Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

I think we already knew the first two but whatever. FNM promos for July/August/September, in that order:

The best thing WotC can do to boost FNM attendance is to make good FNM promos that people want. It costs them exactly the same no matter what the promo is, but they refuse to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

The best thing WotC can do to boost FNM attendance is to make good FNM promos that people want. It costs them exactly the same no matter what the promo is, but they refuse to do it.

Yea but my investments...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

These FNM promos are embarrassing.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Serperoth posted:

Really? How come? I don't know if my region is so far not the norm, but even I have managed to do something right and get a nomination.
As to conferences, they might be 'special' for them, but I don't know what the habit for that is, with the Exemplar program being new and all.

There was only one L2 in the Entire State where I used to live and Judge. I think that's still the case

It's not that uncommon, plenty of countries might only have a handful of L2s so lots of people out there putting in the work and never getting recognition because its very easy for the Judge community in urban centers to just dominate everything.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm willing to buy that they thought spatial contortion and tendrils would be playable. Not willing to buy that they thought Vestige was playable, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
M-Files on Racool features the cut mechanic of Incurable:"This can't be exiled, returned to its owner's hand, or put into a library from the battlefield"

A version of EMN Emrakul let you control your opponent as soon as you cast it until their next turn (e.g., you controlled their blocks on your turn), but "while the effect itself was brain-melty, when you cast the card and the opponent had one in their hand, all of a sudden we ended up with nested-control turns. It was just more than was really reasonable."

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/mrakul-files-developing-emrakul-2016-06-24

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rinkles posted:

M-Files on Racool features the cut mechanic of Incurable:"This can't be exiled, returned to its owner's hand, or put into a library from the battlefield"

"No really indestructible for real this time" - a bad mechanic

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

:saddowns:

Ciprian Maricon posted:

There was only one L2 in the Entire State where I used to live and Judge. I think that's still the case

It's not that uncommon, plenty of countries might only have a handful of L2s so lots of people out there putting in the work and never getting recognition because its very easy for the Judge community in urban centers to just dominate everything.

That's a real bummer. Hope stuff works out for your community tbh, it's not great when there's not many L2s around.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

"No really indestructible for real this time" - a bad mechanic

You can terminate it... theoretically. Bone splinters is probably the cleanest destruction spell for a 13/13 in standard. Or Ob nix, if I'm naming playables

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 24, 2016

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Wasn't the Azusa card being found in those like Target/Wal-Mart random blister packs that have 3 boosters in them

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This is pretty neat, what's it from?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

BJPaskoff posted:

But if they print BFZ block cards that people actually want as FNM promos, nobody will need to open BFZ anymore. Unlike the current state of affairs, where nine months after its release people are cracking BFZ boxes by the case.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

80s James Hetfield posted:

Wasn't the Azusa card being found in those like Target/Wal-Mart random blister packs that have 3 boosters in them

Yes it was back in march.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Itd be pretty easy to make a reflector mage promo, alongside that other uncommon from oath that see's play in standard

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Big Nothing posted:

Itd be pretty easy to make a reflector mage promo, alongside that other uncommon from oath that see's play in standard

Reflector mage wasn't on their radar before release. They probably plan out promos months in advance.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Snacksmaniac posted:

I have no concept of how the exemplar thing is supposed to work.

You do a lot of volunteer work for WotC and hope your peers notice you, and then maybe you get some expensive cards in the mail months later.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

Reflector mage wasn't on their radar before release. They probably plan out promos months in advance.

Seriously? It was one of the most obvious pushed for constructed uncommons ever.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BJPaskoff posted:

You do a lot of volunteer work for WotC and hope your peers notice you, and then maybe you get some expensive cards in the mail months later.

Specifically, you want your senpai to notice you which is why it screws over people in regions with few L2+ judges.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Seriously? It was one of the most obvious pushed for constructed uncommons ever.

Yeah, apparently they didn't test it for constructed

"A funny anecdote I learned at the Super Sunday Series? Development never played Reflector Mage in Constructed."
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/32331_Beating-Four-Color-Rally.html

Forsythe jokingly confirmed developement specifcally tested uncommon creature Duskwatch Recruiter, obviously referencing the above oversight

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elyv posted:

I'm willing to buy that they thought spatial contortion and tendrils would be playable. Not willing to buy that they thought Vestige was playable, though.

Vestige is clever because it's usually worse than Tendo Ice Bridge, but can be better if you have an Amulet of Vigor. Of course, that one thing doesn't amount to it being an in-demand card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also

M-Files posted:

code:
ID 4/6/15: 2/2 -> 2/3, white-blue needs help.
A big reason that the gold uncommons are in the set is to make sure that there are ways to get people to play each color pair in Limited. It's not the knob we always like to use, but a powerful tool for making sure that the color pairs are balanced is to tweak these gold uncommons late, to get them to the right spot. In this instance white-blue needed a little help, so we added a notch to this to help out.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/m-files-oath-gatewatch-part-2-2016-01-29

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If I was a level 2 everyone would get recognized because seriously.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Serperoth posted:

:saddowns:

That's a real bummer. Hope stuff works out for your community tbh, it's not great when there's not many L2s around.

L3's are rare and the only ones who can make more L2s. It's been a problem for years it's just hard to address unless you drop standards which isn't very desirable.

It's going to be interesting once the upcoming changes mean you'll need an L2 for Comp REL. A lot of stores rely on an in house L1 for their comp REL events and there just aren't enough L2s to go around.

The changes were announced in April, summer is typically a lull for Magic, really gonna be interesting to see how the community respond once demand grows again and suddenly the majority of the judges in a given area can no longer run GPTs or SCG events

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 24, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

L3's are rare and the only ones who can make more L2s. It's been a problem for years it's just hard to address unless you drop standards which isn't very desirable.

It's going to be interesting once the upcoming changes mean you'll need an L2 for Comp REL. A lot of stores rely on an in house L1 for their comp REL events and there just aren't enough L2s to go around.

Organized play might take a serious hit once L1s can't run PPTQs and SCG and TCG player CompREL events

One of the dumbest changes ever.

And all the people for it are idiots. Tons of stores get by with level1's and the excuse that is always repeated is "if they are good enough for pptq's they should be level 2, just get level 2" and that is retarded. The judge system is already convoluted enough. Gee, let me go suck some level2/3's dick so my store can continue doing what it is already doing.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 24, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
July 13th isn't a Friday.

Also, if they want to have cool cards for FNM promos, I would personally add in a full-art, foil Emrakul-themed Wastes since Kozilek and Ulamog have their own themed Wastes and Emrakul didn't get one.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 24, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

July 13th isn't a Friday

It is now'mrakul.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Sickening posted:

One of the dumbest changes ever.

And all the people for it are idiots. Tons of stores get by with level1's and the excuse that is always repeated is "if they are good enough for pptq's they should be level 2, just get level 2" and that is retarded. The judge system is already convoluted enough. Gee, let me go suck some level2/3's dick so my store can continue doing what it is already doing.

I made a mistake first post btw, PPTQ's always needed an L2 but now that requirement extends to every Comp REL event, which is a significant amount of the organized play experience for loads of players.

It's a perfectly reasonable change in a vacuum. The problem is just that this does nothing to address the bottle-neck that the current transition from L1 to L2 while simultaneously raising the requirements as far as Judges are concerned for a significant amount of the events players enjoy right now. It's a baffling decision IMO, even in well populated areas stores scramble to lock down L2's for PPTQ's, I imagine its going to be a kind of nuts once they have to do the same poo poo for the majority of events. If you live in a rural area, or an area with not enough L2s than just lmao, enjoy never playing in nothing but FNMs and GameDays I guess.

It also renders L1 pretty much useless, since anyone certified or not can act as a Judge for an Regular REL event, that might be a bad thing long term for the program.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 24, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

When does that requirement start?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The changes were announced in April, summer is typically a lull for Magic, really gonna be interesting to see how the community respond once demand grows again and suddenly the majority of the judges in a given area can no longer run GPTs or SCG events

Which announcement are you referring to? There's nothing that says L1s can't run GPTs or IQs...

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ciprian Maricon posted:

This isn't true though. Comp REL for IQs and such will still only require L1, L2 is just what they want people who regularly do comp REL events to aim for.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Brownhat posted:

Which announcement are you referring to? There's nothing that says L1s can't run GPTs or IQs...

Um, the one from April?

quote:

Level 1 – Regular REL In-Store Judge. These judges have been trained and certified in Regular REL rules and procedures. They are the ones taking care of the most of the Magic tournaments happening in the world, educating new players on rules and positive behaviors before they go to bigger events.

Level 2 – Competitive REL Judge. These judges have been trained and certified in Competitive REL rules and procedures. They are primarily responsible for premier play in stores, notably the PPTQ circuit. They perform on the floor of Grand Prix and other large events.

If you are a Level 1 judge, the changes make it clear that your focus is Regular REL. If you want to be involved with Competitive REL events, you should be looking to get to Level 2

Skyl3lazer posted:

This isn't true though. Comp REL for IQs and such will still only require L1, L2 is just what they want people who regularly do comp REL events to aim for.

Seriously? That's good I guess, but even dumber, why re-define anything at all? what does it even mean to say they want L2 to be the Judge level for Comp REL if it actually isn't really a requirement and it doesn't matter.

I haven't Judged in months because of that announcement, lmao im retarded

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 24, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Um, the one from April?

Seriously? That's good I guess, but even dumber, why re-define anything at all? what does it even mean to say they want L2 to be the Judge level for Comp REL if it actually isn't really and it doesn't matter.

I haven't Judged in months because of that announcement, lmao im retarded

Are you telling me that the Judge program, which are definitely not employees of WotC/Hasbro, released a murky statement and seem to have communication problems? what a shock

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
People talk poo poo about MTG Finance but post-Brexit my friends have suddenly stopped laughing at me investing in duals and fetches.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Are you telling me that the Judge program, which are definitely not employees of WotC/Hasbro, released a murky statement and seem to have communication problems? what a shock

Inconceivable!
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't mind running events at the local store because it benefits local players and our store but nuts to traveling to lose money to judge at a Hasbro/Star City marketing event.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Angry Grimace posted:

July 13th isn't a Friday.

Also, if they want to have cool cards for FNM promos, I would personally add in a full-art, foil Emrakul-themed Wastes since Kozilek and Ulamog have their own themed Wastes and Emrakul didn't get one.

Blame the Mending. There were shitloads of time rifts; one of them ate enough days to make July 13th a Friday.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Judd Stackington posted:

People talk poo poo about MTG Finance but post-Brexit my friends have suddenly stopped laughing at me investing in duals and fetches.

We have to keep Italian Legends from taking jobs away from good hardworking English-text cards!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
P1P1 Pyrokenesis, and was immediately passed a Sneak Attack. P2P1 I chose Karakas (though I was already on the way to UR) on the off-chance that I could pick up a legendary creature to combo off with. In P3 I opened/was passed Brago. This combination of cards was pretty fantastic, as it turns out.

Too bad I didn't get the combo going with Aven Riftwatcher and gain 4 life a turn, but hey - no complaints here. It pretty much won me the draft, regardless.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

whydirt posted:

We have to keep Italian Legends from taking jobs away from good hardworking English-text cards!

I'm gonna ban out MUD and I'm gonna make suicidesteve pay for it!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Death Bot posted:

I'm gonna ban out MUD and I'm gonna make suicidesteve pay for it!

Joke's on you, I dumped my MUD stocks before they tanked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
this new mindslaver rules change is really loving stupid

• Locked thread