Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Guys... I think we may be heading toward 5-10 Leave...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Guys... I think we may be heading toward 5-10 Leave...

I'm staying off margin market. I think it will be fairly close on 4-5 which is just a recipe for me losing money.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Not touching the margin markets. Once-burned-twice-shy.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
bbc just called it

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Baddog posted:

bbc just called it

So did Sky News.

Holy gently caress I'm glad I didn't end up betting in that market. There were three times when I almost deposited money so I could max out on it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
$700 gain today. This calls for a steak dinner.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Same. Gonna buy a few bottles of single malt with my winnings.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I threw 2 bucks of play money at NO during the swings for the hell of it. Seriously thought you guys were going to pull it through, UK. What the gently caress

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
I bet on the British People not making GBS threads the bed, then lighting it on fire.
I deserve what I received.
Only lost fifty bucks, so I can't be too upset, especially when I have a buddy who dropped $850 on No at .77 & just cashed out at 2 cents.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
So when does the "how long till WW3" market open

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

showbiz_liz posted:

So when does the "how long till WW3" market open

Right after Trump wins.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I bet huge on no, steadily withdrew, and still ended up making (edit) 15 bucks. Can't complain, but fuuuuck.

Sorry UK.

Bullfrog has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Jun 24, 2016

Baddog
May 12, 2001

The Joe Man posted:

Right after Trump wins.

gonna be a lot of droning and bombing and "boots on the ground" with hillary too. Maybe I need to load up on defense companies.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
This is exactly why I didn't get involved. Too afraid Britain would gently caress it up. Which they did. Great job.

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

Great job, everyone.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lost $1000, made $1000, then lost $250 rolling the bones on a surge to 5% down the stretch. What a huge waste of my time!

But if it had reached 5%, boy...

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

But did you have fun?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
:siren: :siren:
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/746304313362788352

BigBobio
May 1, 2009
Just be careful with that. The rules state:

quote:

Any public statement(s) that Sanders supports Clinton's candidacy and/or intends to vote for her shall constitute an endorsement, unless promptly qualified by an express statement that it does not constitute an endorsement.

Who knows what PredictIt considers prompt, but Bernie does get a (brief) window for a take-backsies. What would be interesting is if "clarifies" by saying that yes he's voting for her, but he's not endorsing her yet. Since he would be confirming that he's voting for her, that counts according to their rules?

Fake Edit:
In CNN interview, he's voting for Clinton "in all likelihood"

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/746320904641183744

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
lol I wouldn't touch that market with a ten foot pole with how murky the rules are combined with Bernies tenacity. Just thought you guys who are still stuck would like to know your 'out' is here

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
On the Colbert Show last night he was explicitly asked if he would endorse Clinton and he said "No."

So maybe he changed his mind overnight but I wouldn't get back in that market

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Friday morning right after the brexit bombshell seems like the perfect time to drop it if you want to minimize its coverage

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It's not an endorsement to say "I'll vote for Hillary Clinton because she happens to be the candidate most likely to beat Donald Trump".

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

EngineerSean posted:

It's not an endorsement to say "I'll vote for Hillary Clinton because she happens to be the candidate most likely to beat Donald Trump".

OR MAYBE IT IS???

Welcome to hell, whoever-happens-to-still-be-in-that-market

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Multi-contract chart drifting!?!?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Bernie Sanders is a piece of poo poo.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
What happened?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Oh nothing, just another day where Bernie Sanders is somehow still a candidate.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Bernie owns. Sold my drop out NO shares at .63c since I didn't want to get screwed on a weird language technicality. Jumping outta the Ben Carson game (mostly; keeping 500 cheap shares for the hell of it) and shooting myself a check because I'm broke.

Oh and it's going to be Warren; prices are low as hell right now. Kaine has been pumped to hell in the past few days so if you LIVE ON THE EDGE, grab those Kaine NOs.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, much needed new PI change - you can now withdraw through direct deposit and don't have to wait for a check.

The Joe Man has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Jun 25, 2016

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

My best ever day on Predictit. The market held onto No for way too long.
Never bet on the "sure thing" of assuming that any given electorate won't pick the unbelievably dumb option.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Looks like there's a (read-only) API. I'm going to throw together some utilities. Basic stuff, like a terminal ticker, saving data, and setting alerts. What features would people be interested in?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Looks like there's a (read-only) API. I'm going to throw together some utilities. Basic stuff, like a terminal ticker, saving data, and setting alerts. What features would people be interested in?

Very cool, looking forward to it

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
A price change alert would be amazing. Because I don't freak out enough as it stands, anyway.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

when I looked at the API it was a little underwhelming, because it doesn't even include some of the basic site features. namely, it doesn't provide access to hourly ticker data, only daily. and someone in irc said they thought they had heard official opinion from predictit that they frown on people trying to scrape the site for data harvesting purposes, but i don't remember the specifics.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

from previous PI emails about new markets, etc.:

quote:

Also, a reminder to all PredictIt users: Automatically scraping data from the site not only can cause slowness for all users, but also is a violation of the Terms of Service and can result in suspension of your account.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't imagine reading the JSON API counts as scraping. The description (linked in my last post) is in the FAQ on the PredictIt support page. And it doesn't say "...but reading it is against the TOS".

There are plenty of limitations, but it is updated every second. There's no order depth, just the highest/lowest offers and last price. And there's no list of markets. But it's enough to make a basic price alert tool, which is the reason I looked into this in the first place.

Of course it wouldn't be impossible to fake a full API with scraping or whatever, but I don't need to check the TOS to know that's a bad idea.

Edit: Even though I think he's the most likely pick, Kaine DVP No for .56 is quite tempting.

SurgicalOntologist has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Jun 26, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Joe Man posted:

Bernie owns. Sold my drop out NO shares at .63c since I didn't want to get screwed on a weird language technicality. Jumping outta the Ben Carson game (mostly; keeping 500 cheap shares for the hell of it) and shooting myself a check because I'm broke.

Oh and it's going to be Warren; prices are low as hell right now. Kaine has been pumped to hell in the past few days so if you LIVE ON THE EDGE, grab those Kaine NOs.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, much needed new PI change - you can now withdraw through direct deposit and don't have to wait for a check.

I've got 1000 shares of Perez because I want to believe. Mostly I just really hope it's not Kaine. The White House doesn't need any more boring white guys. Plus the upside of picking on the Latino options seems way greater for Hillary. Just a 24/7 dare for Trump to say something racist about the VP candidate. Also none of them affect the Senate calculus.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I don't imagine reading the JSON API counts as scraping. The description (linked in my last post) is in the FAQ on the PredictIt support page. And it doesn't say "...but reading it is against the TOS".

There are plenty of limitations, but it is updated every second. There's no order depth, just the highest/lowest offers and last price. And there's no list of markets. But it's enough to make a basic price alert tool, which is the reason I looked into this in the first place.

Of course it wouldn't be impossible to fake a full API with scraping or whatever, but I don't need to check the TOS to know that's a bad idea.

Edit: Even though I think he's the most likely pick, Kaine DVP No for .56 is quite tempting.

Yeah I was looking into an arbitrage bot that would automatically arbitrate markets when the opportunity arose and realized they'd spot it hitting every market every minute 24/7 and get upset with me.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Trump / Clinton poll margin for June 29: B1 (Clinton 7.0+) is increasing a bunch.

Is that actually likely? I've been putting money on no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bullfrog posted:

Trump / Clinton poll margin for June 29: B1 (Clinton 7.0+) is increasing a bunch.

Is that actually likely? I've been putting money on no.

Yes, it's fairly likely. She's been posting double or high single digit leads in a lot of polls that come out, though not all of them make it on RCP. Currently her two oldest polls are +3 and she's sitting at +5.9. If those drop off and high polls replace them, 7+ is a good bet.

Edit: Don't Bet On Polls

Gyges has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Jun 26, 2016

• Locked thread