Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Electromax posted:

Also some wicked scoring for a kids cartoon show.
Shirley Walker is amazing. Show me a piece of music that invokes superheroes as much as her Nightwing theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Optimist with doubt posted:

Batman as an in depth character is something I feel like we won't really get to explore in depth in this giant blockbuster world of comic book movies.

Batman is by far the most interesting and compelling character in Batman v Superman. That version of Batman is the most interesting in all the movies so far if you ask me.

As for Conroy's performance in the Animated Series, he made it easy to forget that Bruce Wayne is Batman, especially with the white eyes under the cowl.

^
Walker gave Maxie Zeus - a lovely Z list villain - a theme worthy of Maurice Jarre.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 24, 2016

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That scene might be a case FOR awkward censorship in 90's cartoons. When they throw punches, it's obscured by silhouettes or Batman's cape. Adds a lot of "Noodle Incident" mystique.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Electromax posted:

Also some wicked scoring for a kids cartoon show.
Yeah BTAS and its movies had great scoring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6K1qNsE9v0

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I own both volumes of the Batman: The Animated Series soundtrack. Love Penguin and Clayface's themes. For my money, Shirley Walker's Batman theme is the best of them, just edging out Elfman's.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Penguin theme plays during that fantastic moment when he's robbing an art gallery with his goons. One of them is transfixed by a painting until another goon nudges him and they take it off the wall.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phylodox posted:

I own both volumes of the Batman: The Animated Series soundtrack. Love Penguin and Clayface's themes. For my money, Shirley Walker's Batman theme is the best of them, just edging out Elfman's.

I'm on my phone in public, so I can't listen and see if I'm right, but wasn't her Batman theme directly based on Elfman's?. Probably still better though.

Shirley Walker also did all the music for Batman Beyond, which is both excellent and a completely different style.

In slightly different direction, one of my favorite parts of BvS is Wonder Woman's theme.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Skwirl posted:

I'm on my phone in public, so I can't listen and see if I'm right, but wasn't her Batman theme directly based on Elfman's?. Probably still better though.

Pretty heavily influenced by, yeah, but distinct.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's a great moment in Batman Beyond where Bruce Wayne refers to himself in his own head as Batman. That's who he really is. Bruce Wayne died that night in the alley and gave way to Batman. In the comics when Bruce Wayne was framed for murder he basically said "gently caress it" and totally dropped the Bruce Wayne identity. His extended family had to convince him to re-establish it, in another great moment that had either Tim or Dick ask, "if Bruce Wayne doesn't exist then who adopted me?" Great stuff. poo poo like that is what makes Batman a great and compelling character.

Again I both agree and disagree. Bruce certainly sees himself as Batman but that isn't the reality. I suppose from a certain perspective if he believes it to be so, it is so but that feels like such a bleak reading on the character. When binge watched the DCAU several years ago, I noticed one simple thing: DCAU Batman has the worst loving life ever...and it doesn't have to be that way. He has people who love him in the form of Alfred, the sidekicks and then his Justice League pals. Yet, where does he end up? All alone, just quietly waiting to die.

Thank God for Terry helping to avert this horrible end for such a great man. Terry was his last chance at humanity. Because that's all he's ever been is a human. Saying he's Batman, the Dark Knight, a tool of vengeance, feels like how he denies himself. The Joker actually had it right - "Behind all the sturm and bat-o-rangs, you're just a little boy in a playsuit, crying for mommy and daddy!" A fact shown when, moments later, he throws a knife at Joker's head in homicidal rage. No way to spin that one, nor how he grabs a gun to hold up a crook at the start of Batman Beyond.

Batman is only human. He's only Bruce Wayne. He just doesn't want to admit it.

Also, Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker is my favorite Batman film ever, animated or live-action. Granted, Terry McGinnis is my favorite DCAU character so this probably helps.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 24, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Return of the Joker is a really great movie and Terry is a good Batman

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Batman Beyond: the best Spider-Man story ever told?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Batman Terry is both the best Batman and the best Spider-Man.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAENi3bVbs

I liked the other song better.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Would Midnight Special be the closest example of an objectivist superman? That movie is pretty much what happens if the government found out Clark saved that school bus.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I liked the other song better.
I can't think of a song right now that I want to hear less than something that brings together Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, and loving Imagine Dragons.

Basebf555 posted:

Michael Keaton had played Bruce Wayne as somewhat of a creep, he really wasn't doing a good job of disguising himself at all.
Having just watched Batman and Batman Returns recently, it's amazing that as soon as he gets a half a chub for a woman, Bruce Wayne can't wait to tell her he's Batman.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

This song is better & LIl Wayne + Imagine Dragons is the ultimate gambit of our time

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

I can't think of a song right now that I want to hear less than something that brings together Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, and loving Imagine Dragons.

Having just watched Batman and Batman Returns recently, it's amazing that as soon as he gets a half a chub for a woman, Bruce Wayne can't wait to tell her he's Batman.

Not true. In Batman Forever, he screams it at the top of his lungs at the circus to save Dick Grayson's life... oh dear.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

This is actually a'ight. Wait, people say a'ight still, right?

Also, man they're laying on the prison-industrial/school-to-prison pipeline poo poo thick.

TetsuoTW posted:

What gets me is just how unnecessarily convoluted the artist credits are: "Two rappers and a overhyped Pop Rock act, w/ two other marginally better rappers, ft. some poo poo you've never heard of"

In a way, it's like if X Ambassadors, Logic, and Ty Dolla $ign are all stand-ins for the order in which the red shirts get merced in this movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

K. Waste posted:

What gets me is just how unnecessarily convoluted the artist credits are: "Two rappers and a overhyped Pop Rock act, w/ two other marginally better rappers, ft. some poo poo you've never heard of"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaACrT6Ydik

If the video doesn't load, it's *takes a breath* Juicy J, Wiz Khalifa, Ty Dolla $ign - Shell Shocked ft. Kill The Noise & Madsonik

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 24, 2016

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

NikkolasKing posted:

Again I both agree and disagree. Bruce certainly sees himself as Batman but that isn't the reality. I suppose from a certain perspective if he believes it to be so, it is so but that feels like such a bleak reading on the character. When binge watched the DCAU several years ago, I noticed one simple thing: DCAU Batman has the worst loving life ever...and it doesn't have to be that way. He has people who love him in the form of Alfred, the sidekicks and then his Justice League pals. Yet, where does he end up? All alone, just quietly waiting to die.

Thank God for Terry helping to avert this horrible end for such a great man. Terry was his last chance at humanity. Because that's all he's ever been is a human. Saying he's Batman, the Dark Knight, a tool of vengeance, feels like how he denies himself. The Joker actually had it right - "Behind all the sturm and bat-o-rangs, you're just a little boy in a playsuit, crying for mommy and daddy!" A fact shown when, moments later, he throws a knife at Joker's head in homicidal rage. No way to spin that one, nor how he grabs a gun to hold up a crook at the start of Batman Beyond.

Batman is only human. He's only Bruce Wayne. He just doesn't want to admit it.

Also, Batman Beyond:Return of the Joker is my favorite Batman film ever, animated or live-action. Granted, Terry McGinnis is my favorite DCAU character so this probably helps.

The "Bruce Wayne is the real mask" thing also doesn't jive with the fact that Clark refers to him as Bruce. Clark is supposed to be his closest friend, not another rube fooled by the costume. Same with Dick, Alfred, etc. When they get real with him they call him Bruce.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaACrT6Ydik

If the video doesn't load, it's *takes a breath* Juicy J, Wiz Khalifa, Ty Dolla $ign - Shell Shocked ft. Kill The Noise & Madsonik

There it is. Also, legit good song, makes me want to see that movie again even though I didn't particularly care for it. It had some mad good action cinematography and production design.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Terrible Horse posted:

The "Bruce Wayne is the real mask" thing also doesn't jive with the fact that Clark refers to him as Bruce. Clark is supposed to be his closest friend, not another rube fooled by the costume. Same with Dick, Alfred, etc. When they get real with him they call him Bruce.

"Good evening, Master Batman. Shall I warm up the Batmobile, or will sir be requiring his Bruce Wayne costume tonight?"

"I just wanted to say, we couldn't have stopped Brainiac's laser beam without you. Thanks, Bruce."
"The name's Batman."
"Uhh, thanks... Batman."
"You're welcome, Superman. *smoke grenade*"

I really like this angle on the character, but I don't think I've ever actually seen it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Terrible Horse posted:

Clark sees the human side in everyone, Batman probably just humours him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Terrible Horse posted:

Its just a shorthand to explain that his true identity is the guy who goes out and beats up criminals; the life of Bruce Wayne the billionaire playboy is just a façade that he'd give up in two seconds if it wasn't useful to him. The fact that his close friends call him Bruce doesn't change any of that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

He's the delusional one, not everyone else.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

Yea I guess the sad truth is that he's not really Batman or Bruce Wayne, at least not the version of Bruce that he plays in public. He's still the little kid who just saw his parents murdered, he's never developed past that moment, he'll always be stuck there. Nolan I suppose is the only one to ever allow him that progress at the end of Dark Knight Rises.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

TetsuoTW posted:

It's important to not discount subjectivity on either side. Neither party is delusional. Like, Bruce Wayne isn't any more delusional that he's Batman than Don Diego is delusional that he's Zorro. It's inherently false to unilaterally declare one side to be delusional and the other 'authentic' just because one wears a literal mask and partakes in flamboyant performance. Just as with Two-Face/Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight Returns, it is actually impossible, and, indeed, unethical, to delineate the human condition in this way. The performance is just as real as 'the real thing.' The alter-ego is just as authentic as the ego.

The real problem is that we insist on seeing the problem as "How do we 'cure' Bruce Wayne of this pathology and make him recognize his inherent humanity?" This is predicated on a series of faulty premises which ultimately boil down to the emphatic belief that there is some preternatural, authentic 'essence' of humanity which we must delineate from 'bad thoughts' which corrupt our 'purity.' This is clearly just reframing Batman's reactionary persecution of criminals against Batman himself, solving nothing.

What we should do, alternatively, is recognize in Bruce Wayne/Batman's overt inhumanity the potential for radical change. It is not Bruce Wayne who needs to be 'cured' of the abhorrent Batman delusion - It is Batman who must be molded into a superior moral entity.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I don't know where people get the idea that Batman is insane. In almost all Batman stories he comes off as pretty sane. Yeah, even the hyper-aggressive Batman from Miller's The Dark Knight Returns was sane. He wasn't out of touch with reality, and his strategies were effective (pretty much because Frank Miller uses Batman to express his own views of the world). Yeah he dresses in a silly bat costume, but this is calculated psychological warfare. Yeah he likes to beat up people, but so does every other superhero in comic books.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There are a lot of different kinds of mental illness, and not all of them manifest as you becoming Alex Jones.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

I don't know where people get the idea that Batman is insane. In almost all Batman stories he comes off as pretty sane. Yeah, even the hyper-aggressive Batman from Miller's The Dark Knight Returns was sane. He wasn't out of touch with reality, and his strategies were effective (pretty much because Frank Miller uses Batman to express his own views of the world). Yeah he dresses in a silly bat costume, but this is calculated psychological warfare. Yeah he likes to beat up people, but so does every other superhero in comic books.

Who's saying he's insane? Having delusions is not the same as insanity, many people are perfectly functional while also being delusional. Also, nobody is saying that he literally has multiple personality disorder, which is a serious mental illness. When we say "Bruce Wayne isn't his true identity", we don't mean that in the literal sense. But its how he thinks of himself, and how he operates, and its not healthy because it means he's in a perpetual state of arrested development. None of that is the same as what most people would call insanity, especially by the legal definition.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Well, what kind of mental illness does Batman have? Autism? Schizophrenia? Bipolar disorder? Psychopathy? Borderline personality disorder? Does he hear voices in his head? Does he have jumbled thoughts or disorganized speech? Does he feel like he's being watched at all times? Does he go through mood swings? Does he have the mental age of a 12-year-old?

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 24, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

Well, what kind of mental illness does Batman have? Autism? Schizophrenia? Bipolar disorder? Psychopathy? Borderline personality disorder? Does he hear voices in his head? Does he have jumbled thoughts or disorganized speech? Does he feel like he's being watched at all times? Does he go through mood swings?

We could debate about that all day, and my personal answer is he probably isn't mentally ill, at least the way its defined by most professionals.

The point is he's not mentally or emotionally healthy, which is not at all the same as a diagnosable mental illness.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Which Batman are we talking about? Because the Batman I know from the Adam West show or the 90s cartoon came off as pretty well-balanced. Bruce Wayne was a very likable guy in those shows.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
One of my favorite interpretations of Bruce Wayne is that he's basically a mentally stunted man-child in a state of arrested development. He hangs out with young boys all day and uses his money to live out a youthful fantasy of beating up bad guys while driving a cool car and having the best toys. He's a big kid.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Except he's not dreaming those things like a dumb moody 12 year old, he's actually doing those things, and is so good at it that he is more important to Gotham's security than the police department. There's a difference between a kid who dreams of being an astronaut and an adult who has actually passed NASA training and spends his free time doing somersaults in zero gravity. They always make a big deal of how disciplined, fearless, and clever Batman is. He's not petulant, he doesn't have a bad sense of humor, and he has a normal level of empathy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

Except he's not dreaming those things like a dumb moody 12 year old, he's actually doing those things, and is so good at it that he is more important to Gotham's security than the police department. There's a difference between a kid who dreams of being an astronaut and an adult who has actually passed NASA training and is doing somersaults in zero gravity. They always make a big deal of how disciplined, fearless, and clever Batman is. He's not petulant, he doesn't have a bad sense of humor, and he has a normal level of empathy.

None of what your saying precludes a person from having delusions or being stunted both mentally and emotionally. These are things someone can work around, especially given the unlimited resources that Bruce Wayne has. But he's not healthy(with the possible exception of Adam West Batman), I think that much is self-evident.

People who pass NASA training and become astronauts go through intensive screening processes to (theoretically)weed out those who have these kind of issues. Bruce has never had to pass any such evaluations.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 24, 2016

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Kurzon posted:

Well, what kind of mental illness does Batman have? Autism? Schizophrenia? Bipolar disorder? Psychopathy? Borderline personality disorder? Does he hear voices in his head? Does he have jumbled thoughts or disorganized speech? Does he feel like he's being watched at all times? Does he go through mood swings? Does he have the mental age of a 12-year-old?

I always imagined him to have extreme PTSD and obsessive paranoia. He's like those guys who start to think conspiracies are real and build bunkers and stuff, and it's basically impossible for them to feel safe.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Kurzon posted:

Well, what kind of mental illness does Batman have?

PTSD.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

None of what your saying precludes a person from having delusions or being stunted both mentally and emotionally. These are things someone can work around, especially given the unlimited resources that Bruce Wayne has. But he's not healthy(with the possible exception of Adam West Batman), I think that much is self-evident
"Batman having no delusions does not preclude him from having delusions."

Could you re-read my post? I said that Batman clearly does not suffer from delusions or mental retardation. In the majority of Batman literature he is a well-balanced person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kurzon posted:

Could you re-read my post? I said that Batman clear does not suffer from delusions or mental retardation. In the majority of Batman literature he is a well-balanced person.

Mental retardation? Who is saying that? Again you're misunderstanding these terms. Being mentally stunted doesn't have to mean you literally have the mind of a 12 year old.

The delusions are debatable, but again, you don't seem to understand what a delusion is. It doesn't mean he literally hears voices in his head.

• Locked thread