Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Aerofallosov posted:

Is Seeds of Memories worth it at 30% off? I'm curious but I don't want to get it if it's - super bad on a tablet.

I wouldn't even play that thing for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I booted up Story of Seasons and then realized that it's just so inferior to Rune Factory 4 and started a new file in that instead. I quit originally because I didn't like the combat (rune factory where the exploration retains RPG elements but loses the actual combat would be my ideal), but setting the difficulty to easy helped a lot

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There were a bunch of interviews with the Bokujo producer that came out around E3 and the stock response to marriage/relationship questions was "this series primarily sells in Japan and primarily to children so we'll continue catering to them and maybe do other stuff if we feel like it"
That's...

...okay, so I don't know a lot about Japanese culture. Is it actively awful to mention homosexuality over there? Why would children care? Isn't it just setting a flag so you can marry whoever with literally zero personality changes or new assets because you have to code marriage for both playable genders anyway?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

bad people freaking out about gay content in things for kids is sadly pretty universal I feel

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They could do that but their other comment on the matter was "we might do it someday but it we'd need extra resources to make gay marriage candidates and it's a lot of work" so I guess just making all the regular candidates gender-neutral isn't going to happen.

I think it's the "children" part that's the roadblock, they probably just want to keep the game under a certain age rating or something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know it's a SJW thing to say but why can't gay lez or trans just be treated like people? It's so dumb to treat it like a sexual deviance and it bothers me to no end. this is why gay highschool kids kill themselves.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm pretty sure they just want to make unique gay/lesbian characters or they're just lazy and know since kids are their main demo that those kids wouldn't even care much.

Rune factory 4 has my fave gay marriage btw

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm pretty sure they just want to make unique gay/lesbian characters or they're just lazy and know since kids are their main demo that those kids wouldn't even care much.

Rune factory 4 has my fave gay marriage btw

Wait, RF4 has gay marriage?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
after you beat the main story, you can change your portrait/model into the opposite sex main character. It's fun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In RF4, what's the penalty for growing things in the wrong season?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

cheetah7071 posted:

If I remember correctly they just grow a little more slowly if it's already growing. It's not like Harvest Moon where everything dies out the instant the season changes.

I don't think it stops you from growing stuff out of season, even if it's listed as a crop's bad season. Not that that matters since you have extra season-fixed fields so you can minmax to some degree if you're feeling it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They could do that but their other comment on the matter was "we might do it someday but it we'd need extra resources to make gay marriage candidates and it's a lot of work" so I guess just making all the regular candidates gender-neutral isn't going to happen.

I think it's the "children" part that's the roadblock, they probably just want to keep the game under a certain age rating or something.

devs come up with the weirdest bullshit reasons for not doing things they are just plain set against. remember the last guardian, the game that was meant to be a sequel to ico/shadow of the colossus?

quote:

Ueda stated initially they had considered using a small girl instead of a boy to interact with the creature, but realized they would have issues with an accurate representation of the girl's stamina while climbing on the creature, and further issues with questionable camera angles during climbing scenes with the girl, wearing a short skirt.

this is the same thing... just a bunch of weird non-reasons that basically add up to "i have issues with it and i'm not gonna". are western audiences the only ones asking for gay marriage in story of seasons? this could be just a politer response instead of "japanese people don't care about gays and neither do i"

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

The main thing is that they grow slower, and if the description of the crop specifically says that it's a bad season then it gets pretty slow. However, out of season crops are also harder to giantize

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

lol that after eda dies and there's this poignant scene about how you need to look after the farm she's spent so long building up, the entire area is just razed to the ground

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Corridor posted:

lol that after eda dies and there's this poignant scene about how you need to look after the farm she's spent so long building up, the entire area is just razed to the ground

I was so happy to get the new land I wasn't too concerned, but now that you mention it; that's kind of awful.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish Margaret were a little less crappy in combat because she is my BFF and I like adventuring with her and my future husband

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Have you given her better equipment yet? That usually helps a little.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Allarion posted:

Have you given her better equipment yet? That usually helps a little.

Yeah but it didn't occur to me until just now that I should probably give her spells too :downs:

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

One of the many things I like about RF4 is that a lot of the marriage candidate dialogue is unchanged between the male and female protagonists. Including the constant "I-it's not like I like you or anything!" dialogue they all switch to once you get enough hearts.

It was highly amusing that Dylas found it necessary to scare off a drunk guy hitting on Lest, because Lest is unaware that he's "too cute".

Being able to change all your art assets over the other gendered protagonist means Lest can finally reciprocate Dylas's horsely manly affections.

Here, I've got a carrot for you. :heysexy:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Giant Boy Detective posted:

One of the many things I like about RF4 is that a lot of the marriage candidate dialogue is unchanged between the male and female protagonists. Including the constant "I-it's not like I like you or anything!" dialogue they all switch to once you get enough hearts.

It was highly amusing that Dylas found it necessary to scare off a drunk guy hitting on Lest, because Lest is unaware that he's "too cute".

Being able to change all your art assets over the other gendered protagonist means Lest can finally reciprocate Dylas's horsely manly affections.

creepy

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

speaking of creepy, klaus' heart event is even worse to watch than to read about. i think it's because all his flirting is so overtly sexual, which just has this massive dissonance with innocent childish HM world. plus your character is so childlike that she don't have a clue what he's on about, and then she freaks out and runs away, so it gives off a really humbert humbert vibe :stare:

i will never complain about the marriage options being too young ever again! was this your plan all along, hashimoto...?

on a less gross note: does anyone know how to get the Large Refrigerator/Storage? the wikis say that it will just show up in Silk Country after shipping 500 000g, but I've shipped over a million and it's not there... nor is it in my own blueprint selection so i didn't buy it accidentally.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Jesus christ dude. I know you're a bit retarded but use the edit button if you think of something within 5 minutes of your previous post.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

poo poo like this is why they don't want to put in gay marriage.

How many of you actually care about the farming/sim aspects anymore, and how many of you are just here for deformed anime chibis noticing senpai and blushing? Would it not be easier to get what you want by just playing visual novels?

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 27, 2016

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Gibbo posted:

Jesus christ dude. I know you're a bit retarded but use the edit button if you think of something within 5 minutes of your previous post.

poo poo like this is why they don't want to put in gay marriage.

How many of you actually care about the farming/sim aspects anymore, and how many of you are just here for deformed anime chibis noticing senpai and blushing? Would it not be easier to get what you want by just playing visual novels?

hi gibbo! still waiting on a response from you, here is my post in case you missed it

Corridor posted:

Gibbo, let's be friends. See, I'm typing with nice grammar and punctuation just for you. :) What is your favourite Rune Factory, and what characters do you like?

Personally, while I know that RF3 and RF4 are technically better games, I just find RF2 to be so charming.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you're a weird dude gibbo

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Cake Attack posted:

you're a weird dude gibbo

I'm not going to argue the statement itself, but I'm a weird dude for voicing my irritation over someone's bad posting habits and wishing that the series of games I enjoy would focus on the things that made it successful in the first place?

Meanwhile you've got Giant Boy Detective posting about his weird horse fetishes or some poo poo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gibbo posted:

I'm not going to argue the statement itself, but I'm a weird dude for voicing my irritation over someone's bad posting habits and wishing that the series of games I enjoy would focus on the things that made it successful in the first place?

Meanwhile you've got Giant Boy Detective posting about his weird horse fetishes or some poo poo.

that was a bad post too, granted

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Gibbo posted:

What do you actually like about Harvest Moon, Gibbo? I've only seen you mention the things you hate, or don't want people to talk about.

Also, the dating/marriage mechanic has been around since the very first game... I'm pretty sure this was also instrumental in its success...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was a bad post but lol at you flipping out over people who don't take posting in the anime game farming thread seriously, or like the character interaction in harvest moon more than the farming

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ToT adds capybaras as pets. All in all there are 28 different breeds of pet available, which I guess they decided to go all in since you can have your pet follow you around towns and whatnot.

Anyway that's really important to me, because capybaras are super chill, unlike this thread.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

is a capybara just a guinea pig?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That is a good set of pets available to choose from.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

is a capybara just a guinea pig?

but huge

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

The character interactions are obviously a key point of the games, and enjoyable. I'm poking at these people who are far too invested in their cartoon peoples yelling about how they need to make every townsperson a viable candidate and gender boundaries need not be a thing blah blah blah, and seemingly want that at the cost of farming/merchantry side of things. If these people want character interaction as the main point of the game, it seems like it would be much easier to just go play a visual novel game.

They've continued to backseat the farming (in the HM games, it can get shelved all it wants in RF) through a series of bad mechanics changes(the loving market game) or arbitrary time gating(why plant anything else ever when flax is available early), while "focusing" on other things like furniture. If I cared about furniture I'd go play the sims or animal crossing.

Part of what made the first couple games successful was they stumbled upon a good balance right out the door. But of course, change is mandatory over time and they've gone from good to bad to worse as sales decrease and they start doing poo poo like "oh gotta cram minecraft into it"

I've never tried to say people can't talk about things. But this is the internet. You need to be fully willing to be blindly insulted by a frothmouthed idiot if you want to discuss something.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Corridor posted:

on a less gross note: does anyone know how to get the Large Refrigerator/Storage? the wikis say that it will just show up in Silk Country after shipping 500 000g, but I've shipped over a million and it's not there... nor is it in my own blueprint selection so i didn't buy it accidentally.

Have you bought other fridge-related blueprints? You might have to get the lesser ones first or clear out some of the list before it appears. I know I'll occasionally buy up all the miscellaneous blueprints and then still more show up.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

Have you bought other fridge-related blueprints? You might have to get the lesser ones first or clear out some of the list before it appears. I know I'll occasionally buy up all the miscellaneous blueprints and then still more show up.

ah, you were right. i hadn't bothered to buy the stuff i wasn't planning to build, but after i cleared out all their blueprint inventories, every vendor got new stuff in the next day, including the large-xx stuff. thx a bunch

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
This thread needs to relax its posting standards. You're all playing a farming game meant for kids, chill.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm at the point where gay marriage won't satisfy me, I need gay polygamy so I can marry Margaret and Leon (and I'm sure I could wrangle up a few more spouses once the option was open)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Imo Harvest Moon should have gay marriage, namaste.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
i should be able to marry my 3ds cartridges gently caress you natsume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I hope that they implement gay marriages. Sometimes the bachelorettes are just way more awesome than the bachelors. I'm still not over losing that feature in DS Cute because the witch, mermaid et al were a thousand times more awesome than the dudes. Actually, I didn't buy DS Cute because of it and that the male marriage options were kind of eh.

As for why people make a big deal of it, why not? It sucks having your sexuality completely ignored in media, including games and TV. Marriage is a big chunk of HM games. People forget that beyond the farming stuff, it is a social game. It's generally hard to advance if you never make friends, after all.

• Locked thread