Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mike the TV posted:

One of the lead designers apparently likes the idea, but it wouldn't happen for years based on their current design path.

But then again Frontier is one of those weird companies that will do whatever it wants just because. VR support was something suggested and added practically overnight and now Elite is known for having one of the best VR experiences in gaming.

VR planetary landings are rad as gently caress, if only because I'm constantly wondering "ok is Glide mode gonna end before I smash face first into the installation" :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've been waffling about making a bit of money switching between rare trading (booooriiing omg), mining (relaxing in a not-boring way) and missions. Guess something else to try before things kick in to high gear with the Dangerous Games might be exploration, which I haven't done at all.

At my budget and ships (Cobra 3 and 4, Viper 4, 2.4mcr) what can I buy for roaming around the galaxy a bit, maybe landing on the odd interesting-looking planet? Or should I wait until I can afford something else?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Ciaphas posted:

I've been waffling about making a bit of money switching between rare trading (booooriiing omg), mining (relaxing in a not-boring way) and missions. Guess something else to try before things kick in to high gear with the Dangerous Games might be exploration, which I haven't done at all.

At my budget and ships (Cobra 3 and 4, Viper 4, 2.4mcr) what can I buy for roaming around the galaxy a bit, maybe landing on the odd interesting-looking planet? Or should I wait until I can afford something else?

This is why I asked about the diamondback. I think it's perfect for this.

Too bad they just stole the ship model from battlestar galactica.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is why I asked about the diamondback. I think it's perfect for this.

Too bad they just stole the ship model from battlestar galactica.

:what:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

If you already have a Cobra 3, I'd just stick with that. It's my favorite "tooling around" ship because it can be fitted for just about anything. But for exploration you have a couple options if you want to buy something new.

Sorted by price, within your range:

Hauler - cheap and great range, but you have to make compromises on fitting. You might have to give up surface exploration or shields.
Diamondback Scout - this might be your best option because of price, but it's not the best explorer because of limited internals
Type 6 - kind of a comedy option, but it has good internals and a great jump range. just bad handling
Asp Scout - if you don't mind the price tag, it's actually one of my favorite ships in the game, although the jump range isn't that much better than your Cobra

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

timn posted:

The worst part of the useless materials is that a few of them are common things to get from scanning data points at high security outposts. That was really discouraging to me when I was scrounging up modifed embedded firmware, getting a lot of literally useless stuff from all that work.

i think this would go a /long/ way to reducing the grind. If 3/5ths of the material drops are literally useless (can't even sell them?), just getting rid of them would automatically improve the drop chance(s) of usable materials by a huge %. It'd be a fantastic QOL change that would be a great hold-over until their late july/august patch which honestly is going to be a little late at this point.

re: exploring on cheap. I put together a DBX for exploring only, with no extraneous modules. No SRV, so no surface exploring but I don't think i'll miss it. https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/0pdtdFfldddsdf5---0202--48350i2i2f.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==?bn=Explorin

it's 11.5, but you could cheap out on the AFM and make it a bit cheaper.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 24, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

3/5 =/= 1/6

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The bug where you take a mission and then can't turn it in still exists...it's the one thing i was hoping would be fixed by the patch :frontear:

No polonium for me :negative:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

a fun concept that has some botched execution

That' pretty much the game in a nutshell.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ciaphas posted:

A dedicated explorer ship might cost you more than your budget allows, depending on how souped up your current ships are. Also remember that any explorer wants the Advanced Discovery Scanner which will cost you 1.5 millions on its own (luckily that's pretty much all you need besides the biggest fuel scoop you can fit and A-classing your FSD).

I'd just use the Cobra mkIII, D-specced it has very decent range for a non-dedicated explorer and it can carry whatever you will need out there and then some. Decent range, about 24 LY without weapons / 22 LY with, and good tank.

If you just want to give it a whirl without having to refit your existing stuff, I suggest a Hauler. If you leave out the hangar bay and give up planetside stuff it has 26 LY jump range and you can literally have one for pocket change. I did my first 1000 ly trip in one of those and besides some overheating issues when I got careless it went perfectly fine!

Otherwise if you really want to go planetside, you can fit an Adder, but really the Cobra mkIII is better in every way besides agility - and maybe landing on high G planets since the Cobra is kind of a fat cow.

The DBS is mostly a sidegrade to the Cobra, slightly longer range but can't carry everything you need and costs more to boot; it's more of a long range pure combat ship.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mike the TV posted:

Someone on the frontier forums found an Unknown Probe (never been found before in game). Of course it was in the hold of a python in a threat 4 convoy.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/227901-UAs-Barnacles-amp-More-Thread-6-The-Canonn/page653?p=4148572&viewfull=1#post4148572

That's the new name for an Unknown Artefact, and you could find them being carried by convoys before, it was just safer to scoop free-floating ones.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Angrymog posted:

That's the new name for an Unknown Artefact, and you could find them being carried by convoys before, it was just safer to scoop free-floating ones.

Good to know. Looks like Frontier is confused about messaging again, because one of the lead designers stated that Unknown Artefacts and Unknown Probes are different items.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

Finster Dexter posted:

As far as the overall design goes, I feel like Elite needs player-owned structures or something to give everything a greater purpose. I know people on the Fdev forums flip out about not turning this into Eve Online, but really, just a couple things like player-owned structures and maaaaaybe player group sov would make Elite a bazillion times better than Eve as a spaceship MMO.

Most of those people flipping out play Solo anyway and would never notice it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I'm in the mood of trying something new.

Current assets around 180 millions, but 150 of them are on my main ships and I'm not selling/refitting those. I want a quick fun ship to fly around, do some low-stakes combat and maybe engage in non-consensual PvP.

I'd like a cheap rebuy because with the new AI tricks and me being used to fly an invincible Vulture against braindead AI I will surely get my rear end handed to me repeatedly.

I was thinking either iEagle or DBS, of course the latter is more expensive but should be quite a bit more survivable. Please suggest me some weapons setup that could also work in PvP!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

FdL

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

TorakFade posted:

Current assets around 180 millions, but 150 of them are on my main ships and I'm not selling/refitting those. I want a quick fun ship to fly around, do some low-stakes combat and maybe engage in non-consensual PvP.

I'd like a cheap rebuy because with the new AI tricks and me being used to fly an invincible Vulture against braindead AI I will surely get my rear end handed to me repeatedly.

I was thinking either iEagle or DBS, of course the latter is more expensive but should be quite a bit more survivable. Please suggest me some weapons setup that could also work in PvP!

for 30 mil? you could try a dropship maybe.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
Eagle with a turreted beam laser on top and two seeker missiles on bottom. It was a cheap pvp powerhouse before missiles got upgraded and now it's even more fun with the engines upgrade. Shields optional.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Is it insane of me to want to use an Asp Explorer as a multi-role ship once I can scrape together the 45 some-odd million I need to kit it out the way I want?

I've got a build that I'm calling the "Angry Truck" that's got 64 tons of cargo, laser turrets, and missile racks, as well as the crap I need for what would be pretty casual Exploration. I could probably even cram a mining rig into it if I strip out the field maintenance kit and detailed surface scanner for a refinery and limpet controllers. Am I spreading myself too thin there?

To clarify, this is mostly to act as a stopgap while I save up and grind rep for either a Python or an Imperial Clipper. I'm not planning to get into big fights with it, maybe some recreational RES bounties. I keep a Vulture handy for when I need to seriously kill something.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TorakFade posted:

get an iCourier. If you're already thinking Eagle it's basically a bigger sexier version of that with more punch and versatility and is like a sweet Mercedes-SpaceBenz.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Is there a practical advantage, beyond 'where I can buy the one I want' to owning multiple ships? Does selling a ship not give back the full value?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

chaosapiant posted:

get an iCourier. If you're already thinking Eagle it's basically a bigger sexier version of that with more punch and versatility and is like a sweet Mercedes-SpaceBenz.

Yeah, get an iCourier. I fly one as my main ship right now. It's got decent jump range, and a really tanky shield. I use gimballed pulse lasers and a Plasma Accelerator. It's a pretty tight fit in the internals; I ended up buying a temporary mining Viper IV so I can get some of the crap I need for engineers. The Courier feels real good to fly, though, and it's pretty much a sexy space luxury car, as noted above.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

chaosapiant posted:

Yes I am considering that too, it looks like the "best" of the small ships for combat ... though the cost of dying a lot in it could quickly make a dent in my spacewallet.

The iEagle has only 6 maneuverability, I didn't know that :gonk:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nickiepoo posted:

Is there a practical advantage, beyond 'where I can buy the one I want' to owning multiple ships? Does selling a ship not give back the full value?

You lose 10% on the hull, I think. Mostly you lose the time it took to hunt down all your A-class modules and stuff. I'll buy temporary ships like Hauler Taxis or whatever like it's candy. I do keep some ships on when I'm not using them; my Vulture remains in storage back in Goatsec for when I need to go back and do some high-volume killing. I'll probably replace it with a FDL when I'm a Space Romney.

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

TorakFade posted:

I've been flying an upgraded Eagle Mk2 with Enhanced Thrusters and a combat loadout of slightly too much armor and a fixed beam laser with a couple cannons and slightly weak shields (D grade for less weight) and it seems fun. I've not really had a chance for a lot of PVP yet, but it seems to be good for RES and Compromised Nav Beacon hunting so long as you know when to get the gently caress out after stirring up a hornets nest (my problem is I don't and end up getting chewed up...but it can run away from most things). Even sitting slightly above optimal weight its pitch rate and agility are very good, its speed is very solid for a combat loadout, and it punishes you enough for fuckups (like hitting a Fed ship in a High Res and having run from a shitload of Eagles, a few Vipers, and a couple Condas) to add a little tension

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Nickiepoo posted:

Different ships for different roles? Or say you want a ship that has poo poo jump capability in a certain area for reasons, like for farming Res, or mining. I've got a Vulture stashed near where there's a res, a type 6 for mining in an other location, a type 6 for econoexploring, and will just use a hauler taxi to go between them.

edit: beaten like a dead horse.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there a bug report for these superfluous items? They're like worse than vendor trash because you can't even sell them.

Have you considered appreciating all the immersion improving materials in your hold? Just enjoying the game for what it is?

Nah, Obviously Frontier's fault (Because it is).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Section Z posted:

Have you considered appreciating all the immersion improving materials in your hold? Just enjoying the game for what it is?

Nah, Obviously Frontier's fault (Because it is).

:downsbravo:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

deadly_pudding posted:

Is it insane of me to want to use an Asp Explorer as a multi-role ship once I can scrape together the 45 some-odd million I need to kit it out the way I want?

I've got a build that I'm calling the "Angry Truck" that's got 64 tons of cargo, laser turrets, and missile racks, as well as the crap I need for what would be pretty casual Exploration. I could probably even cram a mining rig into it if I strip out the field maintenance kit and detailed surface scanner for a refinery and limpet controllers. Am I spreading myself too thin there?

To clarify, this is mostly to act as a stopgap while I save up and grind rep for either a Python or an Imperial Clipper. I'm not planning to get into big fights with it, maybe some recreational RES bounties. I keep a Vulture handy for when I need to seriously kill something.

Asp Explorer is a great all-around ship at that level and is kind of perfect for what you describe. You're probably just going to end up, like swapping out a big fuel scoop and a cargo rack depending on whether you are exploring or trading.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Yes I am considering that too, it looks like the "best" of the small ships for combat ... though the cost of dying a lot in it could quickly make a dent in my spacewallet.

The iEagle has only 6 maneuverability, I didn't know that :gonk:

Yeah, but it's the fastest ship. So you don't need maneuverability, you just boost like mad away from someone, turn around, boost back and shoot some fuckers up. Then you use your speed to run away again, rinse, repeat. The iEagle is like a lance forged for space jousting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TorakFade posted:

A dedicated explorer ship might cost you more than your budget allows, depending on how souped up your current ships are. Also remember that any explorer wants the Advanced Discovery Scanner which will cost you 1.5 millions on its own (luckily that's pretty much all you need besides the biggest fuel scoop you can fit and A-classing your FSD).

I'd just use the Cobra mkIII, D-specced it has very decent range for a non-dedicated explorer and it can carry whatever you will need out there and then some. Decent range, about 24 LY without weapons / 22 LY with, and good tank.

If you just want to give it a whirl without having to refit your existing stuff, I suggest a Hauler. If you leave out the hangar bay and give up planetside stuff it has 26 LY jump range and you can literally have one for pocket change. I did my first 1000 ly trip in one of those and besides some overheating issues when I got careless it went perfectly fine!

Otherwise if you really want to go planetside, you can fit an Adder, but really the Cobra mkIII is better in every way besides agility - and maybe landing on high G planets since the Cobra is kind of a fat cow.

The DBS is mostly a sidegrade to the Cobra, slightly longer range but can't carry everything you need and costs more to boot; it's more of a long range pure combat ship.

Refitting the Cobra 3 sounds like a good wheeze, especially since right now it's fitted for rares trading and balls to doing that again for a while. I'm not properly infected by Space Madness yet, not exactly booking for Sag A* or anything.

As far as optional internals go, I need the advanced discovery scanner, a good fuel scoop, an SRV hangar, shields... there's something I'm missing, right, something exploration related?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Someone with a VR headset, please go to Betelgeuse and then tell me what it was like coming out of hyperspace and seeing that goddamn star :allears:.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Probably less exciting, it's so goddamn big that there's no perceptible approach when you jump in on it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shine posted:

Someone with a VR headset, please go to Betelgeuse and then tell me what it was like coming out of hyperspace and seeing that goddamn star :allears:.

I'll volunteer tonight if it's not too far to travel in a Cobra3 from goonspace :v:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!
as happens with every update, the brown sea of embarrassing shitposters keeps up their good work https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/266247-Newsletter-129

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shine posted:

The giant stars aren't really impressive visually when you drop in, what's impressive is when you look at your instruments and see your drop in point was like 10000 Ls away from it and it looks like every other star. Also starting to fuel scoop from 5000 Ls away. Also getting to close and getting caught in the gravity well and having to high wake out after taking a poo poo ton of heat damage.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

TRON JEREMY posted:

as happens with every update, the brown sea of embarrassing shitposters keeps up their good work https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/266247-Newsletter-129

Nice meltdown

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ciaphas posted:

I'll volunteer tonight if it's not too far to travel in a Cobra3 from goonspace :v:

wait, theres a goonspace?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, check the thread in PGS.

I just made like 1.5mcr from destroying one base's power generator, spread across four missions that all wanted the same drat thing. Makes mining in my Cobra 4 seem kind of pathetic in comparison, money wise

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, check the thread in PGS.

I just made like 1.5mcr from destroying one base's power generator, spread across four missions that all wanted the same drat thing. Makes mining in my Cobra 4 seem kind of pathetic in comparison, money wise

Yeah, it's the damndest thing that missions seem to actually give decent pay now, Diamond Frogs have given me multiple 1+million credit missions almost every refresh lately.

When I started the best paying missions were 250,000 credits to kill an Elite Anaconda Pirate Lord who could tank your Viper III uphill through the snow both ways :corsair:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It is neat but once in a while an OCD efficiency above all else thing strikes me (as it so often does in games) and makes me not want to mine, even though it's really chill and zen fun :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ciaphas posted:

Refitting the Cobra 3 sounds like a good wheeze, especially since right now it's fitted for rares trading and balls to doing that again for a while. I'm not properly infected by Space Madness yet, not exactly booking for Sag A* or anything.

As far as optional internals go, I need the advanced discovery scanner, a good fuel scoop, an SRV hangar, shields... there's something I'm missing, right, something exploration related?

For the Cobra, I'd go with:

- shields of course

- a 4C or 4B scoop (no need to go for the 4A, it costs a shitton and the benefits aren't that noticeable)

- an SRV hangar, possibly size 4 so it can hold 2 SRVs and you're not screwed if you wreck one while outside the bubble

- Advanced discovery scanner + Detailed surface scanner for that little extra money, but mostly for slapping your name on some icy rocks nobody bothered scanning yet :v:

- a heat sink launcher or two, to get out of the horrible "jumped right in the middle of two close binary stars" situation

- either a cargo rack to pick up some cool poo poo you can find, or an AFM module for when you get too frisky while fuel scooping and take some module damage from heat; any size / class is good, they all weigh 0 tons and you can deactivate them while unneeded to save power.

• Locked thread