Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

superh posted:

I've been plugging away at a "new" roguelike prototype these last few weeks.

(It's actually based on an old, old project of mine.)

gorgeous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FredMSloniker posted:

I think you mistyped '9 GOTO 1' in that list. :v:

It's a moot point, because statement 7 is unreachable anyway! :eng101:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's a moot point, because statement 7 is unreachable anyway! :eng101:

Not so! I'm stuck on 8 right now and have that creeping feeling of dread that it may not be fixable without major redesigning.

I'll have more gifs of ttymor to show off someday, I swear. :argh:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Drive-by post about HyperRogue, as it's on sale for 2.50$ over at steam.

I just tested the free version, and hmmm. It's the first roguelike to give me mild motion sickness from the way the world moves. Gameplay is simple - bump into monsters to kill them. You die in one hit, they die in one hit, and the game warns you whenever you're about to move into a spot that will kill you. Run around the world grabbing gold/treasures, and eventually move into randomly generated new worlds - new palettes and wall behaviors - and bump into more monsters.

The most striking world I ran into was the palace, where there were switches to open walls - or close them - and the palace guards would be knocked back on the first blow so it took two to kill them. Then there was the water world, where I needed a boat.

The version on Steam has more content and stuff, but I....am not sure I want to spend more time with something so simple? Maybe there's something I'm missing, but it felt very barebones in terms of what you do.

Anyways, here's my tentative check it out for yourself, and if find something magical about it that I missed, buy it!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Unormal posted:

No, tools won't really help, programming is almost entirely debugging always.

Real talk. This is literally what separates good programmers for great programmers.

Can you figure out what's wrong without bugging me? You Are Great.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Steam sale chat

I am obligated by Programmer Law to mention that Deathstate is half off on the summer Steam sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/402120/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Anyone been playing Cryptark much lately? Been thinking about picking it up on and off for awhile now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Anyone been playing Cryptark much lately? Been thinking about picking it up on and off for awhile now.

I played it some a few months ago, really liked the concept, but had some technical issues (framerate tanking), and the way the campaign was structured was incredibly effective at luring me into making bad decisions -- when choosing your loadout for each level, you get bonus pay for taking on self-imposed challenges like having a pathetic max health or limiting the quality of the weapons you bring. In any case you also have to pay for all the ammo you use for said weapons. So all that leads to a game where you're encouraged, score-wise, to be as extreme as possible, and I kept trying for things that I just wasn't capable of pulling off.

Fortunately there's also a endless mode which is more roguelike-like, in that you just play a bunch of levels in a row and use whatever gear you find in them, replacing weapons with new found weapons as their ammo runs low. I found that a lot more approachable, personally.

I think I remember someone saying that the devs had made major progress on the framerate issues. I'd say it's worth checking out if you like twin-stick shooters.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

victrix posted:

I haven't had issues with frame rate but I can definitely echo TooMuchAbstraction's thing about being convinced by the game to take on suicide missions.

Cryptark is honestly one of my favorite games I've played this year, possibly the best roguelite I've played (up there with Spelunky and Nuclear Throne). It does an incredible job of actually making it feel like you're a scavenger selectively picking apart the space hulks you're in, and pretty much every aspect of the gameplay (in the non-endless mode) reinforces that feeling. You look over a map, combing for research points and important modules, pick a point of entry or two or three, and go in and hope you don't get absolutely destroyed by some unforeseen thing while you do surgery on a giant space ship. And then you get destroyed when you get too close to a module filled with tiny baby skeleton monsters that rip you apart because you've got a nuke launcher with no ammo and a sniper rifle.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

superh posted:

I am obligated by Programmer Law to mention that Deathstate is half off on the summer Steam sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/402120/

I had never heard of this game before, but the reviews and your endorsement convinced me to pick it up. We'll see how it goes, but it looks pretty sweet. I loved Nuclear Throne and a number of the reviews also mentioned that they loved Nuclear Throne, so hey why not.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I know I keep saying this but Deathstate is super good and cool. I finally finished a max desolation run a few weeks ago, which was sort of satisfying but also made me feel pretty silly. I'd been assuming it went up to 4, and over the course of the past few months I've thrown away at least three runs that would have been easy wins looking for an altar in the final area. Oops.

Eye is still the coolest.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i am surprisingly bad at deathstate for not even having to aim but it is a cool game

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

superh posted:

I've been plugging away at a "new" roguelike prototype these last few weeks.

(It's actually based on an old, old project of mine.)

Brainstorming world generation now. I want to give the world a bit more of an organic feel than Deathstate. Anybody have some hot tips on any algorithms that I just have to look at?

I really like that aesthetic. Reminds me of the first two xcom games.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Procedural FPS? Procedural FPS.

http://www.gibhard.com/

http://i.imgur.com/VJRq4fA.webm

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I thought this was Strafe for a second. Might be worth keeping an eye on it. Thanks :)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do want.

Oh man, that looks so Doomlike, with a bit of Serious Sam and a nice modern flair to it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That looks pretty nice.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Deathstate is real good y'all. Made it to the last (?) boss on my first game, died, unlocked 3842 things. I think including new levels too? I'm guessing that's not remotely the real last boss either, the first three stages were pretty kid gloves.

The atmosphere is really weird and creepy in a good way, the music is cool. The controls are nice, it's a one stick shooter. It's neat not having to worry about having to aim, and it actually has gameplay implications you might not think of at first - because your weapons auto target nearby enemies, you have to be aware of how tough the enemies rushing you are, or you get into trouble while your autofire is occupied in one direction and you get mobbed from another.

Entered forbidden portal as cute girl with infused psychic power, gradually transformed into hellfire flinging fleshy abomination wielding eldritch artifacts, 10/10 would mutate horribly again.

(most of the potions I picked up were lovely, confirmed proper roguelike)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

victrix posted:

Entered forbidden portal as cute girl with infused psychic power, gradually transformed into hellfire flinging fleshy abomination wielding eldritch artifacts, 10/10 would mutate horribly again.
I would do unholy things for a Kill Six Billion Demons roguelike.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:toot: Beat it, I guess that was the last boss :v:

Played pumpkin, found double laser book, later found laser+ artifact, then found laser sword. Pew pew pew.

... and unlocked a bunch more stuff, then checked achievements and yeah, there are much, much harder challenges than just beating it 'normally'.

It'd be nice if the two activated artifacts had different audio cues when they triggered. Likewise if one slot was pink and one blue and there was a pink/blue flare (or whatever) near your dude when they triggered.

The aesthetic is really killer, just a funky cool atmosphere. You know, for void horror.

(oh and gently caress that bug level :mad:)

victrix fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 24, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

victrix posted:

It's neat not having to worry about having to aim

Okay, NOW I'm listening.

Poison Mushroom posted:

____________/

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Picked up Sword of the Stars: The Pit, Dungeon of the Endless and Dungeons of Dredmor on the steam sale. Considering Tales of Maj'Eyal. Any opinions on which one to jump into first?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Meridian posted:

Picked up Sword of the Stars: The Pit, Dungeon of the Endless and Dungeons of Dredmor on the steam sale. Considering Tales of Maj'Eyal. Any opinions on which one to jump into first?

DotE is really drat cool and has some neat ideas. ToME is stat overload, and class customization can be a bit overwhelming, but it has shitloads of weirdly cool classes. Dredmor... I'm not the best person to ask about that, I like Dungeonmans better in basically every way :v:

The Pit is a pit. Looks nice, plays clean, but has some wildly unfriendly crafting and gameplay mechanics unless they've massively patched it since I last tried it.

I'd vote Dungeon with a friend (co-op!), or Tales, they both do some cool stuff.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

victrix posted:

DotE is really drat cool and has some neat ideas. ToME is stat overload, and class customization can be a bit overwhelming, but it has shitloads of weirdly cool classes. Dredmor... I'm not the best person to ask about that, I like Dungeonmans better in basically every way :v:

The Pit is a pit. Looks nice, plays clean, but has some wildly unfriendly crafting and gameplay mechanics unless they've massively patched it since I last tried it.

I'd vote Dungeon with a friend (co-op!), or Tales, they both do some cool stuff.

I like Amplitude a lot so figured I should pick it up. DotE does look really awesome, I was leaning toward it.

Any others I should keep my eye out for?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Meridian posted:

I like Amplitude a lot so figured I should pick it up. DotE does look really awesome, I was leaning toward it.

Any others I should keep my eye out for?

One Way Heroics (plus now I think, same price I believe)
Dungeonmans
Sproggiwood
Caves of Qud

Uhh... I think that's all the major ones on Steam I can think of? I can't recommend Adom in good conscience.

Since it looks like you're stocking the gently caress up on core roguelikes, those first three are all super newbie friendly if that's a concern for you. Qud isn't quite as much, but it's not wildly unapproachable either (Sproggiwood and Qud are made by the same dev, compare their tone and theme for a study in contrasts :v:)

The list of rogue-lites is a mile long, you'd be better served just browsing the rogue-like tag on Steam and asking about specific titles that catch your eye (Darkest Dungeon, FTL, a million binding of isaac-ish games, weird/cool poo poo like Thea or Duskers, etcetc).

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Haha Sprogiwood is to Qud as fresh lemonade is to a peaty scotch.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

This is on the edge of masterstroke territory

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I appreciate the feedback. Aside from Isaac and FTL it isn't a genre I have really delved into too much. Always been interested though.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Meridian posted:

I'm one of those weirdos who really loves Dreadmor. It was the first RL I tried (alongside Brogue) and it's my 2nd most-played game on Steam. I haven't beaten it. The interface in general is not great but you'll work around the quirks. I'd start here, take it slow and look at everything. Play with: a beer.

Dungeon of the Endless is just fantastic, inside and out. It's a hair more stressful/strategic than your average RL and certainly moreso than Dredmor, but it's worth all of your time. The character synergies, the light tower defense elements, the mad dash to the exit with they crystal...this is a loving Video Game. Play with: a nice scotch.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. I found it okay enough. Interesting concepts marred by goofy crafting and over-reliance on RNG. Play with: long island ice tea because it'll numb some of the pain.

ToME: Oodles of content, cool guy developer, big community, just solid all around. I wouldn't hesitate picking it up.

e: I took way too long typing this out and I also mentioned scotch. Why am I doing this while hungover? :(

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

spider wisdom posted:

I'm one of those weirdos who really loves Dreadmor. It was the first RL I tried (alongside Brogue) and it's my 2nd most-played game on Steam. I haven't beaten it. The interface in general is not great but you'll work around the quirks. I'd start here, take it slow and look at everything. Play with: a beer.

Dungeon of the Endless is just fantastic, inside and out. It's a hair more stressful/strategic than your average RL and certainly moreso than Dredmor, but it's worth all of your time. The character synergies, the light tower defense elements, the mad dash to the exit with they crystal...this is a loving Video Game. Play with: a nice scotch.

Sword of the Stars: The Pit. I found it okay enough. Interesting concepts marred by goofy crafting and over-reliance on RNG. Play with: long island ice tea because it'll numb some of the pain.

ToME: Oodles of content, cool guy developer, big community, just solid all around. I wouldn't hesitate picking it up.

e: I took way too long typing this out and I also mentioned scotch. Why am I doing this while hungover? :(

Is Dredmor not particularly liked? Always see it mentioned when the genre comes up so figured I should grab it. Not crazy about the art style, but that is hardly the main selling point for these types of games.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

I appreciate the feedback. Aside from Isaac and FTL it isn't a genre I have really delved into too much. Always been interested though.

I've heard great things about Towerclimb. If you want to try FPS roguelites, they're mostly not great but Ziggurat and Tower of Guns are the best-reviewed of the bunch that I'm aware of. Rogue Legacy is a decent platformer, if a bit shallow. Some people rave about Risk of Rain; personally I kind of bounced off of it. Nuclear Throne (getting kind of far from roguelike here, but it's definitely a procedural death arena!) is an amazing haze of constant violence and by far the best "twin-stick shooter" I've ever played (best played with mouse+keyboard though).

Meridian posted:

Is Dredmor not particularly liked? Always see it mentioned when the genre comes up so figured I should grab it. Not crazy about the art style, but that is hardly the main selling point for these types of games.

Dredmor is liked for having introduced roguelikes to the broader population, but it has substantial UI problems and pretty shallow gameplay (combat is mostly just bump-attacking, all monsters are broadly similar). I'd say it's definitely worth picking up and playing through once or twice. Its character customization system is still the best I've ever seen in a "mainstream" roguelike (you pick a selection of skill trees instead of a class/race, basically mix&matching your abilities), and there are some reasonably funny jokes in there. Definitely play on No Time To Grind though; the levels are much too big otherwise.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

A good analogy.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Meridian posted:

I am one of the very few in this thread who actually likes the Pit and even I think there are some major flaws. For more details take a look at my post history in this thread.

Meridian posted:

Take a look at Invisible Inc. Stealth-heist turn based cyberpunk game. Procedurally generated levels/missions. Base plus expansion is less than $9.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/

Along with Darkest Dungeon as a "rogue-lite" I also recommend looking at:

-NEO Scavenger http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/

The combat is pick-your-move type and not exciting. But the survival, exploration and mods are fantastic. Not to everyone's taste

-Renowned Explorers + Expansion

http://store.steampowered.com/app/296970/

I just find this game a light hearted lot of fun when played on easy. The combat system has good depth. Exploration has significant replayability.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Did you know the creator has been working on a Kill Six Billion Demons RPG?

http://killsixbilliondemons.com/ksbd-rpg/

----

For people who like Qud, post apocalyptic settings or mutants

Mutant Craw Classics RPG by the designers of the OSR old school meatgrinder dungeon RPG Dungeon Crawl Classics.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1409961192/mutant-crawl-classics-rpg-mcc-rpg

quote:

Triumph & Technology Won by Mutants & Magic

You’re no zero. You’re a wasteland wanderer: a mutant, a seeker, a robot-killer, a stoic shaman guarding forgotten ancient sciences. You seek triumph and technology, winning it with mutations and magic, soaked in the radiation and quantum fields of the mutated, the savage, the semi-sentient, and the artificially intelligent. There are treasures to be won in the taboo lands and ruins, and you shall have them.

Return to the glory days of science fiction gaming with the Mutant Crawl Classics Role Playing Game. Adventure like it’s 1978 again, with modern rules grounded in the origins of post-apocalyptic role playing. Fast play, a mysterious future, and 100% compatibility with the DCC RPG system await you — just activate your artifact...

Mutant Crawl Classics (MCC RPG) is a stand-alone setting that applies the DCC RPG rules to a post-apocalyptic setting. You'll love MCC if you like Gamma World, Metamorphosis Alpha, or DCC RPG. You don't need to own DCC to play MCC.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 24, 2016

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dredmor is liked for having introduced roguelikes to the broader population, but it has substantial UI problems and pretty shallow gameplay (combat is mostly just bump-attacking, all monsters are broadly similar). I'd say it's definitely worth picking up and playing through once or twice. Its character customization system is still the best I've ever seen in a "mainstream" roguelike (you pick a selection of skill trees instead of a class/race, basically mix&matching your abilities), and there are some reasonably funny jokes in there. Definitely play on No Time To Grind though; the levels are much too big otherwise.

Also hit '+' once or twice. Them animations are terribly slow.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Zaodai posted:

I had never heard of this game before, but the reviews and your endorsement convinced me to pick it up. We'll see how it goes, but it looks pretty sweet. I loved Nuclear Throne and a number of the reviews also mentioned that they loved Nuclear Throne, so hey why not.

Full disclosure: I'm the lead dev on Deathstate. Thank you!!

victrix posted:

It'd be nice if the two activated artifacts had different audio cues when they triggered. Likewise if one slot was pink and one blue and there was a pink/blue flare (or whatever) near your dude when they triggered.

This is a great idea!

victrix posted:

(oh and gently caress that bug level :mad:)

And, you're welcome, haha.

This looks super fun!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Meridian posted:

If you like Isaac-likes, check out the early-release title NeuroVoider. I bought it because of this thread, and other than my inability to kill bosses, no regrets.

EDIT: Also, no insult to any of the devs here, but NV's music is amazing in sort of an 80's action film fashion.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 24, 2016

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah, I've been having a lot of fun with Deathstate. I keep misjudging the hitbox though, I'll have to turn that option on in the options menu. Haven't gotten past the third area after five or so, which is shameful for someone who made it to the fourth stage of Enter The Gungeon. I agree, the bug area is such a pain in the rear end!

Also unrelated, but finished Wasted a few days ago. A really solid first person roguelike I feel, and while towards the end of the game it kind of lacks for weapon/enemy variety, it's still good fun! It's one of those games that I feel would really benefit from some DLC/expansion packs since the base game is pretty solid.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Seconding wasted having some variety adding DLC, or an expansion that takes place in the post apocalyptic 90's with pogs for currency that happens after the ending.

I'm a bit flustered with it because on my second run through to get the ending achievements I got a slienced lubbed emma grand from the courier run and then wasted it 10 minutes later on the first cooler. Arrrrgh!

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Seconding wasted having some variety adding DLC, or an expansion that takes place in the post apocalyptic 90's with pogs for currency that happens after the ending.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm hoping for too. The push towards getting a shippable, completable game meant a lot of stuff had to be "streamlined" (someday, I might share the game's GDD, which is almost hilarious in its ambition). Both the Queen Bee and mutated-Alistair were going to be their own end-level bosses, which is not even to mention post apocalyptic Seaworld and a run-in with the Strangers from the East (who were gonna be a wink-wink-nudge-nudge version of the Desert Rangers).

Still, I am pretty happy with how the game turned out -- given that it was pushed back a whole year and that the core dev team was kinda just me, I'm seeing people spending 20-40 hours on a playthrough, which is incredible considering the kind of games I'm used to making.

So far, Adult Swim Games seems really, really keen on doing some substantial post-release content, but if that all falls through, there are still at least a few quests that are written and voiced but not yet implemented in the game that I could squeeze in. Also simple stuff like new new weapons and new Buzzes/Hangovers and more room layouts, especially in the later Coolers where I ran out of time, which I'm gonna try to get in as just regular ol' free updates.

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 24, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

superh posted:

Full disclosure: I'm the lead dev on Deathstate. Thank you!!

I've only had a chance to play maybe 5 runs so far, but I find the color scheme to heavily impact my ability to play. I know that's something that varies from person to person, but the bright pink player shots draw my attention far more than the tiny green enemy shots, especially if those light green shots are against one of the bright blue backgrounds, or you're on a level that has that sweeping bar of inverted color, etc.

It makes it hard to keep track of the enemy shots when stuff is coming in from off the edge of the screen, or from like 8 different directions. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

victrix posted:

It's neat not having to worry about having to aim

This sold me on the game! This right here! I've played a few runs now and I really like Deathstate, it's absolutely fantastic. I love the aesthetic, the gameplay, the swords you can find...

But I must nitpick.

Unless you're deliberately misspelling it, I'm pretty sure protege is not spelled protoge.