Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Did you not see those new list of mats that you can exchange with the new currency? The purple flower one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Huh, Got Arjuna.

Was not expecting to get him from the current event gacha.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 23, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nyaa posted:

Did you not see those new list of mats that you can exchange with the new currency? The purple flower one.

I legit did not see it

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I've just given up on this event. Don't have the time, so I'm just going to aim for the Octuplet Crystals to fully ascend some of my servants.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've had the Three Heroes CE drop four times in a row so far. One more and I can have two Limit Broken CE's from this event which is nice.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

I know that feeling.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Two questions after watching Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night (2006), and beginning F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works...

1. When Saber says that her goal with the Holy Grail is to save her country, is she referring to the long-lost Britain of the past that was presumably wrecked in the war she died in, or is she referring to Britain in general and she knows that some future disaster is going to hit the United Kingdom?

2. Is the ending of Fate/Stay Night with Saber "going back in time" her dream/heaven? I'm assuming it can't possibly be real because her having Excalibur thrown back into the lake and denying her destiny would create a time paradox.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Two questions after
I might be wrong, but here goes:

1) prior one

2) She is a special case where she make a deal with the holy grail as she was dying to undo her 'mistake' of dooming Britain. Since she is not dead yet and thus not recorded into the throne of heroes, the grail summon the real her instead of making a copy like other servant. This allows her to have memories of previous grail war she participated. At the end of the story where she destroyed the grail, she was sent back to her near death timeline as she no longer desire to undo Britain from its destruction and returns her excaliber back to the lake.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Saber wants to use the holy grail to stop Britain from leaving the EU, hope this helps

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Nyaa posted:

I might be wrong, but here goes:

1) prior one

2) She is a special case where she make a deal with the holy grail as she was dying to undo her 'mistake' of dooming Britain. Since she is not dead yet and thus not recorded into the throne of heroes, the grail summon the real her instead of making a copy like other servant. This allows her to have memories of previous grail war she participated. At the end of the story where she destroyed the grail, she was sent back to her near death timeline as she no longer desire to undo Britain from its destruction and returns her excaliber back to the lake.

wtf does any of this mean/how was i supposed to know that? (nasuverse does it again)

Cake Attack posted:

Saber wants to use the holy grail to stop Britain from leaving the EU, hope this helps

lmfao

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

wtf does any of this mean/how was i supposed to know that? (nasuverse does it again)

That's why everyone told you to read the VN instead of watching the anime.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It gets explained somewhere in f/sn, at least the VN. The 2006 anime is a bad adaptation and I'm not sure it ever comes up in UBW

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Small correction, what she made contract with was the World (or Alaya. I'm not entirely sure). The Grail is what she wants out of it.

The Throne of Heroes is something akin to a parallel dimension where the Heroic Spirits dwell. The ritual called the Holy Grail War creates copies of those spirits, and gives them a form of a Servant. The copy is temporary and disappears completely when the Servant is slain. So if you summon the same servant in two consecutive wars he will remember absolutely nothing of what happened to the previous iteration. Saber is an exception to this, because she's still alive- at least within her own frame of reference. Both times when she's summoned, her spirit leaves her body and hijacks the Servant system to be summoned, and when she is desummoned she returns to her body with her memories intact.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 24, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Two questions after watching Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night (2006), and beginning F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works...

1. When Saber says that her goal with the Holy Grail is to save her country, is she referring to the long-lost Britain of the past that was presumably wrecked in the war she died in, or is she referring to Britain in general and she knows that some future disaster is going to hit the United Kingdom?

2. Is the ending of Fate/Stay Night with Saber "going back in time" her dream/heaven? I'm assuming it can't possibly be real because her having Excalibur thrown back into the lake and denying her destiny would create a time paradox.

Obviously sabers story is based on the legend of king Arthur. Within the vn, Arthurian becomes the king and tries to be the ideal of the perfect king, winning many internal wars. After leaving the country to quest for the grail she comes back and finds the country in civil war led by her son. Arthur is then forced to fight and kill all her comrades and is the lone survivor of the battle on a hill of bodies.

As she lies mortally wounded she makes a wish, that if she finds the grail she will wish to go back in time and not pull the sword from the stone as she feels that there could have been someone more suitable to be king.

This wish makes her a special case servant, which is why she appears in two wars in a row and retains her memory from the first war. At the end of the fate route she comes to realise that her time as king was worth it and that she should embrace the pain. Saber is then able to use this resolution to personally reject the grail after she has the chance to gain it, thus breaking the wish.

All this time her original body has been in a state of magical temporal flux. She is returned and able to finish her life with the experience she has acquired.

Basically it's magical time travel and much better explained in the vn

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The usual methods of servant generation is that a photocopy of a dead hero is summoned and destroyed at the end, they cannot gain experience between wars or retain memories.

As saber is not dead, she herself is summoned and fights, then returns to a state of stasis if unsuccessful.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

The usual methods of servant generation is that a photocopy of a dead hero is summoned and destroyed at the end, they cannot gain experience between wars or retain memories.

As saber is not dead, she herself is summoned and fights, then returns to a state of stasis if unsuccessful.

Not completely true, the experiences actually Naruto-style returns to the original dwelling in the Throne; but Archer describes it like reading a book about what you did instead of experiencing it first hand. It's why Archer has Eye of the Mind (True) because he's constantly summoned and fighting things and retains that battle experience afterwards while only vaguely understanding he also probably massacred a bunch of people.

Then you have Nasu vaguely breaking his own rules in F/GO, where Lancer seems to remember Archer.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not completely true, the experiences actually Naruto-style returns to the original dwelling in the Throne; but Archer describes it like reading a book about what you did instead of experiencing it first hand. It's why Archer has Eye of the Mind (True) because he's constantly summoned and fighting things and retains that battle experience afterwards while only vaguely understanding he also probably massacred a bunch of people.

Then you have Nasu vaguely breaking his own rules in F/GO, where Lancer seems to remember Archer.

I'm not sure if the Servant summoning and Alaya deploying Counter Guardians work by the same rules.

From what I remember Rin's quite shocked that Saber remembers being summoned in the fourth.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Aumanor posted:

I'm not sure if the Servant summoning and Alaya deploying Counter Guardians work by the same rules.
The one deployed by Alaya at full power is classified as Grand Servant and they are "summoned as an entirely different entity by the World itself. "

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Nyaa posted:

The one deployed by Alaya at full power is classified as Grand Servant and they are "summoned as an entirely different entity by the World itself. "

I meant all the times Emiya was summoned to "clean up". I don't think the Servant system was involved in any of them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

F/GO is primarily a fanservice game, it's really stretched the "rules" because it'd be pretty boring otherwise.

Then again you could probably just justify it as Chaldea being humanity's literal last hope, so Alaya is much more willing to look the other way.

Now if only it could fix the gacha rates.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 25, 2016

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Raenir Salazar posted:

They know what their copied selves do, but as knowledge, not memories. So while they do remember there's no emotional attachment or such, so most of the time things just get tucked in a corner unless something brings it back up.
He has EoTM(T) because it's the fighting style he developed in life, it has nothing to do with what happened after he died.

(And yes FGO is a fanservice game and they have said that the My Room lines in particular are much more so)

And while there's no confirmation whether CG deployment and Servant summoning work the same, it's fairly clear that the original spirit never leaves the throne, regardless of what exactly happens.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I can't believe the Shirou flashback in Prisma Ilya is still going, and I can't believe it's still so awesome.

I keep saying this, but it's gonna be a real step down when Ilya takes the spotlight again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Unholy Ghost posted:

3) If she takes avalon with her when she vanishes, doesn't that mean she survives her wounds and creates a new timeline anyway?

There's the spinoff I want to see.

EDIT: Bonus points if centuries-old Saber shows up to the third grail war in person to try to stop the corruption from happening in the first place.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 26, 2016

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

Tunicate posted:

EDIT: Bonus points if centuries-old Saber shows up to the third grail war in person to try to stop the corruption from happening in the first place.

HMMMMMM!?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I hope this part of the anime owns, too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i shan't read the manga for pedophiles, sorry all

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
AMA about having all three Gorgon sisters and all of them being garbage

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Don't you dare insult Medusa, you dog.

But yeah, I wish they were better cards. Especially Stheno, who has now become "A completely inferior version of Shuten" if you have her or a support.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rider's stuff in HA is real good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tunicate posted:

3) If she takes avalon with her when she vanishes, doesn't that mean she survives her wounds and creates a new timeline anyway?

She only takes the experience and the lessons she learned back with her.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Schubalts posted:

Don't you dare insult Medusa, you dog.

But yeah, I wish they were better cards. Especially Stheno, who has now become "A completely inferior version of Shuten" if you have her or a support.

Stheno I leveled to 70 with the exp cards and she's alright for the level 80 Rider-Lancer Lotus quest. She deals damage and has health and decently resists the riders, all I can ask of her.

e: Last minute grinding to finish off this event and:

Yeesssss!

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 28, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I have all these orb things and no way to spend any of them because I don't want to grind 400 loving tickets to complete the first half of the quest. I'll never know how the story ends. :smith:

By the way, the cirnopedia has been posting translations for various CEs lately.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have work this afternoon, so I cannot grind any further, with the 10 spriggan drops and 20 golden horns remaining. :( But I would've need another 2,000 lotus's.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So apparently the next patch is going to ban emulators, rooted phones, phones with USB debug, and modded APKs.

:suicide:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rest in Piss

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://web-ace.jp/youngaceup/contents/1000010/episode/

I appreciate that someone seems to have gotten a manga published roughly titled "Dinner at Emiya's", that's just a collection of Shirou cooking for people. It even includes the recipes!

No idea if it's translated anywhere, though.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

-Troika- posted:

So apparently the next patch is going to ban emulators, rooted phones, phones with USB debug, and modded APKs.

:suicide:

It'll be interesting to see how badly DW can gently caress this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

They will A. gently caress it up royally (bind your accounts people!) and B. backpedal real quick after releasing it, because that poo poo can't be good for business