Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ETB posted:

Ugh, that doesn't sound good. I applied and got approved for the new Costco Visa but didn't do it while logged in. I hope they can figure out I am the same person. :v:

I think the trouble arose when I activated my card. When I received my card, I had the option to activate it either by calling in or visiting a website. In the past I have always called to activate. Never had a hitch with this, and then I created a new, separate profile online for the just-activated card account.

This time, though, I activated my new card through the website. Upon activation, I was taken to a screen where I could either link the new account to an existing profile or create a new profile. I chose to link to an existing profile. That's what seems to have caused the mess on the back end. I strongly suspect that if I had just created a new user profile for the new account that I would not be in this mess.

I've never had any issues with having separate profiles for each account in the past (except for the minor hassle of having to log in three separate times to check all the accounts), so I'd recommend just creating a separate online profile for your new Costco Visa once you receive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I've never had a problem linking citi accounts online. I always activate online and I have 4 current CCs with them. I don't want to defend them, but I've not had a problem in the past doing this. :shrug:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah the way Citi's backend works is just poo poo. I haven't had a problem with linking accounts but I wouldn't be surprised if they hosed up something.

They also randomly render my username/password useless so I have to reset it even though I use KeePass and I know I'm using the same thing I've been using to log in for the past 4 months.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I think the problem is when you combine their bank accounts with credit cards. I had a ton of problems when I did that but haven't had any when I keep the cards on a seperate account.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I just linked my new Costco card to my Citi online account with a DoubleCash card with no issues. I don't have a checking or savings account with them though.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I applied for a new Costco Citi Visa a couple days ago and found out I was denied today. This seems weird to me. My FICO is 780, and I've never been late on a payment. I have three other cards--a USAA one I never use (I keep it open to get an insurance discount), a Chase Visa with a $2800 0% APR transfer sitting on it, and a Sallie Mae MasterCard that I pay off every month. Only other debt is a $4800 left on my auto loan.

My only thought was that I opened my Sallie Mae account about 9 months ago, and my USAA account may also look new because they just switched the account from MasterCard to Visa, which cancelled my old card and I was provided with a new one. So it may look like I have two new accounts in the last 9 months?

Maybe they aren't comfortable with my current credit limits? Between my three cards I have a limit of $21K against a $50K/year salary.

While I don't need the card, it would have been convenient since I try to do as much shopping at Costco as possible, and getting them gas rewards would have been nice.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

il serpente cosmico posted:

I applied for a new Costco Citi Visa a couple days ago and found out I was denied today. This seems weird to me. My FICO is 780, and I've never been late on a payment. I have three other cards--a USAA one I never use (I keep it open to get an insurance discount), a Chase Visa with a $2800 0% APR transfer sitting on it, and a Sallie Mae MasterCard that I pay off every month. Only other debt is a $4800 left on my auto loan.

My only thought was that I opened my Sallie Mae account about 9 months ago, and my USAA account may also look new because they just switched the account from MasterCard to Visa, which cancelled my old card and I was provided with a new one. So it may look like I have two new accounts in the last 9 months?

Maybe they aren't comfortable with my current credit limits? Between my three cards I have a limit of $21K against a $50K/year salary.

While I don't need the card, it would have been convenient since I try to do as much shopping at Costco as possible, and getting them gas rewards would have been nice.

You can always call and ask why, although apparently they are swamped right now. I doubt the USAA would show as new.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Are the sign on bonuses for Chase Freedom Unlimited and Chase Freedom separate? I have a Freedom Unlimited, but not the classic Freedom.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

il serpente cosmico posted:

2 new accounts in 9 months isn't unusual at all and shouldn't have prevented you from getting another card. I would search for and call Citi's recon line, they might be able to get you approved or at least tell you why you were denied.

You might also want to check your credit reports from all 3 bureaus and see if there is something on one of them that you don't know about.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

THF13 posted:

2 new accounts in 9 months isn't unusual at all and shouldn't have prevented you from getting another card. I would search for and call Citi's recon line, they might be able to get you approved or at least tell you why you were denied.

You might also want to check your credit reports from all 3 bureaus and see if there is something on one of them that you don't know about.

Yeah, this is correct. Call them and ask for reconsideration. That credit line is fine, you should have plenty of room. Mine is about 2x my salary.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll wait for my official denial letter to arrive, and then give their line a call.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

And just now I got an email telling me that I have been approved. Weird. I'm guessing something weird was going on with the system on their website yesterday.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah probably. The Costco switchover has been a disaster. Apparently citi is inundated with complaint calls.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Doing some planning around how best to maximise my last tuition spend at the end of next month (final one for me, god willing), and work visa payment at the end of the year.

I cancelled my AAdvantage Platinum in late January of last year. Unfortunately the 18 month cooldown on it is basically right when Semester 2 tuition is due, I don't think the university will give me an extension to wait for the application to go through, then get the card. Plan is now to wait until I need to make my visa payment ($4k spend) in December to do that. AAdvantage Platinum is usually $1k spend for 30,000 miles, I figured I'd also couple it with the AMEX Starwood (my only chance to use them as my uni doesn't take them, but the government's payment processor does) which is a $3k spend. Neatly adds up to the $4,000 for the visa, and would give me those 25k points I could transfer to the airline program of choice, probably AAdvantage. Looking at it that way, 55k miles on $4k spend isn't bad, I was actually considering doing the Admiral's Club AAdvantage card earlier ($450 fee and I'd probably not use any of the amenities) which is 60,000 miles on $5k spend.

For the present: I was just instantly approved for the 50k United Explorer through Chase today, which put me at the 5 cards/24 months limit they have. I got the Sapphire Preferred through them earlier this year and had to call in to recon, pleasantly surprised at that. The 50k bonus ends on the 30th of this month if anyone else was thinking about it.

I still have a bit north of $3k left on my tuition bill that I could use to hit a minimum spend, but I'm pretty much SOL on the good airline cards as I don't do any domestic flying in the US, the uni only takes Visa/MC, and I'm waiting on cooldowns for AAdvantage and BA (not to mention the United card I just got). Not sure it's worth the hard pull to do one of those "40,000 miles" (actually only $400 of travel credit) cards like the Barclay Arrival Plus or CapitalOne Venture, OTOH... free money? I do need to make a trip to Melbourne later this year, so that could cover hotel and car rental, if not airfare. Would either the AMEX or the AAdvantage card look askance at two other applications within a short time of each other 5 months prior?

Also, anyone have tips on using Avios for international trips? I'm sitting on like 80,000 of them over here in Australia and have heard they're good for spending on Qantas for domestic hauls, at least.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 25, 2016

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Yeah probably. The Costco switchover has been a disaster. Apparently citi is inundated with complaint calls.

Counter post: my switch over was seamless. Got the card a week or two prior, activated it, on Monday went in and added it to my online account; my account has checking as well as a couple credit cards.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The Electronaut posted:

Counter post: my switch over was seamless. Got the card a week or two prior, activated it, on Monday went in and added it to my online account; my account has checking as well as a couple credit cards.

Counter-counterpoint, record level complaints.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Doing some planning around how best to maximise my last tuition spend at the end of next month (final one for me, god willing), and work visa payment at the end of the year.

I cancelled my AAdvantage Platinum in late January of last year. Unfortunately the 18 month cooldown on it is basically right when Semester 2 tuition is due, I don't think the university will give me an extension to wait for the application to go through, then get the card. Plan is now to wait until I need to make my visa payment ($4k spend) in December to do that. AAdvantage Platinum is usually $1k spend for 30,000 miles, I figured I'd also couple it with the AMEX Starwood (my only chance to use them as my uni doesn't take them, but the government's payment processor does) which is a $3k spend. Neatly adds up to the $4,000 for the visa, and would give me those 25k points I could transfer to the airline program of choice, probably AAdvantage. Looking at it that way, 55k miles on $4k spend isn't bad, I was actually considering doing the Admiral's Club AAdvantage card earlier ($450 fee and I'd probably not use any of the amenities) which is 60,000 miles on $5k spend.

There's always the citi aadvantage gold. It's usually 25k mi for $750 in 3mo I think. I thought I read recently that it was targeted up to 50k, but I could be mistaken.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cacafuego posted:

There's always the citi aadvantage gold. It's usually 25k mi for $750 in 3mo I think. I thought I read recently that it was targeted up to 50k, but I could be mistaken.

Nah you're correct. No idea what the targeting criteria are though.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Holy poo poo citi's customer service is bad. I guess I've been spoiled dealing mostly with amex.

gently caress ever doing anything except minspend through them.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Bank of America has made the fatal mistake of doing team cards again. $200 cash back for $500 spend.

https://consumer.bankofamerica.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VACOZP#b

Supposedly they're a little picky with people who aren't BOA customers already, but I signed up for 5 cards no problem. Also 0% interest rate on purchases/balance transfers done in the first 60 days.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harry posted:

Bank of America has made the fatal mistake of doing team cards again. $200 cash back for $500 spend.

https://consumer.bankofamerica.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VACOZP#b

Supposedly they're a little picky with people who aren't BOA customers already, but I signed up for 5 cards no problem. Also 0% interest rate on purchases/balance transfers done in the first 60 days.

Wait, you can get the sign on bonus for multiple cards? You sure? I can't see anything in the rules that says that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Oh, that one has slipped completely beneath my radar!

Unfortunately, reading the fine print there's a 3% charge for foreign transaction fees (I pay my tuition to a foreign university), so I'd eat $22.50 on that $750 minimum spend. That's be totally worth it though; 25,000 miles is a OW to Southeast Asia. So getting the Gold now wouldn't hurt me in a few months when I go to apply for the Platinum, when its 18 month cooldown wears off?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So getting the Gold now wouldn't hurt me in a few months when I go to apply for the Platinum, when its 18 month cooldown wears off?

I don't think it would. I signed up for 2 platinum AAdvantage cards and got 50k each (world elite loophole which I think is dead now) and an AAdvantage gold (25k) all within the last 12 months. You should be fine.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wait, you can get the sign on bonus for multiple cards? You sure? I can't see anything in the rules that says that.

They're considered separate cards, so each gets a bonus. Reddit hit it pretty hard last time around and they all got the multiple bonuses. Same thing happened with Barclays NFL card a few years ago.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Harry posted:

They're considered separate cards, so each gets a bonus. Reddit hit it pretty hard last time around and they all got the multiple bonuses. Same thing happened with Barclays NFL card a few years ago.

Wow, nice. I have one of the cards from months ago and applied for a new one. It said they couldn't tell me my status right now and would let me know in 25-30 days.

Does that usually mean that you are not getting accepted? Last time it approved me right away.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Wow, nice. I have one of the cards from months ago and applied for a new one. It said they couldn't tell me my status right now and would let me know in 25-30 days.

Does that usually mean that you are not getting accepted? Last time it approved me right away.

Not sure, this is the first BOA card I've ever apped for and got instant approvals. I would say if you don't get an email in a day or two saying approved, you probably will be rejected.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ally launched a new card, judging by the email I just got.
  • 2% back on gas/groceries
  • 1% on everything else
  • no annual fee
  • $100 signup bonus on a $500 spend
  • "10% Ally Deposit Bonus when you deposit [rewards] into an eligible Ally Bank account. Eligible accounts include Money Market, Non-IRA Online Savings and Interest Checking."
The Ally Deposit Bonus works like this:

quote:

If you redeem your cash rewards into an eligible Ally Bank account (an eligible account is an Ally Bank non-IRA Online Savings, Interest Checking or Money Market Account you will earn an additional 10% rewards bonus. You must have an eligible Ally Bank account, which is open and in good standing, to be eligible for the 10% rewards bonus. As an example: $10,000 spent in purchases x 2% = a cash back reward of $200, plus the 10% bonus reward equals a cash back reward total of $220 into your eligible Ally Bank account.
Not sure it makes a ton of sense for my with my current card collection, but the signup bonus is decent I suppose!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I found out that ALDI now takes credit card payments, so I ran over there yesterday to grab a few things with a rewards card

Despite having EMV readers for the past 5 years, they're still not activated

:psyduck:

I had my debit card skimmed at an ALDI a few years ago, so I guess they still haven't learned

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
What is the best thing to do with cards that have slashed their rewards programs?

I just stick them in a drawer.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
This is not the thread I meant to post in.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

Sort of related:

Anyone ever done a big damage protection claim as a benefit of a card? I've done some small claims with two different cards before (Chase lost item, Citi missed event) but both were under $100. I had a couple large purchases ($1000+) in the last month that were damaged in a bike accident last week. How was the process?

Trip report (so far):

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Submitted two damaged purchases on one claim, approximately $475 across the two purchases (the max for CSP's benefit is $500 on a claim), and they cut me a check in under 12 hours. Pretty easy process, can upload everything to a website.

Citibank AA Plat Select and Prestige - sweet christ, what a pain this has been, still not resolved.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

The Electronaut posted:

Sort of related:

Anyone ever done a big damage protection claim as a benefit of a card? I've done some small claims with two different cards before (Chase lost item, Citi missed event) but both were under $100. I had a couple large purchases ($1000+) in the last month that were damaged in a bike accident last week. How was the process?

Amex Blue Cash Preferred - submitted a claim.... eight months ago? Disappeared into a black hole and I never heard from them again, I ended up berating the vendor into refunding me.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Discover deposited yearlong doubled cashback today, $400+ dollars!

Thinking about applying for a second Discover It card to do it all over again, or if I should wait a few months to be eligible to apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and their 5/24 rule.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

THF13 posted:

Discover deposited yearlong doubled cashback today, $400+ dollars!

Thinking about applying for a second Discover It card to do it all over again, or if I should wait a few months to be eligible to apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred and their 5/24 rule.

Nice. I'll be up for mine at the end of August, I think. I absolutely milked the Apple Pay promo last fall and have already redeemed ~$900 in cash back, so I'm thinking I'll have a pretty nice surprise waiting for me one morning in the next few months...

I'd probably wait for the CSP. That bonus is easily worth $450, whereas you'll need to work to get that from Discover. The calculus might change if Discover showed signs of getting rid of the double cashback promo, but that doesn't seem to be the case right now and it's not a hard card to get. CSP would be my priority.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

Amex Blue Cash Preferred - submitted a claim.... eight months ago? Disappeared into a black hole and I never heard from them again, I ended up berating the vendor into refunding me.

I've had a handful of extended warranty claims with Amex and they were usually resolved pretty painlessly.

Edit: this came off kind of dickish. Was more of a "I don't know" *shrug* I think they make the thing painful so they don't have to pay out.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 8, 2016

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've always heard the rule that rather than cancelling credit cards you don't use anymore, you should keep them open and just cut up the card. Is there a limit to that where it starts to hurt you to have too many cards open?

I got married a couple years ago, and paid for most of the wedding on credit cards. Even though I had enough cash to pay for about half of it at the time, I put it all on cards to get the various cash back rewards. Thanks to a few generous 18-month 0%APR promotions and a couple balance transfers, I was able to do this and pay almost no interest on the whole thing.

So now the cards are all paid off, but I'm wondering if I should keep them all open or not. In total I have 5 credit cards open, plus I just signed up for (and was approved for) the Costco Visa card, so 6 cards total.

The only card I have that charges an annual fee is my Amex Blue Cash Preferred card, so annual fees aren't a problem.

FAKE EDIT: That brings me to another question - since I'm now planning on doing more grocery shopping at Costco, I was thinking about changing my Amex Blue Cash Preferred card to the Blue Cash Everyday card to get rid of that annual fee. Will Amex let me just change this card over, or do I have to cancel the Preferred card and re-apply for the Everyday card? My annual membership fee renews in January so I probably wouldn't do it until then anyway.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've always heard the rule that rather than cancelling credit cards you don't use anymore, you should keep them open and just cut up the card.

Generally, don't close cards just to close cards because this lowers your total available credit, and utilization is a big part of your score. That being said, unless you have some reason to min/max your credit score (buying a house in the next 6 months), just manage your poo poo and the score will sort itself out.

Personally, I don't have cards I don't use unless they have some secondary purpose. Close the ones you don't use and call the ones you do to have your credit limit raised to make up for it.

Did I lose 10 points when I closed my Citi card and couldn't get the credit limit completely covered? Yeah, for about 3 months. Turns out, never having a late payment and using my cards regularly makes me a pretty good guy to loan money to.

The secret to a >800 credit score? Have money, spend money, use debt, pay it off.

EDIT: Closing cards can also affect average account age, so again, if you're buying a house/car soon then be wary, but again, it will sort itself out.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I"ve kept all of mine open. I mostly use 2 cards, but I'll put something on the others to keep the accounts open/active. Off the top of my head, I have 7. But it makes my total available credit huge. So that really helped out my score when I had to shop for mortgages.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the advice! Definitely going to leave them all open then, as I'll probably be doing some house hunting of my own sometime next year unless I keep reading the Home Ownership thread and get scared away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

Trip report (so far):

Chase Sapphire Preferred - Submitted two damaged purchases on one claim, approximately $475 across the two purchases (the max for CSP's benefit is $500 on a claim), and they cut me a check in under 12 hours. Pretty easy process, can upload everything to a website.

Citibank AA Plat Select and Prestige - sweet christ, what a pain this has been, still not resolved.

Citibank: finally done. Almost a 5 figure claim, provided all the documentation, had to go back and forth a couple times to clarify a couple things, and then today, notification my claim has been confirmed and will be paid out as a statement credit.