Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

rivetz posted:

$28M/yr. for Joakim Noah :stare:

Also a good point probably already covered in this thread that I read this morning: the Thaddeus Young trade signals even further commitment by the Nets to a full-on tank, but Boston has the rights to swap first-rounders with Brooklyn next season, so that pick could end up being Real, Real Good for the Celtics, in a better draft.

They even could get another Jaylen Brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Papes posted:

Probably only against the Spurs and warriors, which was the best 15 game stretch he played all year by a huge margin

Also the only games that really mattered.

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm on the Papa John train now because he's got a good NBA parent
https://twitter.com/lukewinn/status/746091178135805953

owns

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

rivetz posted:

$28M/yr. for Joakim Noah :stare:

Also a good point probably already covered in this thread that I read this morning: the Thaddeus Young trade signals even further commitment by the Nets to a full-on tank, but Boston has the rights to swap first-rounders with Brooklyn next season, so that pick could end up being Real, Real Good for the Celtics, in a better draft.
It's a sunk cost. The Nets have no incentive to be bad, they have slight incentive to be good (ticket sales, positive trajectory etc...). I think Marks will aggressively target high character role-players in FA to complement the wings he's brought in through the draft and try and create a platform for success.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Metapod posted:

I did! He was noticeably worse during the season then during the playoffs something clicked and he was good again

He shot the 3 really well in the playoffs but I don't see him continuing to shoot 45% from 3 next season. Like I'm not saying he was bad but he isn't the old Serge Ibaka and he's going into his final year and teams are paying absurd amounts of money for big men.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

Someone on reddit posted a thread with links to a bunch of old forum posts from the time of the 2003 draft (aka the Lebron/Darko/Melo/Wade/etc. year), which reminded me that the other day I happened upon the SA thread for that draft while I was looking for something else. Here it is, for those with archives access: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=581124. Unsurprisingly there's quite a bit of Lebron doubt and Darko love, but some people called Lebron as a future GOAT candidate as well.
good job WhyteRyce, standing up to the LeBron hate and Darko hype:

quote:

I'm still not sold on Milcic yet. I think a lot of the hype around this kid is blown out of proportion. Especially considering a lot of the people I hear hyping him have never actually seen him play and rely on a basketball scout's blog to learn about him. The hype around James may be excessively large, but at least we have had plenty of chances to see his athleticism and potential. Hearing some scout call someone the next Dirk does nothing for me, considering guys like "Baby Jordan" and "The Shaq of the Mac" have fallen on their face. Scouts like to toss around these types of terms and compare people with NBA greats in terms of potential, so I don't know why people place so much stock in it.

I know the cool thing to do now is hype all the overseas players for all they are worth, especially with all the Dirk hype and the defeat of America's third rate Dream Team, but this is kind of ridiculous. How many 7 foot white d00ds out of college had lots of potential and were coined to be the next someone? And how many failed? I don't see why Darko is any different.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Niwrad posted:

He shot the 3 really well in the playoffs but I don't see him continuing to shoot 45% from 3 next season. Like I'm not saying he was bad but he isn't the old Serge Ibaka and he's going into his final year and teams are paying absurd amounts of money for big men.

Then let him go in a year. Why mess with the chemistry?

E: I haven't looked at the numbers yet but I'm going to be surprised if this isn't somehow a money saving move by OKC.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
One down year is not enough for me to just give up on Ibaka when he's been a good player for so long, especially given how well he played on the playoffs. And I agree with brolic that Oladipo is both less good than I think people who mostly remember him as a prospect think and also a very weird fit for what OKC needs out of a role player, especially if he's in the starting lineup.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 24, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

this is my favorite tweet ever

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Ishin posted:

What the gently caress are you doing Grunfeld!?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new..._medium=twitter

Hahah

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Here's Oladipo dropping 45 on the NBA CHAMPS LEBRON CAVALIERS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQ4FiUZW2o

Bye, Dion.

straight up brolic posted:

Fantastic.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

MourningView posted:

One down year is not enough for me to just give up on Ibaka when he's been a good player for so long, especially given how well he played on the playoffs. And I agree with brolic that Oladipo is both less good than I think people who mostly remember him as a prospect think and also a very weird fit for what OKC needs out of a role player, especially if he's in the starting lineup.

It wasn't just one down year from Serge, the year before was quite a drop off from the previous 3 as well. His PER, WS, WS/48, BPM, Vorp all looked pretty bad last year compared to the previous 3. I don't know if it's just role change or if the guy has actually gotten worse for some reason, but he's not been the fringe all-star caliber guy for a while.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Pretty happy with Murray and interested to see how well he will play alongside Mudiay.

A Mudiay/Murray/Chandler/Gallo/Nurkic lineup with Nelson/Harris/Lauvergne/Faried/Jokic rotation sounds interesting.

e: No idea what they do with Toupane, Arthur, Sampson, Augustin, Miller though. Gotta think there's some trading that's gonna happen.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 24, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

7 foot white d00ds

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Maxing Noah in hopes of reaching the 7th or 8th seed sounds like the decision of a man who knows he's about to be fired

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Oladipo coming out of the dunk contest tunnel wearing a tuxedo tshirt and fedora and singing so poorly that nicki minaj and rihanna started laughing at him in embarrassment is the peak of his career really

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Remember when Noah got MVP talk? That was 2 years ago. Jesus.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Oladipo coming out of the dunk contest tunnel wearing a tuxedo tshirt and fedora and singing so poorly that nicki minaj and rihanna started laughing at him in embarrassment is the peak of his career really

Sounds like the perfect sidekick to Russell if you ask me and even if you don't ask me

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

a shameful boehner posted:

Pretty happy with Murray and interested to see how well he will play alongside Mudiay.

A Mudiay/Murray/Chandler/Gallo/Nurkic lineup with Nelson/Harris/Lauvergne/Faried/Jokic rotation sounds interesting.

e: No idea what they do with Toupane, Arthur, Sampson, Augustin, Miller though. Gotta think there's some trading that's gonna happen.
Jokic's gotta start for you guys. Too good and too young not to play 30+ minutes. Arguably better than KAT once he came on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I agree with this man.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

This trade is the perfect summary of Oladipo's career to date: It looks good, but when you really look at it, it doesn't seem like it contributes to winning.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Someone on reddit posted a thread with links to a bunch of old forum posts from the time of the 2003 draft (aka the Lebron/Darko/Melo/Wade/etc. year), which reminded me that the other day I happened upon the SA thread for that draft while I was looking for something else. Here it is, for those with archives access: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=581124. Unsurprisingly there's quite a bit of Lebron doubt and Darko love, but some people called Lebron as a future GOAT candidate as well.

It's kind of surreal how down a lot of people were on Lebron, it seems almost impossible to think about now. Not that I blame them, with that much hype surrounding a high school player it's only natural to be repulsed at least a little bit.

Of course then he dropped a 20/5/6 in his rookie season as a 19 year old and it was just off to the races from there. :stare:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

yo the strength of BIZORTs takes is phenomenal

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Now I want to get the archives upgrade to laugh at myself.

Man, you guys are really down on Oladipo. He's a young dude who has been getting better every season, and he will be good as a 3rd/4th banana.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 24, 2016

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I think it would be spectacular if somehow Cleveland played Detroit on the first day of the season and he tried one of his "HEHE I CAN DUNK HIGH SCHOOL" plays on Ben Wallace. Oh boy the person in the 8th row would be delighted when the ball landed in their lap.

e: I think LeBron will end up figuring out what the truth is in the NBA once he gets there: he's too young and too tiny to compete against the big men.

i love this so much! it's not really remarkable or productive to laugh at old wrong takes but dang if it isn't funny

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 24, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MourningView posted:

I think his knee is hosed and that's why he's been getting worse. Athletic bigs just don't seem to bounce back when their knees start to go.

And while he played better in the playoffs, the team didn't have a dropoff (they were actually better) defensively when he was on the bench during it.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

Super Jay Mann posted:

It's kind of surreal how down a lot of people were on Lebron, it seems almost impossible to think about now. Not that I blame them, with that much hype surrounding a high school player it's only natural to be repulsed at least a little bit.

Of course then he dropped a 20/5/6 in his rookie season as a 19 year old and it was just off to the races from there. :stare:

I don't remember what I thought at the time, but I'm sure part of people's hesitation was Kwame was 2 years in and clearly a disappointment; a lot of people didn't want to be fooled again.

Also, I know hindsight is 20-20 and at the time a lot of people thought it was a good idea, but to miss so hard in that top 5 :stonk: Detroit. I'll just never get used to the fact that a very good Pistons team could have just added Melo, Wade or Bosh

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This trade is the perfect summary of Oladipo's career to date: It looks good, but when you really look at it, it doesn't seem like it contributes to winning.

I think Oladipo as #1 option vs Oladipo as #3 option (with #1 and #2 being historically elite offensive players) is much different.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

that op post :allears:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I think Oladipo as #1 option vs Oladipo as #3 option (with #1 and #2 being historically elite offensive players) is much different.
fair! to be clear, I think he could be good, he's just not there yet.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fast Luck posted:

A rare correct draft call for me. Please don't look up my Thomas Robinson take

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Coaaab posted:

that op post :allears:

It's so beautiful.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Darko!!!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/strictlyknicks/status/746359819083386880

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
LeBron definitely did not become the next Tracey McGrady so at least he nailed that part

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Here's my take dipo seems like a fun exciting player and I like fun

E: that bizort post :eyepop:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't blame anyone for not watching the Magic because they've been bad (though I would argue very fun) for the last few years, but it's really obvious a lot of people have barely seen Oladipo play. He's not great at anything, which is the death knell of careers in the NBA. He has a very cool looking way of moving and he can occasionally go off, but he has no reliable skills that he can go to game after game. He can create his own shot a little bit, shoot a little bit, defend a little bit, but on any given day might not be able to do any of the above. He takes a lot of long twos, dribbles a lot, and generally just looks like a guy built to be a minor star in the late 90s, or the D-league. He's very cool though and will get a chance to go up against inferior defense and backups thanks to being on a team with 2 of the best 5 players in the league, so he's going to look a lot better than he is on the Thunder. Expect him to be irritatingly over rated in future years of NBA 2k.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Any other foreign bigs who would like a home in OKC this year? Could a deal be made for Valanciunas? Is Jan Vesely available? Surely he's not up to much.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Big Bro and Little Bro.

gonna miss those two.

Though holy loving poo poo if the Wizards pay that due 28 Million. Get that check Noah Get that check.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/kanellospapagia/status/740155857820913664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Metapod posted:

Here's my take dipo seems like a fun exciting player and I like fun

E: that bizort post :eyepop:

His post is the amazing divine intervention scene from Pulp Fiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ae6B7C05Nk&t=68s

• Locked thread