Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The events in Rio would be more amusing if it weren't for the inevitable generation of physically hosed-up kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOqXy64-hTw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The events in Rio would be more amusing if it weren't for the inevitable generation of physically hosed-up kids.

Hey, women's gymnastics is a proud Olympic tradition

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/746457833789599744

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

stringball posted:

...why itunes gift cards? Are the resale value of them really good versus real cash?

probably because they can get the card number over the phone and drain it of value immediately rather than waiting for something to come in the mail

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

im pooping! posted:

probably because they can get the card number over the phone and drain it of value immediately rather than waiting for something to come in the mail

I think the question was more like what can they actually buy from iTunes that's so valuable and expensive they gotta steal gift cards for it? I can't imagine they buy a lot of ebooks. Or do they just resell them or something?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Hey, women's gymnastics is a proud Olympic tradition

"What's wrong with 4'11" teenagers with permanent bone damage?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Is there an example of a successful Olympic host, ever? Somewhere the massive infrastructure improved quality of life for people in that area after the games? A city or country that saw positive returns on investment?

Serious answer: Barcelona. They went from "Is that in Italy?" to a major tourist destination pretty much entirely on the back of the Olympics. They're often pointed out as one of the few financially successful Olympics of the last few decades.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Sydney didn't make money but we got some world class stadiums and a modern residential suburb out of it. Also no one swam in raw sewage or got robbed at gun point because we actually had security and standards and our country wasn't an utter dirthole to begin with.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Phanatic posted:

The Rio Olympics are going to be loving amazing.

Even the bingo card can't quite keep up with the giant clusterfuck that it's been. Who would have even thought to add a square that they'd kill their own mascot after spooking it with the torch?

http://bringo.org

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

I can't parse this. Who's the immigrant, whose family is sponsoring who to move where, and which family voted to leave? Could someone explain like I'm a golden retriever?

in before "arf arf arf"

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Weatherman posted:

I can't parse this. Who's the immigrant, whose family is sponsoring who to move where, and which family voted to leave? Could someone explain like I'm a golden retriever?

in before "arf arf arf"

It's not just you. She married an immigrant who never actually came over, but she went to where he was, so he was never an immigrant, but she was an emigrant... or something? Also, she was from the UK (?), but now can't go back for some reason or other? I guess she just means he can't go back with her. It's unclear.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tony Robbins Hot-Coal Walk Injures Dozens In Dallas

quote:

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - As many as 40 people were injured after walking on hot coals as part of a self-help seminar hosted by motivational speaker Tony Robbins in Texas, fire officials said on Friday.

Attendees of the “Unleash the Power Within” event, held at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in downtown Dallas, reported burns to their feet and legs just after 11 p.m. on Thursday, Dallas Fire and Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said.

“A lot of the attendees were asked to walk across hot coals, and as a result, a lot of the people sustained burn injuries,” Evans said.

Of the 30 to 40 people injured, five were treated at the Parkland Hospital burn unit, Evans said. The others were treated and released at the scene. It was unclear how many participated in the coal walk.

The three-day seminar is intended to help people “break through any limit” and improve their quality of life, according a description posted on Robbins’ website.

Representatives for Robbins, who is a popular motivational speaker, personal finance adviser and bestselling author, were not immediately available for comment.

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

It's on the previous page.

A_Bluenoser
Jan 13, 2008
...oh where could that fish be?...
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

No. This is just a referendum, it has no legal impact, it's literally just a vote. There's a process to leave the EU under Article 50, but the referendum doesn't start that process, and doesn't even dictate a timeline for starting that process.

If Cameron now starts that process, then Britain sits down with the EU and negotiates a withdrawal agreement (which is entirely open-ended, it could preserve much of the benefit Britain has from being an EU member, it could result in Britain getting better trade deals given that something like 16% of European exports go to Britain, etc). That withdrawal agreement needs to be agreed to by a supermajority of the EU members. If they can't reach an agreement in two years, then it's like a pocket veto, Britain is just out of the EU, the treaties are no longer in force, so that's that. Or if after two years the EC votes unanimously to extend the deadline, then they can keep working on an agreement.

It's like the Scottish independence referendum a few years ago. They voted to remain part of the UK, but if they'd voted for independence, they wouldn't suddenly be an independent country, they'd have had to go through a whole other process to do that.

From a while back but while the process described is the legal process and the UK will remain a part of the EU for a minimum of two years, the answer to the original question "is Brexit 100% a thing now" then practically speaking yes, it is done. Formally the British government needs to initiate the process by invoking Article 50 and after this there will be a lot of negotiation about the exact form of the exit but it is pretty much a done deal that the UK will leave the EU in one way or another. There is just no way politically that anyone, British Parliament or EU, could go against it at this point. Hopefully not much will change practically but the rest of the EU has no particular incentive to be generous a this point.

As Churchill is once claimed to have said (and if he didn't probably wished he did) "the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter". So sad right now, Ich bin der Schade :(

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Centripetal Horse posted:

It's not just you. She married an immigrant who never actually came over, but she went to where he was, so he was never an immigrant, but she was an emigrant... or something? Also, she was from the UK (?), but now can't go back for some reason or other? I guess she just means he can't go back with her. It's unclear.

She married a guy who was not British. She worked very hard to get him a visa but wasn't able to. Then his parents offered her a visa to his country. She hoped she could use the EU's system to get a visa for to the UK. Them leaving the EU prevents that

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Specifically a spouse visa to the UK requires a minimum income or savings level but you could sidestep that by getting a visa to a different EU country then transferring to the UK after 6 months (the 'Surinder Singh' route).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Foxhound posted:

I think the question was more like what can they actually buy from iTunes that's so valuable and expensive they gotta steal gift cards for it? I can't imagine they buy a lot of ebooks. Or do they just resell them or something?

Pretty sure they get resold. iTunes gift cards are basically cash that can only be spent in one place, so you can sell them for all or nearly all of their value.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

chitoryu12 posted:

Pretty sure they get resold. iTunes gift cards are basically cash that can only be spent in one place, so you can sell them for all or nearly all of their value.

So... uhh... where would someone buy one of these gift cards? Theoretically speaking.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chitoryu12 posted:

It's actually kind of fun because here Costco will often sell their itunes cards for pretty good discounts. So you can get say, $100 worth of itunes for $80 and resell it for the full $100. Or if you're especially daring, go online and sell it to someone who isn't in America so they can buy things from the Ameriacan itunes with a slight markup so, say $120. Forty bucks isn't a whole lot, but it's nice. Works better for people who live in other regions like Australia and Japan since you have better access to exclusive poo poo in your shop.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dumb. posted:

So... uhh... where would someone buy one of these gift cards? Theoretically speaking.

You can buy them at pretty much any store around here. Walmart and Target, I think Walgreens, Best Buy, etc. They stock them near the checkout. Most of the time they're sold for at least the same value as the gift card's value, so you'll make little to no money or even lose money trying to resell them. The scam only works if you can get someone to give you a card.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

It's on the previous page.

Well poo poo, I went back the past 6 pages too.

dumb. posted:

What are you asking here?

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

FCKGW posted:

Well poo poo, I went back the past 6 pages too.

What are you asking here?

Hot black gift card market hookups, yo. Lemme get in on that poo poo. Several percent savings on app purchases.I can make it worth your while, if you know what I mean.

Shoggoth bgosh
Jun 8, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Gomi Day posted:

https://twitter.com/DRPS/status/746402034660872192

the schadenfreude are the multiple people who have apparently fallen for this. :wtc:

This isn't a Canadian thing, my coworker fell for this last week in Bumfuck, Utah.

The scammers claimed to be from the IRS and wanted her to buy I-Tunes cards and read the numbers to them over the phone. She actually bought the cards. Luckily, her husband talked her into calling the police.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Shoggoth bgosh posted:

This isn't a Canadian thing, my coworker fell for this last week in Bumfuck, Utah.

The scammers claimed to be from the IRS and wanted her to buy I-Tunes cards and read the numbers to them over the phone. She actually bought the cards. Luckily, her husband talked her into calling the police.

jesus christ..

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

It's actually kind of fun because here Costco will often sell their itunes cards for pretty good discounts. So you can get say, $100 worth of itunes for $80 and resell it for the full $100. Or if you're especially daring, go online and sell it to someone who isn't in America so they can buy things from the Ameriacan itunes with a slight markup so, say $120. Forty bucks isn't a whole lot, but it's nice. Works better for people who live in other regions like Australia and Japan since you have better access to exclusive poo poo in your shop.

Hell, don't a lot of scummy check cashing places buy gift cards too? Could probably get an even quicker turnaround if you did it that way. Of course, that's gonna look drat suspicious, so don't be surprised if the feds come knocking.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Hell, don't a lot of scummy check cashing places buy gift cards too? Could probably get an even quicker turnaround if you did it that way. Of course, that's gonna look drat suspicious, so don't be surprised if the feds come knocking.

"Hello, I'm calling from the United States government. We have reason to believe you're using iTunes gift cards to commit fraud. However, we're willing to drop the charges if you just read us the number on the card."

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Wanamingo posted:

Unsurprisingly this comes up in the bitcoin thread occasionally. Guy buys a bunch of these dodgy cards in bulk for 50% of their value and then goes on Ebay and sells them for 85% and is shocked! when the feds come calling saying he's on the hook for selling stolen goods.

Of course usually the whole thing just ends up being a scam and the bitcoiner never even gets the cards to resell but occasionally they do get the stolen cards and get busted for it when they try to turn it over.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Arctic Baldwin posted:

She married a guy who was not British. She worked very hard to get him a visa but wasn't able to. Then his parents offered her a visa to his country. She hoped she could use the EU's system to get a visa for to the UK. Them leaving the EU prevents that

One Swell Foop posted:

Specifically a spouse visa to the UK requires a minimum income or savings level but you could sidestep that by getting a visa to a different EU country then transferring to the UK after 6 months (the 'Surinder Singh' route).

Ah! The story makes a more sense with that piece of information.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

The schadenfreude is your expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhAdM_NGlQ

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

burexas.irom posted:

You sick monster!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

burexas.irom posted:

Thanks for the warning, I'm not gonna watch it then :smug:

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

burexas.irom posted:

:stare: All of the elements are there! That was so ripe* for disaster!

* 100% ripe

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

burexas.irom posted:

Completely blueballed. You gently caress.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

More Brexit. Farage promises Leave voters £350 million for NHS. Disowns his words before result's even officially announced.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-nigel-farage-nhs-pledge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html

And at the end of it all he's not even invited into the newly forming Brexit negotiations committee, throws a fit.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/25/furious-farage-excluded-from-committee-to-negotiate-brexit-5965707/
Small joys. As an EU citizen living in England this has not been a happy time :smithicide:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Perhaps a hamster posted:

More Brexit. Farage promises Leave voters £350 million for NHS. Disowns his words before result's even officially announced.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-result-nigel-farage-nhs-pledge-disowns-350-million-pounds-a7099906.html

And at the end of it all he's not even invited into the newly forming Brexit negotiations committee, throws a fit.
http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/25/furious-farage-excluded-from-committee-to-negotiate-brexit-5965707/
Small joys. As an EU citizen living in England this has not been a happy time :smithicide:

Farage is very entertaining from a distance. He's like an Austin Powers villain: cartoonishly evil, and hilariously incompetent.

What happens to people like you, now? Do you have to spend the next couple of years Stepin Fetchiting around to prove to your British overlords that you're worthy to remain in their new English paradise?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

He really is. Look at this loving face.

Re. our status now, there have been some 'reassurances' (loving lol) from the right that the status of people already living here shouldn't change, but at this point I'm not too inclined to trust anything that comes out of their mouths. Personally am seriously considering moving to one of the Irelands (briefly lived in Dublin before, really enjoyed it) or Scotland [(especially if they get another referendum going). I work remotely for a London office anyway so can live pretty much anywhere really, it's just the pound crash that's gonna be kick in the balls now. Tbh I'm not even worried about the legal status too much as I've been living here long enough to apply for citizenship if I wanted to, but don't think I want to now, as it feels like the anti-immigrant sentiment is loud and clear. At least there's still two years to think about it I guess!

Got a lot of English friends who are pissed off about the vote outcome too, keep teasing them that at least I, as EU citizen, can still move to a nice EU country if poo poo keeps hitting the fan, they're the ones stuck with their motherland :gbsmith:

ETA: Just remembered a mini-freude - one of my bf's idiot co-workers voted 'Leave' purely for 'make Britain independent/no refugees' sentiment without looking into it. The day after he was trying to book a nice holiday in Europe and was shocked, shocked! and very surprised to discover that the price that was £250 is now in the thousands. Happy Brexit!

Perhaps a hamster has a new favorite as of 11:50 on Jun 25, 2016

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And that's why Skynet nuked the tropics twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Perhaps a hamster posted:

He really is. Look at this loving face.

Re. our status now, there have been some 'reassurances' (loving lol) from the right that the status of people already living here shouldn't change, but at this point I'm not too inclined to trust anything that comes out of their mouths. Personally am seriously considering moving to one of the Irelands (briefly lived in Dublin before, really enjoyed it) or Scotland [(especially if they get another referendum going). I work remotely for a London office anyway so can live pretty much anywhere really, it's just the pound crash that's gonna be kick in the balls now. Tbh I'm not even worried about the legal status too much as I've been living here long enough to apply for citizenship if I wanted to, but don't think I want to now, as it feels like the anti-immigrant sentiment is loud and clear. At least there's still two years to think about it I guess!

Got a lot of English friends who are pissed off about the vote outcome too, keep teasing them that at least I, as EU citizen, can still move to a nice EU country if poo poo keeps hitting the fan, they're the ones stuck with their motherland :gbsmith:

ETA: Just remembered a mini-freude - one of my bf's idiot co-workers voted 'Leave' purely for 'make Britain independent/no refugees' sentiment without looking into it. The day after he was trying to book a nice holiday in Europe and was shocked, shocked! and very surprised to discover that the price that was £250 is now in the thousands. Happy Brexit!

To be honest, the pound didn't crash enough to justify that increased price. This isn't Germany post Versailles.