Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Why don't you drink it black?

And why don't you just add cinnamon AFTER it brews to avoid the problem? You aren't going to taste a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
hey shut up and stop giving her the attention she's desperate for ty and god bless

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Zephyrine posted:

Okay new topic. Coffee chat.

Oh i can't wait to see what you'll be wrong about this time. :allears:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

dialhforhero posted:

Why don't you drink it black?

I need milk in my coffee.

dialhforhero posted:

And why don't you just add cinnamon AFTER it brews to avoid the problem? You aren't going to taste a difference.

It floats around all powdery and feels bad in the mouth when I drink.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hey I hear we freeported Pandemic Chode's home system that's neato

How's the war going? I've been playing Overwatch and Total Warhammer and not eve.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

she didnt do anything actually reportable so what other options are there

responding to the question she asked without drawing attention to the politics of it. And then if you have an off-topic issue about their posting in the thread at all, bring it up here. Not that the TDB thread did any better. I un-subbed from that one a few days ago.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

ChickenWing posted:

How's the war going? I've been playing Overwatch and Total Warhammer and not eve.

The war is literally turning today in GSFs favour.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Sov is a house of sticks now, it falls when anyone decides to attack

edit: straw

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 24, 2016

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

ChickenWing posted:

we won

alternatively

we lost

take your pick

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

we won

alternatively

we lost

take your pick

we won, therefore we have sov, therefore, in our heart of hearts, we lost?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Ugh, coffee talk, my weakness. Now I'm gonna have to read a Dephyrine post.

So, first off, cinnamon is extremely hydrophobic; it doesn't absorb water. (After all, it's the dried-out bark of a tree. Its entire purpose is to repel excess water.) So that's not your problem.

As for why you're just noticing this -- there are different grades of cinnamon. Not only are there different grades of quality, but there's also six different species of tree commonly referred to as cinnamon, and they have significantly different textures and flavors. Chances are, your original jar of cinnamon was Ceylon cinnamon (C. verum), and your new jar is Chinese cinnamon (C. cassia). I keep both in the house -- Ceylon is better for coffee and cold desserts, Chinese is better for baking.

Please don't put cinnamon in your coffee grinder. I'm assuming you've got a proper conical burr coffee grinder; it'll gently caress that poo poo right up. (If you're talking about some sort of whirly blade grinder, then it won't damage it, but please don't use whirly grinders for coffee. They produce really insistent grind which means inconsistent extraction which means terrible coffee.) Use a dedicated spice grinder, or just hand chop it with a knife.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

ullerrm posted:

As for why you're just noticing this -- there are different grades of cinnamon. Not only are there different grades of quality, but there's also six different species of tree commonly referred to as cinnamon, and they have significantly different textures and flavors. Chances are, your original jar of cinnamon was Ceylon cinnamon (C. verum), and your new jar is Chinese cinnamon (C. cassia). I keep both in the house -- Ceylon is better for coffee and cold desserts, Chinese is better for baking.

That's odd because they are both the same brand and even the same jar. Though the old jar was something like 8 years old.

ullerrm posted:

Please don't put cinnamon in your coffee grinder. I'm assuming you've got a proper conical burr coffee grinder; it'll gently caress that poo poo right up. (If you're talking about some sort of whirly blade grinder, then it won't damage it, but please don't use whirly grinders for coffee. They produce really insistent grind which means inconsistent extraction which means terrible coffee.) Use a dedicated spice grinder, or just hand chop it with a knife.

It's a whirly metal blade grinder. I make 1.5 litres of coffee every morning. If I had to hand grind a cup of beans every morning I would have to set my alarm half an hour early.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
I remember when the EVE thread was about EVE.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm sorry, deadtear

Zephyrine posted:

That's odd because they are both the same brand and even the same jar. Though the old jar was something like 8 years old.

It's a whirly metal blade grinder. I make 1.5 litres of coffee every morning. If I had to hand grind a cup of beans every morning I would have to set my alarm half an hour early.

You can get electric burr grinders. Please do not use blade grinders.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Baculus posted:

dark times

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Baculus posted:

That never ends well.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Baculus posted:

thats the other eve thread this thread is about :spergin:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
does GSF actually want PB, Fade, and Dek back? or is it more going to be a purge, and then stay in Saranen?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
yes

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
did you guys lose yet

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Eonwe posted:

did you guys lose yet

I think all sides are "we set out to do a thing, and :effort: beat everyone".

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Eonwe posted:

did you guys lose yet

yes

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
how long have you been byob ik

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I set a reaction pos up.

Holy poo poo you guys worth joking, what a lovely interface and convoluted process.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Landsknecht posted:

does GSF actually want PB, Fade, and Dek back? or is it more going to be a purge, and then stay in Saranen?

the running topic is sous vide thanks

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Xolve posted:

I think all sides are "we set out to do a thing, and :effort: beat everyone".

the fabian strategy actually worked, but it was probably fairly pyrrhic as GSF is now a 15k member alliance with the capability of forming 100-200 dudes

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Landsknecht posted:

GSF is now a 15k member alliance with the capability of forming 100-200 dudes

y'all seem pretty worried about 100-200 man fleets for some reason

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Zephyrine posted:

:stonk:

They make powered burr grinders; please buy one. The grinder is literally the most important part of the process if you care about coffee flavor, because it's how you get consistent extraction.

(Here comes the :spergin:)

Coffee has many different flavor compounds in it, and they all dissolve at different rates and different temperatures. Generally, the ones that dissolve fast have all the citrus and salty flavors; the ones that dissolve medium-speed have the sweetness and fruit and cocoa flavors; the ones that dissolve slowly have the bitterness and astringency notes.

* If you brew coffee too quickly, you only get the compounds that dissolve very quickly, and the rest of the good stuff is still left behind in the ground beans (called under-extraction) -- the coffee will be sour, a little salty, and will have little or no aftertaste.
* If you brew it too long, you get all the compounds, even the unpleasant ones that dissolve very slowly (over-extraction) -- it's bitter, it feels "rough" and dries out your tongue, and has a strong lingering aftertaste.
* A perfect cuppa brews in the middle, so you get sweetness and cocoa and acidity and a little bit of bitterness without being overpoweringly sour or bitter.

When you grind coffee in a whirly blade grinder, you get a big mix of particles of different sizes -- some have been hit repeatedly and are practically powder, while some chunks managed to avoid the blade a lot and are big. That variation is going to appear in your coffee; the little tiny particles have tons of surface area and will individually over-extract, and the huge pieces have relatively little surface area (because the water doesn't penetrate to the center of it) and will individually under-extract. So now you've got the worst of both worlds -- you've got all the sourness from the boulders, and all the bitterness and astringency from the finings, and it's just awful.

If you use a burr grinder, all the chunks come out the same size, so they'll all extract at the same rate. Extraction starts when you start pouring in water, and stops when you stop pouring, so you can control what you want to extract from the coffee.

(If you have a Netflix sub, go watch the espresso episode of Good Eats. Alton actually demonstrates with a microscope why you don't use whirly blade grinders.)

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Glory of Arioch posted:

Well- it's not like we started a 1 hour pod cast every saturday to talk about the stats of a hostile alliance or anything

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Xolve posted:

Well- it's not like we started a 1 hour pod cast every saturday to talk about the stats of a hostile alliance or anything

someone had to take over for Gevlon ayyyyy

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

confirming that the meat show started in 2016

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
coffee is disgusting i just drink 4 liters of diet coke a day to remain functional, but i think i've said this before

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

coffee is disgusting i just drink 4 liters of diet coke a day to remain functional, but i think i've said this before

:rip: kidneys

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Elsa posted:

I liked dailies and the SP.

also, I have some feedback about the discord auth instructions, they're totally not idiot proof. It doesn't say to hit enter til step 2, so I ended up typing !authme Elsa Praise Lowtax and then hitting Enter. My gut instinct told me no, it must mean hit Enter at step 1 also, but instructions are instructions :shrug:

edit:

I cleaned up the instructions per your advice, thank you!

I think really they should just start new chars at 10m free SP and call it a day.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

ullerrm posted:

:stonk:

They make powered burr grinders; please buy one. The grinder is literally the most important part of the process if you care about coffee flavor, because it's how you get consistent extraction.

(Here comes the :spergin:)

Coffee has many different flavor compounds in it, and they all dissolve at different rates and different temperatures. Generally, the ones that dissolve fast have all the citrus and salty flavors; the ones that dissolve medium-speed have the sweetness and fruit and cocoa flavors; the ones that dissolve slowly have the bitterness and astringency notes.

* If you brew coffee too quickly, you only get the compounds that dissolve very quickly, and the rest of the good stuff is still left behind in the ground beans (called under-extraction) -- the coffee will be sour, a little salty, and will have little or no aftertaste.
* If you brew it too long, you get all the compounds, even the unpleasant ones that dissolve very slowly (over-extraction) -- it's bitter, it feels "rough" and dries out your tongue, and has a strong lingering aftertaste.
* A perfect cuppa brews in the middle, so you get sweetness and cocoa and acidity and a little bit of bitterness without being overpoweringly sour or bitter.

When you grind coffee in a whirly blade grinder, you get a big mix of particles of different sizes -- some have been hit repeatedly and are practically powder, while some chunks managed to avoid the blade a lot and are big. That variation is going to appear in your coffee; the little tiny particles have tons of surface area and will individually over-extract, and the huge pieces have relatively little surface area (because the water doesn't penetrate to the center of it) and will individually under-extract. So now you've got the worst of both worlds -- you've got all the sourness from the boulders, and all the bitterness and astringency from the finings, and it's just awful.

If you use a burr grinder, all the chunks come out the same size, so they'll all extract at the same rate. Extraction starts when you start pouring in water, and stops when you stop pouring, so you can control what you want to extract from the coffee.

(If you have a Netflix sub, go watch the espresso episode of Good Eats. Alton actually demonstrates with a microscope why you don't use whirly blade grinders.)

I'll have to look into one of those then. My blade grinder cuts the beans into a powder so fine you could use it to paint.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

how long have you been byob ik

close to a couple weeks i think, they usually let people be Ik for about a month

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Shut up about food you nerds, I don't give a gently caress.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

I cleaned up the instructions per your advice, thank you!

I think really they should just start new chars at 10m free SP and call it a day.

IMO the best would be a series of one-off storyline missions that reward you with levels of certain skills or something, so a new player could roll around, learn mechanics, and come out being able to fly cruisers decently

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

these 100-200 man fleets really suck when they dock as soon as you try and fight

no honour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

-Troika- posted:

Shut up about food you nerds, I don't give a gently caress.

no

• Locked thread