Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dredmor would probably be a fantastic game by now if it had the long lifecycle of the average roguelike, instead of an expansion pack and then nothing. It's just kind of unbalanced and unrefined mechanically, but I don't think many of its issues are truly fundamental. Maybe the inventory system is.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Meridian posted:

Is Dredmor not particularly liked?
i do not like it very much

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Super cool to see more people getting into Deathstate, I was starting to feel weird for liking it so much. Now inspired to take a couple more shots at the Insanity portal this weekend, maybe another try or two at a no damage run as well.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Dredmore a lot but I haven't played it since I died to the endboss a few years ago.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Zaodai posted:

you're on a level that has that sweeping bar of inverted color, etc.
Does anyone know what these level effects are? I presume the mask of anubis adds one of them (I used it once and it immediately covered my screen in a smi-transparent giant black X pattern that slowly faded away) but I didn't really notice the game playing any differently other than more visual noise.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the vertical bar that sweeps across the screen increases damage dealt and taken for whatever is inside it

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That would actually be one of my other minor complaints. Deathstate does a poor job of conveying to you what the hell is going on, and is frantic enough at times that you can't really just focus on trying to figure out that thing that has changed or if that new tile is going to kill you or something.

Is there a wiki for it that explains stuff?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zaodai posted:

That would actually be one of my other minor complaints. Deathstate does a poor job of conveying to you what the hell is going on, and is frantic enough at times that you can't really just focus on trying to figure out that thing that has changed or if that new tile is going to kill you or something.

Is there a wiki for it that explains stuff?

I don't know about a wiki, but what really helped me track the bullets for the first boss fight was turning on the hitbox and treating it like a bullethell. ...Which is probably really obvious, but hey.

fakeedit: I googled, and there doesn't seem to be a wiki, which is a bummer.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was googling for a wiki last night and couldn't find one, mostly why I asked.

I have the hitbox on, but again the color confusion muddies that and doesn't really help. I guess my brain just doesn't process stuff correctly. I'm just not the core demographic. :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Meridian posted:

Is Dredmor not particularly liked? Always see it mentioned when the genre comes up so figured I should grab it. Not crazy about the art style, but that is hardly the main selling point for these types of games.
It is a good game, it just doesn't have enough polish.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Meridian posted:

Is Dredmor not particularly liked? Always see it mentioned when the genre comes up so figured I should grab it. Not crazy about the art style, but that is hardly the main selling point for these types of games.

Dredmor looks and plays like a very early beta good game. It has so much there under the surface, and all the lattice and materials to make it awesome. It just never used any of that potential. It's very beginner friendly, because most new people won't get far/deep enough to grasp the flaws.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you dig dredmore even a little, get dungeonmans.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Towerclimb is 9 dollars on steam right now if anyone has been waiting for it to go on sale. It's a cool game that I like a lot

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

lets hang out posted:

Towerclimb is 9 dollars on steam right now if anyone has been waiting for it to go on sale. It's a cool game that I like a lot

My one sentence review to people on the fence.

Towerclimb: a cool and good game I will never not be poo poo at.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that is not a very good review

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Awesome! posted:

that is not a very good review

I meant it as the only defect of the game is my lack of personal skill and patience. It's a very mechanically solid game with a fun theme and great death screens just one that im terrible at for some reason.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no i got it i just meant that if i was on the fence it wouldnt have made a difference. i can find people who say "game is good" about bad rats

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

victrix posted:

If you dig dredmore even a little, get dungeonmans.

Seconded, also that game needs a wiki and some general strategy tips. I started playing it last week and I'm hooked.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Fun trivia for Duskers I just stumbled on: apparently docking at the affected airlock fixes it completely when you get the airlock seal failure event. Undocking to move back to wherever you were previously does NOT cause the event to immediately retrigger, either. That seems so ridiculous it almost has to be a bug.

e: and yet the command console gives you a "seal stabilized" line when you dock there. I guess that's how you're intended to handle it. Learn something new every day!

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 25, 2016

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Buy a bunch of new games, end up playing Isaac forever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Meridian posted:

The skill system always seems cool but the inventory management is a pain and the game plays very slowly, so I can't stay interested long enough to get anywhere in it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The skill system always seems cool but the inventory management is a pain and the game plays very slowly, so I can't stay interested long enough to get anywhere in it.

I died because I couldn't figure out how to make my dude face the correct way and said "gently caress this." I have other options.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
FYI, since I don't think anyone mentioned it: there's gonna be a cool roguelike get-together in SF on September 17th. The organizers have lined up a bunch of big roguelike names: two of the developers of Rogue, Tarn Adams, even a couple of roguelike devs from this very thread - among others. if you're going to be in the area this fall, you should come!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

FYI, since I don't think anyone mentioned it: there's gonna be a cool roguelike get-together in SF on September 17th. The organizers have lined up a bunch of big roguelike names: two of the developers of Rogue, Tarn Adams, even a couple of roguelike devs from this very thread - among others. if you're going to be in the area this fall, you should come!

poo poo, that's rad. Wish I could attend, I'll tune in if its broadcast for sure.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Zaodai posted:

I've only had a chance to play maybe 5 runs so far, but I find the color scheme to heavily impact my ability to play. I know that's something that varies from person to person, but the bright pink player shots draw my attention far more than the tiny green enemy shots, especially if those light green shots are against one of the bright blue backgrounds, or you're on a level that has that sweeping bar of inverted color, etc.

It makes it hard to keep track of the enemy shots when stuff is coming in from off the edge of the screen, or from like 8 different directions. :saddowns:

Yeah this is legit. We do a bit to try to keep the visibility up - enemy bullets always show up over top of yours, for example. But if you're having trouble seeing (when the game's not obviously messing with your ability to see!) than it's Not A Good Thing. You might want to try disabling the scanline effects in the graphics settings, if you haven't already, to see if a more stable picture helps.

StrixNebulosa posted:

This sold me on the game! This right here! I've played a few runs now and I really like Deathstate, it's absolutely fantastic. I love the aesthetic, the gameplay, the swords you can find...

But I must nitpick.

Unless you're deliberately misspelling it, I'm pretty sure protege is not spelled protoge.

Eep good catch!! Adding that to the bug list :downs:

There's no Wiki that I know of! A few people were putting together some guides on the Steam forums, at one point. The mysteriousness is definitely intentional, but I'm also happy to chime in to answer specific questions when they don't like, directly have to do with spoiling secrets or something.*

* I reserve the right to answer in riddles, if I see fit.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Wish I could. 'Specially to meet another goon. The only one around here is legendarily NOT one to want to meet.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dredmor's skill system is rad as hell and something no other roguelike has really done, as far as I know. And while it's slow, there are ways to mitigate that; there's an option to double all animation speeds, and when starting a new game you can turn on "no time to grind" mode, which generates levels half the size but gives you double XP for all actions.

The biggest problem is the inventory. The inventory screen itself is pretty bad, and while you have infinite storage space via the Pocket Dimension, the UI for accessing it is "teleport to the pocket dimension and pile all your crap up on the floor". This is really bad considering just how much garbageloot the game generates.

Port the ToME4 or Dungeonmans inventory UI to Dredmor and it would be a much better game, I think.

Meridian posted:

I died because I couldn't figure out how to make my dude face the correct way and said "gently caress this." I have other options.

Dredmor has no concept of "facing in a direction", so that would explain why you couldn't figure out how. Why were you trying?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 25, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
A lot of the problem is the huge amounts of random crafting junk which honestly shouldn't even take up inventory space. But then there's also the 20 different kinds of cheese and booze...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
So, many of you know of that window into What If? that is Elona such that in a parallel world Thomas Biskup went to Japan and absorbed every bit of relevant culture and drugs.

But!

What If...he just kind of generally appeared instead in Russia with a bit of a humorous slant?

The answer is apparently Vanilla Bagel: The Roguelike---whose very name clearly illuminates the best way to wage war in these wilds of genre purity combat while also being vaguely appetite stoking:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/491510

quote:

This game in the RPG/Roguelike genre is a tale of kings, heroes, and the mysteries of the Hermit Valley. In this game you will find a wealth of peaceful settlements, engaging quests, deep dungeons, powerful enemies, and mighty artifacts.

This game is a mostly classic roguelike with a vast game world.

The game has dozens of dungeons and items, and hundreds of unique enemies. There is a great variety in magic, curses and item enchantments. The player has a wide range of abilities, quests to complete and secrets to discover. You can approach any battle in a dozen ways depending on your skills and equipment: teleport, invisibility, mind corruption, putting curses on enemies, and even fully possessing the enemies’ bodies.

This challenging game will please those who love complex roguelikes with a large arsenal of available actions.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ToxicFrog posted:

The biggest problem is the inventory. The inventory screen itself is pretty bad, and while you have infinite storage space via the Pocket Dimension, the UI for accessing it is "teleport to the pocket dimension and pile all your crap up on the floor".

this is exactly what killed it for me

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Dredmor's skill system is rad as hell and something no other roguelike has really done, as far as I know. And while it's slow, there are ways to mitigate that; there's an option to double all animation speeds, and when starting a new game you can turn on "no time to grind" mode, which generates levels half the size but gives you double XP for all actions.

The biggest problem is the inventory. The inventory screen itself is pretty bad, and while you have infinite storage space via the Pocket Dimension, the UI for accessing it is "teleport to the pocket dimension and pile all your crap up on the floor". This is really bad considering just how much garbageloot the game generates.

Port the ToME4 or Dungeonmans inventory UI to Dredmor and it would be a much better game, I think.

Dredmor has no concept of "facing in a direction", so that would explain why you couldn't figure out how. Why were you trying?

Once upon a time we played a Dredmor without Pocket Dimensions, and our heroes developed severe back injuries from carting stashes around manually.

They solved that issue in the most :effort: way possible, but they did solve it, at least. It was just never iterated on because Clockwork Empires captured the developers' attention and, since that game is apparently a Dwarf Fortress-like and has required a solid 4+ years of development, Dredmor's probably never changing further. It's unfortunate since it has a neat basic framework.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 25, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I put a lot of hours into Dredmor pre-pocket dimension and never made use of stashes. I guess the secret is to not give a poo poo about crafting. Also to not have been a NetHack player. :v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really, really like 50% of dredmor's ideas, but the samey enemies, poor communication of what exactly magics and artifacts do, million types of elemental damages and resistances, self-parodying crafting and inventory issues, and the gameplay sort of dragging out make it difficult to actually enjoy playing the game

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

ExiledTinkerer posted:

So, many of you know of that window into What If? that is Elona such that in a parallel world Thomas Biskup went to Japan and absorbed every bit of relevant culture and drugs.

But!

What If...he just kind of generally appeared instead in Russia with a bit of a humorous slant?

The answer is apparently Vanilla Bagel: The Roguelike---whose very name clearly illuminates the best way to wage war in these wilds of genre purity combat while also being vaguely appetite stoking:

Have you played it?

How is it?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ExiledTinkerer posted:

- Why not? he whispered this to himself. - I shall earn the title of a Baron.

- And pretty nubile slaves. He smiled.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Geokinesis posted:

Have you played it?

How is it?

I'm a couple of hours into this and it seems really good but it's a bit hard to get into since there's no documentation or wiki or anything. Worth checking out if you like ADOM or TOME

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I love Duskers most of the time, but boy it really feels like slime should be like half or even a quarter as common as it is. Having it show up just a few rooms in before I've had a chance in hell of finding another airlock, let alone an alternate generator, 3 or 4 derelicts in a row when there's not a damned thing I can do about it really sucks all the fun out of a run for me. Having an enemy in the game specifically designed to say "screw all the rules, literally nowhere is safe for you" is good for the game, but when it starts showing up on too regular a basis, it quicky goes from a terrifying experience to just obnoxious.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Toadsmash posted:

I love Duskers most of the time, but boy it really feels like slime should be like half or even a quarter as common as it is. Having it show up just a few rooms in before I've had a chance in hell of finding another airlock, let alone an alternate generator, 3 or 4 derelicts in a row when there's not a damned thing I can do about it really sucks all the fun out of a run for me. Having an enemy in the game specifically designed to say "screw all the rules, literally nowhere is safe for you" is good for the game, but when it starts showing up on too regular a basis, it quicky goes from a terrifying experience to just obnoxious.

This was my exact sentiment.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
My biggest thing that throws me off in DeathState is the hitbox is not centered on your character but closer to your feet. I've sort of gotten better at just intuitively avoiding getting hit but when it comes down to a situation where I have to closely avoid a shot, I'm probably going to take a hit. Otherwise I've quite enjoyed it.

Although I do NOT like that organ that cuts fire rate for movespeed. DPS > all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

turn on the option to show the hitbox

one thing i would change is having more of a hard outline around that hitbox. like a pixel wide black border or something