Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

ozymandius1024 posted:

I haven't seen it anywhere reputable yet, but there are rumblings that Canelo has agreed to fight Liam Smith on Sept. 17th.

:fuckoff:

That's the fight all Mexicans have been waiting for, Liam Smith a dude who is from uhhhh *flicks through phone* Great Britain and has a record of uhhh *gestures at assistant*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Liam Smith is a good fighter.

He's not a Middleweight

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Liam Smith is a good fighter.

He's not a Middleweight

Neither is Canelo Alvarez ( :haw: ), so it's totally cool!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh apparently it's at 154.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. The fact that it's a genuine Jr. Middleweight fight is better at least, then pretending it's middleweight event.

On the other hand, saying you're delaying the fight so that you can get used to 160 and then moving down in weight is... not good.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Win win imo. canelo gets an easy win and Liam Smith (and maybe the other Smith brothers too) get to defect to the us

Edit: But real talk this is pretty trash. Even leaving out the "in Mexico we don't gently caress around (with GGG)" poo poo. Are we really to believe that if Canelo really wanted a Lara rematch , Andrade or either of the Charlo twins that Haymon would not run to take 10% of that payday?

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 24, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Canelo is pretty quickly squandering his good will among the public. Liam Smith is a nobody, exactly the kind of fight that will have everyone groaning about Alvarez' level of competition. Oh well. Canelo's team obviously doesn't think he is ready for Golovkin yet, so they'll just have to take the hit on public relations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Ninth Layer posted:

Canelo is pretty quickly squandering his good will among the public. Liam Smith is a nobody, exactly the kind of fight that will have everyone groaning about Alvarez' level of competition. Oh well. Canelo's team obviously doesn't think he is ready for Golovkin yet, so they'll just have to take the hit on public relations.

he's not

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Golovkin/Eubank Jr. in September is the next best thing I guess. A Daniel Jacobs fight could be interesting for a few rounds if not for Al Haymon. Billy Joe Saunders is the most "eh" opponent I can think of. I look at BJS and all that I see is yogurt. There's just nothing interesting left for him at 160, from our perspective. It's cool how many different ways this sport finds to be frustrating.

Liam Smith as a headlining PPV opponent LMAO

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Turns out if you get vastly out of shape you're more likely to hurt yourself getting fit again

Fury really doesn't want it anyway

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I can live with the whole 154 is where Canelo wants to fight (despite blowing up on fight night to like Super Middle or Light Heavy I think), but it's pretty tough to tell me that Canelo/Smith is a PPV I should have any interest in at all.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think I got Liam Smith mixed up with Callum Smith

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
From a raw numbers perspective Canelo/Smith works since Canelo's guarantee (as far I recall) is around 8-9 million and they are paying Smith-relatively-peanuts. Combined with the site fees from MGM Grand and the live gate this makes a handsome profit at what seems to be Canelo's floor of 225-250,000 buys and this will test that no doubt. Just a little something for all my #boxingbusinessheads

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Eubank Jr status: still owns

Should be fighting above the level he is by now tho

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

probs the best groves performance since the first froch fight there

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

imagine going to a heayweight boxing match and being unable to maintain silence for 10 seconds in memory of muhammad ali. love english people me

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

thehappyprince posted:

probs the best groves performance since the first froch fight there

Nah he's finished, Murray turned up for a retirement payday and was still reasonably competitive

I was expecting worse from the 10 bell salute tbh with an arena full of tanked up cunts, it was 99% respectful

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

what was the ref doing there

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

joshua looking a bit average tonight tbh

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
He might be dragging it out to show he can box a bit

Anyway it shows even more how pathetic Charles Martin was

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Haye always hanging around like a Sky Box Office loving vulture

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
"Breazeale is the perfect opponent to practice stuff on!"

Cool world title fight.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

joshua looks really good when he's boxing on instinct and countering but when he has to think about things he looks poo poo, missing right hands by 2 feet.

reckon he'd beat wilder but would pick haye and fury to do him tbh

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 26, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't think it will ever feel normal to watch boxing on one of the big four networks.

I also don't think it'll ever really come back in a big way, but still, nice to see I guess.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

thurman handling porter here will make broner look even worse so looking forward to that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Goddamn that was a pretty uppercut from Hurd.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Awful stoppage.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

that was a ridiculous stoppage even though it was clear he wasnt going to win

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

wank stoppage but it doesn't matter really.

hurd's pretty decent with his paul williams' arms

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

why are they trying to rewrite history with the brook fight? it wasn't that close fam. take the L

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Watching at a buffalo wild wings. Go Porter!

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

way better than I expected so far

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know if Thurman is getting hurt at all, but when one guy is going forward so consistently it's really hard to not give him the round.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

yeah good action

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

1-1 after 2 although porter is still smothering the majority of his shots on the inside and thurman landed some nice floyd esque uppercuts to the body off the ropes

cant see it going 12 at this pace

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

thurman reminds me of haye with his stance and how he throws his shots. has that really relaxed style too.

also cornrows

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Thurman hurt him there

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
3-1 Thurman?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This fight loving rules

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

This is a loving good fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

2-2 even. Thurman seems to have adjusted to Porter's bursting combinations.

• Locked thread