Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Do they normally print "PARTY SUPPLIES, HAVE FUN!" on the box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Schadenfreude is all of the Brits who were absolutely convinced it was a waste of time to bring the Brexit vote to a referendum and OF COURSE "Don't leave" was going to win who are now utterly stunned that they lost; it's amazing. It's always wonderful to see some vocal-but-not-majority group who demonizes their opponents or resorts to underhanded tactics get slapped down publicly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sigma X posted:

demonizes their opponents or resorts to underhanded tactics

Sorry which side are you talking about?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sigma X posted:

Schadenfreude is all of the Brits who were absolutely convinced it was a waste of time to bring the Brexit vote to a referendum and OF COURSE "Don't leave" was going to win who are now utterly stunned that they lost; it's amazing. It's always wonderful to see some vocal-but-not-majority group who demonizes their opponents or resorts to underhanded tactics get slapped down publicly.

I enjoy the people who voted leave but regret it not even 24 hours later.
https://twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/status/746308080481206272
Be sure to watch the video linked in the initial tweet.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mierenneuker posted:

I enjoy the people who voted leave but regret it not even 24 hours later.
https://twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/status/746308080481206272

well, if they manage to kick up enough of a fuss, they can force them to stay in the EU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Cakefool posted:

Sorry which side are you talking about?

Both sides. All sides; UK, US, worldwide. This is the new modern politics we're talking about.

EDIT: But that's totally off topic. I just enjoy who think they're in the moral right despite being in the minority on the opinion getting slapped down.

The Prong Song has a new favorite as of 15:39 on Jun 24, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mierenneuker posted:

to save some lazy people effort

https://twitter.com/SimonNRicketts/status/746345810862940160?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There will be some similar schadenfreude in the U.S. if Trump wins because he'll say something incredibly embarrassing within the first 24 hours and people who voted for him will definitely try to act all confused and regretful as if they couldn't possibly have seen it coming.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Why did they vote to leave? Brown people or something?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Bum the Sad posted:

I'm really oversimplifying this but yes, mostly.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Maker Of Shoes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-4ATrE8n0

(link shamelessly stolen from the xbox sharktank)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Maker Of Shoes posted:

LOL love it.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bum the Sad posted:

increasingly strict control from the EU, including unsustainably large refugee quotas, which were the rallying point

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Bum the Sad posted:

The emerging theory is that there's a substantial minority of die hard leavers, and the rest were protest votes against the government that they believed wouldn't affect the result. Something like 30% believed that the country would actually leave the EU, which indicates a lot of protest voting.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So we'll see something similar when people vote for Trump ironically, gotcha.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cumslut1895 posted:

increasingly strict control from the EU, including unsustainably large refugee quotas, which were the rallying point

I would be hilarious if the French stopped searching UK-bound trucks for stowaways...

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rough Lobster posted:

you just had to put that out in the universe didn't you

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zopotantor posted:

I would be hilarious if the French stopped searching UK-bound trucks for stowaways...

well, they'd just start checking at the UK border. Honestly, I can understand how frustrating it must be to not have control over your own border..

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cumslut1895 posted:

well, they'd just start checking at the UK border. Honestly, I can understand how frustrating it must be to not have control over your own border..

Yeah, I think England keeps it's little sliver of land on the Europe side of the Chunnel. They'll just check everything there. Easier to send refugees through Ireland.

Rough Lobster posted:

Or we'll see how terrible protest voting is and stop this trend before it gets out of hand. Not in time for the English though. Nope. They're hosed.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/GoogleTrends/status/746137920940056578

I'm fuckin dyin over here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Zopotantor posted:

and start searching France-bound trucks instead...

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Hot Rod 2 lookin' good.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So is this Brexit poo poo 100% going to happen now with no way to stop it?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bum the Sad posted:

it wouldn't surprise me if the EU forced them to do another referendum with heavy EU oversight

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The referendum is advisory, Parliament can overturn it. :pray: Of course the pound is already hosed.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

AlphaKretin posted:

The referendum is advisory, Parliament can overturn it. :pray: Of course the pound is already hosed.
Oh so it's not real real. Is the queen gonna start yelling at people now and doing queen stuff?

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Kenlon posted:

Pretty much anything that involves him talking is the best Bas Rutten. :3:

Wrong move! Don't do that to El Guapo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bum the Sad posted:

No. This is just a referendum, it has no legal impact, it's literally just a vote. There's a process to leave the EU under Article 50, but the referendum doesn't start that process, and doesn't even dictate a timeline for starting that process.

If Cameron now starts that process, then Britain sits down with the EU and negotiates a withdrawal agreement (which is entirely open-ended, it could preserve much of the benefit Britain has from being an EU member, it could result in Britain getting better trade deals given that something like 16% of European exports go to Britain, etc). That withdrawal agreement needs to be agreed to by a supermajority of the EU members. If they can't reach an agreement in two years, then it's like a pocket veto, Britain is just out of the EU, the treaties are no longer in force, so that's that. Or if after two years the EC votes unanimously to extend the deadline, then they can keep working on an agreement.

It's like the Scottish independence referendum a few years ago. They voted to remain part of the UK, but if they'd voted for independence, they wouldn't suddenly be an independent country, they'd have had to go through a whole other process to do that.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Bum the Sad posted:

Oh so it's not real real. Is the queen gonna start yelling at people now and doing queen stuff?

Why limit it to yelling? She can just flat out veto anything, even after it was voted on and passed by parliament

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cumslut1895 posted:

it wouldn't surprise me if the EU forced them to do another referendum with heavy EU oversight

I'm pretty sure the EU interfering like that would create even more Brexit voters.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Phanatic posted:

No. This is just a referendum, it has no legal impact, it's literally just a vote. There's a process to leave the EU under Article 50, but the referendum doesn't start that process, and doesn't even dictate a timeline for starting that process.

If Cameron now starts that process, then Britain sits down with the EU and negotiates a withdrawal agreement (which is entirely open-ended, it could preserve much of the benefit Britain has from being an EU member, it could result in Britain getting better trade deals given that something like 16% of European exports go to Britain, etc). That withdrawal agreement needs to be agreed to by a supermajority of the EU members. If they can't reach an agreement in two years, then it's like a pocket veto, Britain is just out of the EU, the treaties are no longer in force, so that's that. Or if after two years the EC votes unanimously to extend the deadline, then they can keep working on an agreement.

It's like the Scottish independence referendum a few years ago. They voted to remain part of the UK, but if they'd voted for independence, they wouldn't suddenly be an independent country, they'd have had to go through a whole other process to do that.

So some one has to actually pull the trigger, wonder if anyone will.

Sentient Data posted:

Why limit it to yelling? She can just flat out veto anything, even after it was voted on and passed by parliament

Oh yeah. That'd be fun, wouldn't that be the first time that's happened in hundreds of years. God that country would go into even more of a clusterfuck crisis.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Phanatic posted:

If Cameron now starts that process

I hear he immediately resigned on hearing the news.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Alabaster White posted:

I hear he immediately resigned on hearing the news.

I wonder if he buried his sorrow in the mouth of a pig's head

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I wonder if he buried his sorrow in the mouth of a pig's head

is his penis named ''sorrow''

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

46 million registered voters? 32ish million actual votes. 14 million people just let somebody else decide their future for for them :cripes:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

A White Guy posted:

46 million registered voters? 32ish million actual votes. 14 million people just let somebody else decide their future for for them :cripes:

Wait until you see the US election later this year!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A White Guy posted:

Are you new on this planet

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Britain isn't really gonna leave the EU, this vote was enough to scare people straight though which is good.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

ranbo das posted:

Britain isn't really gonna leave the EU

don't stick your fingers in your ears and pretend this isn't happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

don't stick your fingers in your ears and pretend this isn't happening

Trump doesn't mean the things he says! He's just playing a character to garner support!