Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
I'd like some advice on radio gear. I used to build R/C gliders when I was a teenager and fancy doing it again - my knowledge of it is 20 years out of date! What I'd like is a set I can use for a good long time, I don't need more than 4 channels outwards, but I'm really interested in anything I can get inward data links from.

I do loads of signal processing / pattern recognition / machine learning stuff, so it'd be cool if I could get some telemetry back from the glider in real time and and use a laptop plugged into the set to do some auto-piloting experiments.

Budget is about $1000 odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This might be of interest, then?
http://www.itluxembourg.lu/site/soaring-with-apm-and-ultimate-lrs/

You don't need to use ultimate-lrs for this, though...all depends on your range requirements. A standard telemetry radio might do it.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You don't need to use ultimate-lrs for this, though...all depends on your range requirements. A standard telemetry radio might do it.

Thanks, that's really interesting.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MJP posted:

I scored a decent deal on a DJI Phantom FC40 with a Tarot stabilized gimbal and two batteries, and I just got a Gopro Hero 3 to fit the gimbal in the mail today. Any suggestions for drills on how to practice interesting aerial shots? I've tried to get a really nice circular hover, but haven't quite gotten the stick inputs down pat yet.

While I don't have experience with aerial photography, I think the best way to learn the sticks is to get a $50 syma and beat the poo poo out of it. Fly as aggressively as you can and get used to getting yourself out of trouble, then fly controlled in crazy small spaces. You'll get such a good feel for piloting that performing a slow speed swoop over a building will feel easy, and you won't be nervous with $1000 at risk.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judge Schnoopy posted:

While I don't have experience with aerial photography, I think the best way to learn the sticks is to get a $50 syma and beat the poo poo out of it. Fly as aggressively as you can and get used to getting yourself out of trouble, then fly controlled in crazy small spaces. You'll get such a good feel for piloting that performing a slow speed swoop over a building will feel easy, and you won't be nervous with $1000 at risk.

pfffffttttttt power loops on the maiden flight

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

pfffffttttttt power loops on the maiden flight

only if your phantom fc40 is like mr steeles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uWlg5-6gWQ

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tbs's radio system also will do mavlink telemetry over the receiver

MJP posted:

I scored a decent deal on a DJI Phantom FC40 with a Tarot stabilized gimbal and two batteries, and I just got a Gopro Hero 3 to fit the gimbal in the mail today. Any suggestions for drills on how to practice interesting aerial shots? I've tried to get a really nice circular hover, but haven't quite gotten the stick inputs down pat yet.

I would dig into the config software and try to turn sensitivity down as much as possible. I ended up using a taranis on my phantom 2 to do this, and just mess with the gains on my inspire. Also consider practicing los shot where it passes close over a tree line or other object, both straight on and strafing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua6ojwxPNf4

also watch a lot of casey neistat because even though hes a big dummy who flagrantly ignores airspace rules for nyc, his shots are nice.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 21, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also the new rules for commercial use of drones in the US got leaked.

A lot of it is real good.

Edit: official announcement moved to 10 am est

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=20515

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 21, 2016

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Also the new rules for commercial use of drones in the US got leaked.

A lot of it is real good.

Edit: official announcement moved to 10 am est

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=20515

this seems good and sane. i am surprised.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Got the last of my Tiny Whoop stuff today and am happy to report that it's every bit as hilarious as I had expected. It's going to take some getting used to, both flying in FPV and combining the yaw/roll for tight turns, but I'm already flying between chair legs and up stairs.

Even got a friend to 3D print a mount for the camera, so I don't have to rubberband it in place.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Do people ever run some form of vertical stabilizer on a quad? The idea would be to help keep the craft yaw in line with direction of movement. I'm thinking it would work as a sort of "training wheel" inexperienced flyers.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The less training wheels, the better. Learning throttle control isn't optional.

Took me longer than necessary to shake the dumb habits I picked up in autolevel mode when I started flying rate.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The best training wheels are a sim. Can't hurt your quad in there and you can be far more reckless while you figure stuff out

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

peepsalot posted:

Do people ever run some form of vertical stabilizer on a quad? The idea would be to help keep the craft yaw in line with direction of movement. I'm thinking it would work as a sort of "training wheel" inexperienced flyers.

Ardupilot has this mode but it is based on GPS. I've never heard of it used.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Combat Pretzel posted:

The less training wheels, the better. Learning throttle control isn't optional.

Took me longer than necessary to shake the dumb habits I picked up in autolevel mode when I started flying rate.

It doesn't stabilize you vertically, it stabilizes your rotation about the vertical axis, its for yaw, not throttle. So it should help coordinate your turns.

Anyways yeah I'm practicing in a sim already and probably wouldn't really try it, just curious if it had been done.

e: Speaking of sims, I made a little plug in power adapter for the Turnigy 9X the other day, so I can have extended sim sessions and not wait for 8 freakin AAs to recharge.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 23, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh, that.

dRonin has camera reprojection, where you tell it the camera angle and then lets you kind of fly like a plane. Kind of gets close by doing it in software. Kind of like this, ignoring the lovely music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCQ0vWlCDcg

Not sure what the other firmwares have. I think I've spotted experimental code for something similar in the source code of Raceflight. That's about it.

A physical stabilizer might mess with the PID controllers, because the quad's doing something significantly different than expected from control input. So YMMV.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
If anyone was concerned about FAA regs, they have finally updated the rules with new guidance for commercial drone operations: https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=20515 (press release)

Prior to this, if you wanted to fly as a hobby, no worries you pay your $5 FAA registration and that's it, just follow the rules.
If you wanted to fly for any commercial reason, you had to do two things first, one be a FAA certified pilot (for real airplanes!), and two get a CFR14 Section 333 exemption which had a backlog advertised at 6 months, and also involved writing a 30-40 page legal document explaining which regulations you wanted to be exempted from. Things like aircraft maintenance certifications and the like (basically a bunch of stuff designed with actual airplanes in mind). This was insane and I read several stories of youtube channel operators getting witchhunted by the FAA for showing drone footage, people shooting advertisement content getting fined, etc. They really seemed to mean that any commercial purpose means they can fine you...sometimes to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Now, according to this page: http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/becoming_a_pilot/#docs it looks like you can get by with some sort of lower-level "aeronautical knowledge test", TSA background check (why TSA??), and following the rules. This is way easier, and allows a lot of us who were holding back on flying for work-related purposes to do so in a way that makes sense.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Spudalicious posted:

This was insane and I read several stories of youtube channel operators getting witchhunted by the FAA for showing drone footage, people shooting advertisement content getting fined, etc. They really seemed to mean that any commercial purpose means they can fine you...sometimes to the tune of thousands of dollars.

This probably wont change. It is a lot easier to comply with the regulations, but I'm sure they will still come down just as hard on people not complying.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

What do hobbyist have to do now? Still the same?

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Google Butt posted:

What do hobbyist have to do now? Still the same?

I don't think there's any change for hobbyist stuff, they just want to make sure that if you're flying for money, you are appropriately trained to understand the rules and procedures associated with emergency things I think. I'm having trouble getting more information on the "aeronautical knowledge test"...it sure sounds like a lot of material by the bullet points they list:

FAA posted:

6.6.1 Initial Test. As described in paragraph 6.4, a person applying for remote pilot certificate
with an sUAS rating must pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test given by an
FAA-approved KTC. The initial knowledge test will cover the aeronautical knowledge
areas listed below:
1. Applicable regulations relating to sUAS rating privileges, limitations, and
flight operation;
2. Airspace classification and operating requirements, and flight restrictions
affecting small UA operation;
3. Aviation weather sources and effects of weather on small UA performance;
4. Small UA loading and performance;
5. Emergency procedures;
6. Crew Resource Management (CRM);
7. Radio communication procedures;
8. Determining the performance of small UA;
9. Physiological effects of drugs and alcohol;
10. Aeronautical decision-making (ADM) and judgment;
11. Airport operations; and
12. Maintenance and preflight inspection procedures.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Nothing changes for hobby/recreational flying, it preserves the Section 336 Special rule for model aircraft.

I haven't seen the new test for commercial use, but it doesn't seem much harder than getting the HAM license to transmit fpv video anyway.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can run through the online test for part 107 if you want to see the supplemental stuff they'll have on a ground test for those getting their cert (if you already have a part 61, the online test is actually all you need!)

It's all pretty basic. I'll probably work through the course stuff for regular ground school and should know all I need to know for the remote pilot cert.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you're looking for a cheapo set of parts to start a 5"
Miniquad build, this Dubai racer kit isn't terrible.

http://m.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_362847.html

You'll need fpv and a receiver

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just got my custom cut frame from Armattan. 2mm plate, 106mm motor to motor using those Rotorx quadblades. Knockoff RCX 1105b 5000kv motors, but I want legit RX 6500kv ones. Can't wait to start working on it tonight.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
First time in this thread, but it's about the best place I can turn to on this question as my usual contacts for manufacturing don't really work on this scale.

I'm working a UAV research project testing different blade designs, and I need someone/some business that can manufacture unusually shaped (for RC and drones anyway) rotor blades for me, preferably out of fiberglass but I've got enough budget for carbon fiber and may do that if there's a usable weight savings from it. I'm dealing with blades ranging from 24-30 inches long, with chords ranging from 0.75 to 6.5 inches, and up to 18 degrees of twist across the length. All using true airfoils, not the flat cambered stuff you see in a lot of RC helicopters.

My usual contacts are aerospace suppliers, so of course they want to charge the aerospace premium (even though it's a non-corporate research project and has exactly zero certifications involved). And most companies that tout making custom rotor blades for RC helicopters are just doing square blades with a flat cambered airfoil and no twist. If I can't find a decent place that can handle this kind of job I'm down to begging people at the local makerspaces or dropping the capital to make my own tooling and learning fiberglass layups myself.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Why not contact one of the RC prop manufacturers?

These guys make props in that size range.

http://www.mejzlik.eu/

nerox
May 20, 2001
In stock tiny whoop motors, if anyone is interested. http://www.heli-nation.com/micro-motor-warehouse-nanoqx-motor-set-6x15mm-coreless-fast-cl-0615-14

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

helno posted:

Why not contact one of the RC prop manufacturers?

These guys make props in that size range.

http://www.mejzlik.eu/

Getfpv just got their own design made, wonder where they got theirs made

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's a good PDB for a ZMR250 clone body?

Would I regret something like this: https://www.fpvheadquarters.com/simplepdb-zmr250-pdb.html ? Not sure if that's supposed to be an additional layer for my ZMR or if that's supposed to replace the actual bottom plate.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 26, 2016

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Martytoof posted:

What's a good PDB for a ZMR250 clone body?

Would I regret something like this: https://www.fpvheadquarters.com/simplepdb-zmr250-pdb.html ? Not sure if that's supposed to be an additional layer for my ZMR or if that's supposed to replace the actual bottom plate.

That's supposed to replace the upper, lower plate. I'd actually recommend a smaller pdb so it's less prone to breakage. Or just get a dogefc which had it built in.

Edit: I'm just getting to the point with my zmr where I'm starting to bolt all that together. There is a good deal of that pdb that is unsupported just by design. I'm trying to figure out a way to reinforce the pdb to the carbon plate so I don't break a big chunk off.

Unsane fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 26, 2016

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Does anyone run an inductrix with a taranis? Trying to figure out which module to get. Kinda hoping to find an all in one that I can fly a cx-10 with as well.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Holy poo poo that is awesome. I didn't even know they made pitot sensors for drones.

Simple Planes just got me thinking about 3d printing. Some people in this thread have made quadcopter bits and I'd like to know if anyone's made any fixed wing airfoils.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Unsane posted:

Does anyone run an inductrix with a taranis? Trying to figure out which module to get. Kinda hoping to find an all in one that I can fly a cx-10 with as well.

The newest newest revision of the orangerx one from hobbyking, or the DIY one

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DreadLlama posted:

Holy poo poo that is awesome. I didn't even know they made pitot sensors for drones.

Simple Planes just got me thinking about 3d printing. Some people in this thread have made quadcopter bits and I'd like to know if anyone's made any fixed wing airfoils.

1st, how long have you posted about wanting to map your forest and repeatedly not listening to us? How is it the first time you found out about airspeed sensors for drones?

2nd, yes, check out David windestaal vids on cutting them from insulation foam

http://youtu.be/R0ZCnR_g6ZU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain to me motors for 3" propped mini quads - i see both 13xx, 14xx, and now 17xx being advertised for that size, usually in kv from 3200 to 4000 (and sometimes even higher). And I haven't seen a full rundown on actual performance on most of these beyond the charts the manufacturer provides.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hotrotted my old Morphite V1 this week:

First a minor motor upgrade:

Then a new low profile look:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hotrotted my old Morphite V1 this week:

First a minor motor upgrade:

Are you running 3S or 4S on this bad boy?

Unsane posted:

That's supposed to replace the upper, lower plate. I'd actually recommend a smaller pdb so it's less prone to breakage. Or just get a dogefc which had it built in.

Thanks for the advice. I actually have a few spare small PDBs lying around but inexplicably they don't have the right mounting holes and I don't really feel like drilling. I just ordered that $14 one and if it breaks I'll rebuild it with something more durable. I'm going for a "showpiece" ZMR with this build so I'm going to deck it out with LEDs and cable braid and I like the distance between the ESC PDB pads and the wings in this particular PDB -- less cable to snake around.

These weirdo PDBs are why you don't order random parts off eBay. A year later when you have 4 of those $1 PDBs that don't fit anything you're not all "what the gently caress did I buy this for?" .. I actually think I may have bought it because they included a LED strip and it was cheaper than actual LED strips somewhere else :confused:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 26, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Are you running 3S or 4S on this bad boy?

4S

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bought a replacement headplay lens from these guys but never got around to installing it, but this is cool - prescription lens for your fatsharks

http://rho-lens.com/fatshark-prescription-lenses.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Can someone explain to me motors for 3" propped mini quads - i see both 13xx, 14xx, and now 17xx being advertised for that size, usually in kv from 3200 to 4000 (and sometimes even higher). And I haven't seen a full rundown on actual performance on most of these beyond the charts the manufacturer provides.

1306 4000kv on 4s using RotorX triblades. The RotorX props are key. There is nothing else like them.

I have a set of 1407 3200kv and the extra amp draw isn't really worth it compared to 1306 3100kv, they both performed the same on 4s to me. I went back to the 1306 4000kv, and there are now red bottom "race spec" 1306 4000kv.

RotorX 1105b 6500kv on some 3s LiHV batteries with those weird quad blades they sell is basically a comparable power combo too, but you'll be building wayyyy smaller. 1105 motors are like 5.5g compared to a 15g 1306. Sorry for te RotorX shilling I still get knockoff motors from MyRCMart but go name brand for my props.