Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Knightmare posted:

Yep, and I weirdly liked it.

I've been meaning to watch it because I devoured those books as a kid. Like reading a new one every 2-3 days. Some of the plot lines like Cuckoo Clock of Doom or Camp Jellyjam were pretty hosed up, but obviously nothing close to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I've been meaning to watch it because I devoured those books as a kid. Like reading a new one every 2-3 days. Some of the plot lines like Cuckoo Clock of Doom or Camp Jellyjam were pretty hosed up, but obviously nothing close to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.

SStTitD hosed with me so bad as a kid. Yikes!

Unrelated: Bloodline is really good. On episode 6 at the moment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Any new watchable indie horror pop up on any of the main streaming services lately?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

NESguerilla posted:

Any new watchable indie horror pop up on any of the main streaming services lately?

I liked We are Still Here on Netflix.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Tardcore posted:

I liked We are Still Here on Netflix.

Just noticed they put up Spotlight and Sin City 2 on netflix. So happy I didn't pull the trigger on renting the former on Prime a while back.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How is The Path? I like Hugh Dancy and cult poo poo, so I may give it a whirl if the word is good.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I liked the cast, but I thought it was pretty weak. And it's probably the least dark cult in all fiction, so I wouldn't watch it for that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 22, 2016

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Just watched Sin City 2 and it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone said. If you liked the first you should see it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Just watched Sin City 2 and it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone said. If you liked the first you should see it.

It's actually better than the first in a lot of ways.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

K. Waste posted:

It's actually better than the first in a lot of ways.

100% more Eva Green. And even Jessica Alba looked like she was trying.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

100% more Eva Green. And even Jessica Alba looked like she was trying.

If they would just cut all the bullshit and pick one story to make into a feature, it would kill, especially the JGL saga.

But t'was not to be.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I just watched I Am Thor and it was everything Spinal Tap wanted to be, and so much more. It was a great documentary about a b-movie-level rocker trying to stick to his guns an do it his way. He's the butt of some jokes, but he clearly does not care, he loves doing what he's doing.

If you liked Spinal Tap for the jokes as well as the sheer determination of the pretend rockers, then you'll probably like I Am Thor.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched I Am Thor and it was everything Spinal Tap wanted to be, and so much more. It was a great documentary about a b-movie-level rocker trying to stick to his guns an do it his way. He's the butt of some jokes, but he clearly does not care, he loves doing what he's doing.

If you liked Spinal Tap for the jokes as well as the sheer determination of the pretend rockers, then you'll probably like I Am Thor.

When I read this post my first thought was 'this can't be a documentary on Jon Mikl Thor, can it?.' Then I pulled up the Netflix entry and was like 'holy poo poo, that actually made a documentary on Jon Mikl Thor!'

Please tell me it goes into his Rock and Roll Nightmare films, because the first one was my initial exposure to him, and that was a film too glorious for this world.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Paper Kaiju posted:

When I read this post my first thought was 'this can't be a documentary on Jon Mikl Thor, can it?.' Then I pulled up the Netflix entry and was like 'holy poo poo, that actually made a documentary on Jon Mikl Thor!'

Please tell me it goes into his Rock and Roll Nightmare films, because the first one was my initial exposure to him, and that was a film too glorious for this world.
All I can tell you is that they cover his B movies, and, the more I thought about it, the more I thought, "no, not Spinal Tap. More like Gwar." It's just holy poo poo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everyone should watch Rock and Roll Nightmare and Zombie Nightmare. The other Rock and Roll Nightmare is, uh, really something. I'm not sure that it's a movie, but it's something.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Jack Gladney posted:

Everyone should watch Rock and Roll Nightmare and Zombie Nightmare. The other Rock and Roll Nightmare is, uh, really something. I'm not sure that it's a movie, but it's something.

We really need those little flags showing the country we're from like some forums have so that we can identify movies that aren't on our country's Netflix especially since their cracking down on VPNs, etc.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Holy God US Netflix has an absolute garbage library compared to international (Canada I believe). I flipped on a DNS service for another program and opened Netflix today and found like 50 marquee movies I actually want to watch.

Of course Netflix detects proxies now so none of it is actually playable but what a loving tease! Are studios just asking too much for US-market streaming rights for all these titles? I honestly feel a little cheated haha

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I assume there's just a lot more competition for licenses in the US.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

We really need those little flags showing the country we're from like some forums have so that we can identify movies that aren't on our country's Netflix especially since their cracking down on VPNs, etc.

My comment was in reference to the Jon Mikl Thor documentary mentioned above. Sadly none of them are on streaming, although Shout Factory did a great restoration of Zombie Nightmare that they might put up on their streaming service eventually.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

Jack Gladney posted:

My comment was in reference to the Jon Mikl Thor documentary mentioned above. Sadly none of them are on streaming, although Shout Factory did a great restoration of Zombie Nightmare that they might put up on their streaming service eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2hKNGyQDbo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It is pretty much exactly like the books with the given premise, complete with a last second twist that puts a question mark on "The End?" .

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's interesting, the movies you find on youtube that Netflix somehow said, "our audience has no interest in poo poo like this OOH HEY LET'S BRING BACK THE TALKING CAT SEQUELS, but only 3 and 6, you know... the ones with Stephen Baldwin's nephew."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chichevache posted:

Midway into it now and Piper is back to being the focus, but in a tongue-in-cheek way. She's constantly called out for thinking she is the center of attention. The other inmates are basically audience stand-ins, criticizing her role. They are also taking her character in a direction that plays on how hateable she is. I really like it.
The fourth season is pretty on the nose about its influences however, it's also not the same show that it was. It gets intense quickly, and does an excellent job of covering all of the characters rather than Piper - Piper is really just a side character for most of most of the episodes in the fourth season.

But be ready for a hell of a ride and ending. The flashback sequence in the final episode was amazing, and strongly reminded me of the movie After Hours.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 24, 2016

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
So of this year's two direct-to-streaming, handicapable buddy road movies - Who's Driving Doug and The Fundamentals of Caring - the latter is better shot, but the former is more narratively interesting.

They're both tripe.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
I watched Bo Burnham's new special "Make Happy" on Netflix the other day, and I just haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I remember watching the guy back in like 2008 when he was still some kid in his bedroom recording funny pop/rap songs with a surprising amount of talent, and watching him go on to have his first two specials and the criminally underrated MTV series "Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous" (seriously if you like Bo Burnham you should check that out) and just feeling really happy for the guy.

So when I watched "Make Happy" I was just expecting more of the same, Bo's satirical take on current music, jabs at the society and some introspective stuff about what it means to be a performer. And I got that. But what I didn't expect was how loving sad it would make me. I mean don't get me wrong, the special was hilarious and easily the best performance he's ever done but it was just felt so personal and heartfelt and it's been digging at me ever since.

I almost want to post a link to a song in particular that really stuck with me but I feel like it'd be ruined without watching the whole special beforehand, instead here's one of the funny ones. So yeah, if you like stand up comedy mixed with music performed by a self-conscious, depressed young man, go and watch "Make Happy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4ZWiEuFB4

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My favorite part of Make Happy is the "Peanut butter and..." "macaroni and..." Joke. So simple yet I was crying laughing.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mash posted:

So yeah, if you like stand up comedy mixed with music performed by a self-conscious, depressed young man, go and watch "Make Happy".

👌👌😂😂😂👌👌

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Like Mike Evanderin,
gently caress your ears I'm panderin'
I write songs about people who do
work in the towns I'd never move to
I gotta tight grip on my demographic's balls
I say "truck" and they jizz in their overalls

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Mash posted:

I watched Bo Burnham's new special "Make Happy" on Netflix the other day, and I just haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I remember watching the guy back in like 2008 when he was still some kid in his bedroom recording funny pop/rap songs with a surprising amount of talent, and watching him go on to have his first two specials and the criminally underrated MTV series "Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous" (seriously if you like Bo Burnham you should check that out) and just feeling really happy for the guy.

So when I watched "Make Happy" I was just expecting more of the same, Bo's satirical take on current music, jabs at the society and some introspective stuff about what it means to be a performer. And I got that. But what I didn't expect was how loving sad it would make me. I mean don't get me wrong, the special was hilarious and easily the best performance he's ever done but it was just felt so personal and heartfelt and it's been digging at me ever since.

I almost want to post a link to a song in particular that really stuck with me but I feel like it'd be ruined without watching the whole special beforehand, instead here's one of the funny ones. So yeah, if you like stand up comedy mixed with music performed by a self-conscious, depressed young man, go and watch "Make Happy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4ZWiEuFB4

I agree. I hadn't heard of him before but I was impressed. It wasn't super haha funny, but was entertaining throughout. I thought I'd watch 5 minutes and turn it off, but I made it through the whole thing and then started googling the guy.

Bo's point seems to be that something ridiculous performed sincerely is as valued by society as something truly meaningful, which I think is a great point.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hate when comedians get all sappy at the end of their specials. I watch stand-up comedy to escape life for a little while and laugh, I didn't want to be dragged down at the end of Make Happy no matter how much I respect the point he was trying to make.

Edit: I also find his "I hate you, the audience" schtick really tiring and I was sad to see him double down on it in this special. If he wasn't so loving hilarious I wouldn't recommend him to people.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 25, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

Like Mike Evanderin,
gently caress your ears I'm panderin'
I write songs about people who do
work in the towns I'd never move to
I gotta tight grip on my demographic's balls
I say "truck" and they jizz in their overalls

...Jonah Ryan?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I hate when comedians get all sappy at the end of their specials. I watch stand-up comedy to escape life for a little while and laugh, I didn't want to be dragged down at the end of Make Happy no matter how much I respect the point he was trying to make.

Edit: I also find his "I hate you, the audience" schtick really tiring and I was sad to see him double down on it in this special. If he wasn't so loving hilarious I wouldn't recommend him to people.

"I'll bet you're probably thinking, how the HELL is he going to dig himself out of this hole?"

His set really stuck in my head. I think it's a clever way to distinguish himself as a comedian with a point of view.

His entire existence as a teen youtube star has been performing for people of the internet generation that he doesn't know, so it seems natural to me that his stand-up set revolves around the anxiety and tight-rope act of performance. I kept waiting for it to read false but I think he genuinely feels this way.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BJPaskoff posted:

His special was pretty good. A few too many soundstage gags, but he's also 25 and it shows. He's trying really hard to emulate Bill Hicks in his own way, and just doesn't have the chops or the anger, yet.

At first I got him mixed up with the brown haired guy who does songs with a guitar in his sets. I think he had a show on Comedy Central for a hot second?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Stephen Lynch?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
dmitri martin?

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Nick Thune?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Bob Ross is on Netflix. Dude is chill as gently caress.

Also I watched Sin City 2 last night. It was a good sequel. I suspect that poor reception was from the fact that it's look isn't special any more. Anybody with a phone app that has filters can do black, white and another color.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I think it was reviewed negatively because it's a steaming dog turd with boring stories and Marv being in it for absolutely no reason beyond "poo poo we need to tie these together and put another name on our posters."

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Got a request: anybody know where I can find a streaming copy of well, either of the movies named Attica, or The Killing Yard? They're all kinda old and even on amazon I can only find them on VHS so far.. Might have to check the library.

edit: found Attica (1974) the documentary at my library and youtube, streaming it right now, holy poo poo that was a hosed up episode in history. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLVOuvp_Kq4 :aaaaa:

Edminster posted:

dmitri martin?
Yeah that kid. I think I saw one of his specials on netflix or comedy central, he was pretty good i thought.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

deoju posted:

Bob Ross is on Netflix. Dude is chill as gently caress.

There's an (apparently) official Youtube channel slowly putting every episode up. It's up to season 16 I think. We watch it a lot because his voice helps my wife's headaches.