Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bongwizzard posted:

I would murder a panda like quarterly if that would assure my PB perfection, but let me know what brand you found.

I have some SC, but I have no idea how to incorporate it into the peanut butter. I don't know if my immersion blender is up to the task. My current favorite is the Wegmans house brand of "natural" PB, it is on point for flavor, does not separate too badly, but is just a little too thin for cracker use

I'm in the UK so it probably doesn't help you: Pip and Nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Corynebacterium glutamicum is a bacterium that was isolated from soil in Japan in 1957. It was discovered as researchers were looking into glutamate / glutamic acid production by bacteria. Strains were selected by their ability to produce greater than 30g / liter of glutamic acid.

This works out to about 3% weight/ volume in natural isolates. Remember, 30g/L is the minimum cutoff. Strains that have been cultivated can easily produce 100g/ L or more.

This works out similarly to 10% ethanol production from a grape / yeast fermentation.

Purification methods for MSG typically involve filtering the bacterial culture, and then increasing the pH under heat, then cooling it quickly and lowering the pH to allow crystals to form. Crystals are then removed via centrifugation and further drying / crystal formation occurs.

The byproduct of this is used as fertilizer. All in all it's a very tame process and not some gross chemical synthesis stuff. Actually, that's how MSG used to be made but thanks to bacteria is done no longer.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/3/728S.full and other references if anyone wants em.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

AnonSpore posted:

Yes but chemicals

Watch out for those toxins! Don't worry, I got electrically charged super-water that'll reverse the ionization of those toxins lickety split. And the best part is that it's all natural. But you gotta pay for the recurring 6-month supply or I can't ship it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm obtusely proud that I started this whole thing - the most lively discussion here in a while - by posting a picture of my junk store find.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

SubG posted:

And it's worth pointing out that this applies to glutamate, not MSG per se.

Right, my bad. You can see the order of that post got a bit scrambled, I wasn't sure I shoulda included that section in the first place.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Yes but chemicals

Oh, those dastardly CHEMICALS!! Reminds me of the time that the investigate reporter, the foodbabe, uncovered the fact that the air on airplanes was about 80% Nitrogen. Thank goodness she was there to alert us all to this incredible health concern perpetrated by the evil airline industry.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Roxy Rouge posted:

Oh, those dastardly CHEMICALS!! Reminds me of the time that the investigate reporter, the foodbabe, uncovered the fact that the air on airplanes was about 80% Nitrogen. Thank goodness she was there to alert us all to this incredible health concern perpetrated by the evil airline industry.

airplanes are p bad for everyone and everything, all things considered.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
And, to bring this all full circle, what's the deal with airline peanut butter!?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

And, to bring this all full circle, what's the deal with airline peanut butter!?

Inedible. Sugar with peanuts.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

I got served a stroopwaffel with my lovely coffee on my last flight. I was kind of taken aback.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
i enjoy peanut butter and MSG.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I enjoy peanut butter with MSG chunks.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

therattle posted:

I enjoy peanut butter with MSG chunks.

You have discovered the secret to Thai cuisine

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Now, what about powdered peanut butter; not chunky and, strictly speaking, not smooth either.

I once thought it a good idea to mix with Greek yogurt. It was not.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
This is the first time in a long time that GWS chat spawned a page in a day that wasn't for a depressing reason. I guess that makes me like peanut butter and MSG, too.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

rgocs posted:

Now, what about powdered peanut butter; not chunky and, strictly speaking, not smooth either.

I once thought it a good idea to mix with Greek yogurt. It was not.

My girlfriend does this every day, and dips apples and other fruit in it. Not my thing but it's alright.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've had PB powder with greek yogurt before but with the lowfat kind for some more richness. However PB powder is for pussies IMHO, gotta go big on that fatty all-natty.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Xenoestrogens
Phytoestrogens
Pthalates
Parabens
BPA

Raise your hand if you hear these SCARY WORDS on a regular basis from your significant other :(:hf::(

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The Midniter posted:

Xenoestrogens
Phytoestrogens
Pthalates
Parabens
BPA

Raise your hand if you hear these SCARY WORDS on a regular basis from your significant other :(:hf::(

I hear those words from my boss and coworkers at least once a month in an unsolicited hour long one-sided lecture about GMOs :shepicide:

But it's better than the conversations with my other coworker who goes over detailed histories of the Knights Templars' secret American treasure hordes

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

MrSlam posted:

But it's better than the conversations with my other coworker who goes over detailed histories of the Knights Templars' secret American treasure hordes

Next time they talk with you about this, ask just where those secret hordes are. I'll cut you in for 40% if I find something there. :v:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Peanut butter is vile poo poo.

MSG is fine in moderation.

Pizza is not a sandwich.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Scientastic posted:

Woah woah woah, ok there peanut butter Hitler.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Scientastic posted:

Pizza is not a sandwich.

1) no

2) yes

3)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

Pizza is not a sandwich.

:siren: SANDWICHCHAT HAS BEGUN :siren:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Marta Velasquez posted:

:siren: SANDWICHCHAT HAS BEGUN :siren:

You know, we could have just ignored it and maybe it would have gone away. But no. You had to just double down.

Right. Pistolette's at dawn.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

There's a slice of bread missing at the top. That's clearly not a sandwich :colbert:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
It's open faced.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
It's a stack of pizzas

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

1) no

2) yes

3)

That's not a sandwich, it's a folded pizza. Place it between or even on bread and then it's a pizza sandwich.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It's open faced.

So is a pizza

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The last surviving prop of Double Dare will be dubbed the Dagwood Crown

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

therattle posted:

I'm in the UK

:(:hf:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
But is it gluten-free?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I know. :smith:

Discendo Vox posted:

But is it gluten-free?

My son is coeliac so this actually matters.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

:smith:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
We were so close.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Pizza is not a sandwich.

There is one wrong sentence here

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Are we talking pizza like

or like

Because I feel the second one is definitely an open-faced sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

-Navajo Taco with pizza sauce
-Fries
-Eviscerated Gyro
-Hush Puppies
Being a carny must be the most magical job in the world