Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Swan Curry posted:

a situation that will definitely be improved by supporting ukip

oh did you tick the Tory box instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Megaspel posted:

You have the only other good animation uni in the UK, Dundee. They rejected me though so I had to go to Bournemouth, which was great, excluding the one teacher who was an hour late and spent the remaining hour of the lecture trying to pirate Up on youtube, eventually a student had to go up and give him the link to a Russian piracy site.

Is it true that hiring practices in Scotland tend to favour the Scottish? Would bigging my ¼ Scottish heritage up be beneficial or would they call me a limey oval office and spit on me? The only thing I know about Scotland comes from Limmy and Frankie Boyle, and that it's cold. Still, it seems like a better place from how they tend to vote on issues I care about. Definitely would like to live in a big Scottish city though, you guys have all sorts that we don't have in Scunthorpe.
Well honestly that's true of any country, but it shouldn't be here. Also considering the state we're in, we'll be much more desperate for new labour forces here. Frankly the electronics industry should be leaned on here as being ourbiggest shot after the oil runs out in twenty years-ish.

Also I found our new British anthem right here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI-IIDtoxDE

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

still laughing that all this is happening because Ed Miliband can't eat a bacon sandwich like a normal person

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kegluneq posted:

Has this been posted yet? Looks fairly good for Corbyn imo (or terrible for the SNP). Doesn't look like the Lib Dems or the Greens can be that proud either, surely they should have mirrored the UKIP vote?

how do i embed tweet

Yeah there was this graph which is a bit easier to read

Sure puts Tim Farron's "Corbyn is to blame he failed to convince Labour supporters" politicking into perspective

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I saw this, and can't get my head round why the leader of one party is getting poo poo hurled at them while the other is having meetings with EU bigwigs and referendum talks when their supporters acted almost identically.

corbyn bad

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If anyone cares, I did the math, and it wasn't close enough for the rain in London to have swung the results. If turnout there were as high as expected, then Leave would have won by 256,000 instead of 270,000.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

still laughing that all this is happening because Ed Miliband can't eat a bacon sandwich like a normal person
One wants to gently caress a pig, the other can't eat one properly. What a world we've become.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

The country which invokes article 50 can stop the process at any time unilaterally... In theory.

They can't though?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I just checked the value of my stocks ISA and holy poo poo it's actually up today. I had no loving idea how but i checked it out a bit, turns out the guys bought a bunch of gold and put a short on sterling. Geniuses. Pity that sterling is still 5% down though.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
This is the pot calling the kettle black since I'm american, but you lot really do have the dumbest possible electorate. Whoops our protest vote won, I guess we'll just be the trash fire of Europe now.

Question for people saying the EU punishing you for brexit is bad: Do you not believe that the EU gets to act in its self interest?

I know it's not a great force for anything good, really, but it still gets to take steps to try and prevent its break up just because the english(and welsh) are too stupid to understand anything.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Pantsuit posted:

Well i mean, their treatment of refugees is pretty dire.

The EUs treatment of refugees is dire entirely because of Nationalist movements like UKIP. Nobody voted leave to see refugees get treated better, they voted leave because they thought the EU wasn't treating them badly enough.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

For those up in Scotland, here is Nicola Sturgeon's full speech regarding the future north of the border.

Editing some of the highlights but if you're interested, read the full thing.

I wish I was Scottish. Unfortunately I'm Welsh and I work in a profession highly dependant on EU funding. Kill me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Halman posted:

This is the pot calling the kettle black since I'm american, but you lot really do have the dumbest possible electorate. Whoops our protest vote won, I guess we'll just be the trash fire of Europe now.

Question for people saying the EU punishing you for brexit is bad: Do you not believe that the EU gets to act in its self interest?

I know it's not a great force for anything good, really, but it still gets to take steps to try and prevent its break up just because the english(and welsh) are too stupid to understand anything.

Believe me, a big portion of the UK agrees with you.

This is a poo poo place for shits.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

The DoD already criticized British efforts these past 15 years in a report sometime last year I believe. If Brits hated the US-UK relationship in the war on terror (or any future conflict), I think they'll be happy knowing it's pretty much over now.

That is true but I think it swings both ways. With more focus on the EU and less on the UK for the US, the U.K. loses a lot of potential for influence that is really above their geopolitical standing. Now I think their relevance will revert back to what is appropriate for a country of that size and geopolitical standing.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
We have hosed this

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Chamale posted:

If anyone cares, I did the math, and it wasn't close enough for the rain in London to have swung the results. If turnout there were as high as expected, then Leave would have won by 256,000 instead of 270,000.

Ah phew, that's some comfort then.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
so does this kill the eu you think, everywhere else is agitating for a leave now

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

Kegluneq posted:

Has this been posted yet? Looks fairly good for Corbyn imo (or terrible for the SNP). Doesn't look like the Lib Dems or the Greens can be that proud either, surely they should have mirrored the UKIP vote?

how do i embed tweet

As an outsider watching this, is it possible that parts of the SNP voted leave to intentionally set the framework to get another independence vote going since staying with the EU was part of the reason their previous attempt failed or am I giving far too much credit to the country that looks up what the results of their choice will be the loving day after they vote?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It'd be neat if Ober, while he's probated, would put together that Marxist reading list for the OP.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Hoops posted:

We have hosed this

I didn't I voted in

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

CoolCab posted:

so does this kill the eu you think, everywhere else is agitating for a leave now

I think exit-folk on the continent are going to wait and see if the easterners leave first. edit: Oops didn't notice that France was agitating as all hell to leave, yeah this seems up the in air now. Hollande is legit garbage.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

forkboy84 posted:

It'd be neat if Ober, while he's probated, would put together that Marxist reading list for the OP.
It'd be neat if he took a few weeks off the internet. I say this from a place of good intent - it would be good for a lot of UKMT posters

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

tetsul posted:

As an outsider watching this, is it possible that parts of the SNP voted leave to intentionally set the framework to get another independence vote going since staying with the EU was part of the reason their previous attempt failed or am I giving far too much credit to the country that looks up what the results of their choice will be the loving day after they vote?

scotland voted remain by the largest margin so that would be weird

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

CoolCab posted:

Everywhere else's far-right nationalist parties, that is. And none of those parties have near the clout the UKIP have over the British because the British tend to be much more racist. They could come within 10 points in some nations, but watching GB's economy die in a fire of regret is going to make a pretty effective "stay in the EU" ad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Swan Curry posted:

a border poll obviously isn't going to happen but nothing on this earth would make happier than a 32-county republic coming to be because of dup fucks voting to leave

I feel bad for them because obviously there's a lot of border towns etc that rely on the market.

But also as a yankee who thinks multi-national legislative bodies are bullshit...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hoops posted:

It'd be neat if he took a few weeks off the internet. I say this from a place of good intent - it would be good for a lot of UKMT posters
What an awful idea.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

CoolCab posted:

If they can gently caress us over enough, the other waverers might be intimidated back into line.

Which is one of the reasons the rainbows and puppies interpretation of article 50 the leavers espoused is and always was bollocks.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

CoolCab posted:

Of course they are. This is why the EU is gonna come down hard on the UK when they start negotiating, because if it's easy to leave the EU you'll see lots of far right parties put up referendums like the brits did. And since Europe is in the middle of losing its mind over refugees, there's lots of far right parties to put up said referendums.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
An MP murdered in cold blood for supporting the EU not only didn't affect the whole country, it didn't even effect the constituency she represented.

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/746379910088888320

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

tetsul posted:

Very very few people in the SNP were pro-Leave, I think there was only three people mentioned in the news. But the fact that all four leading political leaders of Scottish parliament from four separate parties voted all to REMAIN, I don't think any of them had voted Leave just to gently caress with results.

Imagine Ralph Nader, Ted Cruz and Bernie Sanders all teamed up to make a bill on gun control. That's how loving weird and rare it was to see four political party leaders of different ideologies vote together on one single choice.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the british are dumber than Americans

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Am I the only one who thinks this is going to benefit the UK and soliderize the people?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

An MP murdered in cold blood for supporting the EU not only didn't affect the whole country, it didn't even effect the constituency she represented.

The UK was attacked by a terrorist and said 'yeah he sounds like he knows what he's talking about'.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Hoops posted:

Hoops, it's currently not very nice out there. I think i'll stay here, ta.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

theblackw0lf posted:

If it turns out that many people that voted Leave regretted their vote, wouldn't that mean that parliament might suffer less consequences if they went against their referendum?

Sure they might anger some supporters, but maybe the backlash wouldn't be as bad as they originally feared.

Or maybe hold another vote?

The backlash would be nothing compared to the riots they'd see from the severe austerity that would be imposed as our economy nosedives. I don't see how a Tory government that backed the leave campaign could survive the anger that the people of Britain would have as everything goes to poo poo around them.

Megaspel posted:

Time to check up on the Scottish animation and game industries.

FinalGamer posted:

The people who ported Minecraft to the Xbox 360 are based here. We have good money potential in animation and gaming, the electronics industry booms up here. Hell there's universities up here that actually have videogame design courses and cybersecurity development so anyone who wants to further careers in that, come right on up! :haw:

Could Scotland really survive if they left the UK to join the EU, though? And what happens if/when the EU eventually implodes?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this is going to benefit the UK and soliderize the people?

Everyone hates each other and will continue to do so.

When we're fighting over food vouchers in five years we'll still hate each other.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CoolCab posted:

Our fascists are really happy about it, but there's nothing they can do...unless they win in 2017.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Google Butt posted:

the british are dumber than Americans

yep

the project fear stuff was such churlish childish bullshit

how dare these so called experts tell me something I do will have consequences. if my gut tells me to drink water filled with cadmium or vote to leave the eu who are they to try and stop me

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/746379910088888320

Why are you disappointed that a tragedy used as propaganda didn't work? Pretty sick, dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CoolCab posted:

I dont think it kills the EU at all, but it sure makes their life a lot less clear cut going forward. I might be mistaken but France and Italy(?) already had pretty big portions of their populations being pretty anti-EU and this certainly wont help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

tetsul posted:

The SNP's framework explicitly relies on Scotland going as Remain as it possibly can so barring SNP infiltrators in Scotland no.

• Locked thread