Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://letsencrypt.org//2016/06/23/defending-our-brand.html

quote:

Since March of 2016 we have repeatedly asked Comodo to abandon their “Let’s Encrypt” applications, directly and through our attorneys, but they have refused to do so. We are clearly the first and senior user of “Let’s Encrypt” in relation to Internet security, including SSL/TLS certificates – both in terms of length of use and in terms of the widespread public association of that brand with our organization.

If necessary, we will vigorously defend the Let’s Encrypt brand we’ve worked so hard to build. That said, our organization has limited resources and a protracted dispute with Comodo regarding its improper registration of our trademarks would significantly and unnecessarily distract both organizations from the core mission they should share: creating a more secure and privacy-respecting Web. We urge Comodo to do the right thing and abandon its “Let’s Encrypt” trademark applications so we can focus all of our energy on improving the Web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

there were more infosec courses in my MLIS than the BSc in compsci my UG institution offered

FYI the L stands for "Library"

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Installation+Guide+-+System+Requirements

quote:

Disable SELinux
If your server runs an operating system from a source other than the cPanel & WHM installer, you must disable SELinux to make your system compatible with cPanel & WHM.
To disable SELinux security features, use one of the following methods:
Use the graphical interface to disable SELinux while you configure your operating system, and then reboot the server.
Edit the /etc/selinux/config file to set the SELINUX parameter to disabled, and then reboot the server.
The contents of the /etc/selinux/config file should resemble the following example...
Warning:
For cPanel & WHM to run on your server, SELinux must remain disabled.
SELinux in enforcing mode does not allow cPanel & WHM to function properly. For more information about SELinux modes, read the SELinux Mode documentation.
While cPanel & WHM can function with SELinux in permissive mode, we recommend that you do not use it. Permissive mode generates a large number of log entries.
To check the status of SELinux on your server, run the sestatus command.
Do not transfer the SELinux configuration file between computers. It may destroy the file's integrity.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

bicycle posted:

UK universities are far worse. Source: I went to a UK uni and know next to nothing.

Is that not more likely because you're a bit thick rather than all universities in the UK being bad ?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I thought the EFF had already rebranded it to the more obtuse Certbot, but that appears just a weird fork of the client software :shrug:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MrMoo posted:

I thought the EFF had already rebranded it to the more obtuse Certbot, but that appears just a weird fork of the client software :shrug:

No they just renamed the client software

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

YeOldeButchere posted:

i honestly don't recall my university even offering anything security related as part of the comp sci program. literally the only thing with security in the name was the crypto classes, and i pity any poor fucker who took that expecting an easy way to pad their resume for a security job and not number theory all day 'erry day

I took a Cryptocourse when I was in university, it owned. We talked about how fundamentally broken HDCP was (it had just recently been cracked at the time).

Learn Math!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
at my university, the crypto course was pretty good, mostly about the structure of DES, block cipher modes, etc. the network security part though was all about ipsec and I can't remember a single thing about it, and I later learned it's a terrible protocol

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I did not know what an IP Address was through most of college.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I took a security analytics class that was actually just intro to machine learning and data mining. I'm taking a web security class in the fall that'll hopefully be more practical.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

hackbunny posted:

at my university, the crypto course was pretty good, mostly about the structure of DES, block cipher modes, etc. the network security part though was all about ipsec and I can't remember a single thing about it, and I later learned it's a terrible protocol

yeah, that seems similar to what we had. first third was just number theory, second third was formal definitions of various crypto concepts, then last third was looking at DES in details

then those who didn't have enough could take "advanced crypto: hope you like elliptic curves" and "quantum crypto: lol if you think you'll understand any of this"

the best thing about those classes is that they inherently discourage you to roll your own crypto because you get flashbacks to the homework assignments the moment you even think about even taking the hash of something, and you remember all the ways even the tiniest stupid detail could be exploited to distinguish your output from a randomly generated one in polynomial time and oh god it's all coming back now

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol @ that course curriculum

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

if you search @Comodo_SSL on twitter, they have a mention maybe every other day until yesterday. they have quite a bit more mentions per day now

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

apparently they're abandoning the application

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
oh, apparently they have backed down

welcome to the 2010s, where companies do not have customer support any more. instead you need to humiliate them on social media to get service

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
triaging issues in 2016:

is the daily -gate suffix hashtag that is trending today related to our company?

yes -> first issue a statement that is just fuel for the fire, then 6 hours later apologize and back down
no -> hookers and blow for everyone

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Wheany posted:

triaging issues in 2016:

is the daily -gate suffix hashtag that is trending today related to our company?

yes -> first issue a statement that is just fuel for the fire, then 6 hours later apologize and back down
no -> hookers and blow for everyone

i the "no" is a fallthrough case from the "yes", fyi :cocaine:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ultramiraculous posted:

i the "no" is a fallthrough case from the "yes", fyi :cocaine:

pliess

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013

jre posted:

Is that not more likely because you're a bit thick rather than all universities in the UK being bad ?

little of column A, little of column B

the curriculum definitely needs improving, but it's always the case that the individuals who work their rear end off and care about the subject enough before attending uni will do better.

there's also a weird thing where many people go to university and expect a job to be handed to them as soon as they're done - they don't often care about what subject they choose because they just need to pass some tests to get an easy job

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bicycle posted:

there's also a weird thing where many people go to university and expect a job

didnt used to be weird

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

bicycle posted:

little of column A, little of column B

the curriculum definitely needs improving, but it's always the case that the individuals who work their rear end off and care about the subject enough before attending uni will do better.

there's also a weird thing where many people go to university and expect a job to be handed to them as soon as they're done - they don't often care about what subject they choose because they just need to pass some tests to get an easy job

bicycle posted:

Two years later I'm interviewing uni grads who don't understand what a snort rule is or what grep does :shrug:

Why do you expect computing science grads to know a specific piece of software, and why are asking that in a interview ?

A good computing science degree course shouldn't be about teaching you how to program in java/c# or use specific software

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
to clarify I'm talking about the Network/Computer Security specific degrees rather than computer science which is generally miles ahead in my experience

we ask a range of questions, they don't need to get them all correct - but coming out of a sec degree not knowing general knowledge about IDS or base Linux commands is worrying

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
my networking degree had one class where we installed linux in a VM and ran some commands the teacher gave us

everything I learned about linux was from installing and janitoring it on my home computer myself

it was a big IBM school too so we learned Java and swing and learned SQL by logging into the mainframe and running queries against the db2 test database

I was so worried about people reacting the way you did just now in interviews that I put off my computing career for years

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

bicycle posted:

to clarify I'm talking about the Network/Computer Security specific degrees rather than computer science which is generally miles ahead in my experience

gently caress, that's a fairly important detail I missed.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't wait to take advanced xargs 201 next term!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I liked learning automata theory in class, light vulnerability research in the wizardsecurity club, and about !$ and !! from some speaker the ACM brought in

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

letsencrypt posted:

We take it very seriously when we see the potential for our users to be confused, or worse, the potential for a third party to damage the trust our users have placed in us by intentionally creating such confusion.
"we don't want commode hurting our brand with their lovely service"

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
the course description says it's about xargs but most of the class is about "find -print0"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.carbonblack.com/2016/06/24/finding-atm-skimmer-pays-paranoid/

https://youtu.be/ll4f0Wim4pM

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
trigger warning: portrait video

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
why does the phone need to take video in portrait when the phone is held upright? I don't know much about digital cameras, is it just the way the camera itself is built?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Segmentation Fault posted:

why does the phone need to take video in portrait when the phone is held upright? I don't know much about digital cameras, is it just the way the camera itself is built?

yes, the camera sensor has more pixels in one axis than it does in the other. on a phone, the sensor is usually positioned so that the wide axis of the camera corresponds to the wide axis of the screen, because doing it the other way would be really dumb.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Wheany posted:

oh, apparently they have backed down

welcome to the 2010s, where companies do not have customer support any more. instead you need to humiliate them on social media to get service

that's like 90% of the reason i have a twitter account

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

~Coxy posted:

trigger warning: portrait video

If only video sites had some way to examine the metadata of the video and change their layouts to be appropriate for whichever orientation the video was shot in. Alas, this may be too hard for modern computing, even in 2016.

quote:

:words: about universities

Yaaaaaay, my perennial rant! Most people go to universities to learn software engineering so that they can get an industry job, and instead the curriculum focuses on number theory and analysis of algorithms on the off chance that you want to design (but not write, heavens no that would be coding, that's for the plebs) your own sorting algorithm.

Meanwhile, new grads have no idea what source control is, or other modern engineering practices, and get suckered into awful workplaces because they were literally never taught any better.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Yaaaaaay, my perennial rant! Most people go to universities to learn software engineering so that they can get an industry job, and instead the curriculum focuses on number theory and analysis of algorithms on the off chance that you want to design (but not write, heavens no that would be coding, that's for the plebs) your own sorting algorithm.

Meanwhile, new grads have no idea what source control is, or other modern engineering practices, and get suckered into awful workplaces because they were literally never taught any better.

universities are not supposed to be vocational training. they are starting to turn in to that because that's what people want, but the concept of the institution is pretty much the opposite of vocational training

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
why would you want a bunch of professors who haven't been in the industry for years if ever to try and teach "modern coding practices?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

DuckConference posted:

universities are not supposed to be vocational training. they are starting to turn in to that because that's what people want, but the concept of the institution is pretty much the opposite of vocational training

I'm not suggesting that we make universities vocational training, I'm suggesting that they modernize and keep track of developments in the industry instead of teaching the degree like it's the 80s, or like most of the graduates are going to just go right back in with grad school. Some schools do a good job of this, and make Python the beginner language, and teach about source control at the 100 level classes. Others make the "Well you'll just be able to pick up any language when we're done, so here's Pascal" argument (which I suspect is because the chairs never learned anything newer than Pascal), and go heavy on theory without any real world application unless your next step is a masters in CS. In particular, the conflict between

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i know a guy who says when he's employing graduates he doesn't want them to have even touched a computer on their compsci degree otherwise he has to spend a year unteaching them poo poo.

which sounds an awful lot like a lot of the department chairs, and

bicycle posted:

we ask a range of questions, they don't need to get them all correct - but coming out of a sec degree not knowing general knowledge about IDS or base Linux commands is worrying

which is the reality for anyone who actually wants to get a job instead of jumping back to grad school.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 26, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dubstep Jesus posted:

why would you want a bunch of professors who haven't been in the industry for years if ever to try and teach "modern coding practices?"

But yeah, this seems like part of the real problem; no one wants to modernize because it's all math and why should they need to change when the math hasn't?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

engineering degress pretty much are vocational training in that sense, in terms of "here are the underlying principles of how things work in this field, and an introduction to some of the tools and procedures used to actually get things done in such a job", afaik mech.e and civ.e undergrads use tools/software/methods more or less resembling what practicing engineers use

at least in my comp.e bachelors we used academic versions of chip CAD layout programs, lots of stuff from mentor graphics like leonardo

so yeah, agreed that a software engineering degree is what a lot of people seem to want and expect a comp.sci degree to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

But yeah, this seems like part of the real problem; no one wants to modernize because it's all math and why should they need to change when the math hasn't?

the maths have grown and a better focus on modern languages and environments would provide a better foundation for learning about 21st century data structures like leveldb, dynamo rings, bounded semilattices, etc.

• Locked thread