Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Squizzle posted:

Well forum friends, there is a great issue confronting the comic books. That issue is: How will :siren:BREXIT:siren: affect Captain Britain's many super powers? Will his Energy Projection be negatively affected? Can he now lift (press) fewer tens of tons? Does he gain eye lazors that only hurt brown or Slavic people?

I'm sure his status of "appearing nowhere" will continue on unbroken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If any of you guys live in the UK rip

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Well forum friends, there is a great issue confronting the comic books. That issue is: How will :siren:BREXIT:siren: affect Captain Britain's many super powers? Will his Energy Projection be negatively affected? Can he now lift (press) fewer tens of tons? Does he gain eye lazors that only hurt brown or Slavic people?

It turns out despite what everyone was told his relative power output would remain the same, and possibly even increase.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Squizzle posted:

The white male Captain Britain will be taken out back and shot. Slowly all references to Brian Braddock ever being Captain Britain will be erased, and Faiza Hussain will have always been Captain Britain. The final step is Psylocke realizing she's actually Faiza's sister and was always Betsy Hussain.

They did it to Captain America, Brexit will remind Marvel it's Britain's turn.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That unfunny joke reminded me of how we'll probably never see Nightrunner at DC, even if they remembered how stupid they are for not using Batman Inc.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Lol if you think American tv is going to adapt a story with a largely native cast. Although, I wished I lived in a world where that was possible
Hey, they can always do like Banshee and other shows do and just cast hispanic actors. Starring: hispanic guy who always plays a cop, generic hispanic gangster character actor #4, that lady from Ugly Betty, etc.

And real talk, they could probably cast some super famous white men as Agent Nitz and Diesel Engine and just have them be disproportionately prominent on posters and ads.

site posted:

If any of you guys live in the UK rip
:smith:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm too gutted and angry to care about comic books right now. It's a victory for ignorance, fear, and stupidity, and the ones who will feel it the most are the ones who loving voted for it.

Scotland, London, Norn Iron, Liverpool and Newcastle are cool, burn down the rest.

I mean, Wales! loving WALES! It's gotten more from the EU than it's ever put in, they've funded regeneration programmes while successive governments have left it (and the North) to loving rot.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm too gutted and angry to care about comic books right now. It's a victory for ignorance, fear, and stupidity, and the ones who will feel it the most are the ones who loving voted for it.

Scotland, London, Norn Iron, Liverpool and Newcastle are cool, burn down the rest.

I mean, Wales! loving WALES! It's gotten more from the EU than it's ever put in, they've funded regeneration programmes while successive governments have left it (and the North) to loving rot.

It is really funny Scotland is on that list.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Mr Hootington posted:

It is really funny Scotland is on that list.

Why wouldn't they be? They've wanted to stay in the EU all along, it was constantly getting lumbered with England's Conservative governments no one up there voted for that contributed strongly to a drive for independence. Which they'll press for even stronger now, and most likely get after this if a second referendum is held.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and now due to a clause in their last independence referendum, Scotland can hold another vote to leave the UK since they were removed from the EU by force

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Is Sinn Fein still taking about a reunification referendum, or did someone walk that back while I was asleep?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Alaois posted:

and now due to a clause in their last independence referendum, Scotland can hold another vote to leave the UK since they were removed from the EU by force

This is what makes it funny. Plus they stayed because they figured GB would stay EU.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've been having a killer headache contemplating the referendum and as much as I wanna avoid it as much as possible it's kind of frightening to think about, especially if it could be foreshadowing for November here in the US.

"Without a bullet being fired"....class act, the UKIP.

So! To answer the original question, goodbye Captain Britan, hello Captain Airstrip-One.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I've been having a killer headache contemplating the referendum and as much as I wanna avoid it as much as possible it's kind of frightening to think about, especially if it could be foreshadowing for November here in the US.

So! To answer the original question, goodbye Captain Britan, hello Captain Airstrip-One.

Don't worry about November. If you have any worries come to USPol aka the bestworst thread on SA.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Hootington posted:

Don't worry about November. If you have any worries come to USPol aka the bestworst thread on SA.

I didn't worry about November until the thing everyone said wasn't going to happen across the pond happened. :sigh: Thank god the New 52 is over because if the fantasy escapist world kept being as bleak as the real one we'd probably all :suicide:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

WickedHate posted:

I didn't worry about November until the thing everyone said wasn't going to happen across the pond happened. :sigh:
Hindsight Is 20:20 and all but the result wasn't incredibly out of line with what the polls were predicting.

This will probably ensure the conservative fuckwits win the election here in a week though.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I actually had to look this up, I didn't believe Farage could've really said it. Kind of a perfect political move, because his supporters will write off any criticism as political correctness and only make him more popular.

Oh wait, this isn't D&D, is it? Any comic authors respond to this yet? Ton of Brits out there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VagueRant posted:

I actually had to look this up, I didn't believe Farage could've really said it. Kind of a perfect political move, because his supporters will write off any criticism as political correctness and only make him more popular.

Oh wait, this isn't D&D, is it? Any comic authors respond to this yet? Ton of Brits out there.

I imagine Al Ewing's next Ultimates script is just incoherent screaming.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I didn't worry about November until the thing everyone said wasn't going to happen across the pond happened. :sigh: Thank god the New 52 is over because if the fantasy escapist world kept being as bleak as the real one we'd probably all :suicide:

Do not worry. Markets should stabilize in the US and Asia by the end of the week. It will hurt the US a bit but it shouldn't cause a global recession. Plus it is nearly impossible for Trump to win. Has this increased his chances? Yes, but we would need a recession, Clinton to die or be arrested, or a 9/11 type terrorist attack for him to win.

VagueRant posted:

It is general chat so why not? :shrug:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

VagueRant posted:

I was reading along as Warren Ellis live tweeted the votes coming in, was a good way to experience the whole thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Guys, I just finished reading Scalped and my body feels post-coital right now, holy poo poo. It was like Breaking Bad and Banshee had a baby that matched the peaks of both of those shows. And I'm not sure I've seen any TV show or even a novel stick the landing so perfectly. That climax delivered on EVERYTHING.

I'm legit angry that a) not everyone has read it (I only heard of it because some guys on a podcast I listened to years ago heavily recommended it) , and b) it wasn't adapted into a TV show four years ago because seriously what the gently caress. The SECOND a screenwriter finished volume 6, it should have been pitched so hard it went into space.

I was meaning to finally check out Saga to see what all the fuss was about, but it just got bumped by Southern Bastards because Jason Aaron is clearly a mad genius.

Scalped absolutely slays and Southern Bastards is an excellent spiritual successor to it.

When Scalped came out were there a lot of Native American activists mad about a white guy writing about a corrupt Indian reservation?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kieron Gillen wrote some initial thoughts here.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The financial drop is basically this sketch IRL. I know it affects everyone but taking comfort in assholes getting hosed as much or more than they gently caress up the world is one of the only ways I have to cope with this sort of thing and why I read the Schadenfreude thread in PYF so much.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I know it's hosed up but I take some cold comfort in knowing that our sister country across the pond is as stupid or stupider than us actually giving a loving reality tv show star a legitimate shot at the highest office in the land. Schadenfreude's a real bitch.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

I know it's hosed up but I take some cold comfort in knowing that our sister country across the pond is as stupid or stupider than us actually giving a loving reality tv show star a legitimate shot at the highest office in the land. Schadenfreude's a real bitch.

Eh, a reality TV star being nominated for President isn't any crazier than an actor having already been President, or a Saturday Night Live star being a Senator, or not one but TWO stars of the movie Predator being governors.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The idea that leaving the EU could possibly lead to a good chuck of the UK also breaking up is just astonishing. Go Scotland Go!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Gonna have to change the name to "the K".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Die Laughing posted:

That unfunny joke reminded me of how we'll probably never see Nightrunner at DC, even if they remembered how stupid they are for not using Batman Inc.

The big problem with Batman, Incorporated was how boring all the alternate Batmans were. The only ones I really liked were Knight and Squire, or rather Beryl's Knight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toxxupation posted:

The big problem with Batman, Incorporated was how boring all the alternate Batmans were. The only ones I really liked were Knight and Squire, or rather Beryl's Knight.

I thought the Native American ones were pretty good. Lots of the others were just Morrison throwing around ideas with a vague hope that someone might do something with them (see The Multiversity, Seven Soldiers, New X-Men, etc).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Are there any comics where the baby boomers are the villains, like they are in real life?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the Native American ones were pretty good. Lots of the others were just Morrison throwing around ideas with a vague hope that someone might do something with them (see The Multiversity, Seven Soldiers, New X-Men, etc).

I thought the idea for Man-of-Bats and Red Raven was a good one, but one that was executed in the greyest and dullest way possible, just like how most of Batman, Inc itself is the least interesting possible take on what a community of Batmen would mean.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Grant Morrison's Batman sucked because it tried making funny Silver Age stuff gritty and realistic to "explain" how they fit into canon, which seems like the opposite of his normal shtick. I'm not a huge fan of the Silver Age but Batman imagining fighting a rainbow monster in an isolation induced psychotic break is dumber than Batman fighting a rainbow monster.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Are there any comics where the baby boomers are the villains, like they are in real life?
I was gonna say Prez, but given that's set in the near future, the establishment are probably Gen Xers.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

Man-of-Bats, with his own museum and his keeping things in line in his small, sad, neglected corner of the world was the best, sorry.

Beryl is always a delight, though, especially in GMozz's JLA Classified arc.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WickedHate posted:

Grant Morrison's Batman sucked because it tried making funny Silver Age stuff gritty and realistic to "explain" how they fit into canon, which seems like the opposite of his normal shtick. I'm not a huge fan of the Silver Age but Batman imagining fighting a rainbow monster in an isolation induced psychotic break is dumber than Batman fighting a rainbow monster.

Actually Batman R.I.P. is one of the best Batman stories of all time???

And there's a bunch of lightness to it, too. Batman and Robin is just awesome Batman poo poo with the best Batman and the best Robin before ROBW ties in, and even after is pretty much just Dick and Damian beatin' on dudes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Endless Mike posted:

I was gonna say Prez, but given that's set in the near future, the establishment are probably Gen Xers.
It's still the right answer.

Prez #2 in particular should only be read while wearing protective gloves, because every page is just packed with satire that is razor sharp and wants to cut.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Not being devoid of levity doesn't mean something isn't stupidly dark. But I've long since accepted I'm in the minority on Morrison's Batman, and I'd probably like it better if I took to Damian like most readers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madkal posted:

Everything by DC.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
All those classic comics are actually macabre as gently caress, Morrison doesn't really make them gritty or realistic.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

It turns out despite what everyone was told his relative power output would remain the same, and possibly even increase.
I think you might want to amend your estimate.

• Locked thread