Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

the only true tank is reinhardt when you think about it

that's really rude to winston and whatever future of version of dva that hopefully doesn't have a dumb crit hitbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Reinhardt is the only true tank in that he can prevent an appreciable amount of damage from reaching his team in a reliable manner. I guess this is why people think playing him is like playing WoW and they only heal him, then wonder why nothing ever gets done when the tank is the healthiest person and the damage dealers are being picked off left right and center by anyone who cares to step behind or around the shield.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

that's really rude to winston and whatever future of version of dva that hopefully doesn't have a dumb crit hitbox

winston doesn't really tank tho

he's really good but that's not his job

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

winston doesn't really tank tho

he's really good but that's not his job

in king of the hill maps he does build a safe spot for his team like reinhardt does on normal maps

I mean I'm just going with the 'helps your team absorb damage without giving the enemy shitloads of ults' definition here

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bolow posted:

He's flanker protection and does the largest medium range burst damage in the game

rifle guy does it better

the only reason you'd play the revolver guy is for his insta kill

im still new to the game, but people flanking you isnt really a problem considering how chokepointy the maps are.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea but winston does a lot more than just drop the shield even when he doesn't have ult, unlike reinhardt who mostly just walks forward being a wall between earthshatters. all of the tanks but reinhardt either have something else to do or can't tank for poo poo in the first place

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dongicus posted:

rifle guy does it better

Revolver guy is a cool cowboy that you can make say "I'm your Huckleberry"

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Dongicus posted:

rifle guy does it better

not really, no

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea but winston does a lot more than just drop the shield even when he doesn't have ult, unlike reinhardt who mostly just walks forward being a wall between earthshatters. all of the tanks but reinhardt either have something else to do or can't tank for poo poo in the first place

From waatching pro reinhardts it definitely seems like they spend a good amount of time without the shield up though, imo. Like, debbett definitely makes good use of the hammer to clear a space for his teammates.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Spanish Manlove posted:

Revolver guy is a cool cowboy that you can make say "I'm your Huckleberry"

My man

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dongicus posted:

im still new to the game, but people flanking you isnt really a problem considering how chokepointy the maps are.

:allears:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

hmm hitscan automatic rifle with no recoil versus single shot hitscan weapon thats difficult to click heads with because the heads on the models are indecipherable due to retarded cluttered designs and weird skins

prove me wrong? i've not played all the maps yet

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Basically good Reinhardt play balances offensive play with defensive. Yeah, your shield is useful and all but if there's nobody shooting at it, or if they're close enough that they're in hammer range, the best thing to do is just clear the area with your hammer as otherwise you're just being slow, useless and not particularly helpful.

Your hammer can be used to force people back while your shield moves people forward.

Dongicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvY8en9wwts

The maps are way, way open for anyone with even slight mobility options.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dongicus posted:

Hanamura A is kind of the only map without at least one decent flank past the choke though. Well, McCree can't really use the flank on Volskaya or some others so it's sort of moot I guess.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

That and Winky Face are the best ones in the game and I wish you could bind buttons to do multiple things as voice would be on space bar or left click.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Dongicus posted:

hmm hitscan automatic rifle with no recoil versus single shot hitscan weapon thats difficult to click heads with because the heads on the models are indecipherable due to retarded cluttered designs and weird skins

All I do is flank

Most maps have an alt route for flankers that people can't use unless they fly or can wall run

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dongicus posted:

rifle guy does it better

Dongicus posted:

Acting like a complete know-it-all despite barely having played the game, I can already tell you're gonna be a real valuable addition to the Overwatch community.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

henkman posted:

not really, no

Actually yes? Like this isn't even debatable, with McCree nerfed the guys who absorbed most of his usage where Roadhog and Soldier, the first does a better job deleting 200HP heroes (far better than McCree), the second has sustain and is better at midrange and longer, so much so that Soldier is being subbed for what Widow used to do.

I think McCree needs a bit of rework, the damage nerf was good as it opened up a lot of new characters being used (Roadhog, Soldier, Reaper), IMHO they need to drop the reload from combat roll, improve the distance it moves you, and decrease the cooldown. Buff FTH to 50 damage, add a longer reload animation, and make the spread vertical. His right click could do with a 50 not 35 damage minimum. This helps differentiate him from Roadhog without completely overshadowing or being overshadowed by him. He'd be faster, noticeably better at range, but not have the raw sustain or stun range Roadhog does in exchange.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I'm brand new to the game and haven't played all the maps but let me tell you how the balance shakes out prove me wrong

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
also burden of proof is on the people not making ridiculous claims :ironicat:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dongicus posted:

rifle guy does it better

Soldier isn't very good at eliminating any of the major flanker classes unless he has helix up, or the flankers are poo poo. He's just an all around solid mid-long range dps that deals consistent damage.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

mcvey posted:

I'm brand new to the game and haven't played all the maps but let me tell you how the balance shakes out prove me wrong

its a casual game so idc about balance im just confused as to why they couldnt just merge certain characters together

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Many play similar roles differently and are stronger or weaker against different team comps.

Dongicus posted:

skin jewery

:eyepop:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Dongicus posted:

its a casual game so idc about balance im just confused as to why they couldnt just merge certain characters together

because the characters are actually quite different from each other, people in general prefer to have more variety and choice, and it provides more opportunities for strategy in your picks and how you use each character, etc.

it's like asking "why does chess have so many different pieces, couldn't we merge like this castle one with this weird pointy one, they don't seem that different" cause then you might as well play checkers

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

because the characters are actually quite different from each other, people in general prefer to have more variety and choice, and it provides more opportunities for strategy in your picks and how you use each character, etc.

it's like asking "why does chess have so many different pieces, couldn't we merge like this castle one with this weird pointy one, they don't seem that different" cause then you might as well play checkers

one of the pieces is the castle guy + the pointy guy tho

actually having played some capablanca chess which has other merged pieces it's pretty fun fwiw.

But :agreed: that more choices = a good thing, weird how that works out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

From waatching pro reinhardts it definitely seems like they spend a good amount of time without the shield up though, imo. Like, debbett definitely makes good use of the hammer to clear a space for his teammates.

we must not be watching the same games because like 90% of the time they've had the shield up and most of the rest was throwing firestrikes or doing earthshatters

like yea sometimes a reinhardt is gonna have to fight dudes but mostly they just block damage, whereas with winston it's the other way around

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Kerrrrrrr posted:

so are you expected to just keep countering other classes then?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I dunno I was at work while watching but I had the impression that c9 debbett left clicks as reinhardt a lot.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zoness posted:

one of the pieces is the castle guy + the pointy guy tho

actually having played some capablanca chess which has other merged pieces it's pretty fun fwiw.

But :agreed: that more choices = a good thing, weird how that works out.

hush you, don't ruin my analogy

Dongicus posted:

so are you expected to just keep countering other classes then?

yes. that's a major part of the game.

or you can be cool like me and just play junkrat in every game

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
McCree is strong as gently caress and if you're good at aiming literally nobody else does nearly as much damage as him at his effective range.

Like, it's loving ludicrous how much damage you do to tanks if you plug them in the head. Soldier could only hope to do that much.

e: I say this as someone who has soldier as their most played hero. I really like playing as McCree because he's far more precise but it's actually rewarded heavily because holy moly destroying Roadhog with couple of headshots is fun as hell. You'd have to use at least a clip and a helix rocket to do that much damage as soldier.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 24, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zoness posted:

I dunno I was at work while watching but I had the impression that c9 debbett left clicks as reinhardt a lot.

a lot as reinhardt does not compare to a lot as literally any other class tho

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

oh thats cool enough i guess.

just need to remove ultimate abilities and i'll buy a overwatch av, gangtag, and sig.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dongicus posted:

oh thats cool enough i guess.

just need to remove ultimate abilities and i'll buy a overwatch av, gangtag, and sig.

Or learn to listen for, avoid, and counter ults.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
you could play the double shotgun guy too, he has this button that makes him not die to anything for like 3 seconds, including ults

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MacheteZombie posted:

i don't actually like ults, or at least their frequency, despite doing those things

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

quote:

or you can be bad like me and just play lucio in every game

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

MacheteZombie posted:

please tell me the method for dodging the ult that instantly kills you with only a brief voice cue

maybe like half their ult meter when they die or something. you gain it far too fast

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 24, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
People are getting smarter with their ult usage and their knowledge of the typical tells and that's cool.

Although the smart thing to do is assume your enemy has ult always and any attempts to move into certain positions should raise red flags.

e: There's only one literal instant kill ult in the game really and that's Deadeye, and McCree glows bright red. All the others either have travel time, do damage over time, or give such a huge loving warning that if you die to them you kind of had it coming.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i don't mind that there are buttons which kill a person quickly/instantly, that's basically just a sniper but from close range. if i hated dying quickly i wouldn't be playing fps games. what bothers me about ults is how large they tend to be, and how common they are; team fights regularly open with 2-3 ults and maybe pepper another one in there somewhere, not counting Mercy rezzes which may happen twice over a prolonged engagement. it's just a bit too much in my humble opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dongicus posted:

please tell me the method for dodging the ult that instantly kills you with only a brief voice cue

ults don't necessarily instantly kill you, they all do set damage

junkrat riptires and tracer pulse bombs can be tanked with lucio's ult and some classes can tank them to the face with some armor/symmetra shields. you can get through a lot of them by killing the guy that's using it (pharah, reaper, etc), stunning them with mccree or roadhog (stops the ult entirely), blocking it with a shield from reinhardt, winston, or zarya, using an ability (tracer, mei, and reaper can all go invulnerable for a bit) or by using your own ult (torb and winston get more health and can tank p much anything if they ult fast enough). you have options

e: also genji can reflect mei, zarya, and hanzo's ults back in their face and any shield stops rienhardt's ult entirely