Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

i think its permanent residents too because there are a lot of american retirees in mexico

ok just looked it up - foreigners are prohibited from ownership within the restricted zone which is everywhere within 31 miles of the coastline and twice that of the national borders

but you can get set up w/ a local bank for 50 year ownership trusts if you really need to for whatever reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i see no problem with laws like if a house is zoned for residence, you gotta actually live there.

also i think p much all houses should be zoned residence.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

OldAlias posted:

some people buy property here and commute to vancouver

what the heck, how?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i'm excited for the upcoming industry of people who live in rich people investment houses so the rich people avoid fines/confiscation/extra taxes

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

jony neuemonic posted:

what the heck, how?

very carefully ahaha hah

for a while my friend's work comped her seaplane and helijet expenses, which is something like ~30 minutes between cities. but then they stopped, so she had to ferry. this isn't a problem for her, though, as her work is often between victoria and van and she has apartments in each city. but there's a number of people who aren't well off in this situation and have stupid transits. for my current job, a woman i trained with commutes from the gulf islands to victoria to work by ferry, which is like ~ 4 hours of transit a day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fishmech posted:

i'm excited for the upcoming industry of people who live in rich people investment houses so the rich people avoid fines/confiscation/extra taxes

you practially need to register as a business to be able to rent out temporarily (ie airbnb). you can rent out to permant residents (months+) easily. you can sublet easily if you live there yourself.

also if your rent is too high for the area, your tenant can complain and youll get ordered to pay the whole difference back up to 3 years -- lotta idiots complained about that "boohoo i rented out my shithole basement to someone and they went and complained and now i have to pay back p much all their rent :qq:"

obvs theres ways about it everywhere, but at least its not new york style here

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 25, 2016

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

OldAlias posted:

very carefully ahaha hah

for a while my friend's work comped her seaplane and helijet expenses, which is something like ~30 minutes between cities. but then they stopped, so she had to ferry. this isn't a problem for her, though, as her work is often between victoria and van and she has apartments in each city. but there's a number of people who aren't well off in this situation and have stupid transits. for my current job, a woman i trained with commutes from the gulf islands to victoria to work by ferry, which is like ~ 4 hours of transit a day

Welcome to Los Angeles of the '90s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

fishmech posted:

...so renters?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

(try making a reliable living touching computers in any place that doesn't have sky high real estate prices rn)

You're joking, right? Computer touching is a great income in plenty of places that aren't NYC, Denver, or SF.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

other way, people getting paid to occupy some rich guy's house that he uses to hide his money from his government

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PotatoJudge posted:

other way, people getting paid to occupy some rich guy's house that he uses to hide his money from his government

that would be pretty absurd, given the 0.6 percent rental vacancy rate in vancouver, and anywhere else property is a viable foreign investment

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

You're joking, right? Computer touching is a great income in plenty of places that aren't NYC, Denver, or SF.

:agreed:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Such as? Genuinely curious here, I've kinda got my eye on Chicago whenever my current thing finishes up and I hopefully walk away with a green card

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

very carefully ahaha hah

lol, i worked with a guy that had an apartment here in victoria while his family (kids + wife) lifed in nanaimo. he drove back to nanaimo every thursday and back to victoria monday mornings.

Apr 7, 2003

You're loving joking, right? My brother makes a reliable living computer touching for a healthcare company in an incredibly depressed part of Pennsylvania, and just bought a very nice house in a lovely place for $70k on an annual income of $90k.

I live in Pittsburgh and pretty much do whatever the gently caress I want to do on an annual income of $120k, which is what my house cost too.

Computer touching won't make you rich in most of the country, but it is absolutely lucrative.

Apr 7, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

Such as? Genuinely curious here, I've kinda got my eye on Chicago whenever my current thing finishes up and I hopefully walk away with a green card

Btw learning about how American computer jobs work from this forum is like learning how living in American cities works from GTA San Andreas.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

that would be pretty absurd, given the 0.6 percent rental vacancy rate in vancouver, and anywhere else property is a viable foreign investment

we're not talking rentals. we're talking places that are straight up bought and left empty maybe 364 days a year

the second tallest building in new york city right now is all residences, and the vast majority of the units do no have anyone actually living there, they're just bought as investments with no bothering to have renters

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

Btw learning about how American computer jobs work from this forum is like learning how living in American cities works from GTA San Andreas.

extremely accurate

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the apartments.com renting is awesome commercials are pretty lol

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is very true and I've had to deprogram a lot of the cynicism i've picked up from YOSPOS for day to day technical stuff

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Krakox posted:

This is very true and I've had to deprogram a lot of the cynicism i've picked up from YOSPOS for day to day technical stuff

your job, your coworkers, and your life is poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

your job, your coworkers, and your life is poo poo

agreed but getting paid to work on oss could be much worse

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

leftist heap posted:

lol, i worked with a guy that had an apartment here in victoria while his family (kids + wife) lifed in nanaimo. he drove back to nanaimo every thursday and back to victoria monday mornings.

lol that sucks. i imagine they have more space there, though prices in nanaimo are rising too. the last time i looked at property the cheapest place i found was in duncan, and they tried to talk around the fact that it was on a brownfield site. was still multiple times more expensive than a similar place on potato island

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

agreed but getting paid to work on oss could be much worse

could be bss

using your bs cs top 50 on bss

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

lol that sucks. i imagine they have more space there, though prices in nanaimo are rising too. the last time i looked at property the cheapest place i found was in duncan, and they tried to talk around the fact that it was on a brownfield site. was still multiple times more expensive than a similar place on potato island

i think he bought years ago (he was doing this at least 5 years ago) so it was probably dirt cheap at the time. tbf i think he just works remotely out of nanaimo nowadays.

i hope victoria goes back to being boring and not-insane soon. i don't want to live in mini vancouver.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

if you make them "renters" you have obligations like fixing poo poo and keeping it all functional, if you call them a "groundskeeper" or something and pay them sub-minimum wage ~gig economy~ contractor prices you can charge them for the repairs I bet!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

fishmech posted:

we're not talking rentals. we're talking places that are straight up bought and left empty maybe 364 days a year

the second tallest building in new york city right now is all residences, and the vast majority of the units do no have anyone actually living there, they're just bought as investments with no bothering to have renters

this is supposed to be illegal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

yes, i am aware

the joke was the "industry of people who live in rich people investment houses" is renters

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the future of the american dream is being paid $1.50 an hour to live in one room of some rich guy's investment house and paying for all repairs to anything that breaks while you're there, regardless of if it's your fault or not

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

if you make them "renters" you have obligations like fixing poo poo and keeping it all functional, if you call them a "groundskeeper" or something and pay them sub-minimum wage ~gig economy~ contractor prices you can charge them for the repairs I bet!

concierge on demand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm hoping for a fashionable resurgence of traditional noblesse oblige

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

let's just skip all the intermediary steps and go straight back to feudalism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sagebrush posted:

let's just skip all the intermediary steps and go straight back to feudalism

you know, lets skip that too and just straight set up the guillotines.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Snapchat A Titty posted:

this is supposed to be illegal
generally people only consider making "not opening your home to strangers" illegal when there's rent control going on.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey guys, the slumlord running a nerd flophouse has opinions on rent control

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

maybe you could make their rent free on the condition that they work for your startup without pay for a while

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ShadowHawk posted:

generally people only consider making "not opening your home to strangers" illegal when there's rent control going on.

i honestly have no idea what this is even supposed to mean and i feel like its because its so retarded my brain can't comprehend it

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
http://www.modernluxury.com/san-francisco/story/tech-workers-evict-kindergarten-teacher-mission-apartment-using-appliances

quote:

A Kindergarten Teacher May Be Evicted from Her Mission Apartment. Reason: ‘Using Appliances’

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ShadowHawk posted:

i dont get it. the opposite would make sense if landlords are seeking rent, but youre saying that rent control is preventing rentals from becoming available?? wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in this case "your home" is a property you don't live in, and no one else does, because it's a way of moving your wealth out of the country or an investment strategy

the people living in the city in which you've purchased your property are infringing your right to ownership by insisting that someone actually live there, but they wouldn't if landlords could raise rents on a whim, because then it would be a better investment for absentee property owners to find some sucker to pay whatever they ask to live there

rent control means it's a better to leave the property empty and bank on the increasing value than to have it occupied and be limited by rental regulations

• Locked thread