Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Maybe one of these days when UNICEF gets into the photo critiquing business... until then have a Provia picture inspired by alkanphel's work.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Choicecut posted:

Why are you taking things so serious? Are you a female?

lol what the hell is this

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Karl Barks posted:

lol what the hell is this

choicecut being edgy, gotta show off now that some OG bad posters like Bottom Liner have shown up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Trying something different. Not sure if it works or is terrible. Or just mediocre. Opinions please.

Wellington by Euan Torstonson, on Flickr

I wanted to do another take with bulb mode to expose it properly and compare the two but it started raining and I didn't want to get my gear wet. Might go back tonight if it's not raining again.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Doesn't work, way too dark. Take a look at rangerscum's archive to see just how to do dark af urban landscapes properly.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

This is really really dark. I didn't notice anything until I zoomed in.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I thought as much but kind of hoped it might work to capture a mysterious vague shapes in the dark kind of vibe (which was what I got as I approached the scene, it freaked me out a bit as those trucks weren't there last time I was there). I guess not though! Thanks guys.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Wafflecopper posted:

I thought as much but kind of hoped it might work to capture a mysterious vague shapes in the dark kind of vibe (which was what I got as I approached the scene, it freaked me out a bit as those trucks weren't there last time I was there). I guess not though! Thanks guys.

It's not abstract enough to be mysterious. We can clearly see that it's a truck.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Something like that with a more organic form would be more evocative. Something like a model.

Dekk
Aug 31, 2001

Spedman posted:

Having yourself in the photos is fine for you as a way of marking a point in time for yourself in the future when you look back on your Iceland trip, but as far as a landscape photo goes its completely unnecessary as we know you were there. You're the photographer, your the one taking the shot and showing us something interesting/beautiful/telling a story/etc, we don't need you also in it.

Technically, I had problems trying to see whats in the shadows at all, and to be honest they're a bit difficult to look at in that regard. You have these sections of the photos that are exceptionally bright which draw your eye away from the interesting bits, the actual landscape. And I'm not sure about the composition on the wide angle shots, you seem to be compensating for the FOV by getting close the the ground to anchor the shot, and you need to ask yourself is that interesting? Is this improving the shot? What is the actual focal point of the photo? Whats the compelling component?

My advice is to just keep shooting and be critical of your own work.

This is helpful. Thanks!

Re: some of the other comments – putting a person (it's a buddy of mine – not me) in the photos was an attempt to make it something other than generic landscape vacation photography. I can understand why that would only mean something to me though, knowing the guy. I can understand why it's a crutch, instead of finding an actual focal point. So I'll take that constructively. :)

I definitely appreciate the exposure comments though. I think I rely on bumping up contrast too much at times to make things look overly graphic or something.

Dekk fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 24, 2016

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

HookShot posted:

I'd love to hear why being female makes you so irrational, but I guess I'm too busy bleeding from my vagina and crying to care or something.

Come on love you're getting hysterical :rolleyes:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Wafflecopper posted:

Trying something different. Not sure if it works or is terrible. Or just mediocre. Opinions please.

Wellington by Euan Torstonson, on Flickr

I wanted to do another take with bulb mode to expose it properly and compare the two but it started raining and I didn't want to get my gear wet. Might go back tonight if it's not raining again.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Bedroom by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
90980005-Edit.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

alkanphel posted:

That's why you should shoot Velvia 50, it's the real hipster film.

Until a guy started processing Kodachrome again it was, not anymore. You're SO out of the loop.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

maxmars posted:

Until a guy started processing Kodachrome again it was, not anymore. You're SO out of the loop.

Hahaha is he still even doing it anymore?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

alkanphel posted:

Hahaha is he still even doing it anymore?

On Etsy since last may.. Perhaps we're talking about two different people? https://www.etsy.com/it/listing/386864406/rotolo-di-kodachrome-64-beta-con-lo

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

maxmars posted:

On Etsy since last may.. Perhaps we're talking about two different people? https://www.etsy.com/it/listing/386864406/rotolo-di-kodachrome-64-beta-con-lo

"This process is in the VERY early stages, no guarantee is made as to color accuracy, stability, or production of images." sounds worth it for $60~

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Karl Barks posted:

"This process is in the VERY early stages, no guarantee is made as to color accuracy, stability, or production of images." sounds worth it for $60~

That is VERY hipster style isn't it

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Not gunna lie, I never had the ability to shoot Kodachrome, so I'd probably roll the dice for the cost of a few Chipotle lunches. Weird processing be damned.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I think I was following this guy's progress on APUG for a little while. I have essentially zero deep knowledge of the K-14 process, but my understanding is that the dyes for each color are not really built into the film emulsion itself, but rather a product of a separate developer and coupler used for each color sensitive layer. So unless he's using the original Kodak formula, which he isn't, you'll get an image but the colors and stability of the dyes won't be the same at all. Still, might be worth it if you had some old Kodachrome shot by family members and you're dying to see what's on it.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
You guys in this thread really know about film development. Did you learn from someone or just dive in one day? I was looking at color negative kits that would cost the same as sending 8 rolls off to get developed. I've been reading about the process a bit and it seems simple and complicated at the same time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well see, back in the dark ages, we didn't have digital cameras. I know it's hard to believe but for a while film was the state of the art.

So some of us actually learned a thing or two about it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
haha ur old

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haha ur girl

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I like this.

Choicecut posted:

You guys in this thread really know about film development. Did you learn from someone or just dive in one day? I was looking at color negative kits that would cost the same as sending 8 rolls off to get developed. I've been reading about the process a bit and it seems simple and complicated at the same time.

I just dove in. Doing your own black and white is really easy.

Color is more work and needs more precision on temperature etc., so as a spastic idiot you might consider B&W.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Start with black and white. Once you feel comfortable doing that, C41 isn't as daunting.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Right on. I was about to dive right in with color development, so glad I asked. Do you think those developer starter kits are a good way to go or do you guys recommend something different?

I was going to buy black and white film this last round but it seems pricey. Can you guys recommend some b&w film ? I ended up buying 2 four packs of fuji 200 and 2 rolls of ektar 100 color negative this round. I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I appreciate the help and direction.

Should I move this to the film thread or is it ok to discuss this in here?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Choicecut posted:

Right on. I was about to dive right in with color development, so glad I asked. Do you think those developer starter kits are a good way to go or do you guys recommend something different?

I was going to buy black and white film this last round but it seems pricey. Can you guys recommend some b&w film ? I ended up buying 2 four packs of fuji 200 and 2 rolls of ektar 100 color negative this round. I really have no idea what I'm doing, so I appreciate the help and direction.

Should I move this to the film thread or is it ok to discuss this in here?

You'll get better responses in the film thread. For B+W pick up Tri-X 400.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

VelociBacon posted:

You'll get better responses in the film thread. For B+W pick up Tri-X 400.

Thanks man! I'll move this over there.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

IMG_4081 by difficult listening, on Flickr

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Jesus Christ, this thread is cringy as gently caress. Can you people please stop acting like petulant children to each other?

To add something worthwhile to the discussion, this:

is most likely The Painted Hills area, in Eastern Oregon. It's a pretty amazing place. Great shot, too.

This is kinda what the area looks like:

It's a pretty gorgeous spot, and the highways around it are incredible.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Bathroom by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

ape posted:

Where are the pics of the crashed plane? It's been a few pages since anyone posted that.
The access road was closed in March

loaf
Jan 25, 2004

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
More corners.

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Tai Thong Crescent by alkanphel, on Flickr

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Oh, I'd love a tai thong.

How do you measure light on shots like these? Spot metering? Brain metering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Not sure if I like this one or not: