Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Invisible Ted posted:

I hope not, that sounds really hosed up

yea I really can't believe that would be the thing because that'd turn 'ok you're kinda annoying, shut up' to a thing a generally lovely person would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
What ad is the french line in and can you link to an episode of something that includes the ad?

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I don't get why Max Fun ads are always so self absorbed. Just show 15 seconds of what you're about. The first 15 seconds of wizard swears would be better than the one MBMBAM ad I heard.

So Greatest Generation is part of Max Fun now. I haven't heard ads yet, but I hope they're going to be pretty on point.

If you haven't listened to Greatest Gen, it's pretty good. Episode by episode Star Trek TNG synopsis/critique by guys who could be on NPR. Except for all the swearing and dick jokes. Anyone else listen?

Edit: Ars wrote about it before they landed with Max Fun. http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/02/if-you-grew-up-watching-st-tng-then-youll-love-this-new-podcast/

vvv It's not with him.

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 25, 2016

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I haven't listened to Greatest Generation, but I think that's the show with John Roderick in the ads. Which made me think John Roderick was on the show.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Wake_N_Bake posted:

So Greatest Generation is part of Max Fun now. I haven't heard ads yet, but I hope they're going to be pretty on point.

The ads are the "Jean -Luc Picard" novelty song with who I assume to be a host explaining why you probably don't want to listen to it.

Why do so many of these ads seem self deprecating?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Team_q posted:

Why do so many of these ads seem self deprecating?

Max Fun's business model is attracting an audience of people who would rather pay $60 a week to Blue Apron than look up recipes on the internet and actually leave the house go shopping, self-confidence and sincerity is their kryptonite.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like Greatest Gen.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Please stop cyber bullying literally the entire Max Fun network.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Guy Mann posted:

Max Fun's business model is attracting an audience of people who would rather pay $60 a week to Blue Apron than look up recipes on the internet and actually leave the house go shopping, self-confidence and sincerity is their kryptonite.

Oh cool we're doing this again now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Meowjesty posted:

Please stop cyber bullying literally the entire Max Fun network.

This man is the founder of the network. It's hard not to bully it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Yeah but now he looks like Sting

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

SpacePig posted:

This man is the founder of the network. It's hard not to bully it.

Lol fuckin Jesse, he's got good taste and a bad face and I like him and I also want to push him into some mud.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Guy Mann posted:

It's a gamer thing. Surprisingly the group that gets super pissy about women and gays also loves "ironically" talking like sissies and calling people daddies.
...that fetish isn't really specifically a gamer thing in any way my dude lol

FutonForensic posted:

The history of games is filled with shames, and we need to mock it as a people.
But can your frame handle the shame, is the real question.

the one ad with the people talking about being "hollywood 30-somethings" and having "incredibly snark-filled discussions" is the most off-putting ad of all time. like it's basically "we're douchebags, please listen to us." no thanks?
greatest generation would be 10x better if they would drop the whole "we're so embarrassed about liking star trek" thing because it just really isn't that funny and even if it was it's the same joke every time. they would also be more funny if they stopped making jokes about the captain molesting wesley, that's also not very funny but they seem to think it's great.

I don't mind any of the other ads really but I have no idea what the beef thing is about or making fun of.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

The problem with podcasts is that, unless you have a really strong concept, it's pretty much impossible to say "my friends and I thought our conversations needed to be recorded and shared with the world" without sounding like a douche.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I just don't know how you can live in this world and unironically use the word snark. That's an immediate gently caress you from me.

That's one of those words you cannot use when talking about yourself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

guy mann is someone who tries so hard to own everybody else around him he just ends up owning himself repeatedly

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Wake_N_Bake posted:

If you haven't listened to Greatest Gen, it's pretty good. Episode by episode Star Trek TNG synopsis/critique by guys who could be on NPR. Except for all the swearing and dick jokes. Anyone else listen?

See pg 41 for when they originally got picked up and the ads started.

myron cope posted:

I haven't listened to Greatest Generation, but I think that's the show with John Roderick in the ads. Which made me think John Roderick was on the show.

They're both friends with Roderick (and are making a documentary about him i think?) and he mocked them for having this podcast when they started it, so they got him to do one of their ads.

IronicDongz posted:

greatest generation would be 10x better if they would drop the whole "we're so embarrassed about liking star trek" thing because it just really isn't that funny and even if it was it's the same joke every time.

I think rather than being self-deprecating it's just important self awareness of how loving non-serious this is, which is necessary when dealing with having your contact info up for an obsessive fan base to get to. Like in a recent episode when they admitted to having no idea what "sectors" are in Trek geography, and ending it with "And DON'T email us to tell us what sectors are, we DON'T care". Even then they probably still got 20 email links to the Memory Alpha wiki article about it anyway.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I just caught up to the adventure zone and oh boy its doing my favorite trope in all of fiction!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Does anyone else keep thinking the uninteresting Throwing Shade clone on Max Fun is called Minority Report? Because that's an infinitely better name than Minority Corner and also I fail to understand why anyone would ever want to listen to that show.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I just don't know how you can live in this world and unironically use the word snark. That's an immediate gently caress you from me.

That's one of those words you cannot use when talking about yourself.

This one always gave me the feeling that the crews of the shows might not write the ads themselves. There's no feasible way that someone would refer to their own banter as "snark-filled". I refuse to believe it's possible.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Lol fuckin Jesse, he's got good taste and a bad face and I like him and I also want to push him into some mud.

I like the guy, but it annoys me to no end that he genuinely believes noted transphobe Ru Paul is one of the nicest people in the world.

Then again, a lot of people don't know about that.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Mikedawson posted:

I like the guy, but it annoys me to no end that he genuinely believes noted transphobe Ru Paul is one of the nicest people in the world.

I think a lot of people don't realize how lovely drag culture in general (and really, the entire concept if you think about it) is towards trans people.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

poop dood posted:

Does anyone else keep thinking the uninteresting Throwing Shade clone on Max Fun is called Minority Report? Because that's an infinitely better name

There's already a podcast called The Minority Report, with a gay guy and a jewish guy. Best name has been taken.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mikedawson posted:

You're gonna be real bummed when you hear about the McElroys then

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

That annoys me too, but not quite as much

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Wait RuPaul a transphobe? What? Source?

Edit: if it's just about him using the word Tranny then I'm like w/e. Like I get why people would be upset but in relative terms that's pretty low on the transphobe totem pole

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 26, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
It's a clash between two semi-overlapping groups who both work and fight to dispel/mock/transcend gender norms in a vivid display of classic left-wing progressive self-cannibalism.
That's what the deal is.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/06/25/3449462/drag-queens-trans-women/

Pop rocket has the worst ads though for sure.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Hi I'm trans and RuPaul says some stupid poo poo but he's not transphobic (and personally I am pissed that people waste their time and energy attacking our allies for minor things instead of organizing to fight the people who are actively working against us). I'm not gonna go into this, since this isn't the appropriate place, but Scudworth's post is a very good discussion of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea RuPaul is ignorant as all hell about why 'tranny' is offensive to some in the community but considering how basically everything else regarding trans people he does is on the side of support and his kinda whole thing is 'gender divisions are stupid and masculine and feminine are part of a scale rather than some rock solid thing' it feels like dumping him into the 'gently caress it he hates trans people' pile is a bit reductive.

On a more on topic post, Minority Korner is just so goddamn boring. Like, I wasn't expecting the world thanks to those terrible ads but they're not even like, dumb or funny in them being lame, it's just two incredibly boring people approaching minority issues from the most base level view possible. I guess if you've literally never thought about minority experiences other than your own it'd be interesting but I don't know who their audience is on MaxFun?

Like I kinda feel bad because they seem to be genuinely trying real hard, but they're just coming across as a bootleg Throwing Shade for me.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Given the same hour is looping over and over, does that make Magnus's Stoneskin permanent for as long as they're in the loop?

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

IIRC drag is very important in black and latino trans communities as a way of ""acceptably"" dressing how they feel is comfortable without getting too poo poo on for it, and it's got a very long and intricate history with LGBT spaces.

that being said I've also seen a lot of trans people arguing that it's insulting for people to act like their identity is a costume and I'm not trans, so v:shobon:v

Also I don't really like maxfun ads except for the song exploder one, but I'm not sure I'd listen to the actual podcast. It sounds really chill and relaxing, but has anyone here listened to it?

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Song Exploder is pretty good overall, but it's especially good if you are familiar with the original song, and even better if it's a song with a lot to dissect component-wise (I'm thinking of dense electronic tracks in particular, like Baths or Clipping). I don't have a lot of recommendations because I haven't listened to any in a while, but I can say that sadly the episode with Carly Rae Jepsen is only Fine, even though she's very charming in it.

Reformed Pissboy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 26, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah I was gonna say Song Exploder was one of the few which sounded good from the ad. John Hodgeman's also does, because it's a good premise and he has good showmanship

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
It was extremely confusing when the long pre-recorded podcasts still had ads for Song Exploder weeks after it left Max Fun.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Someone uploaded both segments of the Coldplay LJ post.

http://tesladyneindustries.tumblr.com/post/146417217363/the-coldplay-saga-a-story-of-one-persons

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

This man's whole tumblr is extremely good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Magic Brian's death scene is still art.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Farg posted:

Elliot's voice is good and pure, but contains tones that drive off undesirables, like that mosquito sound they use to stop teens from loitering

I listen to the flop house and it's good but when Elliot sings I want to beat him up in real life. Triggered AF.

Also I know we talk about this all the time but that Pop Rocket ad is the most effective anti ad I've ever seen. I wish there was a way that I could preemptively unsubscribe so hard that they actually lose two listeners
As a longtime MaxFun supporter and recent Flophouse convert, it saddens me when these discussions kick off every month or so.

Looking past the ads, Pop Rocket suffers from the same disease as Trends Like These, in that the hosts are neither insightful enough nor funny enough to keep me listening. It's like spending an hour listening to surface-level insights from your two loudest acquaintances.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Sivart13 posted:

As a longtime MaxFun supporter and recent Flophouse convert, it saddens me when these discussions kick off every month or so.

Looking past the ads, Pop Rocket suffers from the same disease as Trends Like These, in that the hosts are neither insightful enough nor funny enough to keep me listening. It's like spending an hour listening to surface-level insights from your two loudest acquaintances.

The thing about podcasts is that they are almost all like an hour of people rambling on in your ear. Not everyone is going to like the ones you like. My favorite one is Oh No Ross and Carrie but I also completely agree wth the criticisms of the person earlier who hates it. It's just that those parts of it are charming to me and annoying to him. My husband doesn't really like any of the podcasts I like. Just the concept of MBMBaM elicited a groan from him.

Podcasts are a weirdly personal thing and don't get too sad if someone doesn't like the one you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

defectivemonkey posted:

Podcasts are a weirdly personal thing and don't get too sad if someone doesn't like the one you like.
This is a really important thing to remember. I would also add that it's OK to like a podcast for a while then over time not like it or only like certain parts of it.

For example, I really like Judge John Hodgman at its outset, but after the first hundred episodes or so I now only listen to the docket-clearing episodes regularly. For Sawbones, ONRAC or Flophouse I tend to pick and choose based on whether the episode's subject matter appeals to me. I liked Bunker Buddies at first but it fell off after they burned through the initial material; I needed an indefinite break.

On the other hand Still Buffering started very slow but got a paradigm shift once they brought on another regular host that I feel improved the dynamic quite a bit, making it a true My Sister, My Sister & Me without just being a MBMBaM ripoff. For what it's worth, I feel like JJGo and SPY are just really consistently good at this point but they are both very long-running shows that are easy to dive into at any point (as is MBMBaM).

There's no wrong way to listen to podcasts, really. Some of them benefit more from completionist listening (Adventure Zone) but you could just skip arcs if you're not feeling it. I am also a weirdo who listens to every podcast at 1.5x (with Overcast's Smart Speed) by default.

The ads, though... yeah. I'd rather have (unimpressive) Switcheroos like quarterly rather than listen to any further MaxFun show ads.