Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lol I leave for 2 hours and 900 posts, just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Buca di Bepis posted:

it's too bad the Remainer response is a Sanders-supporter-esque "gently caress the poor" and not "maybe we should've spent more effort convincing people who weren't ourselves"

I think that's the crux of why the whole thing went Pete Tong. Cameron had no coherent argument beyond "it'll be a disaster, really really bad", Corbyn had a much better case but it didn't work well in sound bites, and the Leavers were given free reign to invoke the queues of ISIS and "are taxes being squandered in Romania" to angry and disaffected victims of the tory's cuts.

Not sure that Sander's supporters were ever campaigning on a gently caress-the-poor platform though.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Klyith posted:

The EU has hosed up a lot of stuff over the last 8 years, particularly w/r/t economics and the euro currency, and generally refuse to even admit the possibility that they could be wrong? And that there's an obvious problem with a non-democratic decision making class who hold a fair amount of power but little accountability.

Not that the UK has been on the sharp end of those decisions. The conservatives who rant about EU bureaucracy are all angry with health & safety regulations or the idea that cars should have a minimum gas mileage. But it probably helps sway some of the people in the middle who watched the Greece economic torture last year and though "gently caress this whole EU system".

Brussels has gotten a whole bunch of wake-up calls over the last several years that they needed to shape up and find ways to make both the haves and the have-nots happy, rather than be totally servile to the money. They've ignored all of them, maybe this time they won't just hit the snooze again.

Or maybe the EU needs to be completely taken apart or re-formulated into something that won't completely destroy it's own member nations in the service of big banks.

eurozone != EU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Otisburg posted:

why does the name given to arguably the decade's most important development in european politics sound like it belongs to a brand of digestive biscuits?

Because of Americanised thoughtstop soundbite bollocks.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

wit posted:

Because of Americanised thoughtstop soundbite bollocks.

america didn't just vote to gently caress itself in the rear end so i think england can officially drop the "americans are dumb" thing for a while

at least until november

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
They should have a second referendum and just add "gently caress David Cameron" as a third option so all the people who disagree with him on principle can have their say.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

america didn't just vote to gently caress itself in the rear end so i think england can officially drop the "americans are dumb" thing for a while

at least until november

The "Americans are dumb" thing is the only thing that stops us loving off to your country making you drink tea and stealing all your poo poo whiskey.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 25, 2016

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

This country is orbiting the toilet and I wonder how long it will take for people to realise we;re going to fall in now.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

reminder that those with the money will always win, you can, at best, chose which ultra rich testicle twitch profits off of your suffering, but you can never end the suffering

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Otisburg posted:

why does the name given to arguably the decade's most important development in european politics sound like it belongs to a brand of digestive biscuits?
could have gone bregress or the british byelse or albionthelamb, anglout blaxman

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Drone_Fragger posted:

This world is orbiting the toilet and I wonder how long it will take for people to realise we;re going to fall in now.

Updated for clarity.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they should have called it the Patriot Act

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hey i have a great idea why don't we have a largely under or un-educated populace vote yes or no on a complicated matter and hey for good measure lets determine the results of that vote via a simple majority

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NecroMonster posted:

hey i have a great idea why don't we have a largely under or un-educated populace vote yes or no on a complicated matter and hey for good measure lets determine the results of that vote via a simple majority

I agree, lets stop anyone who hasn't paid into the system for at least 30 years or who doesnt have a science degree from voting.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lichy posted:

eurozone != EU

during the debt crisis the two had a much less clear boundary. the UK was definitely in on a bunch of those debates -- if not as a national member, than at least represented by their banks.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

actually, maybe educating people properly in the first place is a better answer

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The fun part will be when the queen dies and the australian republican movement who have been waiting for that buck-toothed dullard charles to become king, hold a referendum and australia leaves becomes a republic in a landslide, igniting debate in canada and new zealand who soon follow suit, and basically all that is left of the mighty empire is dominica

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Jessant posted:

The BBC have gone full Brasseye.

Nick Robinson travelling from Edinburgh to London on results day before hosting the show, over the shoulder shots of Nick Robinson watching the BBC on his tablet, a live cartoonist who we keep cutting too for updates.

just for the gently caress of it

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36617918

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Great ploy by the middle east to send all those "refugees" to the UK and have them vote to help break up the EU. Soon, other countries will follow the turmoil will begin and Islam will rule the region.

Allahu Akbar!

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Vladimir Poutine posted:

The fun part will be when the queen dies and the australian republican movement who have been waiting for that buck-toothed dullard charles to become king, hold a referendum and australia leaves becomes a republic in a landslide, igniting debate in canada and new zealand who soon follow suit, and basically all that is left of the mighty empire is dominica

You can all leave as long as Scotland stays. And you have to take Wales.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the only thing taking Wales is the sheep

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
lol a D&D poster who attempted to murder another person over Gamergate is making violent threats now in the UK thread

rhetoric getting a lil heated

He deserves it to be honest

Not a single politician who presided over this mess should be permitted to live it down as long as they hold office, unless they actually go through and unfuck it and save the UK from suicide

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

Yup. Direct democracy sucks. Philosopher kings for life.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
How the gently caress do you eat blood sausage?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Orkin Mang posted:

could have gone bregress or the british byelse or albionthelamb, anglout blaxman

lax britainnica

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NecroMonster posted:

actually, maybe educating people properly in the first place is a better answer

We need to educate people to think how we want. I agree. Not sure if most liberal arts students can think, but we can try!

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Just kill everyone with guns. Who cares!!

edit: actually do NOT do this

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 25, 2016

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Other than producing excellent actors and TV shows. What value does modern England have anyway?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brannock posted:

lol a D&D poster who attempted to murder another person over Gamergate is making violent threats now in the UK thread

rhetoric getting a lil heated

I'm not going to let you trick me into going to DnD

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what is this?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

crabcakes66 posted:

Other than producing excellent actors and TV shows. What value does modern England have anyway?

Muslims and tea.

Brannock posted:

Link me? I am not searching through that poo poo.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

a cop posted:

Just kill everyone with guns. Who cares!!

edit: actually do NOT do this

Now we're out of the EU does that mean I can start hoarding guns?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

lol a D&D poster who attempted to murder another person over Gamergate

Link?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

A Magical Lamp posted:

It does.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

spud posted:

We need to educate people to think how we want. I agree. Not sure if most liberal arts students can think, but we can try!

Improving education doesn't necessarily mean educating people to think in a certain way.

Brannock posted:

Seriously?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The most interesting aspect of all of this is the fact that any laws currently on the books in britain will have to be rewritten, and that there is technically no rule of law until that point.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

A Magical Lamp posted:

The only difference is we won't need a licence anymore.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

a cop posted:

It does.

Well gently caress, a cop told me it's ok. Gonna shoot me so many foxes. And can someone take this opportunity to explain what the gently caress Gamergate even is? All I know about it is everyone I've seen talk about it is a loving idiot.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

it's too bad the Remainer response is a Sanders-supporter-esque "gently caress the poor" and not "maybe we should've spent more effort convincing people who weren't ourselves"

Clinton is going to do soooooo much for the poor :rolleyes: your neoliberal apologism needs work scrummer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
No one's going to do anything for the poor other than gently caress them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36621777

That didn't take long.

A Magical Lamp fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 25, 2016

• Locked thread