evil Dead was an awesome, welcome surprise and I can't wait for season 2.

Just started binging The Americans and like everyone else who is just picking it up, I am left wondering why I didn't start watching it sooner.

My roommate and I went ahead and finished the whole season of Ash vs. Evil Dead, can't wait for Season 2 either! I enjoyed that Ash didn't really grow too much as a character, because he really shouldn't.

I think The Americans or Black Sails is probably next on our list now.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The biggest travesty with tv awards is that The Americans doesn't win Best Actor and Best Actress every year.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Almost caught up with The Leftovers. Jesus, the hotel episode is absolutely bonkers. :stare:

Great to see Steven Williams in a really interesting role, I haven't seen him since X-Files.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

qbert posted:

The biggest travesty with tv awards is that The Americans doesn't win Best Actor and Best Actress every year.

It should win Best Wigs every year

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Voltron: Legendary Defenders was good. Excited for season 2.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Well I just finished Season 3 of Vikings, and it's great. Now I learn that Season 4 isn't free on Prime yet. How long does it usually take for a season of TV to become free with Prime?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Uni holidays so have been night-binging True Detective season 1 again.

Observations:
-in their brawl they break Rust's truck's taillight. Later in the episode we jump forward ten years and its still broken.
-the 'sniper' in the last episode Rust uses to freak out the sheriff is his bar boss. it reminded me of the 'snipers' in the last episode of Breaking Bad.
-Carsorsa is the actual maze area where the final showdown happens. Also, the vortex Rust sees is the spiral mark that keeps popping up. He isn't the only one to see the spiral ooOOo.
-I just love how the series danced against the line of supernatural/spooky stuff. It never quite crossed it as everything could be explained through hallucinations etc. But like Blair Witch Project, it was spookier for it.
-Rust notices Marty checking out another girl on the dance floor. There is this great sweeping shot where it shows all the characters dancing in their own little worlds. Rust glances up and to the left and when we sweep around, that's where the girl was dancing against Marty's eye line. Its subtle and only gets brought up way later.
-Woody does some fantastic acting as well! Any scene when he gets super mad/sad. Just watching those transformations is scary.
-They pull the fingers at each other in the hospital. Bros giving each other poo poo till the end. Makes me realize how sentimental of a guy I am in comparison. I would have gone for the hug for much less.
-I found it difficult to pay attention to every line and you really have to with this type of show. Massive plot reveals are mumbled out at the end of scenes etc. This show really benefits from the 'non linear' viewing style of jumping back to listen again and skipping around a bit.
-I love this show so very much. I may have to start watching it yearly like Band of Brothers.
-Blair Witch Project, X-files, Twin Peaks. umm.. that's about it for shows like this I can think of. If anybody has any others that fit the whole 'dark weird america' model plz let me know. Scary, solemn, gothic. Little wooden trinkets appreciated but optional.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 30, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Senerio posted:

Voltron: Legendary Defenders was good. Excited for season 2.

Do they ever play the Voltron theme song? I was so bummed they didn't use the theme in the trailer. That's iconic!

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Lampsacus posted:

-Blair Witch Project, X-files, Twin Peaks. umm.. that's about it for shows like this I can think of. If anybody has any others that fit the whole 'dark weird america' model plz let me know. Scary, solemn, gothic. Little wooden trinkets appreciated but optional.
Ever watched Carnivale?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm on Ep 6 of Peaky Blinders and it's poo poo. Like a really poor wannabe Boardwalk Empire.

I've tried watching this 3 times, because all of my friends love it. It's a really lovely show, the main characters brothers are all terrible one-note characters, the mom is a Peggy Bundy from SOA knockoff, the only good part is the Jurassic Park constable

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
like, the angry older brother with the mustache in Peaky Blinders, all he does is loudly yell PEAKAY BLINDUHS every few scenes, that's his entire character. Sometimes he'll punch someone after yelling it

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Some shows I've finished recently:

The Wire: As good as advertised, can't really add much more to what's been said.

Malcolm In the Middle: I thought this show was hilarious. Good, light comedy to mix in if you're watching a really heavy series at the same time. It's early 2000's as gently caress, which works for me because I'm about the same age as the main character. Like most sitcoms, it takes a lot of the first season to really settle in, but it's pretty consistent after that. I think seasons 2-4 were probably the best since the ages of the kids lined up best for sitcom purposes, but the episode quality was surprisingly strong all the way to the logical end point. Jane Kaczmarek is really the anchor of the show as the mom and Bryan Cranston cheeses it up to the max as the dad. I like the direction they went with Frankie Muniz as Malcolm being just as much of an rear end in a top hat as his two older brothers as he gets older. His character of being the smartest kid in world works so much better as an anti-social douche. Each episode does a pretty good job dividing up screen time between all the characters and mixing and matching the pairings so no one gets too over-exposed, and minimizes the damage if there's a weak subplot.

The Mentalist: The first 3 seasons of this show are definitely worth a watch if you like "crime of the week" procedurals. Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) is a great character as a self-serving, unstable sociopath with a knack for solving puzzles and manipulating people. Throw him into a cast of cliche cop show characters and let the fun commence as they all follow his ridiculous plans to catch bad guys because why not. While the overarching theme of him hunting a serial killer that killed his wife and kid is rather dark, a lot of the episodes are pretty light (as far as murder mysteries go) and have a lot of self-aware comedic elements. The second half of season 3 gets pretty intense, and the finale is legit great. Just watch to that point and pretend that's the end of the series. If you continue past that, you'll regret it about 20 minutes into season 4, and it never gets better. There's still some good weekly filler sprinkled in, but the main story goes straight off a cliff and explodes spectacularly a few episodes into season 6 with a completely nonsensical god-awful conclusion. The show inexplicably continues for another season and a half, nigh on unrecognizable. I will say that in the finale I didn't mind Jane and Lisbon getting married since they actually did a good job building up how much they cared about one another throughout the long series. Plus the way they blow off the criminal story for that episode is hilarious and reminiscent of the early years. That said, the scene where he confesses his love to her on an airplane is loving terrible and the lowest point of the series outside of the real Red John reveal.

Currently, I'm watching The Shield. Just finished season 1. It's definitely not much for nuance or subtlety, but it's a fun, action-packed thrill ride.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Pron on VHS posted:

like, the angry older brother with the mustache in Peaky Blinders, all he does is loudly yell PEAKAY BLINDUHS every few scenes, that's his entire character. Sometimes he'll punch someone after yelling it

and then about 5 eps in he suddenly turns into a dumb sadsack for some reason, and everything else starts making even less sense after that. And the weird guitar riffs in the background. It's a really strange show. I know they used guitar riffs in Boardwalk too but it was subtle and well done, this felt like a Mountain Dew commercial.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

Some shows I've finished recently:

The Wire: As good as advertised, can't really add much more to what's been said.

Malcolm In the Middle: I thought this show was hilarious. Good, light comedy to mix in if you're watching a really heavy series at the same time. It's early 2000's as gently caress, which works for me because I'm about the same age as the main character. Like most sitcoms, it takes a lot of the first season to really settle in, but it's pretty consistent after that. I think seasons 2-4 were probably the best since the ages of the kids lined up best for sitcom purposes, but the episode quality was surprisingly strong all the way to the logical end point. Jane Kaczmarek is really the anchor of the show as the mom and Bryan Cranston cheeses it up to the max as the dad. I like the direction they went with Frankie Muniz as Malcolm being just as much of an rear end in a top hat as his two older brothers as he gets older. His character of being the smartest kid in world works so much better as an anti-social douche. Each episode does a pretty good job dividing up screen time between all the characters and mixing and matching the pairings so no one gets too over-exposed, and minimizes the damage if there's a weak subplot.

The Mentalist: The first 3 seasons of this show are definitely worth a watch if you like "crime of the week" procedurals. Patrick Jane (Simon Baker) is a great character as a self-serving, unstable sociopath with a knack for solving puzzles and manipulating people. Throw him into a cast of cliche cop show characters and let the fun commence as they all follow his ridiculous plans to catch bad guys because why not. While the overarching theme of him hunting a serial killer that killed his wife and kid is rather dark, a lot of the episodes are pretty light (as far as murder mysteries go) and have a lot of self-aware comedic elements. The second half of season 3 gets pretty intense, and the finale is legit great. Just watch to that point and pretend that's the end of the series. If you continue past that, you'll regret it about 20 minutes into season 4, and it never gets better. There's still some good weekly filler sprinkled in, but the main story goes straight off a cliff and explodes spectacularly a few episodes into season 6 with a completely nonsensical god-awful conclusion. The show inexplicably continues for another season and a half, nigh on unrecognizable. I will say that in the finale I didn't mind Jane and Lisbon getting married since they actually did a good job building up how much they cared about one another throughout the long series. Plus the way they blow off the criminal story for that episode is hilarious and reminiscent of the early years. That said, the scene where he confesses his love to her on an airplane is loving terrible and the lowest point of the series outside of the real Red John reveal.

Currently, I'm watching The Shield. Just finished season 1. It's definitely not much for nuance or subtlety, but it's a fun, action-packed thrill ride.

I just binged through the shield thanks to the sopranos thread and loved every minute. I didn't think there was one bad episode. Wish it was on HBO though, even though FX allowed them to do a lot.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I can't imagine what The Shield would do on HBO besides say "gently caress" a lot more and show some boobs. They say everything else under the sun including a decent amount of racial slurs, there's plenty of violence and sex, plus some very disturbing thematic content (That cherrypopper episode :stonk:). While I thought there were a couple problems with the first season, lack of edge certainly wasn't one of them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also the closet gay cop actor murdered his real life wife.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

works for me because I'm about the same age as the main character.

:stare:

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

I'll say right up front that I haven't seen it since it aired, but I remember American Gothic (1995) being absolutely awesome.

The story takes place in the fictional town of Trinity, South Carolina, and revolves around Caleb Temple (Lucas Black) and the town's corrupt sheriff, Lucas Buck (Gary Cole). Though appearing affable and charismatic, Sheriff Buck is a murderous rapist whose power base is backed by apparent supernatural powers, which he generally uses to manipulate people to "fulfil their potential" and make life-changing choices (usually for evil).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

I meant I was about the same age as the main character when the show was running. I'm 29 now, lol.