Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Also, love Spain trying to use this to get Gibraltar back, since it voted Remain overwhelmingly. Love Sinn Féin wanting a referendum for separating Northern Ireland from the UK and unifying Ireland.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/leave-or-remain-eu-referendum-results-and-live-maps/

Love it. Imagine if this were to result in Scotland and Northern Ireland leaving the UK? :laffo: Wonderful, just wonderful. Glorious.

Oh hey I felt like bringing in this old news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31725075

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If the SNP is smart they'll announce a Scexit referendum to be held as soon as possible. This is the best opportunity they're going to have in decades. The trolling potential is off the charts.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Phlegmish posted:

If the SNP is smart they'll announce a Scexit referendum to be held as soon as possible. This is the best opportunity they're going to have in decades. The trolling potential is off the charts.

https://twitter.com/OpenEurope/status/746288846954987520

https://twitter.com/jsphctrl/status/746290213895417857

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha that's baller as hell.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Joint statement by Donald Tusk, President of the European Council, Martin Schulz, President of the European Parliament, Mark Rutte, holder of the rotating Presidency of the Council of the EU, and Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, on the outcome of the United Kingdom referendum:

quote:

"In a free and democratic process, the British people have expressed their wish to leave the European Union. We regret this decision but respect it.

This is an unprecedented situation but we are united in our response. We will stand strong and uphold the EU's core values of promoting peace and the well-being of its peoples. The Union of 27 Member States will continue. The Union is the framework of our common political future. We are bound together by history, geography and common interests and will develop our cooperation on this basis. Together we will address our common challenge to generate growth, increase prosperity and ensure a safe and secure environment for our citizens. The institutions will play their full role in this endeavour.

We now expect the United Kingdom government to give effect to this decision of the British people as soon as possible, however painful that process may be. Any delay would unnecessarily prolong uncertainty. We have rules to deal with this in an orderly way. Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union sets out the procedure to be followed if a Member State decides to leave the European Union. We stand ready to launch negotiations swiftly with the United Kingdom regarding the terms and conditions of its withdrawal from the European Union. Until this process of negotiations is over, the United Kingdom remains a member of the European Union, with all the rights and obligations that derive from this. According to the Treaties which the United Kingdom has ratified, EU law continues to apply to the full to and in the United Kingdom until it is no longer a Member.

As agreed, the “New Settlement for the United Kingdom within the European Union”, reached at the European Council on 18-19 February 2016, will now not take effect and ceases to exist. There will be no renegotiation.

As regards the United Kingdom, we hope to have it as a close partner of the European Union also in the future. We expect the United Kingdom to formulate its proposals in this respect. Any agreement, which will be concluded with the United Kingdom as a third country, will have to reflect the interests of both sides and be balanced in terms of rights and obligations.”

(Bolding mine)

EU taking a tough stance - there will only be formal negotiations on Brexit, no extended informal ones. And time is not on the UK's side.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Charlie Mopps posted:

Fleeing Uk people should all come to the Netherlands. We have the same poo poo weather and poo poo food as the UK has, so you should feel right at home!

Can confirm. The food here is actually even worse than in the UK though.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

Can confirm. The food here is actually even worse than in the UK though.

Food availability in the Netherlands is among the best in the world, and it is also relatively cheap. There is absolutely no need to eat Dutch food at all while you're in the Netherlands, as long as you know how to cook.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Food availability in the Netherlands is among the best in the world, and it is also relatively cheap. There is absolutely no need to eat Dutch food at all while you're in the Netherlands, as long as you know how to cook.

But why would you not want to eat Frikandel with Pommes Spezial?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Belgium has the same dreary weather and better food. But if you've got a colour you'll be shunned by our many racists.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

nimby posted:

Belgium has the same dreary weather and better food. But if you've got a colour you'll be shunned by our many racists.

Sure we have a lot of racists, but we also have great beer. And it even stopped raining for a few hours now!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

willemw posted:

Sure we have a lot of racists, but we also have great beer. And it even stopped raining for a few hours now!

False advertising as usual from the perfidious Belge.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

nimby posted:

Compared to 51,9% of your country rather crashing and burning the economy than sharing their borders with you, that's still an improvement for British refugees

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

Tesseraction posted:

False advertising as usual from the perfidious Belge.

Yeah, I'm sorry. It should have been the best beer :colbert:

Meanwhile, in Manchester: http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-06-24/leave-voter-disappointed-and-wishes-to-vote-remain/

quote:

A woman who voted to Leave the European Union on Thursday has said that she is "very disappointed" by the results.

The woman, identified only as Mandy, spoke at Manchester Airport, saying that "reality" has now hit her and that given her chance again she would vote to remain.

The student said her decision was due to "the pressure of being told" by the two competing sides who she should vote for.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Train every single retard goon who voted for leave to this thread to explain themselves. Explain why you crashed the entire world economy and destroyed trillions $ of wealth and the economic future of your country for the "lulz" or whatever.

I'm butthurt so much right you wouldn't believe it. Why do I have to deal with this poo poo when it's YOUR baby boomer population that is mentally deficient.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Paper wealth in the stock markets is not real wealth. Investors can go gently caress themselves.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Phlegmish posted:

Please never say Scexit ever again. Oh my word that is horrifying.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Riso posted:

Paper wealth in the stock markets is not real wealth. Investors can go gently caress themselves.

:psyduck:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Riso posted:

I think Brexit was probably a huge mistake, but it's funny watching leftists cry about stock market valuations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

^^^

It's my freaking pension we are talking about. You know, the stuff I will need to not starve when I can't work anymore. It's kinda dear to me.

Riso posted:

Well it's my freaking money that got destroyed and my freaking money is really, really real to me.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I think Brexit was probably a huge mistake, but it's funny watching leftists cry about stock market valuations.

Just an equalising of wealth, comrade.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

forkboy84 posted:

Please never say Scexit ever again. Oh my word that is horrifying.
The campaign can take this as its theme tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjVT0MhSNeo

Riso posted:

Anybody who owns pounds or gets paid in pounds has been materially hurt by this vote.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why did so many people vote Leave when apparently they did not want Leave to win. Is there lead in the water in the UK or something, or is it congenital mental deficiency?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The pound will rebound after people got over the initial panic and figured out they're idiots.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LemonDrizzle posted:

Anybody who owns pounds or gets paid in pounds has been materially hurt by this vote.
Pounds are not real wealth and only have value because a bunch of other people think they do. :smug:

Or did.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Do you mean in terms or prices on the street? Because interest has been puny since 2008.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PT6A posted:

Why did so many people vote Leave when apparently they did not want Leave to win. Is there lead in the water in the UK or something, or is it congenital mental deficiency?

According to my well-researched theory, living on an island causes cerebral atrophism in humans.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

LemonDrizzle posted:

Not yet. Most people with own pounds or get paid in pounds will only be materially hurt by the exchange rate drop from the Brexit if the drop persists and only at that level.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LemonDrizzle posted:

The campaign can take this as its theme tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjVT0MhSNeo

OK LemonDrizzle, you've made me do a 180 on this. I can now get behind a Scexit campaign brought to you by Strapping Young Lad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Being a leftist doesn't make one exempt from the effects of losing money, pensions, wages.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Randler posted:

Not yet. Most people with own pounds or get paid in pounds will only be materially hurt by the exchange rate drop from the Brexit if the drop persists and only at that level.

So you're saying I should blow my dough on luxuries now while I have the chance?

time to go bankrupt

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/4pl39t/will_you_take_us_back/

quote:

Unionist to nationalist convert here in the last hour

I'm sorry please take us back

quote:

are you actually serious? I've always been intrigued by Norn Iron. Will there be a lot of people (Unionists turned Nationalist) in the wake of this vote?

quote:

While I'm sort of shitposting I am serious, I've been a unionist for good reasons which included my thought that the UK had a good influence over the world, I think we've lost that and I feel no reason to stay within the UK, it was the only reason I was holding on. I've seena few others like me on /r/northernireland but it probably won't mean much to capital U unionist (until scotland leaves atleast)

quote:

Same mate. Was a big ol' unionist until about an hour ago. Would happily vote for a UI now.

So lads, how does this "Barry's" compare to glorious "Thompson's"?

quote:

Dubliner here. I never thought I'd say this but : yes, let's have a united Ireland.

Yum yum!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

To be honest if you are leftist, Tony Blair trying to use the brexit as his way back in Labour 3 months before a new election, probably makes any money concern unimportant.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The only thing Tony Blair is going to make his way into is a jail cell in the Hague.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

willemw posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry. It should have been the best beer :colbert:

Meanwhile, in Manchester: http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-06-24/leave-voter-disappointed-and-wishes-to-vote-remain/

Lmao what the hell. How can you be this stupid.

Well, at least one good thing to come out of this is conclusive proof that direct democracy really doesn't work.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm shocked that the campaign with no message beyond fear of economic turmoil and 'stop being racist you grubby little proles' didn't capture hearts and minds.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I'm shocked that the campaign with no message beyond fear of economic turmoil and 'stop being racist you grubby little proles' didn't capture hearts and minds.

Especially from the most pants-on-fire lying government we've probably ever had.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The NI secretary of state has already ruled out a border poll today as the Good Friday agreement stipulates that one can only be called if the secretary of state has reason to believe that the outcome would lead to change in the status quo.

We would need to see a significant swing in opinion polling (like +20% for a united Ireland) before it happens. SF knows this, they've called for border polls multiple times before.

edit: Also Unionist turnout for Leave was stronger than expected and it scooped several constituencies usually won by the DUP. The Nationalist vote turnout was abysmal (49% in Belfast West, Gerry Adams old stomping ground) so its hardly a case that nationalist voters where fired up by the referendum.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 24, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's going to be funny if the EU spitefully stops using English as the primary working language now. It really shouldn't though, because it's a more common language than French or German in every member state except France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and Austria. Plus it's a neutral third option so France and Germany don't have to fight about who's more important.

Tesseraction posted:

Especially from the most pants-on-fire lying government we've probably ever had.

It's hard to imagine someone having a worse legacy than David Cameron. I think he pretty clearly just passed Blair.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This referendum goes deeper than I expected:

https://twitter.com/LeighHolmwood/status/746243602561568768
:patriot:

Also, I love question #2.

Sinteres posted:

It's going to be funny if the EU spitefully stops using English as the primary working language now. It really shouldn't though, because it's a more common language than French or German in every member state except France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and Austria. Plus it's a neutral third option so France and Germany don't have to fight about who's more important.

French has historical precedent as an international diplomatic language, and it still is to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to switch to Latin.