Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
Man the excitement on Takeru's face when he gets hit is so cool. He's like Lawler but fueled by joy instead of blood-rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

drat, Kaew is so good. Thanks for posting that video.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I absolutely hate K-1 rules. Let people clinch and grab kicks. That poo poo is cool as gently caress.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Clinching is incredibly boring most of the time

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

On the other hand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1SwrvgcSis&t=110s

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

vainman posted:

I disagree.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

vainman posted:

they banned the clinch because buakaw beat masato into a giant bruise, not because it's boring. clinch fighting is awesome, and it makes grabbing and holding to defend very risky.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

they banned the clinch because buakaw beat masato into a giant bruise, not because it's boring. clinch fighting is awesome, and it makes grabbing and holding to defend very risky.

And also because Schilt was killing people in the clinch.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
It's mostly Schilt, Masato was popular yes, but MAX was not as popular as the actual K-1 WGP and Fuji paid more money than TBS. There was also lots of boring TV politics proxy war stuff because Dynamite aired on Fuji but often wanted MAX/HERO'S guys on their channel so they could big brother TBS. But anyway, Schilt wasn't very TV friendly and was also very easy to cheer against, so they did everything to make it harder for him and stop him loving up the guys they wanted to sell, up to and including paying Semmy Schilt to pull out of a fight with Bob Sapp due to a "bowling injury".

Honestly I can see both sides. When there's excessive clinching KB/MT fights can be a real slog, and TV people very definitely know what they want, which is for everybody to be Takeru. Personally I liked the poorly communicated one strike in the clinch/one handed clinch rule, it was different enough to delineate kickboxing from MT without making the clinch useless.

Round 2 of this fight shows what I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Sfl6q9ufY

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also remember K-1 adjusting the clinch rules due to Overeem kneeing the ever living poo poo out of people. It was that or it was super close to around that time. Shame it didn't save Zimmerman from death by knees though. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhjK3KzSgtY&t=95s

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
GLORY 31 is pretty good so far. If you have Fightpass the superfight series was great and Murthel Groenhart is looking sharp again in the Welterweight tournament

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I also remember K-1 adjusting the clinch rules due to Overeem kneeing the ever living poo poo out of people. It was that or it was super close to around that time. Shame it didn't save Zimmerman from death by knees though. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhjK3KzSgtY&t=95s

That's Teixeira, but he certainly died yes

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biafraid posted:

That's Teixeira, but he certainly died yes

That's right. My bad.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Everytime RVR flurries arm punches to the back of Sittichai's head when he knees RVR, the commentators react like he's Tyson beating up someone

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Congrats to Sittichai. Never thought a Dutch kickboxing champion would lose a decision to a Thai in Amsterdam.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Glory on right now, and despite underwhelming star power it's been a great card so far.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
I almost went to that card but I pushed back my trip to Norfolk to next weekend

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

https://twitter.com/LiverKickdotcom/status/756912217463803904

if I placed any money on this it would be on the fight not happening via Badr incarceration

edit: apparently it is not for the belt

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Rico told Glory he wasn't going to fight for them again unless he got Badr, good that they can both finally fight someone worthwhile again but I also don't care much at this point. Badr is a shell of his former self.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It has been quite a while since we've heard about a savage waiter beating

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
badr now faces the toughest fight of his life: not getting arrested or imprisoned until the end of the year

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Why is the double forearm guard/bending to cover your core so popular as a defensive tool in k1?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Why is the double forearm guard/bending to cover your core so popular as a defensive tool in k1?

It works well enough defensively and doesn't take away your kicking base and range as much as some kinds of head movement would.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

It works well enough defensively and doesn't take away your kicking base and range as much as some kinds of head movement would.

Also, you're still in position to check a leg kick when you're doing it, which isn't the case with most types of defensively responsible head movement.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fatherdog posted:

Also, you're still in position to check a leg kick when you're doing it, which isn't the case with most types of defensively responsible head movement.

Oh yeah. In that sense, I guess it's a degenerate case of the Thai shield where you correctly assume your opponent will lead with hands and might throw a kick.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Bad: Hong Man Choi has signed to fight a 155lber in China

Good: Kunlun Fight are trying to make Artur Kyshenko vs Nieky Holzken

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Also for those who haven't seen Kyshenko since the K-1 MAX days, he looks like GSP now and has quietly made a pretty good name for himself on Chinese TV. Most of his fights are with Kunlun now and they're doing very well for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqHu2Q44-Hg

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Bad: Hong Man Choi has signed to fight a 155lber in China

i'm unhappy that china and japan have chosen to utilise dangerous freakshow fights in order to secure a feeling of respect and understanding. i will probably watch this.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Also for those who haven't seen Kyshenko since the K-1 MAX days, he looks like GSP now and has quietly made a pretty good name for himself on Chinese TV. Most of his fights are with Kunlun now and they're doing very well for themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqHu2Q44-Hg

he had a bit of trouble establishing his range in that clip but his adjustments and power were very good.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
everyone else remember the badr documentary like six years back where he went back to Morocco to get his poo poo together? probably time for a sequel

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
spoiler alert badr didn't get his poo poo together

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Rico seems like the kind of kickboxer Badr easily handled during his prime but maybe I still have the memory of that awful Zimmerman fight in my head and its clouding my perception of him. It shouldn't matter either way though.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Badr's definitely exactly the kind of guy that's hosed Rico's world up in the past (ie Zimmerman, 300lb man with a bowl cut JBS) but to say he's lost a step is an understatement. I've got Rico just because he's actually been fighting, but it would be no surprise whatsoever to see Rico flail his arms at incoming punches and slump to the floor. His chin can't take what Badr's got, or at least what Badr should have after 4 months of steroids and HGH

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm still surprised some right-wing dutch politico hasn't used Badr Hari was a warning tale against immigration.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
And make himself a target of Badr Hari?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

coconono posted:

I'm still surprised some right-wing dutch politico hasn't used Badr Hari was a warning tale against immigration.

Geert Wilders has already said Hari should have his Dutch nationality stripped and be deported to Morocco

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dan Didio posted:

And make himself a target of Badr Hari?

Lol

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Geert Wilders has already said Hari should have his Dutch nationality stripped and be deported to Morocco

ah, Geert Wilders another bad politician with lovely hair. Seems to be a theme.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
karate made it into the 2020 olympics, presumably chest punching rules. we did it.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
I think it's wkf rules which has head punches afaict

the proposal included a kata event too I hope that made it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Yeah it's WKF, which means lots of nothing strikes to score points and "hi-yaa" ing. Disappointing.