Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So basically what every rational person assumed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Thank goodness

Now maybe if hade an interesting story, too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Thank god. Apologies for the sperging panic attack.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course, it could still turn out to be a bad movie (though obviously I hope it's good, because it's out right in time for my birthday). :v:

One rumour about something that was being changed in reshoots was from a Reddit user who purported to have worked on the set and claimed (might as well spoiler) that they'd shot a scene where Darth Vader wipes out a team of Rebel soldiers and it's played like a slasher movie, and they were asked to tone that down.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of course, it could still turn out to be a bad movie (though obviously I hope it's good, because it's out right in time for my birthday). :v:

One rumour about something that was being changed in reshoots was from a Reddit user who purported to have worked on the set and claimed (might as well spoiler) that they'd shot a scene where Darth Vader wipes out a team of Rebel soldiers and it's played like a slasher movie, and they were asked to tone that down.

Which is unfortunate because that sounds really cool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

True, but the legitimacy of the source isn't verified to the best of my knowledge.

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hell yes, this would be awesome. One of the things I liked about Paul Kemp's Vader-and-Emperor novel was how freaking scared -everyone- is of Vader. A slasher-esque sequence with Vader just destroying an otherwise overwhelming force would go a long way to introducing/reinforcing Vader-as-bogeyman to the general Star Wars audience.

If that rumor is true, I hope they don't tone it down too much.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Ferret posted:

Hell yes, this would be awesome. One of the things I liked about Paul Kemp's Vader-and-Emperor novel was how freaking scared -everyone- is of Vader. A slasher-esque sequence with Vader just destroying an otherwise overwhelming force would go a long way to introducing/reinforcing Vader-as-bogeyman to the general Star Wars audience.

Honestly, I kinda just want an entire movie of Darth Vader being a badass and slaughtering Jedi. I've kinda wanted that for years before the prequels even existed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
At least those comics he did that were mostly good.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
There's also the bit in Rebels where he massacres a squadron of A-Wings and their flagship, and the scene with the AT-AT where the heroes realize their only hope for survival is to run like hell.

I thought the show did a decent job of showing Vader as the terrifying Dark Side Force god that he was built up to be.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ferret posted:

Not that it matters at all, but is that canon or did it come out during the last throes of the EU? I assume you are referring to Lords of the Sith, here.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

mdemone posted:

Not that it matters at all, but is that canon or did it come out during the last throes of the EU? I assume you are referring to Lords of the Sith, here.

It ties into Rebels and The Clone Wars so I'd assume it's canon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Lords of the Sith is one of the new Canonical novels, yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Rebels any good? I heard it started diving back into Clone Wars stuff and that threw me off, because I was really hoping for something divorced from that show. And the animation never looked quite right to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Rebels any good? I heard it started diving back into Clone Wars stuff and that threw me off, because I was really hoping for something divorced from that show. And the animation never looked quite right to me.

I rather like it. I'm much more a fan of the "band of assholes that tries to be a family" dynamic than I was of "master/apprentice" shenanigans.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's pretty dang good in my opinion. There are a couple of clunker episodes but overall very good. The Clone Wars stuff isn't that big a part of the storyline. Some characters make cameos, some are relegated almost entirely to the background, and only one is kind of central to the plot.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rebels is very "problem of the week" early on, but stick with it because the last half of season two is loving fantastic.

It's very obvious that the early goal was to market to kids for merchandise licensing purposes and once they proved it could make money, they started doing what they wanted.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Except from what I've seen, "do what they wanted" translates into "bring back a ton of clone wars characters because filoni's last show got canceled". I'd really rather not deal with Darth maul or ahsoka again

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Except from what I've seen, "do what they wanted" translates into "bring back a ton of clone wars characters because filoni's last show got canceled". I'd really rather not deal with Darth maul or ahsoka again

Maul only shows up for a couple episodes and is really well utilized.

Ahsoka is a recurring character throughout, but she's not a main character like she was back in Clone Wars, and she's also well used. No more of the whiny petulant apprentice crap; she's more or less an independent that works with the Rebels once in a while.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any confirmation for the rumour about whether Rebels will be ending after its third season?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth maul not only being alive but alive until the OT era is just so goddamn dumb.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Maul only shows up for a couple episodes and is really well utilized.

Ahsoka is a recurring character throughout, but she's not a main character like she was back in Clone Wars, and she's also well used. No more of the whiny petulant apprentice crap; she's more or less an independent that works with the Rebels once in a while.
Ahsoka is worst during the movie and steadily improves throughout season 1. From season 2 forwards she's a completely solid character. Maul still being alive is a bit too much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Darth maul not only being alive but alive until the OT era is just so goddamn dumb.

I thought the same thing until they actually managed to make him interesting. Which he wasn't in his film debut

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Darth Vader has been confirmed for Rogue One, and the Grand Admiral looking guy is named Director Krenek (or something like that). So that Vader slasher scene might happen after all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, and Forest Whittaker's character is straight from Clone Wars!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Oh, and Forest Whittaker's character is straight from Clone Wars!

Huh, nice to see Onderon continue to get mentioned. I also liked the mention of Bloodlines and Saw's "terrorist" actions, considering how hosed up Ahsoka's Onderon resistance actions became. "How come the civilians are afraid of us?" "I don't know, how about we stop having firefights in public places with noncombatants?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Darth Vader has been confirmed for Rogue One, and the Grand Admiral looking guy is named Director Krenek (or something like that). So that Vader slasher scene might happen after all.

"Director Orson Krennic" apparently.

"Krennic" is a pretty good Bantam era Imperial officer name.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Director Orson Krennic" apparently.

"Krennic" is a pretty good Bantam era Imperial officer name.

Yeah, my first thought was that it reminded me of http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Delak_Krennel

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jivjov posted:

I thought the same thing until they actually managed to make him interesting. Which he wasn't in his film debut

Back in 1999, Darth Maul was one of the few things people actually liked about Phantom Menace.

Lucas bringing him back is probably the stupidest idea he had. Maybe above Darth Icky.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Back in 1999, Darth Maul was one of the few things people actually liked about Phantom Menace.

Lucas bringing him back is probably the stupidest idea he had. Maybe above Darth Icky.

Oh I liked Maul well enough, but other than the visual design he was not an interesting character.

Going into his backstory while at the same time letting him try to get personal revenge for the way he was treated was brilliant.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bringing Darth maul back was only topped in stupidity by him having a brother named savage oppress and both of them coming from a colony of zabrak sex slaves for the dathomiri

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Wait, people sincerely liked Darth Maul's visual design and weren't just being ironic about it? :psyduck: He just looks to me like the end result of asking a 14 year old boy to design a scary yet cool looking villain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Wait, people sincerely liked Darth Maul's visual design and weren't just being ironic about it? :psyduck: He just looks to me like the end result of asking a 14 year old boy to design a scary yet cool looking villain.

Many people were 14 years old when Phantom Menace came out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lucas was pretty upfront at the time that he considered the primary audience for Star Wars to be 12-14 year old boys.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Flagrant Abuse posted:

He looked like a natural part of the creature design of the universe. Look at the cantina scene, regular and special edition, there's all sorts of over the top critters. A guy with red and black tribal tattoos and horns, with a dark cloak and double ended saber....hell yeah he was an interesting design that fits seamlessly into the universe (aside: I SO wish the saber hadn't been revealed in trailers...how cool would that have been to see for the first time in the theater?)

And yeah, I was 8 when Phantom Menace hit.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, I'm reading Star Wars Art: Visions and while it's neat seeing the different styles applied to Star Wars some of the choices are...questionable.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/1AYo53s.jpg

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/HGyvduc.jpg

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
All of those own, except the anime.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I want to hang the posh Chewbacca family portrait on my wall.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Flagrant Abuse posted:

It's a good and effective visual design. It communicates that he hates and opposes Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's always strange when official sources actually have even partial nudity. I remember in the Art of ROTJ, the first concept art of Oola was of her topless with a ballgag.