Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Morbi I like the juxtaposition of the King Dolphense balloon with the horrible loving cthulhoid nightmare dragon in the anniversary image. I, too, feel that they are equivalent threats.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Morbi I like the juxtaposition of the King Dolphense balloon with the horrible loving cthulhoid nightmare dragon in the anniversary image. I, too, feel that they are equivalent threats.

Agreed, that is a classy loving image.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

That was basically the first thing I decided about the layout of this nightmare clusterfuck of an image.
That and "Ms. Rufus was clearly the most important character to come out of the gang war so she'll be on top of that section"

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Morbi posted:

... and "Ms. Rufus was clearly the most important character to come out of the gang war so she'll be on top of that section"

I still have a soft spot for the Degenerate Housewives as a concept.

Also dang we're never gonna see what that Giraffe looks like. She has friggen sunbeams emanating from her face.

Also also, who the heck is that silhouette at the very top? I vaguely remember a mention of some Iron Matron character in some chapter or another, but I thought it was in reference to Poppy. Guess I'll have to re-read the whole dang thing to get that straightened out.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Also also, who the heck is that silhouette at the very top? I vaguely remember a mention of some Iron Matron character in some chapter or another, but I thought it was in reference to Poppy. Guess I'll have to re-read the whole dang thing to get that straightened out.

I'm guessing it's "Bright Eyes", the opposum Mary mistook Poppy for when they met in chapter 2: http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-2-page-2/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

I'm guessing it's "Bright Eyes", the opposum Mary mistook Poppy for when they met in chapter 2: http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-2-page-2/

My guess is it's Steel Heel Ofelia (who might be the "Bright Eyes" Mary mentioned). Morbi's had fun teasing her since the first chapter.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Who is the opossum sitting on the left just above Boris's finger? I thought it might be the opossum who was smuggling vials but she is on the right side.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Spaseman posted:

Who is the opossum sitting on the left just above Boris's finger? I thought it might be the opossum who was smuggling vials but she is on the right side.

That's the opossum mom that was clapping very hard when the Queen announced that Poppy was the opossum ambassador.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

My guess is it's Steel Heel Ofelia (who might be the "Bright Eyes" Mary mentioned). Morbi's had fun teasing her since the first chapter.

Nah, Ofelia escaped the silhouettes in the last April Fools, and she doesn't look like she could be confused with a buff mom.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
It's fun to reread Poppy and see the hints and references about future comics. My memory is terrible so I never remember them at the time.

"I've been told my eyes are very reflective" - http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-2-page-8/

Petunia's fighting skills and fast reflexes - http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-2-page-28/ and http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-2-page-30/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also in the author comment here
http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-2-page-9/

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
This chapter, Kit's youngest sister, Twee, was mentioned.

I thought Morbi was keeping her shadowy for her real introduction in the future. She appears the same way in the Anniversary page, so now I wonder if that's actually what she looks like. If she has some kind of shadowy Lucky Star, maybe her description as an "untouchable brat" is literal?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

I thought Morbi was keeping her shadowy for her real introduction in the future. She appears the same way in the Anniversary page, so now I wonder if that's actually what she looks like. If she has some kind of shadowy Lucky Star, maybe her description as an "untouchable brat" is literal?

Twee? That clearly spells Fwoo.

edit: Yes I can read the text bubble. I'm making fun of a) the name and b) the goofy 'font'(?)

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 25, 2016

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

A.o.D. posted:

They say "Twee" in the dialogue right next to it. It guess it's like long s's styled as an "f" in older English. I don't think it's meant to say "Daughfor fho Fhird" above it.

Unless :thejoke:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh, neat back tattoo there, in panel 5.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh, neat back tattoo there, in panel 5.

Ohhhhhh.... I didn't notice that at all.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

The conversation does highly suggest that yeah. I'm assuming Twee is either intangible or indestructible in some way such that she Literally Cannot Be Compelled To Do poo poo.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

The conversation does highly suggest that yeah. I'm assuming Twee is either intangible or indestructible in some way such that she Literally Cannot Be Compelled To Do poo poo.

She has four leaf clover eyes, so I would assume super luck.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I also wonder if the whole creepy eyes springing fully open thing here has anything to do with entering a state of super lucidity?

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Morbi posted:

That was basically the first thing I decided about the layout of this nightmare clusterfuck of an image.
That and "Ms. Rufus was clearly the most important character to come out of the gang war so she'll be on top of that section"

I'm really pleased that instead of a background or anything it's just the giant fightcloud.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

She has four leaf clover eyes, so I would assume super luck.

Ah, good catch I didn't spot that detail. Presumably then she's weak to rolled up newspaper. It is sort of a gray area after all.

neogeo0823 posted:

I also wonder if the whole creepy eyes springing fully open thing here has anything to do with entering a state of super lucidity?

Yeah he seems to be going full Mad Oracle on us. Good thing that the prophecy he utters in his madness doesn't sound super loving ominous or anything!

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

A.o.D. posted:

edit: Yes I can read the text bubble. I'm making fun of a) the name and b) the goofy 'font'(?)

I think it's the lettering system in Flora, I've noticed it a couple other times when there's writing shown (such as with Fazzi's Shame Cube, and the note Poppy left for Lily.)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dartonus posted:

I think it's the lettering system in Flora, I've noticed it a couple other times when there's writing shown (such as with Fazzi's Shame Cube, and the note Poppy left for Lily.)

And for that matter, the "death to dogs" sign on this page.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I want to recommend Hitmen for Destiny as well.
Whoever made it may not be the greatest artist but he really is a good storyteller.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If it used the plain old Latin alphabet glyphs, it'd be dismissed as just for readers' (and author's) convenience; same as why they speak English. But we're shown a different set of glyphs, that makes it explicitly part of the setting "as-is" instead of a transcription for the audience's sake. And it's obviously derived from the Latin alphabet, so there is only one explanation possible: Flora is either a post-apocalyptic Earth or a planet once settled by humans. Now, let's go back to the 2016 announcement, what is the very first item?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I would pay an unreasonable amount of money to ensure that never happens. Morbi, how would you like your bribe?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I will confirm up front that Flora is not Earth in the future, past, or otherwise. It is its own distinct planet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You're no fun. :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dartonus posted:

I'd just like to thank you for bringing my attention to the background detail of Fazzi being put in a Shame Cube for attacking Poppy.

Chicadino runs a tight ship :v:

Edit: This also led me back to this page. I still have no idea what to make of the Madama seeming to recognize Poppy, or calling her Iron Matron.

http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-27/

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 25, 2016

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Cat Mattress posted:

Now, let's go back to the 2016 announcement, what is the very first item?

I'm still trying to decide if it would be more hilarious if one of these were true this time, or none of them. I'd personally guess that the three Mary theories are true, although I guess we'll find out eventually.

EDIT:

Potential evidence:

http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-9-2/ - Mary has Mystana's genes, but Poppy says that the Mothers of Magic don't have any descendants.
http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-25/ - Silvana is still alive (and probably in charge of the Veil, whatever the Veil is), so Mystana might be too.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 25, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Morbi posted:

I will confirm up front that Flora is not Earth in the future, past, or otherwise. It is its own distinct planet.

I can think of at least one other animal people webcomic for which this is true which still has humans in a weird ancient forbear role. Please. Please.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
No, I get it, I'm not a fan of the "humans are inherently special and important" cliche in fantasy animal settings either.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Morbi posted:

No, I get it, I'm not a fan of the "humans are inherently special and important" cliche in fantasy animal settings either.

Fantasy animal settings? I think you mean any setting. Fantasy-fantasy settings? Humans are secretly the best. Science fiction settings? Humans are secretly the best. Science fantasy settings? Humans are secretly the best. Furry animal fantasy settings? Humans. Humans humans humans.

We are the best.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

KittyEmpress posted:

Fantasy animal settings? I think you mean any setting. Fantasy-fantasy settings? Humans are secretly the best. Science fiction settings? Humans are secretly the best. Science fantasy settings? Humans are secretly the best. Furry animal fantasy settings? Humans. Humans humans humans.

We are the best.

Nobody can beat our hairless ape asses!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If Lovecraft did one thing right, was basing his whole mythos on "humans ain't poo poo and they ain't worth poo poo"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So what I'm hearing is that Dragon Ball Z is the best anime ever made

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Burkion posted:

So what I'm hearing is that Dragon Ball Z is the best anime ever made

I love that Krillin, the eternal chump, is the best that mankind has to offer.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Mr. Lobe posted:

I love that Krillin, the eternal chump, is the best that mankind has to offer.

And even Krillin is some kind of weird canonically noseless freakazoid.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Yamcha becomes an order of magnitude more powerful than most of the universe's gods and remains useless the whole way.

Also, being dumped for a guy who committed several genocides has to sting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm a jew

• Locked thread