Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Who is that? You?

I believe it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

:woop: got an assignment :woop:

Going to A ROTC detachment in Yale.

Anyone been to that state?

Protons fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 21, 2016

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
people that do rotc at ivy league schools have to be the dumbest people on the planet. an ivy league education is a golden ticket to life.

party schools too but only because they cant blow lines and have dumb poo poo to do on drinking days.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

people that do rotc at ivy league schools have to be the dumbest people on the planet. an ivy league education is a golden ticket to life.

party schools too but only because they cant blow lines and have dumb poo poo to do on drinking days.

I made this quip to the LTC commander at the detachment. She kinda chuckled and said "It's the least we can do to round out the force. Too many officers are from loving University of Alabama and Texas A&M. I went to Notre Dame."

I saw some truth in that.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 22, 2016

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Who is that? You?

Yeah bruh :420: From scurity police to gently caress the police as soon as I got that dd214.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

lite_sleepr posted:

I made this quip to the LTC commander at the detachment. She kinda chuckled and said "It's the least we can do to round out the force. Too many officers are from loving Alabama state and Texas A&M. I went to Notre Dame."

I saw some truth in that.

The Marines are worse. loving Citadel, Texas A&M and Southern Division 2-3 grads for miles and miles

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Really not sure if I like the idea of going to New Haven :/

Seems it's been among the top 10 and 5 most dangerous cities in the US for years.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

generally the dangerous cities are only dangerous if you're poor and living around poor people

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lite_sleepr posted:

Really not sure if I like the idea of going to New Haven :/

Seems it's been among the top 10 and 5 most dangerous cities in the US for years.

pm vas or me if you wanna know more about CT. vas would know way more than me about gun wavin' new haven but i've been around there enough

new haven has lovely areas but then theres also loving yale right there so yeah theres some nice places too

plus NYC is like an 90 min train ride from the new haven station to grand central

also theres some of the best pizza in the world in new haven, no lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkDgB9Mr6wA

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 22, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also theres hella asian girls in yale if you got yellow fever/have a small penis and want a girl who's already used to it

edit: if you're polish or have a polish last name or look polish then prepare to be asked a million times where in new britain you're from.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

pm vas or me if you wanna know more about CT. vas would know way more than me about gun wavin' new haven but i've been around there enough

new haven has lovely areas but then theres also loving yale right there so yeah theres some nice places too

plus NYC is like an 90 min train ride from the new haven station to grand central

Neat, but whose vas?

I, too, will most likely be a gun waver as I apply for my out of state CCW.

I was looking at commuting from Madison maybe.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

There's a Pepas near me and that poo poo is amazing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

Neat, but whose vas?

Vasudus is a former GIP mod and knows his poo poo. He still posts a bit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

lite_sleepr posted:

Neat, but whose vas?

thats a 30 min drive down 95 without traffic

oh btw theres always traffic

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
OH yea I remember Vas. He's a 9/11 GI Bill wizard and made it sound like getting out wouldn't result in my starving to death under a bridge.

I'm going to need to commute because New Haven looks like a loving hole, it's dangerous, and p much too expensive.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i pm'd vas to check out here, he might not read here and would be able to tell you where good areas in new haven are

protop: avoid dixwell ave

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
New Haven is actually a pretty cool city, and there's nowhere else I would rather live in CT. Of course, I don't live in CT anymore and the next time I'm going back there it's to bury my mom, but if you're going to be stuck in CT there's way worse places to be.

New Haven is a very old city that is gentrified to hell and back - but, like any gentrified area, it's uneven. The Yale Quarter / Yale Bowl area is fantastically wealthy and nice, with plenty of places to eat. A few blocks down the road and you'll be in neighborhoods that have steel barricades over their windows and doors the moment the sun goes down. Then you're a few blocks further down and it's nice again. Fortunately, there's no real route that you would have to take that would lead you into these lovely areas.

Cost of living is going to be high, because it's southern Connecticut. There's like, three other places in the country with a higher cost of living. You're not going to be able to escape it, so buck up and get used to it. Fortunately your BAH should be quite generous, and generally more than enough to cover an apartment and the costs associated with it. For an E5 it's over 2k a month. It's also pegged to the entire southern CT region, so you don't necessarily have to live in Yale's zip code.

Places to live: I highly recommend the Westville area, which is (dum dum dum) on the western side, pretty much bordering nearby Ansonia. It's near Southern Connecticut State University, which is one of like seven colleges in New Haven besides Yale. If you simply have to live outside of New Haven, continue going west/southwest into Ansonia and Shelton. I grew up in Shelton - it's white flight as gently caress (literally 98% white) if you're concerned about ~the blacks~ and will give you more living options. Ansonia is pretty much the same, but poorer. From Shelton you're looking at roughly 30 minutes to get to Yale, possibly up to 45 if traffic is bad. You could also live in Hamden, to the north, but then you have to take Dixwell Ave which is a fate worse than death - it will take you roughly an hour to get to Yale. No, there's no faster options.

If you don't want to get shot/stabbed, don't live in West Haven or East Haven. Those places are considered 'New Haven' like Brooklyn/Queens/etc. are considered 'New York' so that usually throws off statistics on crime and such. North Haven is too far, poor/lovely and the commute is not nearly as clean cut as it appears on maps - you WILL get stuck on the bridge for a very long time, or the exit ramps.

For retail shopping, your main attraction is the Boston Post Road, which is exit 47 on the parkway. Literally everyone in southern CT goes there.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Some good deets.

I'm a married idiot E6 with a 6 year old, and he will need to transfer schools mid year. According to the BAH calculator for 2016, I'll get $3348 which is pretty neat.

What can you tell me about schools in the area, and jobs? My dependa is actually a red cross trained dental assistant and could do more than get whatever the civilian AAFES equivalent is. Also has hotel management experience. Maybe she could work through Yale?

Also, did you have a conceal carry permit, or did you leave before you could? Did you not care? Is it called 'gun wavin' new haven' for a reason? I understand the area is a smug liberal haven, but if areas around there look like Chris' neighborhood in Friday, I'd rather be able to carry the option.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

lite_sleepr posted:

Some good deets.

I'm a married idiot E6 with a 6 year old, and he will need to transfer schools mid year. According to the BAH calculator for 2016, I'll get $3348 which is pretty neat.

What can you tell me about schools in the area, and jobs? My dependa is actually a red cross trained dental assistant and could do more than get whatever the civilian AAFES equivalent is. Also has hotel management experience. Maybe she could work through Yale?

Also, did you have a conceal carry permit, or did you leave before you could? Did you not care? Is it called 'gun wavin' new haven' for a reason? I understand the area is a smug liberal haven, but if areas around there look like Chris' neighborhood in Friday, I'd rather be able to carry the option.

For schools you've got a wide assortment of charter schools and magnet schools, which range from 'pretty good' to 'some of the best in the country'. I can't speak for the quality on those since I don't have kids. CT has absolutely insanely good public education IF you're in a good town. The surrounding cities - Shelton, Ansonia, Derby, etc. all have excellent public education, New Haven not so much.

For universities you have two real options, unless you're ultra catholic or an art student: SCSU or Yale. SCSU has an excellent nursing and teaching program, and an okay everything else. I went there for my undergrad/grad and worked there for ~4 years under their veterans office. So if you or your spouse want to go to school there, I can give you the contact information for their vet guy. I don't know if Yale treats you as an employee or what since the ROTC program is what, two years old now? They might have options for attending classes or finding work, I have no idea.

I considered getting my CCL a few times just because the people I hung out with (angry combat vets) all had them, but they also had bugout bags and autographed pictures of Ron Paul. I lived in New Haven proper for like 5.5 years, spent a ton of time downtown and not once did I ever think to myself 'gently caress me, I wish I had my CCL'. Like, there's a scattering of areas you don't want to walk through at night but they stick out like a sore thumb in that city and are easily avoidable. I don't mean 'hey we have to take a 15 minute detour to avoid this ghetto' I mean 'hey, let's go two blocks over before crossing'.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Some quality posting in this thread

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I really want to get my CCL but an ~3 year old FamAdv reference has me a little nervous. I had no trouble passing the background check for the MS carry license, but something tells me the CT background check will be more thorough. That they'll see something in an air force system, but I'm probably just being paranoid.

Seeing that my BAH will be 3348 vs 2043 was a real relief, and having you say that it's not ~so bad~ is pretty good. I'll look forward to living in a place that is not the loving SOUTH for a change. Four seasons, as opposed to summer, last summer, after summer, and next summer. 8 Years in Eglin, 4 years in Germany, then 2 years in Mississippi. It's all I've ever known!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NTT posted:

Some quality posting in this thread

Air Force, Fly, Fight, Sit n' Spin!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

For schools you've got a wide assortment of charter schools and magnet schools, which range from 'pretty good' to 'some of the best in the country'. I can't speak for the quality on those since I don't have kids. CT has absolutely insanely good public education IF you're in a good town. The surrounding cities - Shelton, Ansonia, Derby, etc. all have excellent public education, New Haven not so much.

For universities you have two real options, unless you're ultra catholic or an art student: SCSU or Yale. SCSU has an excellent nursing and teaching program, and an okay everything else. I went there for my undergrad/grad and worked there for ~4 years under their veterans office. So if you or your spouse want to go to school there, I can give you the contact information for their vet guy. I don't know if Yale treats you as an employee or what since the ROTC program is what, two years old now? They might have options for attending classes or finding work, I have no idea.

I considered getting my CCL a few times just because the people I hung out with (angry combat vets) all had them, but they also had bugout bags and autographed pictures of Ron Paul. I lived in New Haven proper for like 5.5 years, spent a ton of time downtown and not once did I ever think to myself 'gently caress me, I wish I had my CCL'. Like, there's a scattering of areas you don't want to walk through at night but they stick out like a sore thumb in that city and are easily avoidable. I don't mean 'hey we have to take a 15 minute detour to avoid this ghetto' I mean 'hey, let's go two blocks over before crossing'.

Seriously the good public schools in CT are really good, my oldest is at one of the top middle schools in the country, in a town of under 12k people.

Vas is right about the nursing program at SCSU, it's great, but also btw the CT government is freaking out with a $250mill budget shortfall. hospitals are being directly affected by this, but the demand is still pretty good

lite_sleepr posted:

it's a nickname, same as Hard-Hittin New Britain. The bad areas in New Haven advertise themselves well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CT is on my list of possible places to live in the future. Tons of history in New England, good schools, there are worthwhile mountains within driving distance, you can go to the big cities on the east coast without having to live in them, and most importantly it's not the South.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

CT is on my list of possible places to live in the future. Tons of history in New England, good schools, there are worthwhile mountains within driving distance, you can go to the big cities on the east coast without having to live in them, and most importantly it's not the South.

i like ct but i can understand why people dont

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Come to Michigan! It's like living in the Deep South except with snow!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm excited about the idea of getting into cycling more seriously.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

theres a fuckload of lance armstrong wanna bes in ct

honestly for the most part the cyclists are good in central ct and hand signal, giving enough room to pass

except for around wesleyan university in middletown, may god smite all pedestrians in that area

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm excited about the idea of getting into cycling more seriously.

I was, but then the weather changed from high 60s and rainy to ~100 and BLAZING SUN LIKE THE SURFACE OF VULCAN so I'm less enthused.

Edit: On the plus side, yesterday I figured out how to adjust the angle of my seat, so that might help the ol' butt.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

I was, but then the weather changed from high 60s and rainy to ~100 and BLAZING SUN LIKE THE SURFACE OF VULCAN so I'm less enthused.

Edit: On the plus side, yesterday I figured out how to adjust the angle of my seat, so that might help the ol' butt.

90-110 is all I get out here until monsoons, that's why I like mountain biking, lets you get in to the woods a bit for a little shade

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's actually why I bought this thing in the first place, then I moved away from trees. And the jeep doesn't even have a hitch to mount a bike rack (to make the hour drive to nice scenery).

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
If any of you bastids are at Elmo, shoot me a PM. I rolled in Sunday, deliberately didn't reserve lodging (sponsor was going on leave and I told him not to sweat it since I'd been there) so I got my non-A and a hotel room about $150 under my per diem. Got the kids for the next two months though so I'm spending the money on them instead of beer. Now I'm on PTDY rolling right into the four day for the 4th. Best part is that my job is running the Customer Support section of the MPS, which is about 95% top cover and defusing random customer complaints about what channel the waiting room TV is tuned to*.

I did impulse buy an AR-15. I love living overseas, but god bless America.

*This no poo poo happened last time I worked that office at Elmo. A dude typed a two-page ICE complaint that the TV was turned to Fox News, and detailed how we should be giving equal time to both Fox and a real news channel. My response was to turn the thing to Nickelodeon permanently. Good job bro, enjoy SpongeBob.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Are you saying I can get televisions tuned from Fox News to Nickelodeon just by filing an ice thing?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Are you saying it can get changed away from Fox News at all because I find that somewhat surprisingly actually.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Fox News or sports, that's it.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Wild T posted:

If any of you bastids are at Elmo, shoot me a PM. I rolled in Sunday, deliberately didn't reserve lodging (sponsor was going on leave and I told him not to sweat it since I'd been there) so I got my non-A and a hotel room about $150 under my per diem. Got the kids for the next two months though so I'm spending the money on them instead of beer. Now I'm on PTDY rolling right into the four day for the 4th. Best part is that my job is running the Customer Support section of the MPS, which is about 95% top cover and defusing random customer complaints about what channel the waiting room TV is tuned to*.

I did impulse buy an AR-15. I love living overseas, but god bless America.

*This no poo poo happened last time I worked that office at Elmo. A dude typed a two-page ICE complaint that the TV was turned to Fox News, and detailed how we should be giving equal time to both Fox and a real news channel. My response was to turn the thing to Nickelodeon permanently. Good job bro, enjoy SpongeBob.

You're a 3S? I had no idea.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

nullscan posted:

Fox News or sports, that's it.
I don't even work in an Air Force building but this is literally every TV i see there. Except maybe sometimes CNN. Pretty sure it's just cause Fox is all gung-ho bomb everything hua merica *support our troops*

edit: wait the one in the front lobby has the weather channel

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

I don't even work in an Air Force building but this is literally every TV i see there. Except maybe sometimes CNN. Pretty sure it's just cause Fox is all gung-ho bomb everything hua merica *support our troops*

edit: wait the one in the front lobby has the weather channel

The clinic on Fort Meade has every TV tuned to Animal Planet. It's the weirdest thing.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Get a VCR and loop Foglesongs AFN commercials all day. Really the only appropriate thing to put on a TV in an air force base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

xsf421 posted:

The clinic on Fort Meade has every TV tuned to Animal Planet. It's the weirdest thing.

Nellis hospital is partial to HGTV. That and local stations playing daytime talk show/game show/soaps

which given the fact that like 90%+ of the Nellis hospital's business is either geriatric retirees or overweight housewives with five kids, I guess they're just playing to their customers.

Speaking of Nellis I'm on base temporarily while I PCS (moving to the strip today) and while I was running today I witnessed 8 dudes in white t-shirts and ABUs outside the thunderchicken hangar pulling weeds. Apparently that's what they make their "pledges" wear. Seriously want to call in the entire organization to the FWA hotline.

• Locked thread