Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Rabbit Hill posted:

Why do I always wake up right before the best part of a dream? Why?

Last night I had this enormous dream that culminated in me standing on a riverbank where Heaven was on the other side. In the dream, I stepped forward to enter the river, and IRL I was lying on my side and rolled forward with the same motion as in my dream, and of course I woke up. :arghfist:

Heaven looked so cool, too -- like Iceland or the Scottish Highlands, very remote and wild rocky terrain covered with vibrant green plant life.

Not trying to be mean/talking directly to you, but one of my "peeves" this reminds me of is: people who describe their dreams to me in person. 9 times out of 10 it's just some rambling thing where every sentence ends with "for some reason" (or similar) and it's very obvious they are filling in the gaps they can't remember with really cool sounding/wacky stuff if they feel they are losing your attention. It always leads to someone butting in and sharing their wackier and wilder dream, someone says "that's cool...i can never remember my dreams", and then someone who describes a boring, standard sleep paralysis experience insisting that no, he really DID get abducted by demon aliens or whatever, and so on until the entire group has weighed in on loving dreams. Dreams are boring to everyone but the story teller, leave them in your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't understand dream chat either. I get really tired of the blank looks as they try to summon up another "and then" in a non-climactic, directionless narrative. Dreams are neuron monkeys at engram typewriters; write them down for your own future reminiscence but don't torture others.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
It's like retelling a funny anecdote to people who weren't there, except 'You really just had to be there to get it', sounds extra stupid.

Pet peeve of the day: My landlord raising my rent because of work she had to put into the septic system, which was revealed to have been DIY installed completely wrong. 'Sure, I'll pay for your dumb mistake, lady! I'm made of money!'

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Brawnfire posted:

I don't understand dream chat either. I get really tired of the blank looks as they try to summon up another "and then" in a non-climactic, directionless narrative. Dreams are neuron monkeys at engram typewriters; write them down for your own future reminiscence but don't torture others.

I post my dreams on Facebook. People who aren't interested can easily scroll past, people who are interested can read, and I can get it out of my system. It's win-win-win.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

YeahTubaMike posted:

I post my dreams on Facebook. Literally everyone will easily scroll past, because that is seriously the most narcissistic and stupid thing anyone has done since breakfast photography.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

I post my dreams on Facebook. People who aren't interested can easily scroll past, people who are interested can read, and I can get it out of my system. It's win-win-win.

I'm sure the people you think are scrolling past have actually hidden you from their feed a long time ago. I'd rather see my dad's trump posts and minion memes.

e: also I've never seen anyone who could even act genuinely interested in a dream retelling unless they were a) just being polite and waiting for a pause so they can one-up you with theirs or b) trying to get into the dream-tellers pants.

e2: vvv we have been talking about people who share it. Nobody cares what you write in your journal. If you went around showing friends and family your dream journal, then you would be annoying, to me.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 16:29 on Jun 24, 2016

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I keep a dream diary for writing inspiration :shrug:

Pet peeve: nerds soiling themselves over the Steam sale.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Because if you don't wake up during it you won't remember it, and the bit that was about to happen didn't have a chance to be ruined by whatever nonsense would actually have happened so you're free to imagine how great it might have been.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm sure the people you think are scrolling past have actually hidden you from their feed a long time ago. I'd rather see my dad's trump posts and minion memes.

e: also I've never seen anyone who could even act genuinely interested in a dream retelling unless they were a) just being polite and waiting for a pause so they can one-up you with theirs or b) trying to get into the dream-tellers pants.

e2: vvv we have been talking about people who share it. Nobody cares what you write in your journal. If you went around showing friends and family your dream journal, then you would be annoying, to me.

Martin Luther King should have shut the gently caress up imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

MLK: I have a dream

MBB: Ughh no one cares, release it as a minion post idiot

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Annoying job advert demand #341

"Must have good sense of humour."

WTF?! How the hell is that fair? It's subjective, unnecessary for job performance, and how the hell would you attest to that in an application? Then there's the possibility that your humour simply isn't suitable for the workplace.

Rabbit Hill posted:

This also happens if you are awoken by an external noise so maybe it's just something to do with how the brain works.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I read that as "Must be willing to tolerate racist and / or sexist jokes"

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

pussy riot police posted:

Hmm....there's a thought. I always interpret it as enjoying crappy, sanitised workplace humour or something.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

MLK: I have a dream

MBB: Ughh no one cares, release it as a minion post idiot

I laughed, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to an actual dream, like one he had while he was asleep. Those are the bad annoying ones.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

pussy riot police posted:

Depending on where you live, this is probably what it means. I bet you he has some really bad meme posted on his door that says "If you don't like what I say, THAN YOU CAN gently caress RIGHT OFF", because all good managers know their position is actually that of tyrannical ruler of the workplace, not lowly peon telling other lowly peons what to do.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Murphy Brownback posted:

This is completely fine.

edit: also

YeahTubaMike posted:

Along the same lines, people who don't understand that it's okay to post about uninteresting poo poo on social media. I find that these people come in one of the following varieties:

1) person who wrongly feels entitled to likes on all their uninteresting poo poo
2) person who wrongly feels entitled to tell other people what to post
3) person who passive-aggressively complains about people's posts instead of just unfollowing them

Post and let post. Unfollow and let unfollow.

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Jun 24, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MisterBibs posted:

My pet peeve is people I know and have confided this about bitching about their seasonal allergies. I know I should be respectful and supportive, but part of my brain wants me to scream "gently caress you, you get sniffles for a few mouths out of the year, and you can pop a pill to clear most of it up. I can't have something I've wanted since I was five because I will literally have to go to the hospital if I hug a dog that just wants to say hi. No, my inhaler doesn't solve it."

I hate people who don't "get" allergies and think everything, regardless of severity, can be fixed with a pill, inhaler, nose spray or eye drops. Motherfucker, when I'm out to eat with family and my mom says "no seafood, I'm allergic", it doesn't mean give her a smartass attitude because her food needs to be prepped separate from seafood dishes. She could literally die within minutes and has been hospitalized more than once from food cross-contamination, most recent being a couple years ago when a restaurant cooked her chicken dish in the same pan as one they used for shrimp and oysters, without cleaning it first. Same goes for assholes who assume someone is using an allergy as an excuse to not eat something - I've had that happen with friends and family too, the whole "oh you're not allergic you're just being stubborn" garbage that makes me want to murder someone on the spot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Same goes for assholes who assume someone is using an allergy as an excuse to not eat something - I've had that happen with friends and family too, the whole "oh you're not allergic you're just being stubborn" garbage that makes me want to murder someone on the spot.

I blame this attitude entirely on assholes who give "picky eaters" a hard time and make people think they need a stronger excuse than "I don't care for X and would rather eat something else". (Likely those self-same assholes).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

I blame this attitude entirely on assholes who give "picky eaters" a hard time and make people think they need a stronger excuse than "I don't care for X and would rather eat something else". (Likely those self-same assholes).

I've only started to give these types like my father a hard time because they come to visit me and tell me to order a bowl of iceburg lettuce with no dressing or anything else as the salad and I'm like "I have no loving idea how to say that in German, just order off the menu with no changes, you'll live". This of course makes me an insensitive prick in the eyes of the picky eaters of the world. If you go to another country with your weird preferences, at least learn how to ask for it in the local language instead of demanding i translate for you.

e: vvv trust me, my dad has no valid medical reason to be picky. He just tells waiters if tomatoes or cheese touch his food he'll die, etc. There is a big difference between a baby picky eater and someone with a food allergy.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Jun 24, 2016

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I know me, my dad and several other celiacs have been "glutened" while ordering off gf menus so restaurants lying about their food standards/ letting them slip because they think it doesn't matter is a pet peeve here too.

I guess picky eaters lying about allergies is bad too but it doesn't make me vomit and poo poo myself so.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sense of humour probably means 'is willing to fake a smile to fit in with the team even if it's a monday morning and you want to sulk'.

One weird trick that goons hate!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

docbeard posted:

I work/have worked in restaurants and the amount of kitchen employees who just lose their loving minds every time someone goes, "No tomatoes, please" is amazing. I feel oddly gleeful when one of my regulars comes in and orders the weirdest modded dish ever, aside from the fact that he tips well and is nice (pastrami sandwich, all ingredients must be separate including bread, with a side of cocktail sausages instead of fries). Like, who cares? Unless the dish is impossible (like my favourite, "Rare steak with no blood"), or would make the dish inedible, who gives a gently caress? Most of the time modded food is like, "Extra mustard" or something really easy.

Content: Forgetting something at home and being just far enough away that it'd be too much of a hassle to go home and get it.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
People for whom it is apparently necessary to be audibly startled at the sight of a person doing non-routine maintenance in their building.
I can understand (but still find it slightly annoying) if you didn't expect to see somebody on a ladder half in the drop ceiling 4 feet from the door you opened and you let out a little shriek. But if I'm halfway down a hallway that usually has people in it anyway and i'm just replacing a lightbulb I know I did not startle you in any way that requires you to make noise. And I know the building manager emailed everyone in the building telling them I would be here doing this thing. And I meant people, not one person; multiple peopel do this in multiple buildings where i work.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

When someone takes up a swimming lane by just sitting at the end stretching for ages doing an occasional length. There's the whole rest of the pool if that's all you're going to do.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Jun 25, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Brawnfire posted:

I always want to tell people my dreams. But then I remember a friend of mine who always told me their dreams and it made me want to slit my wrists.

Now I just say, "Wow. That was a weird dream." and I leave it at that. If questioned I just say the bare minimum. "A vampire deer ate my leg and I turned into a Civil War soldier." Keep it simple, no-one wants to hear it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I hate people who don't "get" allergies and think everything, regardless of severity, can be fixed with a pill, inhaler, nose spray or eye drops.

Just so we're on the same page, the people I get annoyed by who complain about their allergies are ones that can be fixed with a pill. They take that and their annoying allergies turn to "Oh, I have the sniffles, kinda".

cash crab posted:

all ingredients must be separate including bread

As a former kitchen worker myself, this would piss me off. There's "no tomatoes", and there's this poo poo.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

MisterBibs posted:

As a former kitchen worker myself, this would piss me off. There's "no tomatoes", and there's this poo poo.

Our pastrami sandwich is just pastrami and rye, weighed at 9oz. So, instead of putting the pastrami on the rye, they're just put next to each other. The busboy then leaves packs of mustard on the side. I guess it was a little flamboyant to use the word "all", suggesting there were more than two steps to this sandwich.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

Our pastrami sandwich is just pastrami and rye, weighed at 9oz. So, instead of putting the pastrami on the rye, they're just put next to each other. The busboy then leaves packs of mustard on the side. I guess it was a little flamboyant to use the word "all", suggesting there were more than two steps to this sandwich.

Even if it was more, isn't that order basically "get out the ingredients for this sandwich, and then just stop, you're done." That's less work than normal and involves no extra steps.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

For some reason that made me think of another pet peeve of mine: my aunt.

No matter what restaurant we go to, she asks for a bowl of plain white rice with butter. Graduation party at Red Robin's? Bowl of rice, butter. Trendy bistro? Butter, rice, bowl. Greasy spoon diner? Well, you better bet your rear end she's orderin' the rice & butter.

One time she got a bowl of white rice and butter at a cafe that I didn't even know served rice. I thought they just had sandwiches and salads, but there she had a bowl of steaming white rice with butter.

Edit: Y'know what, speaking of my aunts... I have another pet peeve. People who don't go to the doctor.

My one aunt avoided going to the doctor for her arthritis symptoms for so long that she got gangrene and had to have fingers amputated. THEN she avoided going to the doctor for so long AGAIN that a resulting infection (probably from not taking her pills) killed her. So, my grandma got to bury her first daughter because she didn't like going to the doctor.

I lost a tooth during a period of intense financial struggle, and am pissed off that anyone would choose to not use a resource that they have free access to. Have some goddamn respect for your privileges.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Jun 25, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Technically, rare steak comes with no blood :goonsay:

We have a customer who comes into the pizza place I work at. This really nice old lady with a metal amputee prosthetic and a hook for an arm. She always orders a large Hawaiian pizza. Our hawaiian comes with ham and pineapple. She orders no cheese, no ham,extra pineapples. It's literally a piece of dough with sauce and a mountain of pineapples sitting on it, but she comes in every week, like clockwork to order it. And she always, always fucks me up because I never read the receipt and just assume the customer is ordering regular old Hawaiian pizza.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

EmmyOk posted:

When someone takes up a swimming lane by just sitting at the end stretching for ages doing an occasional length. There's the whole rest of the pool if that's all you're going to do.

Yes! Also: the kid getting a private lesson who takes up half the pool.

Computer-peeve: learn my email address and just autocomplete it, Chrome! I'm not talking about forms, but in general (email bodies, PMs, etc), I shouldn't have to type that all out. Goddamn.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Rabbit Hill posted:

Heaven looked so cool, too -- like Iceland or the Scottish Highlands, very remote and wild rocky terrain covered with vibrant green plant life.

Cold, damp, windy and teeming with blood-crazed midges?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

MisterBibs posted:

Just so we're on the same page, the people I get annoyed by who complain about their allergies are ones that can be fixed with a pill.

Every summer my wife complains about itchy eyes and sneezing.
:) You have hay fever, take a pill.
:j: What? No, I don't have that, it must be something else.
:) Take this pill.
:j: Oh, I feel much better now.
[repeat annually]

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Whenever a spider gets in my apartment I can't stand it. It's not arachnophobia, I can take care of them myself, it's just really unpleasant. I think it's because of the way they move, they're really fast and completely silent, which is jarring when you see them scuttle, especially trying to catch one that's particularly tenacious.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

For some reason that made me think of another pet peeve of mine: my aunt.

No matter what restaurant we go to, she asks for a bowl of plain white rice with butter. Graduation party at Red Robin's? Bowl of rice, butter. Trendy bistro? Butter, rice, bowl. Greasy spoon diner? Well, you better bet your rear end she's orderin' the rice & butter.

One time she got a bowl of white rice and butter at a cafe that I didn't even know served rice. I thought they just had sandwiches and salads, but there she had a bowl of steaming white rice with butter.

Meet my aunt and her required restaurant drink: water, bowl of extra ice, bowl of lemons. Then she proceeds to make her own lemonade and leaves ten sugar packets and lemon rinds across the table.

There's lemonade on the menu.... :psyduck: Aunts. What the hell?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MisterBibs posted:

Just so we're on the same page, the people I get annoyed by who complain about their allergies are ones that can be fixed with a pill. They take that and their annoying allergies turn to "Oh, I have the sniffles, kinda"..

Yep, I was adding that those same folks tend to think a pill will fix everything, regardless of severity. They treat it like you're just being a pain or haven't gone to dozens of doctors to get diagnosed. Just a hand wave "oh take a pill and you can eat shellfish trust me" attitude about a possible life threatening issue.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
My mother always gets hot tea at restaurants. She then proceeds to request more hot water constantly. The teabag is now useless, but she still asks for more water. No lemon, no sugar, just water. She'll then make you sit for 15 minutes after everyone is done eating so she can "finish her tea". It is hell. I'm 38 year sold and I still can't get over it. You don't need to finish it! It's just hot water at this point.

Who orders hot tea with Mexican food? Honestly?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Verizon customer service. Their phone support and chat support idiots are useless and unhelpful.

Send out one angry tweet and suddenly you're their #1 customer and they're bending over backwards to help you within minutes. Maybe if they took some of those people whose job is to sit there monitoring the Twitter account and had them answer phones people wouldn't have to resort to public shaming to get service? Just a thought.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

People that dilly dally with their shopping carts in stores. You know the kind: slowly shuffling down the exact middle of each aisle so no one can pass them while resting their arms on the grab bar of the cart in a relaxed position. Oh look! They found something on the shelf! *parks cart sideways across the entire aisle while proceeding to read everything on the label for the next ten minutes*

GET THE HOLY MOTHERFUCK ASSBALLS OUT OF THE WAY!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Also stores who's aisles are too narrow for two carts to pass side by side. What the gently caress!? Maybe post signs what direction we're supposed to be travelling in or at least buy carts that are narrow enough to pass each other in the aisle! Granted, this doesn't happen often, but once was enough.