Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I stay or should I go?
This poll is closed.
Please stay 195 31.20%
Go away 136 21.76%
Who cares? 99 15.84%
gently caress you op, your soccer sucks and your tea tastes like poo poo! 195 31.20%
Total: 625 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Son of Rodney posted:

this whole thing is like a long argument between two spouses, where one person after years of perceived slights just flips out and punshes the wall

then it turns out he broke his hand, and the hole in the wall is making that side of the house collapse

Come on. The English always felt superior to the Continent such that the thought of them being second to the Germans in the order of the European Union was simply intolerable.

English resentment of Germany was a considerable factor in Brexit IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Neurosis posted:

as someone not in the uk i think the posts i am seeing on facebook etc have a lower ratio of knowledge to outrage than on any occasion I can remember.

Yeah, its cool how basically everyone took sides based on which side they identify with and almost no idea whether the result would be good or bad.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NutritiousSnack posted:

That's what the GOP thought about the /pol/ people, but they ended up taking over the party. There is no such thing as a Centrist anymore and won't be for awhile since they lead to thirty years of disastrous Neoliberal rule in the US. If Clinton loses or barely wins and alienates the base more like the GOP did, 2020 is going to the Democrat version of Trumping with establishment Democrats not only losing but being told they have small dicks/dried up vaginas and that they should probably self harm.

Oh ye of little faith, Kayne 2020

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
The Democrats plan is to just elect Obama and legalize gay marriage every 4 years until the end of time.

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie

Maoist Pussy posted:

The Democrats plan is to just elect Obama and legalize gay marriage every 4 years until the end of time.

reminder: obama was against gay marriage until it hit 51% favorability with the public

literally a coward lol

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

USSAr posted:

reminder: obama was against gay marriage until it hit 51% favorability with the public

literally a coward lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhHUbAPQ47E

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
in shocking news, muslim born in kenya doesn't care about rights of people inUSA

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

USSAr posted:

literally a coward lol

Yeah but Obama won elections. Something the left is really bad at in this country at the moment.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Volume posted:

A question for liberals; now that you see that throwing tantrums and calling people racist didn't work when the other side has facts on its side will you guys attempt to change your style or will you just hunker down and scream racist even louder?
I don't know yet. I'll have to wait for the Central Liberal Steering Committee to provide me with the up-to-date rhetoric for use by us, the liberal straw hivemind, for suppressing upstanding, independent conservatives.

Guys have you gotten any word yet?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

USSAr posted:

literally a coward lol

Yeah, but he also said "gently caress the sovereignty of Pakistan" and sent in the SEALs to neutralize the gently caress out of Bin Laden. Checkm8 :smuggo:

Elukka posted:

I don't know yet. I'll have to wait for the Central Liberal Steering Committee to provide me with the up-to-date rhetoric for use by us, the liberal straw hivemind, for suppressing upstanding, independent conservatives.

Guys have you gotten any word yet?

New strategy is applying for political asylum in literally every other European country.

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015
Well done idiots of England, we now face years of turmoil all for a warm sense of nationalistic pride. Woohoo!

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
How will we ever survive being from one country like everyone ever

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug
This gets better and better...

English swamped Google searching "What is EU?" and "What happens if UK leaves EU?" AFTER they voted.
Nincompoops didn't know what they were voting for.

Here

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

as bad as the whole thing is having to live in it (england's not a nice place even when its economy is working) it's funny watching rich people flip their poo poo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the thing i still cant wrap my head around about all this is that, essentially, one person did this.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

steady posted:

This gets better and better...

English swamped Google searching "What is EU?" and "What happens if UK leaves EU?" AFTER they voted.
Nincompoops didn't know what they were voting for.

Here

If they'd googled it earlier brexit would have won by more and the markets wouldn't have crashed due to panic.

Everything's going to be okay.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

the thing i still cant wrap my head around about all this is that, essentially, one person did this.

actually it was like 17 million people

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

cock hero flux posted:

Libs can't accept democracy and have to come up with bizarre excuses to explain why they lost instead

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

well of course but what i mean was that there didnt seem to be any major public demand for the referendum at the time it was announced but rather that cameron announced it then entirely for his own political reasons

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 25, 2016

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Nationalism is good and Europe was a more vibrant & interesting place when it had more distinct national identities.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

NutritiousSnack posted:

That's what the GOP thought about the /pol/ people, but they ended up taking over the party. There is no such thing as a Centrist anymore and won't be for awhile since they lead to thirty years of disastrous Neoliberal rule in the US. If Clinton loses or barely wins and alienates the base more like the GOP did, 2020 is going to the Democrat version of Trumping with establishment Democrats not only losing but being told they have small dicks/dried up vaginas and that they should probably self harm.

Political extremism is the wave of the future and Sanders was the nice guy candidate who would made the transition easy as opposed to a liberal Trump esque rear end in a top hat who will get off humiliating them.

Thank you, I will be eligible to run for president in 2020. I look forward to your support and drinking Bud Light from right wing democrats skull caps on the campaign trail.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
All I know is that I should have exchanged for some dollars before the ref. I'm moving to Vietnam soon and now my money is worth 20% less than a few days ago.

The leave side won purely because so many old people who still have that Great British nationalist mindset voted leave, and what's worse, they won't be affected for as long by the result.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manic X posted:

All I know is that I should have exchanged for some dollars before the ref. I'm moving to Vietnam soon and now my money is worth 20% less than a few days ago.

Give it a week, it'll bounce back.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

well of course but what i mean was that there didnt seem to be any major public demand for the referendum at the time it was announced but rather that cameron announced it then entirely for his own political reasons

Leave sentiment was growing and there were a few people agitating for a referendum. I think Cameron could have easily put it off without facing any sort of public backlash, but decided that he would call it quickly in the hopes that Leave wouldn't have built up enough steam, the referendum would fail, and everyone would shut up about it. He was probably thinking that, with the trend showing support growing, and his term stretching out ahead of him, that he'd have to hold one eventually, and the sooner it happened the less likely it would be to win.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

cock hero flux posted:

Leave sentiment was growing and there were a few people agitating for a referendum. I think Cameron could have easily put it off without facing any sort of public backlash, but decided that he would call it quickly in the hopes that Leave wouldn't have built up enough steam, the referendum would fail, and everyone would shut up about it. He was probably thinking that, with the trend showing support growing, and his term stretching out ahead of him, that he'd have to hold one eventually, and the sooner it happened the less likely it would be to win.

then the refugee crisis built steam and it was all over by the shouting (of 'allahu akbar!!!'). gg david.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
You can't say there was no leave sentiment. UKIP got a serious amounts of votes in the election even if they did get gently caress all seats.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's funny to think of cameron ascending to the vaunted status of World Leader, blissfully ignorant of the fact that one day the highlights of his reign would be marked down in the history books as "hosed Pig. Destroyed Europe."

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
A later vote would have given more time for discussion regarding the realities of a British exit. Either it was too late already, at which point a longer period of discussion and education would have been the only route to diminish the leave sentiment, or it would have happened whether he called it early or not, which still would have been an argument for waiting.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I like the part where both Boris and Corybn gave up a life time of principles to pick the winning side. A coin was flipped and corbyn is a double looser now

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Blue & orange hair think we should keep voting until we achieve the desired democratic result !!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629324

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Mein Eyes! posted:

A later vote would have given more time for discussion regarding the realities of a British exit. Either it was too late already, at which point a longer period of discussion and education would have been the only route to diminish the leave sentiment, or it would have happened whether he called it early or not, which still would have been an argument for waiting.

the polls were open until like 7 though

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

objects in mirror posted:

Come on. The English always felt superior to the Continent such that the thought of them being second to the Germans in the order of the European Union was simply intolerable.

English resentment of Germany was a considerable factor in Brexit IMO

England destroyed itself over World Cup envy.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
my favorite thing about this is how "surprised" and angry the "educated" are about this

white liberalism strikes again

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Oh drat, I almost forgot, does this mean we're disqualified from the Euro League?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

BREXXX

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Junior Jr. posted:

Oh drat, I almost forgot, does this mean we're disqualified from the Euro League?
No. Switzerland and Russia aren't disqualified, neither.
Well. At least not because they aren't members of the EU.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
goddamn if Theresa May become PM we might get actual death camps

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I hate yankees posted:

my favorite thing about this is how "surprised" and angry the "educated" are about this

Rich kids who don't get their way for once

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Everyone likes to make fun of Americas electoral system, but we can't gently caress up this badly with a simple majority vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Bishop posted:

Everyone likes to make fun of Americas electoral system, but we can't gently caress up this badly with a simple majority vote.

I hope the living south park episode that was the british English referendum serves to steer America a little away from its own terrible "lol" choice. Otherwise it'll be Boris and Trump combining into The Hair Club Presidents:

• Locked thread