Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly who's supposed to be the aggressor here? Is Russia going to make a serious attempt at conquering Europe? Because from everything I've seen of their actions, Putin doesn't really have any outright suicidal plans and isn't a crazy genocidal one-ball like Hitler.

I can totally see Putin take a look at a divided EU, with anti-EU tendencies running high in several countries and decide that today is the day the Baltic states come back under the loving umbrella of mother Russia. All he needs is a Hitler-level "the west is totally bluffing" brainfart when the west actually isn't bluffing and then we are all in waist deep broccoli flavored yogurt.

But that is Clancy chat and has no place here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

ArchangeI posted:

I can totally see Putin take a look at a divided EU, with anti-EU tendencies running high in several countries and decide that today is the day the Baltic states come back under the loving umbrella of mother Russia. All he needs is a Hitler-level "the west is totally bluffing" brainfart when the west actually isn't bluffing and then we are all in waist deep broccoli flavored yogurt.

But that is Clancy chat and has no place here.

Somehow admitting countries with hundreds of thousands of ethic Russians made stateless after independence seems like a bad idea.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Am I going to have to stop reading this thread, like I stopped reading the Eastern Europe thread?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm pretty depressed at the whole thing, can Hey Gal just tell us the average gear a Barvarian Pikeman or Musketeer carried during campaign or something?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
This is just like when Milos tried to leave the Delian League. It will turn out fine, I'm sure.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm pretty depressed at the whole thing, can Hey Gal just tell us the average gear a Barvarian Pikeman or Musketeer carried during campaign or something?

Actually I'd like to know what amount of alcohol they consumed per/unit time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Disinterested posted:

Actually I'd like to know what amount of alcohol they consumed per/unit time.

Same but unironically (or, also unironically, depending on how ironic you were being)

Just exactly how drunk was everybody at all times in the past, and how high up the social ladder did the everdrunk climb? Were heads of state drunk all the time too?

I feel like people had to have been fairly loaded, on account of alcohol being safer to drink than water at many times in many places, but that's not a scholarly position of mine or anything.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

So in the past 2 weeks or so Britain has basically turned into 1930s Japan. I expect by this time next year they will be conducting a full scale invasion of Romania or something.

Sturgeon held a speech with the Scottish and EU-flags in the background. The British flag was missing.

All in all it looks more like that confusing time during the early days of Weimar, when entire parts of the German Empire broke apart and declared independence/got scammed by France into declaring independence. Just more peaceful, without Ex-WWI soldiers murdering their way through the cities to restore order.

But hey, maybe the UK gets lucky and avoids Northern Ireland and Scotland breaking away! Nothing is set in stone yet. Also I'm still laughing about Spain laying new claims on Gibraltar before the Brexit-vote was even over. :allears:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the 17th century here to remind you guys that things could always be worse
ok bye

also, is 16" too long for a dagger? i just got a dagger and i'm worried it's too long. should i return it and get a shorter one instead?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hegel, you have a problem. Are we going to need to stage an intervention? A... stabvention?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Distracting myself from the world going to hell, I'm playing HOI4.

And I'm wondering: Where would I find tables of organization for US divisions from WW2 and pre-war? Preferably going down to the battalion/company level. I figure a good way to learn the systems of the game is to try to build as-realistic-as-possible, then branch out into trying to do stuff "optimally".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Hegel, you have a problem. Are we going to need to stage an intervention? A... stabvention?
i am anxious about swords

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

ok bye

also, is 16" too long for a dagger? i just got a dagger and i'm worried it's too long. should i return it and get a shorter one instead?

Is 16" shorter or longer than 40cm? Wikipedia tells me daggers are commonly up to 40cm long.

Edit:

Also apparently a blade weapon has to be at least 20cm long or it doesn't count as a dagger. Interesting. Anyway, this made me look up Luristan, since there was a picture labeled "Luristan Dolch" and I was "What the hell is a Luristan?". There's apparently a province in Iran which made really neat bronze daggers. So that was a thing.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 24, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Libluini posted:

Is 16" shorter or longer than 40cm? Wikipedia tells me daggers are commonly up to 40cm long.

It is about 40cm as Wikipedia could tell you :sun:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Libluini posted:

i have no idea

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wish there was a way we could figure this out

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Spacewolf posted:

And I'm wondering: Where would I find tables of organization for US divisions from WW2 and pre-war? Preferably going down to the battalion/company level. I figure a good way to learn the systems of the game is to try to build as-realistic-as-possible, then branch out into trying to do stuff "optimally".

This website has a bunch, but I can't vouch for accuracy. http://www.militaryresearch.org/freebies.htm

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Ainsley McTree posted:

As of yesterday, 14 inches was 35.56 cm, but now imperial measurements are depreciating rapidly so it's hard to say.

HEY GAL posted:

ok bye

on the one hand things like this are reassuring-- think things are bad now, try living in a wwi trench-- but that cuts both ways (see, i'm keeping the daggertalk going here)-- history also shows us the infinite capacity of things to somehow get even worse

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

ok bye

I know you have probably fielded this question many times ITT to the point you should just make your sig the answer to it, but is there a good intro book into the 30 years war? I read gud and stuff but I know nothing about it.

Also for the thread, here's the best wisdom I could find from the Brexit thread:

quote:

brits are shooting themselves in the foot and then calling their ability to hobble around freedom

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

I know you have probably fielded this question many times ITT to the point you should just make your sig the answer to it, but is there a good intro book into the 30 years war?
wilson's europe's tragedy
also i know him now and he's cool

fyi everyone important's names either end in -stein or are some italian combination of random syllables so good luck keeping them straight

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ainsley McTree posted:

If only there was a way to learn more about the world.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

wilson's europe's tragedy
also i know him now and he's cool

fyi everyone important's names either end in -stein or are some italian combination of random syllables so good luck keeping them straight

I was trying my best with P-macks Taiping posts, and, hm, will hopefully do better, thanks

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Spacewolf posted:

http://www.niehorster.org/013_usa/__usa.htm

Also

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4013coll11/id/1277

By some guy who was most definitely in the spectrum.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I know you have probably fielded this question many times ITT to the point you should just make your sig the answer to it, but is there a good intro book into the 30 years war? I read gud and stuff but I know nothing about it.

Also for the thread, here's the best wisdom I could find from the Brexit thread:

My favorite so far is Britain aimed squarely at its foot and shot its balls off.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was trying my best with P-macks Taiping posts, and, hm, will hopefully do better, thanks

I can see why he was orignally going for the 'comedy nickname' angle with some of the people involved in that. I've already forgotten who's who and need a drat refresher.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Spacewolf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyQmhrVKsc0

Here you go, optimal setup is divisions of 20 width, usually 7 inf and 2 art however.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

wow the shots at tilly

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same but unironically (or, also unironically, depending on how ironic you were being)

Just exactly how drunk was everybody at all times in the past, and how high up the social ladder did the everdrunk climb? Were heads of state drunk all the time too?

I feel like people had to have been fairly loaded, on account of alcohol being safer to drink than water at many times in many places, but that's not a scholarly position of mine or anything.

History has preserved George Washington's bar tab from a party a few days before framing the Constitution.

quote:

55 attendees drank 54 bottles of Madeira, 60 bottles of claret, eight of whiskey, 22 of porter, eight of hard cider, 12 of beer, and seven bowls of alcoholic punch.

I calculated the amount of alcohol in all that, and it's almost precisely equal to one 750mL bottle of Jack Daniel's per person.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SeanBeansShako posted:

I can see why he was orignally going for the 'comedy nickname' angle with some of the people involved in that. I've already forgotten who's who and need a drat refresher.

I can actually remember who several of the people are in the narrative (dude w/ heavy metal dreams, dude who's the number 2 in the organization until he gets greedy, Fong (?) the confusican loyalist, strong dude who dies, scholar who's not only competent but actually looking out for everyone etc) - I just have problems putting names to people.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Chamale posted:

History has preserved George Washington's bar tab from a party a few days before framing the Constitution.

I calculated the amount of alcohol in all that, and it's almost precisely equal to one 750mL bottle of Jack Daniel's per person.

Strict constructionists take note.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just exactly how drunk was everybody at all times in the past,
17th century: extremely

quote:

and how high up the social ladder did the everdrunk climb?
famous drunkard matthias gallas propelled himself and his descendants to the upper echelons of imperial/austrian nobility and they stayed there for 400 years

quote:

Were heads of state drunk all the time too?
yes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Empress Theonora posted:

Strict constructionists take note.

Would US government really be worsened by everyone being permadrunk

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i got a gallas bio from the library but have not yet read it

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
Did people who refused to drink exist all that much? Or were they like vegans today, seen as fairly weird and tiptoed round?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

StashAugustine posted:

Would US government really be worsened by everyone being permadrunk

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/slightly-less-than-2-drinks-the-key-to-get-ahead-in-life-mitchell-webb-2653541

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

Did people who refused to drink exist all that much? Or were they like vegans today, seen as fairly weird and tiptoed round?
tilly didn't get drunk. jokes were made.
wallenstein didn't drink with everyone else but he did get drunk. people thought that was arrogant

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wasn't Tilly the one who had "never had sex, gotten drunk, or lost a battle."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

Wasn't Tilly the one who had "never had sex, gotten drunk, or lost a battle."
yep

peep his 50-something/2 win/loss ratio

like the thing is who eats or drinks with whom is a huge deal here. like when the king of france eats he's the only one in the room who eats and everyone else at the court freaking stands while it happens, because he's the king of goddamned france. you eat/drink with your peers, especially in germany and bohemia.

one fight that steter was involved in began when he walked into his hauptmann's room while a party was going on and asked him "why are you drinking with [x], he's not an honorable person," insulting both his hauptmann and the guy he was talking about

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 24, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

yep

peep his 50-something/2 win/loss ratio

like the thing is who eats or drinks with whom is a huge deal here. like when the king of france eats he's the only one in the room who eats and everyone else at the court freaking stands while it happens, because he's the king of goddamned france. you eat/drink with your peers, especially in germany and bohemia.

There is also the idea that the king literally is the state, not just in a legal but in a spiritual sense, so observing the king's meals was big loving deal, akin to watching parliament constitute itself for the first time after elections. For the same reason physical disability of the monarch was pretty much the ultimate disaster because it meant there was something rotten in the state of wherever the gently caress you are.

I can only imagine how the Spanish conservatives tied themselves into knots during the reign of Charles "my pedigree comes full circle" II. Because on the one hand a country with such a king is hosed but you can't just replace him because that's not how that system works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

In the 1720s the average Viennese drank 295 litres of wine per year, with maybe (?) roughly the same amount in beer. Soldiers of the time probably drank even more, I'd say

And I recall reading somewhere that the Bavarian Army had to limit its soldiers' beer consumption during WWI to three litres per day in fear of them freezing to death without even realising it

• Locked thread