Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I was shocked when Lucky and Disk O' Inferno shrugged off repeated hammer strikes from Beta and Chomp, respectively. Seems like armor is still outpacing 'thwack' weaponry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't have much to add, but I love Battlebots.

Also Adam Savage should just be an announcer instead. I feel like he'd do better at it.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Hammers suck and I'm shocked that a hammerbot won a match.

Complete Control had a really cool win!

Kinda dumb we got an abbreviated Tombstone match as he is the fan favorite.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah, regarding beta, I dont think it should have won against lucky since its blows were completely ineffectual, while lucky made fewer, but more effective and deliberate attacks. The scoring system is dumb if it doesn't take into account effectiveness of attacks.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Just caught up, ah that Complete Control fight is my favorite just to see a flame weapon used effectively.
And drat that weapon the Boys from Brazil had. First time I ever seen an effective drum spinner in this weight class.

Coaaab posted:

I was shocked when Lucky and Disk O' Inferno shrugged off repeated hammer strikes from Beta and Chomp, respectively. Seems like armor is still outpacing 'thwack' weaponry.

The jump from 220 to 250 lbs is pretty huge too.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Subyng posted:

Yeah, regarding beta, I dont think it should have won against lucky since its blows were completely ineffectual, while lucky made fewer, but more effective and deliberate attacks. The scoring system is dumb if it doesn't take into account effectiveness of attacks.

But, all lucky's hits did was launch beta in the air. It didn't do any damage at all. Lucky did look like it took some hits and the flipper was even broken for half the match.

Also, lol at Nightmare still not being able to figure out the self righting mechanism after like 15 years.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

halokiller posted:

And drat that weapon the Boys from Brazil had. First time I ever seen an effective drum spinner in this weight class.
This might be the year of drum spinners, Minotaur and Hypershock looked like beasts out there. Poison Arrow sounds drat scary, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE5sLHfq6jM

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hammerbots have always been trash. The closest to a good one was Diesector, which wasn't really a hammerbot as they were just there for points, self righting, and pinning. I guess KillerHurtz and TerrorHurtz had an axe that worked reasonably well. The Judge was fun, but never great.

Minotaur is good. It comes from the lineage of Touro and Touro Maximus, two of the best drumbots out there. Maximus beat Original Sin last year for a championship.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 24, 2016

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
This was an excellent first episode, I'll be pretty happy if they maintain this standard.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also, lol at Nightmare still not being able to figure out the self righting mechanism after like 15 years.

It had a really cool self righter that was supposed to rotate the arms back into position so it could function upside down but it broke, I guess.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
That srimech seems too slow for it to be effective during combat, especially against a bot like Stinger.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'd hope thats not its top speed and the test was slow just to make sure it worked. Oh well. Maybe next year. That said, the one hit it did land did some serious damage.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

It makes me sad that we miss matches and just get to see recaps of them. They are only three minutes long, they could have shown all of them and only lost 15 minutes of people talking.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

It makes me sad that we miss matches and just get to see recaps of them. They are only three minutes long, they could have shown all of them and only lost 15 minutes of people talking.

They gotta get their reality TV show story lines going though.

I wouldn't mind if they just posted the full fights online. I understand some of the early fights probably might not be super exciting. But give us a way to watch it :(.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They gotta get their reality TV show story lines going though.

I wouldn't mind if they just posted the full fights online. I understand some of the early fights probably might not be super exciting. But give us a way to watch it :(.

The unaired fights are going online like the ones last year (except for Sweet Revenge/Radioactive and Mohawk/Hypershock which were "one robot breaks down and never moves" fights). Theyll should be on ABCs youtube channel at some point.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

goons on Complete Control team please post schematics for your arm mounted flamethrowers, tia

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Nightmare was never going to beat Stinger. Stinger like Sewer Snake should be favored over the vast majority of spinners if not all of them. Nightmare isn't close to the best spinner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Possibly the worst one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Possibly the worst one.

The worst one is any full body spinner that essentially self destructs because it ends up flying all over the place.

Lowtax should sponsor the Goon teams though and get some free advertising from ABC. As for why Adam Savage, noted robot fighting supernerd, isn't doing commentary, only ABC knows and it's probably due to some contractual thing.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I hope we get to see some photos of what Complete Control did to Bombshell's insides.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Great Beer posted:

The unaired fights are going online like the ones last year (except for Sweet Revenge/Radioactive and Mohawk/Hypershock which were "one robot breaks down and never moves" fights). Theyll should be on ABCs youtube channel at some point.
So far they've just posted 3 fights that we've already seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH9aNOU1c4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkB2X3lbnGc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvljqOaQJ0

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why even bother with flying drones? Are they just for the spectacle? I can't see any quad rotor drone assisting in any capacity or ever dealing any damage to a ground based robbit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Caught this as they did the crowd pans. Well played.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

AndyElusive posted:

Why even bother with flying drones? Are they just for the spectacle? I can't see any quad rotor drone assisting in any capacity or ever dealing any damage to a ground based robbit.

It seems like point gathering is their only practical use. If your bot's sturdy enough to avoid a knockout then some well placed fire shots from a drone can help you look more favorable during judging on top of what your main bot was dishing out.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

AndyElusive posted:

I could see if someone really dedicated time to building a drone bot it could maybe be effective. But these 20 pound drones that have poor control? Not going to do very much.

Also with the hammer bots, some of the bots of really bad protection from the top. You can even see Complete Controls insides from the top, one or two hammer/axe strikes straight into the internal components would destroy it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This is the first footage of a fight I've seen since the original show. :eyepop: They can do that now? This is awesome.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I tend to prefer the modular bots to ones that just do one thing really well, but Complete Control really is my favorite after that match and the box shenanigans last year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sammus posted:

This is the first footage of a fight I've seen since the original show. :eyepop: They can do that now? This is awesome.

Yeah, flamethrowers are allowed under the new rules. Last season, no flamethrower really seemed to be particularly effective, this was the first time a flamethrower seemed to appreciably damage another bot so that was cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some of them are just using drones because they have space under the weight limits. A lot of these robots were built years ago for lower weight classes and stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, drones are just there to look pretty, but sooner or later someone will probably find an actual use for them, just not likely this year.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pakled posted:

Yeah, flamethrowers are allowed under the new rules. Last season, no flamethrower really seemed to be particularly effective, this was the first time a flamethrower seemed to appreciably damage another bot so that was cool.

I can't wait to see if this evolves farther in the future. Being able to hold a bot and apply fire for 20-30 seconds is going to probably damage a lot of bots in some way. Even if the flame doesn't get inside the internals, The heat alone might be enough to mess up some components.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pakled posted:

Complete Control has the right idea with how to use a flame weapon. Glancing blows or even a second of two of a bot caught in the flame wouldn't do anything to an otherwise undamaged bot. However, if one can get the flame at point blank and keep it there, as CC did, then the flame becomes super effective. They're especially good with maximizing the grapple time limits since pinning an opponent has a max of 10 seconds while actively carrying it is allowed for 30. CC's claw is also rather clever since it not only has the two moving claw parts that are sorta independent, but it also has a stationary base that can act as part of the claw for carrying.

It's a real clever bot and it'll be sad to see it go when it faces a horizontal spinner.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Gromit posted:

I hope we get to see some photos of what Complete Control did to Bombshell's insides.

https://www.facebook.com/ChaosCorps/posts/996851620411523

Put up some post fight photos on the team Facebook page.

http://www.chaoscorps.org/bombshell-vs-complete-control-pre-fight-activities-strategy-and-post-fight-analysis/

Here's a write-up that goes into all the pre-fight stuff that didn't make the show.

MikeNCR fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 27, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I want to see Bronco fire its flipper while grabbed by Complete Control.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Watching this first episode now and holy hell Blacksmith losing its hammer cracked me the gently caress up.

EDIT: Disk O'Inferno got loving robbed. Even without its weapon it controlled that entire match, and Chomp's blows didn't really do poo poo.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 27, 2016

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Which bots are Goony?

Complete Control is right?
When they introduced Disk-O-Inferno my buddy said "that has got goon all over it... all that is missing are stairs"

I couldn't help but agree.

I like this expanded Battlebots with a 32 team field tourney.
I hate the quick once over also-ran glances even if they are blowouts.

That said, this show is stupid fun to watch tinkering around in the garage, playing MAME and bbqing dinner.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Watching this first episode now and holy hell Blacksmith losing its hammer cracked me the gently caress up.

EDIT: Disk O'Inferno got loving robbed. Even without its weapon it controlled that entire match, and Chomp's blows didn't really do poo poo.

I can kind of agree with the decision after another watch. DI had every opportunity to shove chomp around or make use of the corner hammers and never really did anything with it. The last minute of the fight is DI bumping into chomp and harmlessly slapping it with its lifter. Chomp spent a lot of time in reverse backing away but that seemed to be more to aim the hammer than from anything disko was doing.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Oh Snapple! posted:

Disk Inferno's flips didn't do anything either though, other than make Chomp fly around. Chomp did break their main weapon for half the match and did at least dent up the bodywork. It was a close fight, but I'd give it to Chomp as well. Hopefully Disco Inferno gets a wildcard spot based on the cool design and the characters the team provides to The Battlebots Reality TV Show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What if something exploded in grandiose fashion on one bot, and took out both bots?

Would the bot that initially exploded be the loser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Gonz posted:

What if something exploded in grandiose fashion on one bot, and took out both bots?

Would the bot that initially exploded be the loser?

7.5.7 Simultaneous-Action Incapacitation
If some action by one or both of the Robots (“Action”) causes both Robots to become Incapacitated within 5 seconds of the Action, a “Simultaneous-Action” Incapacitation will be declared, and the following procedure will be used to determine a winner:

a. If the Action occurred more than 60 seconds after the start of the Match, the Judges will decide the winner.
b. If the Action occurred less than 60 seconds have elapsed during the Match, a rematch may be scheduled. If a rematch is not possible, the Judges will decide the winner.

A win due to Simultaneous-Action Incapacitation will be considered a Technical KnockOut.

Doesn't really explain whether judges decide an outright winner in that scenario or if it's considered a premature end to the match and decided on points. There's probably more info in the "BattleBots Judges Guide" that's referenced in the Tournament Rules.

• Locked thread