Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

You will feel this way when you try to level any class that isn't your main since you (probably) won't have msq or sidequests to distract you.

Personally, I'm dreading leveling any DPS classes because I'm used to tank and healer queue times. Right now I'm cheating Summoner by learning to heal with Scholar.

Of course, I could just play with more friends...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Unknown Quantity posted:

Fists of Wind is worthless on BRD due to Swiftsong but the others might like it if they have a free fifth cross-class slot. Which I'm pretty sure DRG does.

As someone who likes to PvP as DRG, I would be so happy if we got Fists of Wind. But we won't. I mean, wouldn't monks be annoyed if dragoons could have Fists of Wind on full time in combat while monks themselves basically can't because it'd be a DPS hit not to use Fists of Fire? I'd love it, though!

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

KoB posted:

Is that really an issue? Having to play the game is a problem?

A lot of the MSQ is pretty boring filler that could be trimmed away though, now that there's more (actually good) content to keep players occupied. Having to go through lots of tedium to get to the good parts is not encouraging, even though you might argue it's the core of MMO gameplay.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Bobfly posted:

A lot of the MSQ is pretty boring filler that could be trimmed away though, now that there's more (actually good) content to keep players occupied.

Pray return to the Waking Sands.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Unknown Quantity posted:

Pray return to the Waking Sands.

"Cataclysm" should be the invention of cell phones.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bobfly posted:

A lot of the MSQ is pretty boring filler that could be trimmed away though, now that there's more (actually good) content to keep players occupied. Having to go through lots of tedium to get to the good parts is not encouraging, even though you might argue it's the core of MMO gameplay.
My small group is going through the main questline for the first time.

We don't mind the eight billion cutscenes, but there are far too many "collect nine bear asses" or "go over there and hand this guy a letter" quests in the main line. Those should be optional sidequests.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

My small group is going through the main questline for the first time.

We don't mind the eight billion cutscenes, but there are far too many "collect nine bear asses" or "go over there and hand this guy a letter" quests in the main line. Those should be optional sidequests.

I still shudder a bit whenever I think of the stupid feast you need to prepare before you fight Titan. :v:

It had a good punchline at least, but like 99% of that was not necessary in the slightest.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'd be all in favor of condensing some of ARR for new players, but I think Heavensward is streamlined enough as is that it's fine.

Heavensward has been really well executed in the story department all around.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

KoB posted:

IIRC you will need HW for PS4 as well.

To get the free month? Amazon has the PS4 digital code for $10. I don't actually want to play on the PS4, just use some store credit on a subscription month.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

synthetik posted:

To get the free month? Amazon has the PS4 digital code for $10. I don't actually want to play on the PS4, just use some store credit on a subscription month.
You are fine only getting ARR if all you want is to get an extra month on the cheap.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

dmboogie posted:

I still shudder a bit whenever I think of the stupid feast you need to prepare before you fight Titan. :v:

It had a good punchline at least, but like 99% of that was not necessary in the slightest.

I actually kind of liked that bit. It can be streamlined, but I think it does a good job establishing just how serious a threat the primals are and does a good bit of world building. I hope they don't eliminate it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I wish this wasn't a monthly sub. That's really the only reason I don't play. I tried it and it was fun, but not $10+ a month fun.

I'd easily play and enjoy the hell out of it GW2 style 'buy once play until servers die'.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solumin posted:

I actually kind of liked that bit. It can be streamlined, but I think it does a good job establishing just how serious a threat the primals are and does a good bit of world building. I hope they don't eliminate it.

Most people are talking about the 2.x quests which are tedious filler because they were meant to be content to last for months between content patches. Now however its just tedious filler for the sake of tedious filler.

The trials and dungeons are great though and the non fetch quests are great.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Solumin posted:

There was some nice characterization, yeah, especially with the deserter guy. I think my resentment of it was mostly because Titan had been hyped up to me as being when the game started being metal af and I wanted to get to him as soon as I could.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

khy posted:

I wish this wasn't a monthly sub. That's really the only reason I don't play. I tried it and it was fun, but not $10+ a month fun.

I'd easily play and enjoy the hell out of it GW2 style 'buy once play until servers die'.

there are games like that but they ain't getting the updates a game like this gets

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Most people are talking about the 2.x quests which are tedious filler because they were meant to be content to last for months between content patches. Now however its just tedious filler for the sake of tedious filler.

The trials and dungeons are great though and the non fetch quests are great.

I just worked through the 2.x stuff myself a couple weeks ago. It definitely needs to be cut down by a lot.

khy posted:

What convinced me to pay was by figuring out how much I would have to play per month to get my money's worth. Think of it as dollars per hour instead of a subscription. This approach may make your feel obliged to play the game though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

khy posted:

We wouldn't be getting legitimately good content updates and expansions if that was the case though.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Farg posted:

there are games like that but they ain't getting the updates a game like this gets

GW2 updates every two weeks.

Although until recently they were then removing content that was more than four weeks old, because ... uh ... who even knows.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This is the only game with a sub I play, and it costs about as much as a single lunch. On paper it might suck to pay for something monthly, but in practice it's probably the cheapest thing I do.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Xenoveritas posted:

Although until recently they were then removing content that was more than four weeks old, because ... uh ... who even knows.

Unfortunately a lot of that content is some of the most aggressively poorly written fanfiction I have ever seen in an MMO.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

KoB posted:

Trying to get friends to play the game with me while the gulf between me and new players expands is a problem.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zero The Hero posted:

Trying to get friends to play the game with me while the gulf between me and new players expands is a problem.

With level sync this isn't really that much of a problem unless you're one of those people who recruit friends to WoW and then go "Welp, see you at level cap!"

I recruited two friends to this game and tanked every single dungeon they hit from 15-50 and we had good times.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Xenoveritas posted:

Tiny little lovely droplets of bad content

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As a broken human being, I appreciated doing more damage and having to hit fewer buttons and was actually sad when I had to go to 123123123123 rather than 1111111111 :shobon:

It gets a little old after a while, but it is kind of fun to slum it now and then and help a newbie out with Sastasha or something and spam ID for 20 minutes

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

With level sync this isn't really that much of a problem unless you're one of those people who recruit friends to WoW and then go "Welp, see you at level cap!"

I recruited two friends to this game and tanked every single dungeon they hit from 15-50 and we had good times.

That works for leveling, but not questing. The game just isn't built around questing as a group. I just end up hanging around like some poor excuse for a PL, to be used every once in a while to shave a couple minutes off a quest.

Unfortunately a lot of that content is some of the most aggressively poorly written fanfiction I have ever seen in an MMO.

Never read the GW2 novels?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I would like to hear more about other MMOs writing because I really do apprechiate people saying how great 14 is and is worth the time and investment

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The only other MMO I can think of with good or interesting writing is The Secret World.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
2.x MSQ has a lot of the worst kind of ping pong walking quest poo poo in it, if you're patient enough to wade through that it's ok I guess.

The good parts in the game are *really* good though, and somehow keep getting better. Which is why I hope 4.0 trims all the poo poo out of 2.x MSQ into lovely sidequests and I can get my friends to come play with me. When yoship said they'll trim it I hope they make it like 3.x msq, where it's just a couple quests per level/patch, but they're pretty much all quality content (or things you can skip through really quick if you're the kind of monster that skips cutscenes).

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don't play a whole ton of MMOs but I like FFXIV for the most part because it has actual characters. Like, I play GW2 and I can't really tell you anything about the characters. I didn't play through the first season but for the Personal Story or whatever, I thought the only one that was remotely memorable was Tybalt. It's definitely to GW2's benefit that they pretty much just let you ignore the story, although maybe that contributes to it being kind of lackluster in the first place.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It didn't help that GW2 fairly rapidly funneled the early character plot lines into the same generic "Watch the green Mary Sue save the day" nonsense. We already had WoW for that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KoB posted:

"Cataclysm" should be the invention of cell phones.

They already have cellphones.

Cataclysm should be NPCs realising they should just use the loving things.

KoB posted:

The 2.0 and especially 2.x MSQs have a ton of bad filler that needs pruning. Also, the 2.x story stuff ends with a cutscene that just brushes over a bunch of cool stuff you should have actually been playing through.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tortolia posted:

The only other MMO I can think of with good or interesting writing is The Secret World.

SWTOR has its ups and downs (with the Imperial Agent being very high and the Trooper past their first act being low) but at this point you're basically just playing a single-player Bioware RPG that happens to have other people running around. Like FFXIV it's a pretty character-focused story, with the additional benefit of your player characters actually having well defined personalities.

The Secret World's writing is incredible but the combat's mediocre at best and kinda kills my motivation. It's not a subscription, at the very least.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

synthetik posted:

Since nobody else answered you, activating ARR on a PS3 and PS4 each get you a free month of playtime (as I'd imagine the Mac one does, but I can't confirm), but there's an important point:

You can only activate PS3/PS4 if you actually have access to the console. You don't just enter the code on mogstation, you need to install the full game on the console, then you permanently link your PSN account to your mog account. Once the registration is done on the console, you'll have your free month added (and can play all ARR content on the console if you aren't just borrowing one from a friend)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Regarding DRG low level stuff: I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but 20 potency is not worth your sanity. If you want to push more buttons, push more buttons. If you don't, don't complain. It's nowhere near the night and day that BLM faces when they get Fire 3 (which means Astral/Umbral 3 and Ice 3 so they can cast forever with little interruption.)

I'd be all in favor of condensing some of ARR for new players, but I think Heavensward is streamlined enough as is that it's fine.

Heavensward has been really well executed in the story department all around.
Agree with this. 2.x stuff needs a trim, some stuff in ARR could be trimmed a bit, but I'm having a hard time thinking what could be trimmed from Heavensward. It's pretty focused and covers all the bases, with everything I can think of already being sidequests.

Tortolia posted:

The Secret World has cool writing but it suffers a bit from being a bit overwhelming. At least I felt kind of overwhelmed when I tried it out a bit ago (then again with FF I have a huge history to rely on, while my thriller/post apocalyptic sci-fi mysterious are lacking.)
SWToR also has decent stories. That's most of what it has though.

The only other MMO than those two that has the same depth/breadth of story is, surprisingly, WoW. And WoW has significant problems in that department (most stemming from it being about NPC's rather than the PC.)

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
This may be slightly off topic, but I've heard it said that FF14 doesn't hit quite the same highs as WoW. Now, I thought the 3.0 and 3.3 finales were insanely good, so I'm very curious to see what WoW did better. What do you all think?

E:

EponymousMrYar posted:

Agree with this. 2.x stuff needs a trim, some stuff in ARR could be trimmed a bit, but I'm having a hard time thinking what could be trimmed from Heavensward. It's pretty focused and covers all the bases, with everything I can think of already being sidequests.

They could do with increasing quest xp in HW enough to let you hit 60 just doing the story.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 24, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

dmboogie posted:

SWTOR has its ups and downs (with the Imperial Agent being very high and the Trooper past their first act being low) but at this point you're basically just playing a single-player Bioware RPG that happens to have other people running around. Like FFXIV it's a pretty character-focused story, with the additional benefit of your player characters actually having well defined personalities.

The Secret World's writing is incredible but the combat's mediocre at best and kinda kills my motivation. It's not a subscription, at the very least.

Unfortunately because SWTOR has lost almost all of its original writing staff, the cool and interesting stories from launch have all been turned into One Size Fits All awful garbage in KOTFE.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Unfortunately because SWTOR has lost almost all of its original writing staff, the cool and interesting stories from launch have all been turned into One Size Fits All awful garbage in KOTFE.

On the bright side, there's never been a better time to play through the base storyline!

I legitimately kind of regret spending so much time slogging through the base game at launch when now you can get through a planet in the matter of a couple of hours, by doing only your class quests and maybe the planetary line. You don't even need to subscribe!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Bobfly posted:

This may be slightly off topic, but I've heard it said that FF14 doesn't hit quite the same highs as WoW. Now, I thought the 3.0 and 3.3 finales were insanely good, so I'm very curious to see what WoW did better. What do you all think?

E:

They could do with increasing quest xp in HW enough to let you hit 60 just doing the story.

If you mean like, story content, wow doesn't really have that outside of like a cutscene at the end of a raid where an npc beats the boss and gives a speech

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I don't really know what I mean though! I guess some fights are more interesting mechanically than anything in FF14 then? It must do SOMETHING better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I would like to hear more about other MMOs writing because I really do apprechiate people saying how great 14 is and is worth the time and investment

Sure, here's everything I remember. I didn't play a few of these expansions but I read enough people complaining about them:

One of the coolest and most memorable events in vanilla WoW that culminated in you defeating the main villain of the vanilla story was retconned so that the human king (which hadn't returned by then and wasn't even an NPC until many years/expansions later) killed her.

Then came the first expansion, TBC. The most recent confession is that they killed the villain from TBC prematurely, so they're bringing him back for the next expansion. They also killed a bunch of other characters prematurely in TBC - one of which they revived within the expansion in a later content patch. There was a major retcon concerning the Draenei, one of the new races, that prompted the creative director to post a personal apology on the forums for having forgotten their backstory.

WOTLK had you chasing the villain while he mocks you like a james bonds villain since it's all part of his master plan, but fair. Immediately after you defeat an Old God - a really big bad boss who's pretty high up there in terms of importance in a really cool raid - who's partially responsible for the existence of the villain you're chasing and the villain from the next expansion, you go to a tournament that's established right next door to the armies of undead of the villain in the bleakest area of the world, where you have to "prove yourself in glorious battle" that by dueling a bunch of npcs and killing oversized trash mobs you can take on the Lich King, since apparently killing an Old God capable of corrupting dragon aspects wasn't proof enough.

In Cataclysm, Thrall (an Orc who's pretty much Warcraft's main character at this point) kills the big bad boss after you fight it. At this point people start calling him Orc Jesus and get mad since to everyone it seems like he's written to be a Mary Sue.

Everyone whined about Mists of Pandaria because it was an expansion themed after Pandas, which were originally written as a joke. People hated on the pandas really hard. That hatred went away by the end of the expansion due to orc fatigue, as a bunch of villains are orcs and the story is very heavily focused on orcs in general. You don't kill the final boss, who is one of the worst and most dangerous entities you meet since you started playing the game.

Then comes Warlords of Draenor. An expansion themed entirely after orcs. With time travel. To a place we've been before in the first expansion, but in the past. In an alternate reality so that it don't mess up with the storyline we know. Thrall kills the villain from the previous expansion who escaped, and one of the big villains from WoD also escapes for you to fight in the next expansion.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 24, 2016

• Locked thread